1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The DAC is real guys.    Also, new Super NT and Mega SG firmware has been released!!!

Mega SG:

v4.6 notes:

- Added DAC compatibility (required for DAC)
- Adjusted boot audio level
- Fixed left side green line when HQX scalers active
- Bubble Bobble SMS fixed

Super NT:

v4.8 notes:

- Added user font loading
- Added RGB sliders for standby color
- Added SPC player
- Fixed top missing scanline bug
- Added new scanline system
- L/R audio input bug fix
- Fixed "you cannot use a mouse with this game" on Panic Bomber World
- Fixed Star Wars pausing bug
- Many small fixes and changes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

The DAC is real guys.    Also, new Super NT and Mega SG firmware has been released!!!

Mega SG:

v4.6 notes:

Super NT:

v4.8 notes:

- Added SPC player

Does the DAC support YPbPr (YUV) component video output?

No signs so far of this enabling 32X support?

And I would hope this supports the best standard definition analog standard in North America. Would be a shame if it's RGB only.

Also, what's the SPC player? Is it something that will let me load up a SNES game and just cycle through its music?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spoonman said:

Does the DAC support YPbPr (YUV) component video output?

I think it will be like the nt mini: from the d-sub conector you can have anything analog: composite, s vídeo, rgb and also component. Just use the monoprice adapters or build your own cable using the layout posted in nt mini support page long ago:

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/115000923948-Using-Analog-Video-output-with-the-Nt-mini

9 minutes ago, hyrulebr said:

I´m not expert but looking to the pcb I was expecting something simple, with less components. Even a cyclone 10 is there. Maybe is just for the test board...

Naaa, the Cyclone 10 carries the bitstream.  That PCB is basically the final hardware its just making sure the software is in a good state.

I´m not expert but looking to the pcb I was expecting something simple, with less components. Even a cyclone 10 is there. Maybe is just for the test board...    

Because of the shape around the HDMI port on Super Nt and Mega Sg I've been imagining something that looks like the RF Modulator for N64, only with an 8 or 9 pin mini-DIN or 15-pin D-Sub on the end. I can't see this getting condensed down to that so I guess that concept is out the window. atariage_icon_smile.gif  

2 hours ago, Newsdee said:

I wonder if it would work with other (non Analogue) systems. They would have a broader market if so.

If the signal coming out of the Analogue systems is compatible with pretty much any TV wouldn't it kind of have to support other HDMI devices?  I have no clue but it would be pretty cool.

It would be so cool to use this with the GBAConsolizer.

Edited by Toth

12 minutes ago, Toth said:

If the signal coming out of the Analogue systems is compatible with pretty much any TV wouldn't it kind of have to support other HDMI devices?  I have no clue but it would be pretty cool.

I´m expecting something like Nt mini. When you use the HDMI the signal is processed at 60hz to keep under HDMI specs and keep compatible with all tvs. But using analog out, the signal will have the real refresh rate of the console. I can´t find now, but here in the past someone commented about how the signal could be out of HDMI specs but still going out of HDMI connector. This kind of signal that I think will be use with DAC and maybe some type of auto detection (if technically possible) to avoid someone trying to use this signal in his digital TV. 

Just now, hyrulebr said:

I´m expecting something like Nt mini. When you use the HDMI the signal is processed at 60hz to keep under HDMI specs and keep compatible with all tvs. But using analog out, the signal will have the real refresh rate of the console. I can´t find now, but here in the past someone commented about how the signal could be out of HDMI specs but still going out of HDMI connector. This kind of signal that I think will be use with DAC and maybe some type of auto detection (if technically possible) to avoid someone trying to use this signal in his digital TV. 

Also, if both firmware had to be updated to include support, I guess that the DAC doesn´t use a standard HDMI signal. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Toth said:

It may be optimized only for whatever frequencies the SNT and MSG are using. Or worse, it could not be using an HDMI signal at all (basically bypassing the internal upscaler).

Whatever the case, its going to be obvious soon as I expect at least some reviewers/beta testers will be curious to.try :)

9 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Mega SG:

v4.6 notes:

Super NT:

v4.8 notes:

- Added SPC player

Awesome sauce. I previously had to use the "force NTT controller compatibility" hack in order to get PAnic Bomber to work. :D :thumbsup: 

IIRC we figured a while back that there are enough pins on the Super Nt to make that work (for regular cartridge games, anyhow, not sure about stuff like the disk system adapter). Problem is, it's not the most elegant solution, and wouldn't have NES or Famicom controller ports built-in (yet more adapters). No mic jack either. A cost-reduced Nt Mini (plastic shell and no built-in analog output) would make more sense, IMO.

The wait game starts for the JB fw with all the fixes.

It's interesting they had to enable DAC support on both, obviously the output is not HDMI spec anymore (can be just timing or a completely different beast) .... 

the Cyclone 10 LP 006 is pretty inexpensive at about 10US$

https://www.mouser.com/Intel/Semiconductors/Programmable-Logic-ICs/FPGA-Field-Programmable-Gate-Array/_/N-3oh9p?P=1y9hzufZ1yy6lwuZ1yxyvun

I wonder what the final cost of the DAC would be.

enlarged pic of the DAC proto here:

EBbEpCeUYAAqVBI.jpg:large

1 minute ago, phoenixdownita said:

The wait game starts for the JB fw with all the fixes.

It's interesting they had to enable DAC support on both, obviously the output is not HDMI spec anymore (can be just timing or a completely different beast) .... 

the Cyclone 10 LP 006 is pretty inexpensive at about 10US$

https://www.mouser.com/Intel/Semiconductors/Programmable-Logic-ICs/FPGA-Field-Programmable-Gate-Array/_/N-3oh9p?P=1y9hzufZ1yy6lwuZ1yxyvun

I wonder what the final cost of the DAC would be.

enlarged pic of the DAC proto here:

Kevtris said timings are identical to real hardware.  

"Since no one asked, the timing coming out of the dac exactly matches the original system, down to the missing pixel on the snt every other frame"

8 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Kevtris said timings are identical to real hardware.  

"Since no one asked, the timing coming out of the dac exactly matches the original system, down to the missing pixel on the snt every other frame"

My point was that out of the SuperNt/MegaSg HDMI connector in DAC mode kevtris can put out whatever he needs, it does not have to be an HDMI signal with slight timing changes, it can be anything he deems necessary for the conversion to the analogue domain to be successful.

To keep gate count low though a completely different scheme seems unnecessary unless he already has it available in the current design and just starts to send it now to the DAC (no point in going the HDMI route if you have a more efficient lower level digital protocol, may as well use that).

Since the DAC allows for the Super NT to run at the slightly lower than 60 fps that the original SNES runs at, I hope Kevtris puts an unsupported option in to have the HDMI output run at the same 59.53 FPS as the OG sNES.  Many HDTVs can handle the nonstandard SNES refresh rate.  I have an OSSC and my mid-range Samsung LCD TV can handle it.

Otherwise, I am going to chain my Super NT through the Analogue DAC and then thru my OSSC to my LCD HDTV.

Edited by Jagasian