3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, CZroe said:
48 minutes ago, narshe said:

If they said that then it should be news. Where did they say that?

At the bottom of the petition there is an update that has a quote from Analogue saying they'd do it. I don't know if anyone can just post there and it's trolling or what. Seems sketchy.

Edit: dunno if that is a screenshot of a DM or something they author had with Analogue? Either way, kinda weird....If they do it though, I'd like to see some more colors.

Edited by jamon1567
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CZroe said:
48 minutes ago, narshe said:

If they said that then it should be news. Where did they say that?

From petition page: 

30 DE JAN DE 2020 — 

We got their attention! 

Analogue has responded to our petition and has stated that they will do one final run of the Nt mini if we get 1,000 signatures!

If you want to see the response: go to Facebook and visit Analogue’s page, find their posting from January 20 at 9am (video of Kirby’s Pinball Land) and read the comments, you will see me posting the petition AND Analogue responding!

SHARE THIS PETITION AND LET’S MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hyrulebr said:

From petition page: 

30 DE JAN DE 2020 — 

We got their attention! 

Analogue has responded to our petition and has stated that they will do one final run of the Nt mini if we get 1,000 signatures!

If you want to see the response: go to Facebook and visit Analogue’s page, find their posting from January 20 at 9am (video of Kirby’s Pinball Land) and read the comments, you will see me posting the petition AND Analogue responding!

SHARE THIS PETITION AND LET’S MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Interestingly, this would seem to confirm there is no upcoming Analogue 8, or at least it's not an NES. I doubt they'd bother with another Nt Mini run if so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamon1567 said:

Interestingly, this would seem to confirm there is no upcoming Analogue 8, or at least it's not an NES. I doubt they'd bother with another Nt Mini run if so.

The petition does state

...or leverage the design decisions used with the Super Nt and Mega Sg to produce a new variant of the Nt mini

So that could mean a new one they're already working on I guess.

• Like 1

It could mean that they want to sell more of the expensive one first if they can.

Oh, the sneaky sneaks...
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, narshe said:

The petition does state

Well they said one final Nt Mini run so would have to assume that's exactly what they'd do. If they were to release a new product then they wouldn't limit it, nor would they bother with another Nt Mini release. If they did another Nt Mini run, then turned around and released an NES variant similar to the Super Nt and Mega Sg, people would be bitching.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Setting the bar pretty high at 1000 votes while not saying what the Analogue 8 is going to be seems like a "shooting-in-their-own-foot" maneuver.

Here is my perspective from a business point of view: Analogue never officially announced the Analogue 8 system. It is just a trademark registration and didn't cost much, if anything. They don't have to do anything with it and it doesn't mean much at this point. If this petition is real and the response from Analogue is real, it is free market research. They would be gauging demand. If there is demand for another NT Mini run and it happens, I don't believe an announcement of another new Analogue system will be related to a less expensive NT Mini/NES. Analogue has already done the NES twice (Original NT & NT Mini). A 3rd run of the NT Mini is probably less expensive and more profitable compared to new engineering, tooling, manufacturing and programming costs for another new NES system. But who knows, this petition could just be some major trolling.

Edited by Sneakyturtleegg

My theory is that Analogue leans almost exclusively on Kevtris to handle the software side of their entire product line at this point, so they can only realistically have a product launch every 8-12 months without burning the man out. Given that there are a few things that would need to be implemented to bring a theoretical Analogue 8 in line with the feature set of the SuperNt and MegaSg (eg, the Nt Mini doesn't support interpolation, have the same menu system as the other consoles, no DAC support, etc.), we probably won't see anything about the 8 until well after the Pocket is released.

Edited by Drunk_Caterpillar
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Drunk_Caterpillar said:

My theory is that Analogue leans almost exclusively on Kevtris to handle the software side of their entire product line at this point, so they can only realistically have a product launch every 8-12 months without burning the man out. Given that there are a few things that would need to be implemented to bring a theoretical Analogue 8 in line with the feature set of the SuperNt and MegaSg (eg, the Nt Mini doesn't support interpolation, have the same menu system as the other consoles, no DAC support, etc.), we probably won't see anything about the 8 until well after the Pocket is released.

Pretty sure he's also designed the PCB and everything related to it (choice, values, and placement of components etc.... etc...).

If you mean he doesn't hand solder the components himself ... well then sure I hope he doesn't, his skills are more valuable in designing and implementing new cores/products however he sees fit.

NOTE: writing in VHDL/Verilog bears only a superficial semblance to write SW (Verilog being more similar in that sense) but that's it, it would be like comparing writing a poem vs the  ingredients on the back of pack of crackers .... not the same skill, not the same intent! Kevin is their HW guy in the more complete sense of the term, and their SW guy as I believe he develops also the SW that runs on the microcontroller as well as the console (to render the UI/menu etc...).

Hopefully a new run of the Nt Mini might also give cause for Kev to go back and address some of its remaining issues. I know there were several issues with the gameboy cores for instance, so given his work on the Pocket, I would hope that those fixes make their way onto the Mini as well. I'm sure there are other issues with some of the jailbreak cores (SMS, GG, Coleco) that may have been worked out from his work on the Mega Sg as well.

Edited by jamon1567

39 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

Hopefully a new run of the Nt Mini might also give cause for Kev to go back and address some of its remaining issues. I know there were several issues with the gameboy cores for instance, so given his work on the Pocket, I would hope that those fixes make their way onto the Mini as well. I'm sure there are other issues with some of the jailbreak cores (SMS, GG, Coleco) that may have been worked out from his work on the Mega Sg as well.

Agreed, I honestly think interpolation should be added in some capacity as well. I just couldn't imagine paying $450 for a FPGA NES in 2020 that doesn't have that feature.

7 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Agreed, I honestly think interpolation should be added in some capacity as well. I just couldn't imagine paying $450 for a FPGA NES in 2020 that doesn't have that feature.

I think he addressed that question before and there wasn't enough space on the FPGA. Could be misremembering, and it's possible he could have optimized it to fit on the Mini. That would be awesome though if it was possible because that's the only thing missing.

Well, maybe, if they are guaranteed a certain sell-through, they might be able to alternatively switch to a plastic injection mold option and with that relative savings, upgrade the FPGA... anyways, would any of the newer cores, like the Lynx, fit on the smaller FPGA, already present? :P

18 minutes ago, AtariNerd said:

Well, maybe, if they are guaranteed a certain sell-through, they might be able to alternatively switch to a plastic injection mold option and with that relative savings, upgrade the FPGA... anyways, would any of the newer cores, like the Lynx, fit on the smaller FPGA, already present? :P

Lynx is most likely doable on the current NT Mini.  The CPU is just a 6502 variant.

• Like 1