2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Nt Mini can run games from the SD card. AVS can't.

Also, Nt Mini supports way more systems than just the 1 the AVS has.

And Nt Mini was designed by Kevtris, AVS wasn't.

I do NOT mean to bash AVS's engineer. Just, I follow Kevtris' work almost since he started to post on Internet (yep, am that old...) while I don't know at all AVS's engineer; basically, it is a selling point to many people to rather buy something from someone you know than something else from someone you don't.

But, to be fair, I have only seen very good reviews for the AVS, so I wouldn't say it is in inferior product in quality, especially since I never tried it. I just express my personal and non-flaming feeling, adding that I keep the AVS as a replacement option if I never can get an Nt Mini.

Edited by Slipard

29 minutes ago, seastalker said:

Anyone else signed up for Analogue news and NOT get any email regarding the NT Mini V2?  How the heck did others even find out or know to look to order one if it sold out that fast? 

I don’t think it’s been available to purchase yet. There was just a shop listing that went up, probably in error. The comment above about it selling out I took as a joke as it had a laughing emoji ?

Edited by Enragedwhale

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Nt Mini can run games from the SD card. AVS can't.

Also, Nt Mini supports way more systems than just the 1 the AVS has.

I’m unusual in that I’m not interested in rom loading, real carts all the way for me. I’m super happy with my AVS so I suspect the NT mini won’t offer me a lot. 

i accept I’m in the minority there though!

I’m unusual in that I’m not interested in rom loading, real carts all the way for me. I’m super happy with my AVS so I suspect the NT mini won’t offer me a lot. 

They did say it would get cartridge adapters too.

When did Analogue say that?

Not Analogue, but Kevtris and the press. The Nt Mini jailbreak was his thing. He even has a video on his channel showing him design one. Remember: The Nt Mini jailbreak is semi-official (engineer endorsed/made without being company endorsed/made).

A bit too rich for my blood. I'll redirect my attention to the Analogue Pocket instead. Hopefully they'll return to the concept one day with an affordable Nt variant built to the standards of the Super Nt and Mega Sg.

As for cartridge adapters, it seems like if Kevtris was going to produce and sell them, he'd of done it by now. So I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by Atariboy

51 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

As for cartridge adapters, it seems like if Kevtris was going to produce and sell them, he'd of done it by now. So I wouldn't count on it.

I may be misremembering, but didnt Kev put his designs up for anyone who wanted to have those made? I never heard of anyone doing so, but I guess if enough of the top minds got together.....

Edited by jamon1567

42 minutes ago, Toth said:

Wow, finally a 2.4ghz receiver for the NES as well.  That controller/receiver isn't released or announced yet.

I really wish they'd release a dogbone one as well. I ordered the DIY kit for the dogbone and I don't have any issues, but if 2.4ghz was an option too, that'd be even better :D

I may be misremembering, but didnt Kev put his designs up for anyone who wanted to have those made? I never heard of anyone doing so, but I guess if enough of the top minds got together.....
Last I heard they still weren't publicly released making me think he's got other plans... like an official release for Analogue 8 or something. ;)

^Might be that the NT Mini tweaks act as a preliminary for the A-8 and maybe the eventual Zimba 3K re/design, as the Pocket also employs things (multiple memory channels, dual FPGAs, etc) he might need to develop for that goal.  Or he wasn't satisfied with the design and this gave an excuse to revisit it, before moving forward.

whynotboth.gif

52 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Last I heard they still weren't publicly released making me think he's got other plans... like an official release for Analogue 8 or something. ;)

If there were any short term plans for an Analogue 8 (which of course most of us think would be some sort of an 8 bit Z3K) I don't think they'd dust off the Nt Mini. I'm not very hopeful it will see the light of day any time soon, if at all.

18 minutes ago, AtariNerd said:

^Might be that the NT Mini tweaks act as a preliminary for the A-8 and maybe the eventual Zimba 3K re/design, as the Pocket also employs things (multiple memory channels, dual FPGAs, etc) he might need to develop for that goal.  Or he wasn't satisfied with the design and this gave an excuse to revisit it, before moving forward.

whynotboth.gif

Sounds like the tweaks are really only cosmetic so I wouldn't read much into any of that. That said, aside from incompatibilities here and there, the only thing the Nt Mini could really use IMO is interpolation. If we got that I'd be thrilled. I'd like to hope that may happen some day, but Kev seems busy with quite a few other things.

• Like 1

If there were any short term plans for an Analogue 8 (which of course most of us think would be some sort of an 8 bit Z3K) I don't think they'd dust off the Nt Mini. I'm not very hopeful it will see the light of day any time soon, if at all.
I think they would: Get all those $500 sales from the people who committed to it in the petition before revealing the cheaper alternative for the value-conscious hold-outs. ;)

It's how I'd do it in their shoes.
  • Like 2

Sounds like the tweaks are really only cosmetic so I wouldn't read much into any of that. That said, aside from incompatibilities here and there, the only thing the Nt Mini could really use IMO is interpolation. If we got that I'd be thrilled. I'd like to hope that may happen some day, but Kev seems busy with quite a few other things.

Personally, I'd spend the $500 in a heartbeat if it also functioned as a DAC for their other consoles. Seems like DAC functionality for the Super Nt/Mega Sg should've always been rolled into something slightly more useful than a stand-alone product... like a dual-purpose Nt Mini or maybe the Pocket's dock.

8 hours ago, Enragedwhale said:

It's helpful if you are like me and have never seen an NES in person, let alone own any games for it. I wanted to buy a Famicom about a year ago, but no RGB. Famicom games are worth pocket change here, though, unless it's something really rare or in demand like Akumajou Densetsu, and even that is only about 8000 yen CIB.

I've heard that the AVS NES cart slot deathgrips your carts, though, and you definitely can't close the lid with something in the Famicom slot.

1 hour ago, CZroe said:

I think they would: Get all those $500 sales from the people who committed to it in the petition before revealing the cheaper alternative for the value-conscious hold-outs. ;)

It's how I'd do it in their shoes.

I think it would probably just piss a portion of those people off, but they asked for it, so whatever I guess.

1 hour ago, CZroe said:

Personally, I'd spend the $500 in a heartbeat if it also functioned as a DAC for their other consoles. Seems like DAC functionality for the Super Nt/Mega Sg should've always been rolled into something slightly more useful than a stand-alone product... like a dual-purpose Nt Mini or maybe the Pocket's dock.

I would've just preferred pro versions with Analog output myself. Much more elegant than a clunky DAC. I guess the DAC saves on cabling, but given finding an HDMI switch that'll work with it is a challenge in itself, I'd prob still just opt for the extra cabling.

Edited by jamon1567

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It's helpful if you are like me and have never seen an NES in person, let alone own any games for it. I wanted to buy a Famicom about a year ago, but no RGB. Famicom games are worth pocket change here, though, unless it's something really rare or in demand like Akumajou Densetsu, and even that is only about 8000 yen CIB.

I've heard that the AVS NES cart slot deathgrips your carts, though, and you definitely can't close the lid with something in the Famicom slot.

Definitely has a death grip on my Everdrive. 

28 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

Definitely has a death grip on my Everdrive. 

And there it is! How is the Famicom cart slot, if you have tried that?

I'm not sure if I want the Nt Mini. I have no carts and I already have a MiSTer, but I like and want some real carts. I am also not sure about the AVS for the same reasons. AVS is cheaper, but with shipping + cost of games or the Everdrive, it will come out to have a similar price (maybe slightly cheaper) either way.

AVS has interpolation, though, and Nt Mini doesn't, unless that is getting added. Nt Mini would make a better home defense weapon, though, seeing as it's a solid block of metal while the AVS is just wimpy plastic.

Oops, forgot controller. AVS = need to buy a controller separately, which is additional cost. Assuming I buy the AVS and its controller and an Everdrive, that comes out to $185 + $62 for cheapest shipping option available + $65 for controller + $169 for Everdrive + $6 for Everdrive shipping = $487. Yes, I could save some money by buying a different controller, but it's just an example. Might as well pay the extra money and get the Nt Mini at that point.

Edited by Steven Pendleton