2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, CZroe said:

It sucks that you and other EU members had to pay another 85€ or whatever it was (no small amount!) but there is simply no motive for deliberately screwing EU customers and, barring additional information, we have to assume that it was a reasoned decision based on factors you aren't considering (or even aware of).

Yeah, this pretty much sums up that entire issue.

8 hours ago, CZroe said:

The word was first popularized to mean "people who had their formative years in the 2000s." You know... were you a '80s kid, '90s, kid, or a millennial

I'm 35 and I've only ever heard the term used in the sense it is used in by (sociologists? marketing professionals? people who otherwise like to pigeonhole demographics? i have no idea), which is "people who came of (young adult) age in the 2000s."  i.e. people who graduated high school in those years.   My understanding is (though i've never personally seen this) that later on, people continued using the term to bash 20 somethings they didn't like in the workplace, for being lazy, coddled, entitled, etc.  Even though at that point millenials were in their 30s.  So people now conflate millenial with people BORN in the 2000s, but those aren't millenials at all.

Honestly though... as I said the entire concept is stupid.  We've experienced a dramatic generational squish due to technology.   I was born in 84, my sister in 87, and have coworkers born in the mid 90s or even 2000, and they are all very different experiences.

8 hours ago, CZroe said:

LOL! I grew up with a rotary phone too. atariage_icon_smile.gif

We had one hooked up in the basement for some reason.   Pretty sure I know how to use one, but I haven't even seen a wireless non-cell phone in a private residence in a decade.

8 hours ago, CZroe said:

Anyway, back on topic:

I got nothing here.  I am perplexed by the whole DAC thing.   I feel like most people who have a crt and wanted an analogue console, probably have an original console and either have or don't care about everdrives.  So I just legitimately don't understand why you wouldn't use the original hardware instead.  In a completely serious, non-sarcastic manner.... what am i missing here?

Edited by ErebusMaligan
quote cut off a letter

I got nothing here.  I am perplexed by the whole DAC thing.   I feel like most people who have a crt and wanted an analogue console, probably have an original console and either have or don't care about everdrives.  So I just legitimately don't understand why you wouldn't use the original hardware instead.  In a completely serious, non-sarcastic manner.... what am i missing here?

Well, since no one has fully solved Genesis jailbars on original equipment (particularly the ones more desireable for sound or other reasons), I can see why some people want it. Factor the jailbreak functionality and it gets even more appeal for people currently using original hardware on CRTs. Finally, there's composite dither blending, which didn't work with analog component video (Y/C, RGBS, RGBHV, YPbPr, etc) but now will. Then, you can switch the audio behavior to suit the game.

With a Mega Sg and the analog adapter, PVM users and the like finally get jailbar-free video with proper audio and the extra colors of composite either blending and Everdrive-like functionality. Consider also that it will work with Analogue's other consoles, some of which replicate consoles that never had component video outputs and I can totally see why.

Still a hard sell for just a Genesis PVM user.

Anyway, here's how I learned self-dialing:

J/K. ;)

My mother was just cheap and wanted the cheapest phone you could get from the phone company back when you were forced to lease/rent your equipment. We had to keep using pulse dialing even when we got our own push-button phones because she was too cheap to pay a few extra dollars a month for touch-tone service. When I was a teen in the '90s I remember getting frustrated that the idStuff Quake shareware CD would not let me purchase the full version just because it ignored my settings in Windows 95 and tried to dial id Software with touch-tone dialing. Everyone just assumed you had touch-tone dialing back then! Was really surprised my SNES X-Band videogame modem supported pulse dialing.

6 hours ago, ErebusMaligan said:

I am perplexed by the whole DAC thing.   I feel like most people who have a crt and wanted an analogue console, probably have an original console and either have or don't care about everdrives.  So I just legitimately don't understand why you wouldn't use the original hardware instead.  In a completely serious, non-sarcastic manner.... what am i missing here?

Are you asking why I'd have an NES, but also an NT Mini with analog cables?  I don't know.. same reason why the jailbroken NT Mini has an SD card full of NES games, yet also has an N8 Everdrive with the very same games on it. The answer to me is, "Why not?" :lol:

27 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Are you asking why I'd have an NES, but also an NT Mini with analog cables?  I don't know.. same reason why the jailbroken NT Mini has an SD card full of NES games, yet also has an N8 Everdrive with the very same games on it. The answer to me is, "Why not?" :lol:

Pretty much this.  Why not?

18 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Look... if that's all the reasoning you need... I can fully support that. ?  That's usually my reasoning for these things too. ?

I guess I was more curious why people seem to be SO excited for it.  I mean I might pick one up just because it exists, I'm just not sure how much I'd use it.

I mean I grabbed analog cables for my NT Mini as well, although other than testing them I've never used them.  I don't actually have an analog NES anymore though, so it's possible I'd use that if I ever got into CRTs.

31 minutes ago, CZroe said:

PVM users and the like finally get jailbar-free video with proper audio and the extra colors of composite dither blending

Fair enough, I hadn't considered the jailbars.  I managed to get rid of them at least visibly on my cdx, but all my other variants still have it regardless of how many times they go under the iron.

hah I remember the whole "Must have a touch tone phone" in ads.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:31 AM, NE146 said:

On 8/23/2019 at 7:59 AM, Sho said:

Pretty much this.  Why not?

On 8/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, ErebusMaligan said:

Look... if that's all the reasoning you need... I can fully support that. ?  That's usually my reasoning for these things too. ?.

I think it is safe to say people can enjoy systems in multiple ways.

For instance, if I want to blast ducks on my bedroom CRT, then play Kirby's Adventure in glorious 720p on my 4k tcl, who's to stop me?

Super Mario Bros, I have 5 variants, not counting remakes (Lost Levels, All Stars, etc...)

Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt

Mario / Ducks / World Class Track Meet

SMB / Tetris / World Cup (PAL)

Mario Surer Bros 1 (Famicom,  handwritten label)

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=166162

mario_surer_bros_by_stardust4ever-dahuw7t.jpg

One of a kind, fo sho! ??

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

For instance, if I want to blast ducks on my bedroom CRT, then play Kirby's Adventure in glorious 720p on my 4k tcl, who's to stop me?

Well... not me.  I was never trying to take anyone's fun away, just trying to understand what exactly the use case would be.

I always forget about lightgun games so that's fair. Other than duck hunt I'm not sure i've ever played another one on any system.

The question is why DAC if you own original hardware?     

You assume all original hardware has quality outputs or everyone owns a CRT with component inputs or a PVM,  they don't.  

As an example, Original Genesis consoles have terrible composite out and while you can get RGB out of them even that isn't perfect without some mods, same with SNES.  

The DAC will guarantee quality Composite, S-Video, Component and RGB across all cores it supports.  Some legacy hardware still doesn't have component/RGB mods available.

3 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

The question is why DAC if you own original hardware?     

You assume all original hardware has quality outputs or everyone owns a CRT with component inputs or a PVM,  they don't.  

As an example, Original Genesis consoles have terrible composite out and while you can get RGB out of them even that isn't perfect without some mods, same with SNES.  

The DAC will guarantee quality Composite, S-Video, Component and RGB across all cores it supports.  Some legacy hardware still doesn't have component/RGB mods available.

Original console with rf or composite for light gun games. Hdmi for everything else.

I do not even own a display anymore that supports svideo or component. Literally composite, RF, or HDMI. And consumer grade rgb monitors are rarer in the us than rainbow unicorn farts here in the US...???

On 8/23/2019 at 2:24 AM, ErebusMaligan said:

You probably aren't missing anything. Its just a preference. Maybe you aren't familiar with a high quality CRT picture for retro gaming? I am a bit older and grew up playing older systems via RF and composite on CRTs. Most CRT picture quality wasn't very good back in the day. But CRT inputs and video quality did substantially improve.

Today, I have my NT Mini hooked into a late model 27" Philips CRT via component through an Impact Acoustics switch. My Sega Genesis model 1 tower of power and SNES are also hooked up via component with HD Retrovision cables. Older games were designed and intended for CRTs, so that is how I like to play them. To me, fake scan lines, filters, and crazy video settings are compromises for retro gaming on flat panels. I could never get the picture to look the way it should with any of my analogue consoles on a flat panel.  Also, I would like to retire as much of my original hardware as soon as possible. It is old and will likely fail sooner rather than later. I'd rather have modern replacement FPGA consoles instead of having to mod or maintain original hardware. The analogue picture quality of these FPGA systems is/will be superior to original hardware. Plus light guns.

I do want at least one Analogue DAC to hook up my SNT and Mega SG to the same CRT as my NT Mini. I think the Analogue DAC may be the last gasp of air for CRTs and quality analogue video for retro gaming. Don't get me wrong, I know I need the ability to play my Analogue consoles on modern flat panels. Someday my CRTs will fail. I do like having the best of both worlds. I know most people don't bother with CRTs and prefer the pixels of flat panels. So retro game with the hardware and display type that makes you happy.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sneakyturtleegg said:

You probably aren't missing anything. Its just a preference. Maybe you aren't familiar with a high quality CRT picture for retro gaming? I am a bit older and grew up playing older systems via RF and composite on CRTs. Most CRT picture quality wasn't very good back in the day. But CRT inputs and video quality did substantially improve.

Today, I have my NT Mini hooked into a late model 27" Philips CRT via component through an Impact Acoustics switch. My Sega Genesis model 1 tower of power and SNES are also hooked up via component with HD Retrovision cables. Older games were designed and intended for CRTs, so that is how I like to play them. To me, fake scan lines, filters, and crazy video settings are compromises for retro gaming on flat panels. I could never get the picture to look the way it should with any of my analogue consoles on a flat panel.  Also, I would like to retire as much of my original hardware as soon as possible. It is old and will likely fail sooner rather than later. I'd rather have modern replacement FPGA consoles instead of having to mod or maintain original hardware. The analogue picture quality of these FPGA systems is/will be superior to original hardware. Plus light guns.

I do want at least one Analogue DAC to hook up my SNT and Mega SG to the same CRT as my NT Mini. I think the Analogue DAC may be the last gasp of air for CRTs and quality analogue video for retro gaming. Don't get me wrong, I know I need the ability to play my Analogue consoles on modern flat panels. Someday my CRTs will fail. I do like having the best of both worlds. I know most people don't bother with CRTs and prefer the pixels of flat panels. So retro game with the hardware and display type that makes you happy.

I would just add to this by outlining my own situation. I game on CRT's and have a lot of money invested in them. I prefer playing original systems on them (and prefer playing on my CRT's in general), and when I do, I generally only use games I own, except for some of the more obscure systems I never collected for like NeoGeo and PC Engine for instance. I have another setup in my living room where I have my jailbroken Nt Mini, SNt and MSg. I don't plan on moving any of them into my CRT setup (except possibly the Nt Mini if they rerelease it in a cost reduced HDMI only format, which I'd then use on my flatscreen), but I do plan on buying a DAC or two. I'll probably buy them, test them on my CRT's and then put them away. It's future proofing more than anything, because if any of my original systems die, I won't be replacing them with another original system, I'll replace them with the Nt Mini, SNt or MSg. And if I thought the DAC's would be available forever, maybe I'd hold off, but this is all enthusiast stuff and I don't think you can count on that. When I consider how much I've spent on monitors, obscure systems, mods, cables, switches, scalers etc etc, buying a couple DACs as an insurance policy is at least something I can kinda justify. On top of that, I don't mind supporting Analogue. I had a couple run ins with them on some support issues, but they've made good on them and I of course love what they're doing with recreating these classic systems in a format that makes them accessible to the modern world. All that said, as Sneakyturtleegg said, it comes down to preference and need (or perceived need ?) based on individual setups.

Edited by jamon1567

Maybe you aren't familiar with a high quality CRT picture for retro gaming? I am a bit older and grew up playing older systems via RF and composite on CRTs.

I don't have first hand experience on a high quality CRT, but am familiar with the concept and why people desire it.  I too grew up mostly using RF on a crappy spare TV back when I actually owned consoles growing up (after the genesis I was primarily a PC gamer for about 20 years until i got back into consoles a few years ago).

I would like to retire as much of my original hardware as soon as possible

I guess that makes sense.  Like I said in the original post I just suspect that people that care about CRT gaming probably had original hardware, so it wasn't really a knock against people who prefer CRT, it just didn't make much sense to me that they wouldn't use the original hardware they had for that.

1 hour ago, jamon1567 said:

It's future proofing more than anything, because if any of my original systems die, I won't be replacing them with another original system

This makes sense, it's just something I never considered ?, which is why I was genuinely curious about what others were planning on using the DAC for.

I guess in my mind I would expect the same people who are adamant about CRT gaming to be the same way about only using original hardware for it, and original cartridges in extreme cases.  It seems that is not the case though.  Interesting.

So, as expected, my package will be coming after my holidays and I have to pay €67.50 of taxes for ONE cart shipped from geographic Europa, but not European Union. Things that could have been easily avoided if Terraonion did a better job at escaping taxes without hurting its customers (something possible and easily done, should they had given an actual fuck about their customers).

To get the idea, this flashcart is more expensive from my Mega Sg and it took way more time to come, although the Mega Sg came from the other side of the globe while the flashcart was next door.

So, yeah, FUCK YOU Terraonion and welcome bootleggers.

10 hours ago, ErebusMaligan said:

This makes sense, it's just something I never considered ?, which is why I was genuinely curious about what others were planning on using the DAC for.

I guess in my mind I would expect the same people who are adamant about CRT gaming to be the same way about only using original hardware for it, and original cartridges in extreme cases.  It seems that is not the case though.  Interesting.

Well, if/when they die I figure it'll be a long time from now when original replacements are much harder to find. If it happens tomorrow, then prob a different scenario. Of course my CRT's may be the first to go though lol.

13 hours ago, Slipard said:

I have to pay €67.50 of taxes for ONE cart shipped from geographic Europa, but not European Union. Things that could have been easily avoided if Terraonion did a better job at escaping taxes without hurting its customers

So your country, being part of the EU levies import taxes on things coming in from outside the EU.   You blame that on the people OUTSIDE the EU, instead of squarely on the policies of the EU.   So you blame the people being taxed, instead of the ones doing the taxing... That is one really, really warped world-view.  I can't even conceive of the level of mental gymnastics needed to accomplish this.

11 hours ago, jamon1567 said:

Well, if/when they die I figure it'll be a long time from now when original replacements are much harder to find. If it happens tomorrow, then prob a different scenario. Of course my CRT's may be the first to go though lol. 

Yeah, I guess that is a good point, if original hardware finally dies out this replacement stuff might still be working and you may want to get analog output from it then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ErebusMaligan said:

So your country, being part of the EU levies import taxes on things coming in from outside the EU.   You blame that on the people OUTSIDE the EU, instead of squarely on the policies of the EU.   So you blame the people being taxed, instead of the ones doing the taxing... That is one really, really warped world-view.  I can't even conceive of the level of mental gymnastics needed to accomplish this.

What seems far-fetched for you is just common sense for everybody else...

I will rephrase it using baby steps, so that you may understand the problem.

1. Terraonion sells a product from Spain (EU) with a promised TOA.

2. Terraonion moves outside EU and tells customers afterward. That changes the terms of the deal.

3. Terraonion sends the product from outside of EU, which causes unannounced taxes and delays that weren't part of the deal.

4. Terraonion knew that would cause trouble for customers and knowingly let the customers take the hit, without even the thought of an apology.

TL;DR: when you made a deal, you can't unilaterally change the deal. Doing so is a fraud.

(Writing my last phrase made me think. I am gonna meet lawyers and see if a legal action is possible, since this is an alleged fraud situation. Thank you for your concern, you indeed broaden up my field of vision. Terraonion might not be happy, though, but I'll make sure to point them to your direction so you can explain them why they should be happy. :-)

Edited by Slipard

34 minutes ago, Slipard said:

What seems far-fetched for you is just common sense for everybody else...

I will rephrase it using baby steps, so that you may understand the problem.

1. Terraonion sells a product from Spain (EU) with a promised TOA.

2. Terraonion moves outside EU and tells customers afterward. That changes the terms of the deal.

3. Terraonion sends the product from outside of EU, which causes unannounced taxes and delays that weren't part of the deal.

4. Terraonion knew that would cause trouble for customers and knowingly let the customers take the hit, without even the thought of an apology.

TL;DR: when you made a deal, you can't unilaterally change the deal. Doing so is a fraud.

(Writing my last phrase made me think. I am gonna meet lawyers and see if a legal action is possible, since this is an alleged fraud situation. Thank you for your concern, you indeed broaden up my field of vision. Terraonion might not be happy, though, but I'll make sure to point them to your direction so you can explain them why they should be happy. :-)

You seem to have some seriously misplaced aggression toward anyone who doesn't agree with you.

I accept the fact that you are not a native English speaker, so your grasp of English isn't... all there, but I honestly can't understand what you mean by far-fetched in this case.  I didn't give any indication that i thought anything was far-fetched or confusing.  I simply pointed out that you were blaming those outside your country, for the fact that you are being taxed by your country to import goods, which is a stance that is not on sound logical footing.  No merchant is choosing for your country to tax their customers.

I don't need anything broken out into steps.  I understand the premise of your claims.  They are still based on the same assumptions and biases that they have been all along.  You can keep restating the same thing condescendingly, but it doesn't make it accurate.

You seem to be blaming them for shipping delays.  They are not a shipping company, they do not have any domain over the shipping company assets.

One of your points starts with (Terraonion knew...).  You are taking a biased assumption and stating it as a fact, with no idea what another party actually did or did not know, and what they may or may not have considered. 

It makes it difficult to take you seriously.  Points like these just doesn't stand up to logical scrutiny.

It seems to be a matter of debate as to whether people should have been aware of where it was shipping from or not.  See Todd's response here:  https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1066&start=100

Either way, I don't understand why people are making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is.  If you don't want to pay it, and/or don't want to do business with this company just refuse delivery and if they refuse to give you a refund, do a credit card chargeback.

TL;DR: If you don't like their business practices, refuse the product, do a credit card chargeback if it becomes necessary to get a refund, and never do business with them again.

• Like 2