• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, CZroe said:
30 minutes ago, cacophony said:
That's correct

Link? Last time someone suggested this literally every official source contradicted it.

Kevtris said the following on discord:

"btw for people wondering, the cyclone V part will be usable by developers"

Edited by cacophony

Kevtris said there following on discord:

"Usable" could mean the exact opposite of what was said above, with all the video scaling stuff there on the Cyclone V and the smaller Cyclone 10 open for use, freeing up a bit more on the limited FPGA. That fits with their earlier statements much better.

1 minute ago, CZroe said:
2 minutes ago, cacophony said:
Kevtris said there following on discord:

"Usable" could mean the exact opposite of what was said above, with all the video scaling stuff there and the smaller FPGA open for use, freeing up a bit more on the limited FPGA. That fits with their earlier statements much better.

It could but it doesn't. Head over to discord to read the context.

• Thanks 1

So the new 8-bit / Zimba 3000 / whatever will be able to utilize open source cores for whatever grassroots developers want to port to it!?!?

I would personally love to see arcade cores get ported over. If we could throw the MAME ROMs for popular arcade games (like Pacman or Donkey Kong) onto the SD card and have a few dedicated cores for them, that would be incredible.

Many early arcade games used similar chips, so I guess cores could be written for individual chips, then assembled together into a core using logic diagrams based off the arcade PCB layout.

That would cut a lot of work out of writing from scratch cores for every game console, if we could recombine the components of arcade pcbs in fpga logic.

So the new 8-bit / Zimba 3000 / whatever will be able to utilize open source cores for whatever grassroots developers want to port to it!?!?

I would personally love to see arcade cores get ported over. If we could throw the MAME ROMs for popular arcade games (like Pacman or Donkey Kong) onto the SD card and have a few dedicated cores for them, that would be incredible.

Many early arcade games used similar chips, so I guess cores could be written for individual chips, then assembled together into a core using logic diagrams based off the arcade PCB layout.

That would cut a lot of work out of writing from scratch cores for every game console, if we could recombine the components of arcade pcbs in fpga logic.
That's exactly how they've been expanding supported arcade platforms in MiSTer, so, yeah: port!
  • Thanks 1

Just to let you guys know, the firmware fairy is back in town... Go github for nice presents for the MegaSG lovers! [emoji3]
Nice!

Includes fixes from official firmware v4.7:
-Zesenilia demo text fixed
-Turbo Outrun graphics seem to be fixed
-Audio pitch shifting on some games in zero delay mode fixed

...plus:
-Fixed large SMS BIOSes not working issue
-CJ Elephant now works properly
-Hardball 95 "SRAM error" fixed
-Many other minor fixes

What about em scanlines? I don't recall what others here were saying the issue was, but I fired mine up the other day for the first time in a while and noticed the scanlines were all messed up in 720p. Cant remember if I had played it since I updated the last firmware or just updated it and set it aside....

What about em scanlines? I don't recall what others here were saying the issue was, but I fired mine up the other day for the first time in a while and noticed the scanlines were all messed up in 720p. Cant remember if I had played it since I updated the last firmware or just updated it and set it aside....
They've never been correct in 1080p. :(

13 hours ago, vanfanel said:

FM music is still failing in Rastan Saga for Master System... Come on, there are public FM implementations that work this perfectly right, just take a look at them, thats why open source exists, so you we have to work twice ;)

Incorrect, there are no perfect FPGA implementations of SMS FM module.  They all have their issues.  Also, Kevtris has stated he has no interest touching someone else's code.

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:38 AM, vanfanel said:

FM music is still failing in Rastan Saga for Master System... Come on, there are public FM implementations that work this perfectly right, just take a look at them, thats why open source exists, so you we have to work twice ;)

Do you have a video of how it should sound? Or a comparison between the two? If the FM emulation is messed up, then hopefully it's on the Mega Sg list of things that need fixing.

• Like 1

Is the SMS adapter for MyCards ALSO for SMS carts?  I'd like to know what extra gear would I need to play the 3-D Glasses game library on my MegaSG? I know the DAC and a CRT and Sega 3-D glasses (or maybe modern flicker equivalent shades if our heads are now larger than our 1980s vintage). Are there other adapters, etc. needed?

Is the SMS adapter for MyCards ALSO for SMS carts?  I'd like to know what extra gear would I need to play the 3-D Glasses game library on my MegaSG? I know the DAC and a CRT and Sega 3-D glasses (or maybe modern flicker equivalent shades if our heads are now larger than our 1980s vintage). Are there other adapters, etc. needed?
Good question. I recently got the glasses adapter but I don't have the glasses.

Is it possible for the Mega Sg to output 3D in the standard HDMI way used by 3D Blu-Ray, PS3, etc for modern 3D TVs?
  • Like 1