1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2. I have 7 Genesis systems. 5 of them look "perfectly clean" without any modes. The other 2 are a Genesis 2 and Genesis 3, which I kept new in the boxes. I'll guess those have jailbar issues based on many posts that I've read. I'm still using the very same console I bought on launch day (8/24/1989) as my main Genesis. Photos... yay! [emoji14]

SegaGenesisLaunchSystemUnboxing-vgo-01.jpg&key=5ca4dc515fd73d87b94390609ab3e2ed98a920bd51115d7f83d2148cfbd90a60 SegaGenesisLaunchSystemUnboxing-vgo-05.jpg&key=87b1c11547ff016d8a10e94f12bf35512bcdb82c101bcfbf576d5f6a5c245f01

3. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to make original hardware look decent on modern displays. I spend $55 for an HD Retrovision YPbPr cable.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Genesis/Mega Drive systems might have jailbars. Some models worse than others, of course. All of my Model 1's are very early revs ("High Def Graphics", non-TMSS) Let's not trash the original consoles just because this is an FPGA forum. 

But anyway, I'm done here. They look perfect for me on both LCD and CRT displays, though I mostly use them on a Wega CRT.

I also enjoy using the Mega Sg on modern displays. Agree to disagree I guess.

You seem to be hung up on the word "plagues" because you thought we were saying it affects the majority of all Genesis consoles. We weren't. It "plagues" Genesis from a purist's perspective specifically because a large percentage of the otherwise most-desireable models have the issue. It comes up every time Genesis RGB is discussed. Heck, it just got mentioned AGAIN in the latest RetroRGB video that was just released:

1 hour ago, spoonman said:

Again... my original points (which seemed to have gotten lost in all of this) were:

1. Jailbars are not on every Genesis console. It's not a "plague"as you put it.

2. I have 7 Genesis systems. 5 of them look "perfectly clean" without any modes. The other 2 are a Genesis 2 and Genesis 3, which I kept new in the boxes. I'll guess those have jailbar issues based on many posts that I've read. I'm still using the very same console I bought on launch day (8/24/1989) as my main Genesis. Photos... yay! :P

3. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to make original hardware look decent on modern displays. I spend $55 for an HD Retrovision YPbPr cable.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Genesis/Mega Drive systems might have jailbars. Some models worse than others, of course. All of my Model 1's are very early revs ("High Def Graphics", non-TMSS) Let's not trash the original consoles just because this is an FPGA forum. 

But anyway, I'm done here. They look perfect for me on both LCD and CRT displays, though I mostly use them on a Wega CRT.

I also enjoy using the Mega Sg on modern displays. Agree to disagree I guess.

Well I'm glad you seemed to hit the Genesis lottery, but just know your case isn't the norm.  

Yep, I noticed those immediately, haha. 

jailbars.thumb.png.2bc618d0e6f03c59fb39930e42829951.png

I saw a Twitter discussion yesterday where Jose Cruz drastically reduced the jailbars by lifting the graphics chip to install a shield of grounded copper tape underneath.

Here's his original post about it:

Yeah, no one is going to do this for the Genesis 2 in a Genesis 1 shell. It genuinely "plagues" many of the desirable High Definition Graphics models.

Edit: It looks like the RetroRGB link got left out of my last post and edits are locked so I'll have to add it here

10 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Well I'm glad you seemed to hit the Genesis lottery, but just know your case isn't the norm.  

It's definitely not the norm.  I also have a VA6 that doesn't have any serious jailbar issues, but a few other models that do (one of which is the same model as the Altered Beast Console that spoonman posted -- I'll spare you the box pics, lol).  Early Japanese Mega Drives seem to have it as a consistent issue, while it seems that SEGA worked on the issue with successive revisions of the US Genesis consoles, with varying success.

When you see Bob from RetroRGB call it an issue with the model 1s, he says it more of a blanket statement to cover them all -- depending on the revision you'll see varying levels of the issue.  There's also the idea that even within the same revisions have the issue due to also being produced with various different IC parts.

Overall the jailbar issue isn't at all as serious as it is with Sega Master System consoles.  Also @spoonman it's always a good idea to use direct capture to really show what is being displayed.  Camera photos can lie, especially that of phone cameras.  Also it's something that's far more visible to the eye when run through an upscaler with proper cables.  The issue isn't as noticeable on a CRT (for good or for bad, lol).

Edited by Sho

There *might* be something to talk about in a few weeks yeah.  According to the US Trademark site, Analgoue was granted a Notice of Allowance in late August, which means they have been given the go ahead to commercially use the patents, as long as they pay their fees within 3 months.  If they don't, the need to request an 6 month extension or both patents will be abandoned.  They can do one or the other to be honest, but it seems more likely that they will pay their fees, then quickly announce one or both products.

tl;dr: Expect something announced before November 18.

Edited by Sho

2 hours ago, Sho said:

There *might* be something to talk about in a few weeks yeah.  According to the US Trademark site, Analgoue was granted a Notice of Allowance in late August, which means they have been given the go ahead to commercially use the patents, as long as they pay their fees within 3 months.  If they don't, the need to request an 6 month extension or both patents will be abandoned.  They can do one or the other to be honest, but it seems more likely that they will pay their fees, then quickly announce one or both products.

tl;dr: Expect something announced before November 18.

It would be pretty impressive if we got two new FPGA systems announced this year.  I think one being a handheld and one being a home console makes things a bit easier.  Basically two different markets.

2 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

It would be pretty impressive if we got two new FPGA systems announced this year.  I think one being a handheld and one being a home console makes things a bit easier.  Basically two different markets.

Handhelds are historically known to be more difficult to produce over game consoles.  However, Taber might have an in on getting small screens for cheap.  It'll definitely be an interesting project to see.  It'll also likely be the product that gets pushed back.

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but if it isn't maybe someone will see this and point me in the right direction. I want to report a bug a encountered on the recent super nt 6.9 jail break firmware. The Problem i noticed is in x3 and possibly x2 also since it also uses the cx4 chip but i need to test it to be sure. Anyways the problem i noticed is when the cx4 chip is being utilized in the game it creats a bunch of extra lag much more than Normal. For example in blast hornet stage when you fight the 3d mid stage boss and at the end of the game when the 3d sigma head appears. Im also gonna make some comparison clips to showcase how bad it is. If you would like to see them let me know or have any questions, You guys can reach me on Twitter or twitch. Twitter/d0gpoundgaming 

Twitch.tv/d0gpoundgaming

On 10/5/2019 at 10:04 PM, D0gPoundGaming said:

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but if it isn't maybe someone will see this and point me in the right direction. I want to report a bug a encountered on the recent super nt 6.9 jail break firmware. The Problem i noticed is in x3 and possibly x2 also since it also uses the cx4 chip but i need to test it to be sure. Anyways the problem i noticed is when the cx4 chip is being utilized in the game it creats a bunch of extra lag much more than Normal. For example in blast hornet stage when you fight the 3d mid stage boss and at the end of the game when the 3d sigma head appears. Im also gonna make some comparison clips to showcase how bad it is. If you would like to see them let me know or have any questions, You guys can reach me on Twitter or twitch. Twitter/d0gpoundgaming 

Twitch.tv/d0gpoundgaming

A few of us discussed this shortly after the release of 6.9. It has been reported as an issue on the GitHub page. Any additional info you have or want to present make sure to post it there. Here's a link:

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/issues/141