2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Reaperman said:

If v2 really does everything my v1 does, I'll possibly sell that older one to cover much of the v2 cost.  A shame its controller died on me, that's part of the package.

Typical 8BitDo "quality". Still, you could buy a new controller for it just to sell it and still recover the entire cost of the new Nt mini or at least come close, judging by this

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=nt+mini&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Edited by Steven Pendleton

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Typical 8BitDo "quality". Still, you could buy a new controller for it just to sell it and still recover the entire cost of the new Nt mini or at least come close, judging by this

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=nt+mini&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. That controller sucks anyway. That said, if you REALLY want one, I'll sell you (Reaperman that is) mine lol.

Edited by jamon1567

3 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. That controller sucks anyway. That said, if you REALLY want one, I'll sell you (Reaperman that is) mine lol.

lol that doesn't surprise me with 8BitDo. Of my 5 8BitDo controllers, 4 are trash. The M30 2.4g is awesome to the point where I somehow doubt that 8BitDo actually even made it, especially since it seems they figured out how d-pads are actually supposed to work. I hope this new one for the new Nt mini isn't complete trash. I guess I'll find out in November.

20 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

lol that doesn't surprise me with 8BitDo. Of my 5 8BitDo controllers, 4 are trash. The M30 2.4g is awesome to the point where I somehow doubt that 8BitDo actually even made it, especially since it seems they figured out how d-pads are actually supposed to work. I hope this new one for the new Nt mini isn't complete trash. I guess I'll find out in November.

I have one of the old style SF30's that works great, although it could use the d-pad modification because things like trying to slide under a block in Mario you have to be very deliberate. I also have a newer one (a black one they sold with the Super Nt) that is just garbage though. The N30's (I think thats what they were) that came with the Nt Mini were all trash though from what I've heard, and it's easily the worst of the several 8 Bitdo controllers I have. If you're reading this Reaperman, trust me, nobody wants it :lol:

Edited by jamon1567

especially since it seems they figured out how d-pads are actually supposed to work. I hope this new one for the new Nt mini isn't complete trash. I guess I'll find out in November.

Yea I have the new 8bitdo N30 2.4g and SN30 2.4g controllers and they are both awesome. Dpad s feel great with no false inputs and the lag is undetectable by me, whereas I can feel it with Bluetooth controllers for latency sensitive inputs - eg the pixel perfect and frame perfect input required for wall jumps in SMB1 on NES.

I've had the same experience.  The M30 2.4g is shockingly awesome (I still prefer the Krikzz Joyzz), but the issue with diagonals for their SFC and FC bluetooth controllers makes it nearly impossible to play at a high level.  I ordered an SN30 2.4g, which doesn't have the directional issue, but my controller is defective—the right directional is overly sensitive so you need to apply excessive force for it to stay activated; this obviously makes playing any game pretty much impossible.

Others have reported the same issue and if these controllers were actually being tested they would not have been shipped out in the first place, because the defect is obvious within moments of trying to use the controller.

To 8bitdo's credit they offered to replace it, but I will need to ship the controller to their office in ShenZhen where they will test it and then either repair or exchange it.

2 hours ago, jamon1567 said:

I have one of the old style SF30's that works great, although it could use the d-pad modification because things like trying to slide under a block in Mario you have to be very deliberate. I also have a newer one (a black one they sold with the Super Nt) that is just garbage though. The N30's (I think thats what they were) that came with the Nt Mini were all trash though from what I've heard, and it's easily the worst of the several 8 Bitdo controllers I have. If you're reading this Reaperman, trust me, nobody wants it :lol:

1 hour ago, SlCKB0Y said:

Yea I have the new 8bitdo N30 2.4g and SN30 2.4g controllers and they are both awesome. Dpad s feel great with no false inputs and the lag is undetectable by me, whereas I can feel it with Bluetooth controllers for latency sensitive inputs - eg the pixel perfect and frame perfect input required for wall jumps in SMB1 on NES.

1 hour ago, newtmonkey said:

I've had the same experience.  The M30 2.4g is shockingly awesome (I still prefer the Krikzz Joyzz), but the issue with diagonals for their SFC and FC bluetooth controllers makes it nearly impossible to play at a high level.  I ordered an SN30 2.4g, which doesn't have the directional issue, but my controller is defective—the right directional is overly sensitive so you need to apply excessive force for it to stay activated; this obviously makes playing any game pretty much impossible.

Others have reported the same issue and if these controllers were actually being tested they would not have been shipped out in the first place, because the defect is obvious within moments of trying to use the controller.

To 8bitdo's credit they offered to replace it, but I will need to ship the controller to their office in ShenZhen where they will test it and then either repair or exchange it.

Well, I must say that I am quite surprised and relieved at everyone here saying that 8BitDo generally is terrible! Most places on the internet that I've seen would have you believe that 8BitDo makes the best controllers in history somehow. Not sure how the hell that happens when the damn things don't even connect to the system/receiver 80% of the time, but sure enough...

Anyway, terrible company makes garbage, but if the new 2.4g controllers are good, that's good, especially the new N30 2.4g for the Nt mini since it's a little bit more difficult to find Famicom controllers than you'd think. This is probably mostly due to them being hardwired to the Famicom, of course, but the New Famicom controllers don't really show up as often as you'd think. Most of the ones I see are included in a set with a New Famicom (which I'm not buying). I did see an NES controller recently, though... for 9800 yen. No way in hell am I paying that much cash for a controller unless it's the XE-1AP or the Steel Battalion controller (which I see quite frequently, actually).

I feel like their newer controllers are pretty good.  The Sn 30 Pro+ and the 2.4ghz M30 are both really good for me.  I wish they would update their DIY kits with 2.4ghz receivers.  I know their newer 2.4ghz controllers have different dpad contacts on the PCB than their older controllers so I think the diagonals should be fixed from now on (SN30 vs SN30 2.4ghz for example.  The newer 2.4ghz is fixed and has different shaped button contacts)

Edited by Toth

46 minutes ago, Toth said:

I feel like their newer controllers are pretty good.  The Sn 30 Pro+ and the 2.4ghz M30 are both really good for me.  I wish they would update their DIY kits with 2.4ghz receivers.  I know their newer 2.4ghz controllers have different dpad contacts on the PCB than their older controllers so I think the diagonals should be fixed from now on (SN30 vs SN30 2.4ghz for example.  The newer 2.4ghz is fixed and has different shaped button contacts)

Do you know if it's possible to swap the insides of a 2.4ghz controller to the shell of one of the old SN30's? I just really can't get into the redesign of them and the old SF30 I have that is basically identical to the actual SFC controllers would be ideal to swap out with.

Edit: I guess that prob wouldn't be possible since the start and select buttons are set differently on the new ones....ugh....and on a side note, they need to release a dogbone style NES controller. They made the DIY kit, so just release the damn thing!!! Dogbone 4 life!!!

Edited by jamon1567

13 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

Do you know if it's possible to swap the insides of a 2.4ghz controller to the shell of one of the old SN30's? I just really can't get into the redesign of them and the old SF30 I have that is basically identical to the actual SFC controllers would be ideal to swap out with.

Edit: I guess that prob wouldn't be possible since the start and select buttons are set differently on the new ones....ugh....and on a side note, they need to release a dogbone style NES controller. They made the DIY kit, so just release the damn thing!!! Dogbone 4 life!!!

I thought the Dogbone was good, UNTIL I used it for awhile.

It has MAJOR problems IMHO.

1. The buttons are angled the wrong way, they should be slanted the other way.

2. The buttons are too far apart! Compare them to the original, they are off.

3. The D-pad is not as good as the original, but I'm not sure why yet.

Believe me, I WANT to love the Dogbone, but it's really not a good controller. The BEST is a SNES controller with an adapter to play on NES. Now THAT is the BEST controller for NES!

• Like 2

Hi everyone, I have seen some Super Nt bugs posted here previously but I'm unsure if there's a better place?

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest has a sound effect issue:

1. Shurikens and arrows used by Tristam and Phoebe respectively do not play the full/expected sound effect. (this one is very obvious when you hear it)

2. Defeating enemies does not play the full sound effect (cuts off the end, a bit more subtle)

I am using a SD2SNES, not a real cart, but the ROM I am using has no issues when played via bsnes. If someone could verify this issue that would be great.

1 hour ago, jamon1567 said:

It's possible on the SN30 that has the same shaped Start and Select so like the controllers that came out when the Super Nt were released work.  I doubt the original 8bitdo controllers (now discontinued) with the angled Start/Select would work but I haven't seen it attempted.

1 hour ago, XtraSmiley said:

Believe me, I WANT to love the Dogbone, but it's really not a good controller. The BEST is a SNES controller with an adapter to play on NES. Now THAT is the BEST controller for NES!

Yeah, the angled buttons kill it for me  It's also a little small both in size and the A and B buttons seem small or something.  Maybe it's because they are convex rather than concave.  The rounded shape of the controller is really nice but I just can't get used to it.  The nostalgia of the brick also plays into it a little.

Edited by Toth

3 hours ago, XtraSmiley said:

I agree the angle on the buttons is not "proper" but if you use it for a while you'll get used to it. And I've had no issues with the d-pad either, and like it better in fact cuz it doesnt have the hard edges of the OG. But yea, some ppl love it, others don't, but there are def enough of us that swear by it that they need to release one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toth said:

It's possible on the SN30 that has the same shaped Start and Select so like the controllers that came out when the Super Nt were released work.  I doubt the original 8bitdo controllers (now discontinued) with the angled Start/Select would work but I haven't seen it attempted.

Yeah, the angled buttons kill it for me  It's also a little small both in size and the A and B buttons seem small or something.  Maybe it's because they are convex rather than concave.  The rounded shape of the controller is really nice but I just can't get used to it.  The nostalgia of the brick also plays into it a little.

Yea, I wanted to swap it with the discontinued ones since they have the proper look.

As for the dogbone, I grew up with a toaster, but my parents also bought my sister a top loader which quickly became the go to system in the house. I've been using a dogbone for a minute and have built up that comfort level with it. If you never used one back in the day, I could see how it would be odd, but even back then I liked it better mainly because the d-pad was more comfortable. You can get used to the buttons though, and if that's your only beef it's worth revisiting. For extended sessions the OG isn't the most comfortable and isn't easy on the hands.

Edited by jamon1567

Question for Kev about scanlines. I don't recall anyone here asking this before, but on all of your systems, when using scanlines they disappear when the screen scrolls vertically. For instance, if you you're dropping down in a stage in Mega Man. Is there a reason for this and is it something that could potentially be overcome? I have to admit that it's pretty distracting, and if something could be done it would be a very welcome addition.

On 8/12/2020 at 1:20 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, I must say that I am quite surprised and relieved at everyone here saying that 8BitDo generally is terrible! Most places on the internet that I've seen would have you believe that 8BitDo makes the best controllers in history somehow. Not sure how the hell that happens when the damn things don't even connect to the system/receiver 80% of the time, but sure enough

I've been saying for years that 8BitDo's dpads are horrendous.  Although I have never had an issue with the receivers and connectivity.   I've praised the receivers as great if you like to use PS4 controllers for most things, which... I do.  

The M30 is the first controller I liked from them, and I actually prefer it over Krikzz' controller because it is just a little more comfortable fit in my hands.  It is the only controller i use for genesis now, and I use the bluetooth one on MiSTer.

I grabbed the new 2.4ghz NES and SNES style controllers.  In initial testing the dpads on mine seemed fine, but I haven't spent a ton of time with either of them yet.

5 minutes ago, ErebusMaligan said:

I've been saying for years that 8BitDo's dpads are horrendous.  Although I have never had an issue with the receivers and connectivity.   I've praised the receivers as great if you like to use PS4 controllers for most things, which... I do.  

The M30 is the first controller I liked from them, and I actually prefer it over Krikzz' controller because it is just a little more comfortable fit in my hands.  It is the only controller i use for genesis now, and I use the bluetooth one on MiSTer.

I grabbed the new 2.4ghz NES and SNES style controllers.  In initial testing the dpads on mine seemed fine, but I haven't spent a ton of time with either of them yet.

Yeah, 8BitDo makes the worst d-pads I've ever seen aside from the M30 2.4g. Still no idea what happened with that one, but I'm not complaining!

It's good to see that they may have figured out how Nintendo d-pads are supposed to work, but they don't deserve any more of my money at this point. I will absolutely be using the new N30 2.4g that comes with the Nt mini (mainly because I have nothing else to use with that system), though, and I will gladly get a second one if I feel that they have managed to actually make a good product.

I thought about getting the new SF/SN30 2.4g since I heard it was better, but my Super Nt gets used like once every 2~3 months and my SFC controller cables are more than long enough, so there really is no point in spending money to fix a problem that I don't have.

The RetroUSB wireless NES pad is quite nice, though the clicky buttons/dpad take a bit of getting used to.  Once you do, though, it's a great pad, very accurate and lag is imperceptible to this very lag-sensitive guy. It also works fine with the AV Famicom, which the 8bitdo bluetooth receiver does not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newtmonkey said:

The RetroUSB wireless NES pad is quite nice, though the clicky buttons/dpad take a bit of getting used to.  Once you do, though, it's a great pad, very accurate and lag is imperceptible to this very lag-sensitive guy. It also works fine with the AV Famicom, which the 8bitdo bluetooth receiver does not.

I forgot about that controller! It's very expensive at $65, but apparently the best Tetris players in the world say it's extremely good.

$74 with the cheapest shipping included (most expensive option is $132!!!) is a bit too much for me for this, though, when apparently the 8BitDo is very good. Maybe I'll try it with the cheapest shipping option if I hate the 8BitDo after I try it.

• Like 1