1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone.  Just thought I'd chime in and say that 8bitdo's new Saturn DIY kits work with the Retrobit controllers.  Fit is exact.  The only issue is that the microsd plug doesn't quite fit.  The hole of the retrobit controller must be slightly smaller than an original controller (I do not have an original controller to compare).  A small file was needed to open each side of the hole ever so slightly to fit the micro usb plug.  You might be able to wiggle/force it into place but I didn't want to try so I just filed each side slightly.  It's actually so close I could see some not needing modification due to slight manufacturing variances like with how the USB plug is soldered to the board or whatever.  You can see my before and after filing pictures below.  Was really easy with just a small file set from home depot.  I used the Saturn controller with the Saturn plug as well.  I am not sure if the inside of the Saturn controller with the USB plug is the same or not.

fXQaNqe.jpg

dHz5JyV.jpg

BXgRIDY.jpg

t3TUBgp.jpg

9hEUfwm.jpg

4FaDlPj.jpg

wPvtwf0.jpg

Edited by Toth
  • Like 1

That's described just like the 8BitDIY Genesis PCB when used in the RetroBit Genesis replicas or the Hyperkin GN6. I did manage to do it without filing but it was so tight that I went back and filed it to keep from having a future issue. The Genesis 8BitDIY USB charge cable had a slightly longer-than-usual microUSB side and that would be hard to replace if it breaks.

Fits with the caveat of a tight USB port. :)

Anyway, did you happen to get an email with- "credits" to spend on the latest 8BitDIY stuff? For the launch of the PSX 8BitDIY stuff I got an email like that but not this time.

7 hours ago, CZroe said:

That's described just like the 8BitDIY Genesis PCB when used in the RetroBit Genesis replicas or the Hyperkin GN6. I did manage to do it without filing but it was so tight that I went back and filed it to keep from having a future issue. The Genesis 8BitDIY USB charge cable had a slightly longer-than-usual microUSB side and that would be hard to replace if it breaks.

Fits with the caveat of a tight USB port. :)

Anyway, did you happen to get an email with- "credits" to spend on the latest 8BitDIY stuff? For the launch of the PSX 8BitDIY stuff I got an email like that but not this time.

No I didn't get anything this time and there isn't anything listed under credits for this purchase either.  I did notice that extra long USB tip as well on the Genesis controller and it is the same on the Saturn controller.

On a side note I also got one of the NES dogbone DIY kits and it works fine but the charge ports is super loose in it.  Like that little round plug was not designed for it at all.  It moves around A LOT especially when inserting and removing the cable. 

11 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

Now if only there was a Saturn bluetooth receiver, I'd buy the DIY kit in a heartbeat!

Yeah, pretty much saturn and jaguar are the only consoles (other than older atari, coleco, intellivision) I am aware of that don't have a decent wireless solution.  Most other things can somehow be converted to SNES, GEN, or PS2-4, which wireless receivers/controllers exist for.  Saturn can be converted to ps1 or 2, i forget which, but the layout sucks obviously.

2 hours ago, gulps said:

Hi @kevtris

Do you expect to sell GameBoy or GBC cartridge adaptors for the Analogue Nt Mini with link socket as option?

We desired it for LSDJ use with Drag'n'derp cartridge and midi as audio "scene" producer :)

Yes, we can mod a GB for VGA out but the Nt Mini is very handy!

If Analogue had wanted to make cart adaptors for the Nt Mini, they would have done it by now. But they went ahead with the Super Nt and Mega Sg instead. If the rumored Analogue Pocket is to be a GB/GBC/GBA clone, then they will certainly not canibalize their sales of that upcoming product with cart adaptors that perform the same function.

With this said, I'm wondering when we'll get official announcements for the Analogue Pocket and the Analogue 8.  :)

EDIT: Also, there's the Super Game Boy which you can use on the Super-Nt...

Edited by Pixelboy

If Analogue had wanted to make cart adaptors for the Nt Mini, they would have done it by now. But they went ahead with the Super Nt and Mega Sg instead. If the rumored Analogue Pocket is to be a GB/GBC/GBA clone, then they will certainly not canibalize their sales of that upcoming product with cart adaptors that perform the same function.

With this said, I'm wondering when we'll get official announcements for the Analogue Pocket and the Analogue 8.  atariage_icon_smile.gif&key=b4329950063166e22b9ef8799701fd7588b56a9f3e0590e7a9d9c88518ca48fc

Didn't kevtris release the cartridge adapter designs for DIY? I mean, he out-right shared the entire design process in Altium which I re-watched yesterday:

If Analogue has no interest, surely we can make our own... right?

Didn't kevtris release the cartridge adapter designs for DIY? I mean, he out-right shared the entire design process in Altium which I re-watched yesterday:

If Analogue has no interest, surely we can make our own... right?

You can make one, but it doesn’t mean the NT Mini has any idea what to do when one is inserted. That bit of logic to load the correct core based on the adapter needs to be implemented, and do we have any idea if that is in the JB firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Kaide said:

You can make one, but it doesn’t mean the NT Mini has any idea what to do when one is inserted. That bit of logic to load the correct core based on the adapter needs to be implemented, and do we have any idea if that is in the JB firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not present in any released firmware, official or JB.

It is not present in any released firmware, official or JB.
Thanks, but I should ask: How would we know? I'm sure Kev wasn't designing these in the dark with no functionality in his own build of the FW. Was there any firmware analysis or something that showed the cart adapters will not work or enable the function with the JB FW?

It is likely that the cores are designed to just read data from the SD card and don't have any knowledge of any cartridge slot. It's silly to think that Kevin programmed the cores with nonexistent and unplanned hardware in mind. 

Somehow missed that the latest Super Nt jailbreak has all the common expansion chips now. Makes an SD2SNES kind of redundant in that case, and really brings some big value to this console. Catches up with MiSTer, too, which is nice. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

5 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

It is likely that the cores are designed to just read data from the SD card and don't have any knowledge of any cartridge slot. It's silly to think that Kevin programmed the cores with nonexistent and unplanned hardware in mind. 

Somehow missed that the latest Super Nt jailbreak has all the common expansion chips now. Makes an SD2SNES kind of redundant in that case, and really brings some big value to this console. Catches up with MiSTer, too, which is nice. 

The SNT jailbreak still lacks the biggies: Super FX and SA-1, plus various other more obscure ones

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gulps said:

Hi @kevtris

Do you expect to sell GameBoy or GBC cartridge adaptors for the Analogue Nt Mini with link socket as option?

We desired it for LSDJ use with Drag'n'derp cartridge and midi as audio "scene" producer :)

Yes, we can mod a GB for VGA out but the Nt Mini is very handy!

Honestly, I expect this for Analogue 8.

Again, they've "existed" in Kevin's hands for at least the last two and a half years:

The designs are right there in the video if anyone wants to make them. I'm asking how we know the FW functionality for these adapters hasn't been there in the JB FW for just as long.

22 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

EDIT: Also, there's the Super Game Boy which you can use on the Super-Nt...

Yes! My partner has the Super Game Boy 2 for this. It adds the link and better clock accuracy.

But Nt Mini has good sound, very clean, and very easy to work.

23 hours ago, CZroe said:

Didn't kevtris release the cartridge adapter designs for DIY?

I hope @kevtris will release the DIY desings and adds firmware support for them. And the missing 8bit cores for the Nt Mini if possible. Too many desires ... :)

A new Analogue GB/GBC handled clone will be a good choice too if video output will be supported.

26 minutes ago, gulps said:

A new Analogue GB/GBC handled clone will be a good choice too if video output will be supported.

I suppose you mean "handheld".  :)

I dunno... I know that a lot of people believe that a GBA clone should be portable just like the original, but I already have a GBA (old model modded with new screen) so I won't bother buying the Analogue Pocket if it turns out to be a handheld device. And if Analogue was to add an HDMI-out option to their handheld clone, wouldn't it be kind of clunky to use? You'd have one (probably long) wire going to the TV, and another wire for the AC adaptor (because there's no way I'm buying batteries for this, since as I said I already have a modded GBA, and if I'm going to use batteries I'd rather put them in that). A small portable with two long wires sticking out of it seems silly to me. I'd rather have a console and only have to hold a Super-NES controller in my hands.

Considering Game Boy Player discs fetch a pretty high price today, I'd say there's a demand for a consolized GBA system. Original GBAs in full working condition can still be found easily today, so is there an actual need for a handheld GBA clone? Also, I do recall some other companies doing handheld GBA clones, so Analogue couldn't corner that market as well as they did with the NT Mini, Super Nt and Mega Sg. FPGA wouldn't help much here, aside from adding jailbreak cores for Game Gear, etc. which could be done anyway on a consolized GBA.

Analogue DAC is available for pre-order now, at 79.99 USD.

Cool, but I'll wait annoucements for other products so I can get cheaper shipping cost...

Please Analogue speed up with those other announcements or it'll look like nobody is going to preorder the DAC. :)

Edited by pedroTFP