2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Ye, found the retro access cable. But I figure it will take months oversees.

Thanks, ill go the route and make a DB15 RGB out, but instead going to a scart at the end it should go to a genesis port.. Should be right..

Could it be like this?

DB15 -> Genesis2 connector(goes to 32x input)

1-----Red------>7

2-----Green--->3

3-----Blue----->1

13---Hsync--->5

14--Vsync---->5

Grounding pin 4 and pin 11 on DB15.

(6,7,8 goes to ground)  (RGB ground))

Then taking pin 8 and 9 on the genesis connector to the RCA Left/Right on the DAC.

10 minutes ago, atmn said:

Could it be like this?

DB15 -> Genesis2 connector(goes to 32x input)

1-----Red------>7

2-----Green--->3

3-----Blue----->1

13---Hsync--->5

14--Vsync---->5

Grounding pin 4 and pin 11 on DB15.

(6,7,8 goes to ground)  (RGB ground))

Then taking pin 8 and 9 on the genesis connector to the RCA Left/Right on the DAC.

I found it. The pinout for the Nt mini matches the pinout on the DAC

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360033388932-DAC-FAQ

so I guess just make a cable for that pinout and attach the proper DIN on the other end.

6 hours ago, CZroe said:

I can see Nt Mini owners who had no reason to prorder when they still could being upset that they are learning about the upgrade after the window of opportunity has passed. The way it was done excluded them unless they were so miffed at the flaky connector or wanted black so bad that they'd preorder it anyway for several hundred dollars.

I made the calculated decision to wait for the ~$190 Analogue 8 but I definitely would not have if I knew what we k ow now. ...and it's not just that I didn't know: they out-right said it was the same Nt Mini we already know except for the cartridge slot and color. It's hard to make the right decisions when even the details you think you know are wrong.

I cut them some slack because it's clear to me that even they didn't know they'd be doing it this way at that point. Who knows what snag pushed them in this direction. It's still frustrating though, since I absolutely would have ordered one of I knew it was going to have scaling with horizontal interpolation like Mega Sg/Super Nt. Oh well. I'll just have to wait longer for the plastic HDMI-only version that I suspect will also have fewer controller ports (Analogue 8). At least I'll be paying less.

Here's what I see happening over the next 1.5 to 3 years:
Nt Mini Noir launch
Analogue Pocket preorders open
Analogue DAC Round 2 preorders
Analogue Pocket launches with most/all adapters available
Analogue DAC Round 2 wrap-up
Warranty spare Noirs get sold without controllers
Demand for Analogue's FPGA NES spikes after sell-out
Analogue 8 preorders begin
Analogue 8 launches

I'm 100% confident they didn't put all this work into some limited run console.   They have plans for another console where this NES core will be used.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, afx_acid said:

cIu2sZF.png

Obviously not, with all the brand new features the Noir is getting.

It says right above the highlighted "updated UI".  How did so many people miss this?  And new features should have been a given considering they have been on the same path of using a similar UI (with features) consistently since the Super NT's release, especially when they have mentioned before they want all future consoles to be consistent for DAC use.  Kevtris & Analogue have consistently provided a better and better user experience with each console they've released.  Why would they have taken 3-5 steps back with a simple re-release of the Nt Mini?

You seriously could have just made a good bet on the assumption that much more was coming and purchased a console.  If the console didn't end up being so much more, you could have still sold it back at value or at a slight (or decent) profit on eBay or locally.  Sorry to say, but this wasn't exactly a bad purchase either way if this was your first Nt Mini.  Now for people who already had an older Nt Mini and didn't want to take the gamble, I'm not sure what to say.   It seems like it's about 50/50 on people who didn't purchase, or bought with the anticipation of new features (or to collect).

Edited by Sho
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Better profit margin.

I think they'd rather profit and still wow you with features -- hence the reason why so many people are complaining about not ordering one now. 

They've always been obsessed with their perception of "superior quality" in the retro gaming space.

Edited by Sho

17 minutes ago, Sho said:

I think they'd rather profit and still wow you with features -- hence the reason why so many people are complaining about not ordering one now. 

They've always been obsessed with their perception of "superior quality" in the retro gaming space.

Of course. Still, they could have released exactly the same old Nt mini without changing anything at all and it would have still sold. Maybe not as many as an upgraded one, but maybe it might have sold less since owners of the old type would literally have no reason to buy the new one. No way to know, I guess, unless someone invents a time machine.

Instead, they decided to spend time, which is money, to fix the NES cart slot, which is a highly welcome upgrade (but we'll see if the cart still blows around in the wind and causes your game to freak out like the original apparently does... and yes, I'm absolutely going to test it when I get mine), redoing the UI, which, as far as we knew at the time, is essentially just a cosmetic change that doesn't affect much (we now know this is beyond just a simple cosmetic change), and some other stuff that I'm to lazy to go to their website and check.

Still, that's what they chose to do instead of just doing the same old Nt mini, so this is what we get. These changes are very much in line with expectations from Analogue overall, though, and I do not disagree with your statement about it. It could have been handled better, of course, but this is how it is.

3 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Of course. Still, they could have released exactly the same old Nt mini without changing anything at all and it would have still sold. Maybe not as many as an upgraded one, but maybe it might have sold less since owners of the old type would literally have no reason to buy the new one. No way to know, I guess, unless someone invents a time machine.

Instead, they decided to spend time, which is money, to fix the NES cart slot, which is a highly welcome upgrade (but we'll see if the cart still blows around in the wind and causes your game to freak out like the original apparently does... and yes, I'm absolutely going to test it when I get mine), redoing the UI, which, as far as we knew at the time, is essentially just a cosmetic change that doesn't affect much (we now know this is beyond just a simple cosmetic change), and some other stuff that I'm to lazy to go to their website and check.

Still, that's what they chose to do instead of just doing the same old Nt mini, so this is what we get. These changes are very much in line with expectations from Analogue overall, though, and I do not disagree with your statement about it. It could have been handled better, of course, but this is how it is.

Yes I agree with you 100% — they could released the exact same product with slightly different branding and still sold gangbusters.  The question is “Why would you expect more of the same?”  I also agree that their delivery was kinda lame... I do feel bad for people who aren’t as informed as many of us are here and in the CG discord.

The updated UI should have told many that it was a bit more than what should have been expected, at least for people who have been paying attention.  Kev has mentioned many times that the older FPGA in the original NT Mini was almost full and could barely do much more.  We’ve seen at least three years of development with a completely new UI and set up, the inclusion of a DAC and pretty robust features.  

If I was a person who had an older Nt Mini and saw this newer one, I would have given it a go regardless given how I’ve seen their track record.  I guess reading back, I’m definitely in the minority on that.  One thing I’ve definitely learned about Kevtris and Analogue is that never discount them on an attempt to wow people.

3 hours ago, Sho said:

It says right above the highlighted "updated UI".  How did so many people miss this?  And new features should have been a given considering they have been on the same path of using a similar UI (with features) consistently since the Super NT's release, especially when they have mentioned before they want all future consoles to be consistent for DAC use.  Kevtris & Analogue have consistently provided a better and better user experience with each console they've released.  Why would they have taken 3-5 steps back with a simple re-release of the Nt Mini?

You seriously could have just made a good bet on the assumption that much more was coming and purchased a console.  If the console didn't end up being so much more, you could have still sold it back at value or at a slight (or decent) profit on eBay or locally.  Sorry to say, but this wasn't exactly a bad purchase either way if this was your first Nt Mini.  Now for people who already had an older Nt Mini and didn't want to take the gamble, I'm not sure what to say.   It seems like it's about 50/50 on people who didn't purchase, or bought with the anticipation of new features (or to collect).

The UI is such a minimal part of the console, after all no one buys it to just look at the menu screens. It's the extra features that the Noir will have over the original NT Mini that are a sore point, most of all interpolation which will allow the games to be played at their proper screen ratio without pixel shimmering. After all, they were advertising the Noir, at its core, as the same product ("one final run", "the same Nt mini you know and love"). And while I do understand that products can be updated over time, without advertising the improvements beforehand it leaves us original owners with a dilemma over whether it would be worth buying the new model, after all $500 is a lot of money to be paying up front, months in advance of a product even being ready to ship.

All I can say is I hope us original owners at the very least get the new "100% rewritten" NES core if it turns out to be more accurate.

Edited by afx_acid

So, are all the people now being angry at Analogue angry incells pestering against The Last of Us 2 and their mother or do they know admit that I was right to call them on their bullshit and that their last move proved me plainly right ?

Anyway, I am glad I ordered one and have no sympathy for those who didn't, mostly the same people that flamed me for being a whistleblower. You got what you preached for.

re: the question: “Why would you expect more of the same?”.  I am an original NT Mini owner, and I bought a Noir expecting it was the same thing. I didn't even really know about the cart slot (I never had a problem with my original the small amount of times I used it). Anyway, I hemmed and hawed for a few days but at the end of the day I guess the reason was I wanted two? That's about it. 

42 minutes ago, Slipard said:

So, are all the people now being angry at Analogue angry incells pestering against The Last of Us 2 and their mother or do they know admit that I was right to call them on their bullshit and that their last move proved me plainly right ?

I'm not sure anyone knows what the heck you're even talking about :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GarrettCRW said:

The term "bait and switch" definitely applies right now.

No.  "It seems you misunderstand the criteria that constitutes a bait and switch" seems more applicable here.

However, it does stink for (and I certainly empathize with) anyone who didn't pre-order but would have if they'd known the extra details.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, afx_acid said:

The UI is such a minimal part of the console, after all no one buys it to just look at the menu screens. It's the extra features that the Noir will have over the original NT Mini that are a sore point, most of all interpolation which will allow the games to be played at their proper screen ratio without pixel shimmering. After all, they were advertising the Noir, at its core, as the same product ("one final run", "the same Nt mini you know and love"). And while I do understand that products can be updated over time, without advertising the improvements beforehand it leaves us original owners with a dilemma over whether it would be worth buying the new model, after all $500 is a lot of money to be paying up front, months in advance of a product even being ready to ship.

All I can say is I hope us original owners at the very least get the new "100% rewritten" NES core if it turns out to be more accurate.

You might think the UI is minimal, but it's actually integral to bringing it in line with their other products - the Super NT, Mega SG, their special edition variants, all of the jailbroken firmware and now the Noir (and it's inevitable jailbreak) now all share a common UI (and FPGA chip) which will work in tandem with the DAC.  I wouldn't be surprised if the interpolation and the other features were simply possible due to the newer chip as well.

I agree, $500 is a lot of money to pay up front.  As I said earlier however, there was no real way you could have lost on the investment, even if it was in fact more of the same.  Assuming it was, it would still sell on eBay at a later date for 700-1000, less if you really were desperate to get your return on investment.  I had a friend who purchased the Noir months ago, later found out about MiSTer and it's NES core, and then finally decided he'll still hold onto the Noir-investment until he could double his money.

Kev has already mentioned in the CG Discord that original owners won't be getting a "100% rewritten" NES core on it.  He could probably clarify here so as I'm not speaking for him.

6 hours ago, NE146 said:

re: the question: “Why would you expect more of the same?”.  I am an original NT Mini owner, and I bought a Noir expecting it was the same thing. I didn't even really know about the cart slot (I never had a problem with my original the small amount of times I used it). Anyway, I hemmed and hawed for a few days but at the end of the day I guess the reason was I wanted two? That's about it. 

I guess I am one of the few that saw there would be some changes with the UI, and immediately assumed that it would be a lot more than that information provided at the time.

Edited by Sho

1 hour ago, Slipard said:

To add insult to injury: new benefits won't be ported back to Nt Mini (Analogue's official stance) and jailbreak will get new cores (Kevtris' statement).

Analogue will never discuss it officially but I wouldn't be surprised if Kevtris backported some of the cores, especially the Intellivision core which he said was coming.

2 minutes ago, Slipard said:

Don't hold your breath; VoodooFPGA™ space is lacking on the ntm1.

Lack of space doesn't affect the ability to port new cores like Intellivision. The cores run individually, not all at the same time. NES takes up most of the space due to all the mappers, but that space is free to use for other less ambitious cores.

8 hours ago, Slipard said:

To add insult to injury: new benefits won't be ported back to Nt Mini (Analogue's official stance) and jailbreak will get new cores (Kevtris' statement).

Boo Frickity hoo, man.  It's a toy, anyone who doesn't have access to whatever features the new NT mini has will be ok.

All of the stupid infighting and mudslinging of Analogue vs Mister has only pushed me back to software emulation.

Edited by zetastrike

1 hour ago, zetastrike said:

All of the stupid infighting and mudslinging of Analogue vs Mister has only pushed me back to software emulation.

Where exactly has their been "mudslinging" in this thread? I'm genuinely curious. I recall seeing pots where people were frustrated, sometimes understandably so, but I don't remember any posts where anyone out right put them down. There have been posts where comparisons to Mister and other devices were made, but none to my recollection that pushed the idea the Analogue was in any way inferior or worthless.

4 hours ago, Slipard said:

Lack of space is confirmed as one of the reasons (time being the other) for no Intellivision on ntm1.

Where? Give me a quote.

Edit: nevermind, I found it. I ordered a ntm2 but that's still unfortunate to hear.

Edited by cacophony