2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, schnuth said:

The PSP GO is pretty sweet, but last I checked the docks and memory cards were going for a premium.

My favorite PSP system is the Japanese Monster Hunter 3000 system. It’s extra bulky like the 1000 models, has a rubberized surface, and a much improved analog nub.

The thing I worry about with the PSP3000 is the so called interlacing look with the LCD.  How bothersome is this?

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

The thing I worry about with the PSP3000 is the so called interlacing look with the LCD.  How bothersome is this?

1 hour ago, Drunk_Caterpillar said:

Not very, from my experience.

I found it distracting enough that I returned a 3000 back when you could buy them in store. I much preferred the earlier psp I had, and the go I currently have.

7 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Yeah PS3 support on the Go is pretty cool, but how many games support it?

Every PSP/PS1 game that's on PSN works on the Go without needing to hack it. If you hack it, you can do basically anything you want with it and you won't need a PS3 to download games. PSP PSN is dead now, so you really do not have much of a choice if you get a Go. Still, it's worth it, because it really is the best PSP. I have not tried the 1000, but I do have a few 2000s and one of my friends had a 3000 that I tried once. Go screen is slightly smaller, but way higher quality and has higher pixel density since it's the same resolution, so it looks extremely good in person. Not quite as nice as the original Vita, but close.

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

It's pretty ugly looking compared to the 2000 and especially the Go, but still perfectly usable. If you didn't compare them in person, you'd be totally fine.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I forgot to mention that the 2000 has washed out colors. It's just how the screens are. PSP games are designed for this and they look just fine. In fact, the Vita has a setting for PSP games that allows you to use the original washed-out colors from the 1000 and 2000. Some games might look a bit garish with the Vita/Go colors (the Corpse Party games are noticeably brighter and more colorful, for example), but they still look very nice like that. I don't remember how the 3000's colors look in person, but you might want to read this:

http://technomediaworx.blogspot.com/2009/04/psp-2000-vs-psp-3000.html

The Go fixes all screen problems with all previous models entirely. It has colors almost as nice as the OLED Vita, the scanlines from the 3000 are gone, the ghosting from the 2000 is gone, and it's bright enough to blind you at the lowest setting. The Go's battery does seem to be a bit shorter than the 2000's battery, though.

I did forget to mention something important, though. Playing PS1 games on a TV on PSP is blurry compared to using a PS1/PS2/PS3 for PS1 games. That's just how it is. I imagine the official Sony component cables are getting hard to find now, and I know the dock for the Go is like $100 used. If you are going to be playing on a TV, you really want that dock because it's the only way to charge the Go and play on a TV at the same time. Using the TV out kills your battery fast on any model of the PSP, and since the Go shares its charging port with the TV out, the dock is the only way to get around that unless you use a different model. Only the Go has PS3 controller support, I think, but I may be wrong. You do need a PS3 to connect the PS3 controller to the PSP, though, so if you don't have one of those, you can't do it.

One last thing to note is something that's frequently overlooked: the PSP has a built-in PC Engine emulator that nobody ever talks about! I just learned about it 2 or 3 months ago (after having owned a PSP since September/October of 2008) and have not used it, but it's there. I guess there are PC Engine games on PSN that I didn't know existed or something. Apparently you can use that PC Engine emulator for whatever PC Engine games you want if you hack the system, but I'm not sure of the details.

Basically you can never go wrong with any PSP model and it's a great system no matter which one you get. I prefer the Go, but it has its problems, just like the rest of them. If you don't care about losing the UMD support or you want to hack it, the Go is the best, and it even comes with 16GB of internal storage. It is REALLY tiny though (it's basically the same size as a regular Sega Genesis cart), so I can definitely understand if people don't like it because of its small size.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

One last thing to note is something that's frequently overlooked: the PSP has a built-in PC Engine emulator that nobody ever talks about! I just learned about it 2 or 3 months ago (after having owned a PSP since September/October of 2008) and have not used it, but it's there. I guess there are PC Engine games on PSN that I didn't know existed or something. Apparently you can use that PC Engine emulator for whatever PC Engine games you want if you hack the system, but I'm not sure of the details.

I know a number of Turbo games were available as DLC on PSN (including Supergrafx Battle Ace) and are available in that format for hacked PSPs... but are you talking about where they take the Soldier Collection ISO and inject ROMS into it?  I'd be curious if that works well. 

Else of course there's PCEP or PSPHugo which I haven't looked at in a long time, and they weren't the greatest when I did. Maybe they've gotten better since then. 

1 hour ago, NE146 said:

I know a number of Turbo games were available as DLC on PSN (including Supergrafx Battle Ace) and are available in that format for hacked PSPs... but are you talking about where they take the Soldier Collection ISO and inject ROMS into it?  I'd be curious if that works well. 

Else of course there's PCEP or PSPHugo which I haven't looked at in a long time, and they weren't the greatest when I did. Maybe they've gotten better since then. 

lol Battle Ace. I just bought that thing 2 days ago. Definitely not worth the 1800 yen I paid for it, but you need it if you want the full SuperGrafx set. It's only 5 games, though, so it's not too bad aside from the insane $700~$1000+ price of a CIB copy of 1941 Counter Attack.

But yes, I'm talking about putting in stuff that isn't actually on PSN. I guess you can do that somehow. Still, for portable PC Engine, I'd rather just wait and see if someone develops a SuperGrafx core for the Pocket with Arcade/Super CD-ROM2 support or get HuDebug when/if that gets released and use that on a GT. Pretty sure the GT's screen is bigger than the PSP's, actually, assuming that you are using the proper 4:3 aspect ratio and not mangling the image by forcing it to run in 16:9.

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

In fact, the Vita has a setting for PSP games that allows you to use the original washed-out colors from the 1000 and 2000.

I'll just quote myself. I just checked my PSP Go and it has this option as well. Comparing it to the Vita, the effect of the color space option on the Go is way more noticeable than on the Vita.

I got a bit further with my attempted Mega SG / 32X / Analogue DAC / CRT setup.

The auto region 32X works perfectly on a newly purchased region switched Mega Drive 2 with the Packapunch SCART cable.

So that leaves me beadily eying the SG / DAC / DAC link cable as to the culprit.

Does anyone know how an auto region 32X would know which region? Is it from the Mega Drive or the cart plugged into it? I'd imagine it's something to do with this or the link cable itself.

I have a further cable coming that will allow me to test the SG / DAC without the 32X into my CRT to narrow it down further.

This is trivial and unimportant, but I was reminded of it as I was playing my Super Nt earlier and thought I'd post it here out of curiosity if it slightly annoyed anyone else. I wish the jailbreak for the Super Nt and Mega Sg (And presumably the Nt Mini) handled alphabetization a bit differently. Games with numbered sequels will appear in the list ahead of the originals. 

Top Gear.sfc for instance will be listed below Top Gear 2.sfc despite being the first game in the series. I'm not sure of conventions and this system may technically be correct, but it doesn't work out that way in practice with videogame titles with sequels. 

Of course the user can solve this by renaming files like Top Gear.sfc to Top Gear 1.sfc if they just have to have things ordered in what they deem the correct sequence, but it would be nice in the future such as a potential Analogue Pocket jailbreak if it was modified so that numbered sequels are listed after the original.

That all said, I love these two systems. I'm glad that perhaps my first Super Nt complaint I've posted since buying it 18 months ago or so is deep into nitpicking territory. :)

Edited by Atariboy

No one is going about all the Nintendo HDL that was leaked?

OK.

...not that Kev/Analogue could do much with it for commercial FPGAs unless they had isolated teams like the folks who reverse-engineered the IBM PC BIOS for 100% compatible clones.

1 hour ago, CZroe said:

...not that Kev/Analogue could do much with it for commercial FPGAs unless they had isolated teams like the folks who reverse-engineered the IBM PC BIOS for 100% compatible clones.

Well, I keep a copy of the leak files to myself, like many have done.

For the rest, isolated teams and all are just shows off for legal issues, but who can prove teams were totally isolated for real? Just work offline on disposable hardware destroyed after the work is done and that's it, gone are you proof and your lawsuit. This is not Halt and Catch Fire, but reality.

That reminds me when the GBA devkit leaked. Emulators started to pop soon after and every emu author made a point to state they didn't use the devkit for developing their emu, while showing pictures of their emu running the demo included with the devkit. Total hypocrisy.

• Like 2

For the rest, isolated teams and all are just shows off for legal issues, but who can prove teams were totally isolated for real? Just work offline on disposable hardware destroyed after the work is done and that's it, gone are you proof and your lawsuit. This is not Halt and Catch Fire, but reality.

That reminds me when the GBA devkit leaked. Emulators started to pop soon after and every emu author made a point to state they didn't use the devkit for developing their emu, while showing pictures of their emu running the demo included with the devkit. Total hypocrisy.

The problem is that there could be an uncanny similarity that gets you in hot water or the rights holders could try to claim that it was not possible to do without violating their rights (whether that is true or not). This is why Compaq paid lawyers to oversee and audit the separate groups when they made their clone BIOS. They were able to document the isolation so thoroughly as they went along that IBM knew better than to even try. The team that wrote the compatible BIOS had not been shown even a single byte of code from the original regardless of any resulting similarities.

3 hours ago, CZroe said:

No one is going about all the Nintendo HDL that was leaked?

OK.

Sir this is a Wendy’s. ;)

But seriously, theres nothing concrete to really talk about. Anyone who knows enough to know what’s in the leak isn’t saying anything in a forum like this because who wants to invite scrutiny? After all, this isn’t a cute little “Oh look, the trailer for this new game leaked a week early!” kind of leak. The kid originally responsible for this hack would be serving a serious prison sentence for this if it weren’t for the fact that the judge gave him house arrest (he has several conditions that made prison a pretty cruel proposition). Microsoft and Nintendo were equal measures furious and litigious.

If you are interested in gossip, unconfirmed rumour right now is that it contains a bunch of data from iQue manufacturing. This reportedly includes—and I want to stress that I still have no way to substantiate this rumour, so take it with a massive grain of salt—verilog files for the N64 hardware. Everything is speculation at this point though. 

• Like 1

Sir this is a Wendy’s. [emoji6]

But seriously, theres nothing concrete to really talk about. Anyone who knows enough to know what’s in the leak isn’t saying anything in a forum like this because who wants to invite scrutiny? After all, this isn’t a cute little “Oh look, the trailer for this new game leaked a week early!” kind of leak. The kid originally responsible for this hack would be serving a serious prison sentence for this if it weren’t for the fact that the judge gave him house arrest (he has several conditions that made prison a pretty cruel proposition). Microsoft and Nintendo were equal measures furious and litigious.

If you are interested in gossip, unconfirmed rumour right now is that it contains a bunch of data from iQue manufacturing. This reportedly includes—and I want to stress that I still have no way to substantiate this rumour, so take it with a massive grain of salt—verilog files for the N64 hardware. Everything is speculation at this point though. 

That last paragraph is precisely what prompted me to look for any conversation that might be happening here. atariage_icon_wink.gif I'm sure Marshall is having a field day!

I never dreamed we'd actually have hope of a true hardware clone without the limitations of the original. Not saying we'll get a 720p version with three GPUs and a huge texture cache, but we are a lot closer to something more than I ever dared to dream. atariage_icon_smile.gif

The consequences of this are going to be interesting!

36 minutes ago, CZroe said:

That last paragraph is precisely what prompted me to look for any conversation that might be happening here. atariage_icon_wink.gif I'm sure Marshall is having a field day!

I never dreamed we'd actually have hope of a true hardware clone without the limitations of the original. Not saying we'll get a 720p version with three GPUs and a huge texture cache, but we are a lot closer to something more than I ever dared to dream. atariage_icon_smile.gif

The consequences of this are going to be interesting!

If you're looking for an accurate representation of the original hardware then FPGA is a great fit but if you're looking for substantial improvements in fidelity and performance then emulation is probably a better route to go. I'm not that knowledgeable but from what I've been led to believe you'll never see things like an affine texture warping fix in a PSX FPGA core, whereas Mednafen has been doing it for years. So, you know, try not to get too excited. ;)

17 hours ago, CZroe said:
18 hours ago, Slipard said:

The problem is that there could be an uncanny similarity that gets you in hot water or the rights holders could try to claim that it was not possible to do without violating their rights (whether that is true or not). This is why Compaq paid lawyers to oversee and audit the separate groups when they made their clone BIOS. They were able to document the isolation so thoroughly as they went along that IBM knew better than to even try. The team that wrote the compatible BIOS had not been shown even a single byte of code from the original regardless of any resulting similarities.

Still show off.
Better Call Saul; your lawyer will thoroughly document your fake teams isolated work while the real one do the math. ;-)

• Like 1

Still show off.
Better Call Saul; your lawyer will thoroughly document your fake teams isolated work while the real one do the math. ;-)
I'm just wondering if the iQue stuff might be iQue DS and everyone is assuming it's the original iQue with N64 hardware. Really hope it's the original. :)

After hearing about the Nintendo leak, I kind of wonder if Nintendo orchestrated it. I have no proof nor allegation; just motive.  It does perhaps put them in an even stronger legal position now. This could prevent a N64 FPGA core or clone console(s) if also considering GC and Wii. The CLAIM alone of stolen code could be used to shut down many projects that want nothing to do with lawsuits.  It might be a smart move if they did.  It all remains to be seen what happens but I'd scrutinize Nintendo who have had a heavy hand in the past. Only speaking opinion here, but somehow I think Sega would be cooler with it if clone Saturns and Dreamcasts were made.  In fact, I'd love a 32x clone right now. These things are royal pains to work on. 

41 minutes ago, seastalker said:

After hearing about the Nintendo leak, I kind of wonder if Nintendo orchestrated it.

Wouldn't be a first. At least for the Super Famicom, they released themselves illegal copies of their games in Hong-Kong ahead of Japan to audit the local gamers' reception and decide upon how many carts to produce for Japan to make sure they produce the right number.

That concerned first and third-party games, notably including Capcom as "partner in crime".

5 hours ago, seastalker said:

After hearing about the Nintendo leak, I kind of wonder if Nintendo orchestrated it. I have no proof nor allegation; just motive.  It does perhaps put them in an even stronger legal position now. This could prevent a N64 FPGA core or clone console(s) if also considering GC and Wii. The CLAIM alone of stolen code could be used to shut down many projects that want nothing to do with lawsuits.  It might be a smart move if they did.  It all remains to be seen what happens but I'd scrutinize Nintendo who have had a heavy hand in the past. Only speaking opinion here, but somehow I think Sega would be cooler with it if clone Saturns and Dreamcasts were made.  In fact, I'd love a 32x clone right now. These things are royal pains to work on. 

Are you Freud’s brain transplanted in to Romanian athlete Daniela Viorica Silivaș-Harper while she’s doing a space walk? Because the mental gymnastics on display here are out of this world. ?

Edited by Drunk_Caterpillar
  • Like 1

With regards to the Analogue Pocket, it looks like it is using this screen designed for VR headsets doesn’t it?

http://www.panelook.com/VS035ZSM-NW0-69P0_BOE_3.5_LCM_overview_37926.html

or something very similar.

in bulk it looks to cost about $65 at least. Add to this the cost of the two FPGA chips and there can’t be much profit margin on the Pocket. The screen is even More expensive from the link below.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VS035ZSM-NH0-69P0-BOE-3-5_60803108405.html

Edited by SlCKB0Y

With regards to the Analogue Pocket, it looks like it is using this screen designed for VR headsets doesn’t it?

in bulk it looks to cost about $65 at least. Add to this the cost of the two FPGA chips and there can’t be much profit margin on the Pocket. The screen is even More expensive from the link below.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VS035ZSM-NH0-69P0-BOE-3-5_60803108405.html
We can't say that about the profit margin until we at least know what it's going to cost. Remember, these guys have sold gold-plated consoles for thousands of dollars!

2 hours ago, CZroe said:
4 hours ago, SlCKB0Y said:

We can't say that about the profit margin until we at least know what it's going to cost. Remember, these guys have sold gold-plated consoles for thousands of dollars!

Didn’t they already state it was $200? I could have dreamed that.

Didn’t they already state it was $200? I could have dreamed that.
I assume they will announce the price when they open up preorders. This is a weird one since they didn't do that during the product announcement like they typically do.