1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

VCC is pin 5 on Genesis, pin 7 on Atari. This would require hardware support to supply a reasonable amount of current on one console and still have your bidirectional data bus on another. For instance, Genesis uses pin 7 to change which button presses get output on the controller data pins.

So suppose Kevtris decided to release an atari 2600 core for the Mega SG. Any nonstandard controller with active logic ie a trackball contoller, would likely brown out the digital logic high presented on pin 7 resulting in malfunction of the controller. While this is unlikely to cause damage to either the console or the stisk, it will not function correctly. Sticks with turbo fire may be in a similar way.

To truly support any console with a 9-pin plug, the console would need bidirectional data on all 9 pins as well as power switching transistors to supply the necessary strong vcc or gnd signals to necessary pins.

Additionally, low value shunt resistors or a resetable digital fuse is necessary on every power output pin to protect against shorts if an incompatible controller or device is connected.

This extra necessary hardware components and or schematics cannot be baked into the fpga firmware. So if the Mega SG were designed to operate as sega hardware, then there is no need for switching transistors or digital relays to change the vcc or gnd pins from their default configuration.

I understand that people would love to see another jack-of-all trades like the NT mini, that interfaces everything. A cartridge conversion for Super NT would be stupid easy, since the controller port essentially share the same pin standard. You can easily patch an SNES and NES extension cable.

However, the Retrousb AVS (with Everdrive or Powerpak) is currently the best available option for playing NES cart and accessories. The Super NT and Mega SG (with jb fimmware) make great 16-bit spiritual successors.

Kevtris was nice to include additional Sega cores and CD, so do not look a gift horse in the mouth. He could have produced a bog standard Genesis with no CD support, and SMS only through an PB or FM Mini adapter.

People get a free bonus, then expect the moon and the stars...

Just to be clear, I’m not asking for those things. I’m just pointing out one more commonality he missed between Colecovision and Atari 2600. The part about the Mega Sg is just how that same commonality with the Genesis might be utilized if Kevtris ever planned to add it to the Mega Sg. I don’t think he did plan on that or implement the required components and circuitry so the concerns you raise are likely valid. Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

For the same reason that the Super Nt doesn't support Game Boy games directly, even though it has an accessory to play GameBoy games. It's out of scope of the product. Besides, the Mega Sg does not officially support the ColecoVision in the first place.

My guess is that the Game Boy was not given away as a free core for the Super Nt because it was still a selling point for the Nt Mini at the time, obviously not an official feature, but I know a lot of people decided to buy one when all of the cores were announced with the jailbreak.

Analogue will obviously want to keep their options open for future FPGA consoles. There are only so many 8 and 16 bit systems which are popular enough to sell a dedicated FPGA based console around. I'm sure an all Game Boy based system is somewhere on their radar.

The ColecoVision was likely added to this because of it's similarities to the SG-1000 hardware, but other than hardware logic I see no other reason for it, not that I'm complaining of course. :)

I'm of course not demanding anything here, and if no other cores get released it's still a very nice product, but if I had a vote, it would be for the Atari 2600 core. Then I could put my ColecoVision hardware back in it's box for safe storage. The Coleco Phoenix would also not be able to use that as a selling point on why people should still buy their underwhelming product.

Some way to use original carts, 9 pin CV controllers (pads, steering wheel, Super Action Joysticks, and Roller Controller w/adapters would be amazing, but unlikely I know..

• Like 1

Before Kevtris releases any more cores for it, I hope he fixes audio issues in popular games. Just play Streets of Rage 2 and before you've successfully chosen your character, you'll hear some weird stuff. Especially on the character select screen. No amount of tweaking has fixed that for me yet.

I already fixed that one a week or so ago, but I have not pushed the update yet. I fixed a few other audio issues as well, such as the continuous tone on Phantasy Star IV

• Like 6

I already fixed that one a week or so ago, but I have not pushed the update yet. I fixed a few other audio issues as well, such as the continuous tone on Phantasy Star IV

That's awesome news. As far as I'm concerned it's a flawless device outside of that stuff and that thing with the db Electronics Sega CD cart I reported. And I have since sold the db cart and gotten a Japanese Mega CD cart and replaced the battery, so I'm good there. :)

Looks like I wasn’t the only one who tried 8BitDo DIY with the Hyperkin GN6 for the Mega Sg:

https://youtu.be/LiIZ1iZWEuc

This guy used the USB version though (mine was the Genesis version).

That's awesome news. As far as I'm concerned it's a flawless device outside of that stuff and that thing with the db Electronics Sega CD cart I reported. And I have since sold the db cart and gotten a Japanese Mega CD cart and replaced the battery, so I'm good there. :)

What was the issue there? Edited by CZroe

What was the issue there?

In the character select music, there's a horn "fall" where it hits the note and then the volume should drop when the pitch does. Right now the volume isn't dropping while a note is active. It takes effect on the next note on that channel. At least, that's what I think I hear.

• Like 1

There are still a few games that do not run on the Mega SG because the mapper is not supported. They are listed in the Unofficial Analogue Mega Sg Jailbreak Supplement. I would appreciate if support could be added in a future release of the firmware.

Some of these games are already supported on MiSTer FPGA. Maybe parts of the MiSTer source, which is open source, could be used to improve the Mega Sg firmware.

For example the Taiwanese memory mapper for SG-1000 games is supported on MiSTer's ColecoVision core (which also runs SG-1000 games) and the Korean Mapper for MSX ports or MSX dual compatible games is partly supported on the SMS core for MiSTer.

SK-1100 keyboard support for SG-1000 is implemented on the ColecoVision core for MiST (which also runs SG-1000 games). The source can also freely be used as open source. On the Mega Sg, a XB∀ND keyboard could be used instead of the SK-1100 keyboard.

Also it would be nice if there would be an option to change the video palette in VDP video mode 2 (which is shared by SMS and SG-1000 games). Currently only the video palette from the SG-1000 VDP is available which is slightly different from the SMS' video palette. Therefore SMS games with video mode 2 like F-16 Fighting Falcon are incorrectly played back using the SG-1000 palette while they should be using the SMS' palette.

• Like 1

Some of these games are already supported on MiSTer FPGA. Maybe parts of the MiSTer source, which is open source, could be used to improve the Mega Sg firmware.

Kevin told My Life in Gaming he's explicitly not playing with MiSTer or looking at their source so that he isn't accused of stealing from them. MiSTer is a community project and Mega Sg is a commercial product. I don't know the license used for MiSTer source, but many OSS license preclude commercial projects.

Final Burn Alpha was licensed like that, but then Barry Harris unilaterally licensed it to Capcom, and that's why Final Burn Alpha is no more and there's a Barry Harris-less Final Burn Neo. People don't take kindly to their donated work being used by someone else for financial gain, and I don't blame them.

• Like 1

Kevin told My Life in Gaming he's explicitly not playing with MiSTer or looking at their source so that he isn't accused of stealing from them. MiSTer is a community project and Mega Sg is a commercial product. I don't know the license used for MiSTer source, but many OSS license preclude commercial projects.

Final Burn Alpha was licensed like that, but then Barry Harris unilaterally licensed it to Capcom, and that's why Final Burn Alpha is no more and there's a Barry Harris-less Final Burn Neo. People don't take kindly to their donated work being used by someone else for financial gain, and I don't blame them.

The open source license doesn’t preclude a commercial license. It often means “you are free to use it non-commercially unless you pay us for a commercial license.” That really only works when the one selling the commercial license has the rights to do so and that may not be he case for an open source project with many contributors who did not get to collaborate on the commercial license terms.

Have you been able to fix Pier Solar when connected to a model 1 Sega CD? I own a genuine Pier Solar cartridge from the reprint run they did. If I boot with the Mega SG connected to my model 1 Sega CD I can’t get past the Watermelon logo screen. It goes straight to a red screen. Pressing the reset button doesn’t help. It does the same thing still. If I disconnect the Sega CD, the game boots normally.

Something really cool I just found out is that RetroUSB is adding pallet swapping on the AVS via their Scoreboard app in the next update! With some extra compatibility to boot. Honestly, I'm happy with the AVS as is but having updated, current pallets is going to be really nice.

Here's a link to the Nintendo Age thread with the info.

• Like 2

Something really cool I just found out is that RetroUSB is adding pallet swapping on the AVS via their Scoreboard app in the next update! With some extra compatibility to boot. Honestly, I'm happy with the AVS as is but having updated, current pallets is going to be really nice. Here's a link to the Nintendo Age thread with the info.

How is that different than the current ability to switch to the 4 or so different color palettes on the AVS?

I noticed with the last AVS firmware update they added an option for vertical interpolation, which was nice, but in the process it broke compatibility with RetroUSB's own 8-BIT XMAS 2018 cart. They acknowledged the bug, but have yet to address or fix it.

Here's what it does.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpsRgFB6ZEs

Hopefully they will fix it. It looks kind of bad to not even with with their own game.

I'd love to see it add a CopyNES function so we can dump our own NES carts.

• Like 1

How is that different than the current ability to switch to the 4 or so different color palettes on the AVS?

I noticed with the last AVS firmware update they added an option for vertical interpolation, which was nice, but in the process it broke compatibility with RetroUSB's own 8-BIT XMAS 2018 cart. They acknowledged the bug, but have yet to address or fix it.

Here's what it does..

Hopefully they will fix it. It looks kind of bad to not even with with their own game.

I'd love to see it add a CopyNES function so we can dump our own NES carts.

Right now you can select four colour palettes, yes, but they're fairly outdated by this point. The updated app/firmware combo would allow you to side load any palette you wanted, which means that if new palettes are released we won't have to wait for them to be implemented. Everyone wins, although I understand it's a lot of work for Bunnyboy to implement.

I kind of wish there was CopyNES functionality too. Considering that the Scoreboard app supports the whole high-score functionality by checksumming game carts I want to believe that it's technically possible, but you never know! I'm not an FPGA programmer so I'm not going to jump to conclusions. It would be nice to have that 2018 cart fixed though...

• Like 1

One kind of nice thing if you get the DIY kit for the Playstation Classic controller is that the controller is built in such a way that you are not replacing the actual button contacts like you do with every other 8bitdo DIY controller. You are only replacing a small board in the controller that is separate from the actual button contacts. So, if you are happy with the diagonals and everything on the Playstation classic controller that should't change with the DIY kit on that particular controller. It's pretty cool I have been playing Spelunky with it and it feels just like a Playstation controller. I know some people have strong opinions about the diagonals and contacts of the 8bitdo boards It is only the PS Classic controller that has this new setup inside. The DIY kits for the old PSX controllers are like all their other kits. I only bought the PS Classic because of the controllers, LOL. They are only $40 right now and come with two of them. They do work wired on PC as well... I kept one wired and one I used a DIY kit.

Here is the install video to see what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXxYoQAJzBY

Edited by Toth

Right now you can select four colour palettes, yes, but they're fairly outdated by this point. The updated app/firmware combo would allow you to side load any palette you wanted, which means that if new palettes are released we won't have to wait for them to be implemented. Everyone wins, although I understand it's a lot of work for Bunnyboy to implement.

I kind of wish there was CopyNES functionality too. Considering that the Scoreboard app supports the whole high-score functionality by checksumming game carts I want to believe that it's technically possible, but you never know! I'm not an FPGA programmer so I'm not going to jump to conclusions. It would be nice to have that 2018 cart fixed though...

Ahh, OK. That makes sense...might as well future proof it.

I know you can transfer the battery SRAM saves with the AVS app, which is definitely appreciated! I backed up all of my old carts which still had my 30+ year old saves on it, such as Zelda. I did the same with my other system copiers (SNES/Super Wild Card DX, GEN/Super Magic Drive, N64/Doctor V64, and portables with various 90's flash/linker devices. And being able to dump your own roms as well is always a nice thing to have for a variety of reasons.

Brian also mentioned that it was possible to have it play GB/GBC roms, but he didn't go into detail, and I honestly don't know where they would be sourced from since there is no SDCard. I guess it would have to be over a powered USB transfer, such as a PC, in conjunction with a rom sender (VGS), at which point it might not be worth the trouble.

But yeah, the palettes will be nice, a rom dumper would be incredible, and I REALLY hope he fixes the nasty FW bug which keeps me from using my brand new RetroUSB 8-Bit XMAS 2018 cart. Not working with the AVS, but working fine on a Retron NES clone is a bit embarrassing, speaking as an owner of the AVS and XMAS 2018 cart.

One kind of nice thing if you get the DIY kit for the Playstation Classic controller is that the controller is built in such a way that you are not replacing the actual button contacts like you do with every other 8bitdo DIY controller. You are only replacing a small board in the controller that is separate from the actual button contacts. So, if you are happy with the diagonals and everything on the Playstation classic controller that should't change with the DIY kit on that particular controller. It's pretty cool I have been playing Spelunky with it and it feels just like a Playstation controller. I know some people have strong opinions about the diagonals and contacts of the 8bitdo boards It is only the PS Classic controller that has this new setup inside. The DIY kits for the old PSX controllers are like all their other kits. I only bought the PS Classic because of the controllers, LOL. They are only $40 right now and come with two of them. They do work wired on PC as well... I kept one wired and one I used a DIY kit.

Here is the install video to see what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXxYoQAJzBY

Yep. PS Classic has the more modern mylar film construction inside. Well, “modern” as far as PlayStation designs go. Atari 5200 and others were doing it a looooooong time ago!

Thanks for the impressions. I got mine days ago but haven’t installed it yet since I boxed up my PS Classic somewhere. Did you get the $5 off coupon that 8BitDo were offering for DIY kits last month?

Edit:

f3dc48dff64f199c84cf0b83aac42a86.jpg

3x SNES, 2x SEGA, 1x PSX

PSX one took a bit of a beating in transit!

Edited by CZroe

Awe, no I missed out on the $5. I often forget to look for coupons and discounts...

Bummer. It really flew under the radar. They didn’t sucker you into the expensive DHL shipping, at least (assuming you ordered around launch like I did). ;)

Since the $5 credit expired so quickly I tried to get Bob/RetroRGB to mention it when he reported on the new PSX kits but he didn’t. :( I think the credits were only valid for less than two weeks (mid to late May). I figure he’s gotta be careful about stuff like that since people might try to get him to inadvertently shill for their stuff by presenting their marketing as news.

It certainly did the trick and got me to order more. Heck, I might be squandering that discount to pay shipping on another PS Classic DIY kit if I like mine as much as you. :)

At this rate I am starting to believe that the DAC is vaporware but I really hope this isn't the case. I have a bunch of Analogue systems sitting in shrink wrap that have never been used. Please tell us something Analogue.

Since the CEO Christopher Taber said the DAC is 99.9% done I hope he keep his promise and release it soon:
I don't know if Mega SG still dragging all theirs avaliable time and they cannot release another hardware now or if they plan to first make DAC compatible with 32X then release.
A month or so ago I let Analogue know (twitter) that I'm still interested in the DAC. I also have a Super NT sealed waiting for "analogue" connectivity. ;)
23e.jpg
RELEASE THE DAC...EN! :D
  • Like 1

At this rate I am starting to believe that the DAC is vaporware but I really hope this isn't the case. I have a bunch of Analogue systems sitting in shrink wrap that have never been used. Please tell us something Analogue.

That's one of the reasons I've kept my original systems in play. I use them more on my CRT than I do the Analogue versions via HDMI. Although, my captures are 99% via Analogue system play.

I do wonder if they are working on something bigger, like a proper 240p ADC to pair with the DAC (useful for other consoles and the 32X).

That said, it’s only been a couple months since the Mega Sg and they did say “2019,” which didn’t exactly scream “weeks away” to me. Figured it’d be several months at least.

• Like 1