1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Just my two cents on the FPGA core development aspect of the Analogue Pocket: The one thing I hope to see above all else is a push to create custom cores for arcade games. Whether they are adapted from what has been done elsewhere (like on the MiSTer) or brand new cores, the high-resolution screen of the Pocket lends itself well to delivering portable arcade action, which would be nice to play on a modern TV screen as well.  :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Intense.Mark said:

Actually they would've knocked it out if the form factor is the same as that modded GBA

I agree. The horizontally oriented form factor would have been perfect. It also would have better matched more of the included system cores (Atari Lynx, Game Gear, Neo-Geo Pocket/NGPC, GBA). 
GBPocketVsGBA.jpg
Playing a game which requires L/R buttons on the SP would cause the dreaded "claw hands" after a short amount of time, unfortunately. I sort of had expected it based on the quote from Chris Taber:

"The systems that I'm the most inspired by are the ones that never received the recognition that they deserve. You know what I keep thinking about lately? A Wonderswan with an OLED screen. That would be good. Whatever we do next, you can count on Analogue continue to raise the bar. That's what we're here for."

I wonder if there is any possibility of them doing a second run with the horizontal style. If so I might get that. 

To sum up:
Pros
Best possible audio / video from portable games
Music composing/sequencing included
HDMI output*

Cons
Vertical form factor not ideal
No TurboGrafX-16 / PCEngine HuCard support (The Turbo Express was an awesome portable!)**

No WonderSwan support
Cart adapters may never come out
$200 Price + shipping will likely be very high
Playing Neo-Geo Pocket Color games without the micro-switched D-Pad would seem off. 
* HDMI Requires dock (NOT INCLUDED)
**I'm sure it'll be sold as a separate stand alone console.

It doesn't seem like a product for me, but I'm sure others will love it.

3 hours ago, spoonman said:

I agree. The horizontally oriented form factor would have been perfect. It also would have better matched more of the included system cores (Atari Lynx, Game Gear, Neo-Geo Pocket/NGPC, GBA). 
GBPocketVsGBA.jpg
Playing a game which requires L/R buttons on the SP would cause the dreaded "claw hands" after a short amount of time, unfortunately. I sort of had expected it based on the quote from Chris Taber:

I wonder if there is any possibility of them doing a second run with the horizontal style. If so I might get that. 

To sum up:
Pros
HDMI output*

Cons
No TurboGrafX-16 / PCEngine HuCard support (The Turbo Express was an awesome portable!)**

No WonderSwan support
Playing Neo-Geo Pocket Color games without the micro-switched D-Pad would seem off. 

Last time I checked Chiptune artists don't use those original GBA consoles.  They use Gameboys or Gameboy Advance SPs.  I think they would be turned off by a OG GBA like design.

The cyclone V is the FPGA that will be used for cores. I think the wording was a little confusing. They added the cyclone 10 to allow for homebrew cores, but the cyclone 10 is what will be used for the closed source video output and scalers, which will allow the cyclone V to be used by devs for the different cores.

• Like 1

Ignoring the Analogue-Pocket for a bit, If you really want the form factor for GBA, the market for IPS replacement screens for the original GBA seems to have gotten larger as of late.. just snag one of those :)

https://funnyplaying.com/products/gba

Saw this from someone on Discord.. this isn't my pic (I still have an ags101 in mine).. but just to show you the idea. Looks pretty nice.

IMG_20191015_200026.jpg

54 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

The cyclone V is the FPGA that will be used for cores. I think the wording was a little confusing. They added the cyclone 10 to allow for homebrew cores, but the cyclone 10 is what will be used for the closed source video output and scalers, which will allow the cyclone V to be used by devs for the different cores.

That sounds a lot better, yeah. And the Cyclone 10 could be sized to what's needed for that logic, rather than trying to guess, keeping costs under control.

2 hours ago, NE146 said:

Ignoring the Analogue-Pocket for a bit, If you really want the form factor for GBA, the market for IPS replacement screens for the original GBA seems to have gotten larger as of late.. just snag one of those :)

https://funnyplaying.com/products/gba

Saw this from someone on Discord.. this isn't my pic (I still have an ags101 in mine).. but just to show you the idea. Looks pretty nice.

IMG_20191015_200026.jpg

I have a GBA with a screen like that, which I bought on eBay roughly a year ago. It's wonderful for playing GBA games, but there's a problem with GB/GBC games, namely that sprites can streak. This makes Zelda Link's Awakening unpalatable, because all I see is a green/black streak when I move Link around the screen. Kind of a disappointment there...  :|   But for playing GBA, I love it!  :D 

36 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

I have a GBA with a screen like that, which I bought on eBay roughly a year ago. It's wonderful for playing GBA games, but there's a problem with GB/GBC games, namely that sprites can streak. This makes Zelda Link's Awakening unpalatable, because all I see is a green/black streak when I move Link around the screen. Kind of a disappointment there...  :|   But for playing GBA, I love it!  :D 

Yeah I don't have an IPS screen like I said, but what I HEAR is that the problem you describe has been addressed with the more recent revisions. But again, I don't know first hand. :lol: 

Congrats to Kevin for the achievement, given I can't stand the small factor though I am relieved I won't be buying it ... that's 200 + dock that I will reserve for the next thing.

I've tried playing on GBBoy or gosh Game Boy Micro and I hated them, too small for my aging eyes and hands.

It's interesting no product is 2019, DAC->2020, Pocket->2020 ... I know why companies do that, they announce so as to make sure you keep money for when they release and at the same time though not spend them on some other toys .... it's fair game, in a way just wished the announcement came closer to the actual release date, but you've got to make sure buyers keeps some money for after the up and coming shopping season.

33 minutes ago, Enragedwhale said:

Their website still claims the SG cart adaptors are coming this year, anyone wanna take a bet on that?

Nope.  :D

I find it peculiar that Kevin hasn't said anything in this thread since the announcement of the Analogue Pocket. Perhaps he's still working on the Analogue 8, which will be announced sooner rather than later?  :) 

15 hours ago, spoonman said:

GBPocketVsGBA.jpg

To sum up:
Pros
HDMI output*

Cons

No WonderSwan support

I agree with your opinion. I collect handhelds but sold off the others but I kept the vita, ds lite, dsi, dsi xl, 3ds, 3ds xl mostly because of the form factor. I'll probably get one to check it out but sell it off if it causes cramps.

I'm never a fan of OLED because of the short life span and burn-in issues. It's also an expensive so expect to spend more for replacement panel. I've never seen LTPS LCD but articles say it's as good as IPS. I don't have an idea about the price though.

3 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Nope.  :D

I find it peculiar that Kevin hasn't said anything in this thread since the announcement of the Analogue Pocket. Perhaps he's still working on the Analogue 8, which will be announced sooner rather than later?  :) 

Speaking of Analogue 8, do you think it will be announced this year or on October, 16 2020?

22 minutes ago, Intense.Mark said:

Speaking of Analogue 8, do you think it will be announced this year or on October, 16 2020?

If Analogue had wanted to release the Analogue 8 a year from now, they wouldn't have trademarked the name this year.

I'd say we'll discover exactly what the Analogue 8 is before the end of this year, or perhaps only after enough pre-orders of the Analogue Pocket will have been recorded.

Edited by Pixelboy

23 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

If Analogue had wanted to release the Analogue 8 a year from now, they wouldn't have trademarked the name this year.

I'd say we'll discover exactly what the Analogue 8 is before the end of this year, or perhaps only after enough pre-orders of the Analogue Pocket will have been recorded.

I hope so. There are no other teasers after the announcement of Analogue Pocket.

How long does trade marking a name last? They can always renew it. Analogue seems to have a long development cycle, so when will something be out about the Analogue 8? Who knows. I am more interested in what that might be. I didn't get much into handhelds until the PSP, 3DS, etc so the newest offering does not do much for me, but I am glad people have an option for what should be a high quality product.

Super Nt announcement: October 16th, 2017

Mega Sg announcement: October 16th, 2018

Pocket announcement: October 16th, 2019

Is it really that hard to predict when they'll announce the Analogue 8? Though they did tease additional announcements in the near-future, so who knows.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:16 PM, Atariboy said:

Where's that FPGA stand compared to the main FPGA and what's used in the Mister project?

I'm assuming it's significantly less powerful, but hopefully some neat homebrew projects can still take advantage of it. 

I'm Assuming that the second FPGA is basically "the DAC" if it were compared to the Super NT or Mega SG. So it might be invoked when plugged into the USB-c dock, but not in the same way, since I'd assume that a usb-c dock that Analogue makes would be an actual USB-C dock that happens to support game controllers and the "DAC" analog output. 

Typical USB-C docks used in the enterprise are either powered or unpowered, and have 2 Displayport (or HDMI/VGA) outputs, 5 USB 3.1 ports, Realtek Audio and Ethernet controllers, analog audio output/input and some have sd-card slots.  Don't be fooled though, there are THREE kinds of docks. "Displayport" docks, "Displaylink (software GPU)", and Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt docks allow 2 monitors at 4K, standard USB-C DP docks only support two 1080p monitors even if they have 6 ports on them.