1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Thank you, I'm more than happy to be corrected when I've put down something that's factually wrong. What I don't quite understand is why Nintendo would go through the trouble to add an iNES (or another other) header to raw dumps, instead of just using a check-sum, which, iirc, is what the likes of RetroArch uses to identify particular roms (like for matching a thumbnail to a game.) It just strikes me as odd, which is likely what makes it easy to believe they just used readily available ROM sets (e.g., the No-Intro set from archive.org) even if that that could easily not be the case.

The checksum includes the header.

The reason for the header is because the file alone does not specify where the PRG ROM ("Program") ends and where the CHR ROM ("Character" AKA graphics) begins, or whether or not there even is a CHR ROM (some games use blank CHR RAM). Then there are things like SRAM, battery-backed SRAM, SRAM capacity, CHR RAM capacity, memory mapper routine, mirroring configuration, etc... none of which is stored in the raw ROM dumps. The emulator has to know most of these details to even boot the ROM. If we strip all that out of the header and put it in a database that is matched/divined by checksum, all we've really accomplished is crippling our emulator so that it won't work with new or edited ROMs.

That's the same reason a RetroN5 or RetroFreak will not work with most homebrew games: it has to know some of that info about a cartridge to even properly dump/read it. It can see enough of each game without knowing the mappers and such to distinguish/recognize them but it then has to use that to check a database for the rest of the header data. New/homebrew games and ROM hacks simply aren't in that database.

The VC featured many ROM edits, translations, newer censorship changes, etc. RetroArch obviously doesn't need to know all that to match a file to a banner/thumbnail, so it's perfectly fine to look those up by CRC. The actual NES emulator within RetroArch still needs the iNES header info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 11:52 PM, blzmarcel said:

I would argue when they bring it back a decade-plus after it was fully superseded is more of a novelty at that point. The main product (Switch, XB1, PS4) is what they're really selling. Things like the "Virtual Console", XBL Arcade, etc, and even the likes of the "NES Classic Edition" are largely emulators, rather than a reproduction of the original hardware. The VC was even found to be using NES roms that could be found on most rom sites over the years, completely with the extra iNES header which was a dead giveaway. So while it might matter to a degree, it's not the same as when the system was in it's prime.

Hmm... incorrect on quite a few fronts.  Novelty or not, it's Nintendo's intellectual property and they have full rights to take people to court if they feel they are in violation, even if they (Nintendo) themselves use emulation techniques to produce their own content (such as NES Classic) as well. 

The VC actually did not use NES ROMs that was found on the internet, they dumped their own ROMs over the years.  This was confirmed VERY recently with the Gigaleaks -- the NES lotcheck and the FDS master lotcheck both contained the full ROM sets that employees had dumped for their own use.  We can take this one step further for confirmation -- since the FDS files came from master disks, not only are they the cleanest ROM dumps to be found (both the Smokemoster pack as well as the NoIntro/GoodNES sets have bad dumps), the set also contained 6 games that had never been released (or known) to the general public.  They also had to reconstruct the Zelda FDS master disk from ROM chips due to the original master disk failing. 

Finally, they created a conversion tool that would convert .QD files (their proprietary disk format which is self checking and has CRCs values of each file on the disk) into the more common .FDS files (CRC values must be generated as they don't exist on this format)  for their work.  Essentially this means that the .QD files *should* be the standard for the Famicom Disk System ROMs, being the format that Nintendo themselves created that self checks for accuracy.  If it matters, the Nintendo master disks actually have CRC values written onto the labels themselves prior to the .QD format creation.  Sorry to go so deep into Famicom Disk System territory like this, but right now it's the single best example of Nintendo dumping their own software and media and not going on the internet for it.

The reason why people assume that Nintendo downloads files online is due to a somewhat storied history of their employees using emulators such as VirtuaNES & iNES in their own development work, which is totally fine.  As CZRoe said, by they time they started on work like this, emulator standards existed, so no need to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by Sho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, what are the chances that Analogue partners with Capcom for this one to bundle Daimakaimura and/or 1941 Counter Attack with the Duo? Capcom has partnered with niche producers for Ducktales, Street Fighter II, and Megaml Man reproductions so it does seem that they might be receptive if Analogue comes knocking. I already have two copies of SuperGrafx Diamakaimura (long story) but an expensive SuperGrafx game like 1941 Counter Attack would totally sell it!

3 hours ago, CZroe said:

So, what are the chances that Analogue partners with Capcom for this one to bundle Daimakaimura and/or 1941 Counter Attack with the Duo? Capcom has partnered with niche producers for Ducktales, Street Fighter II, and Megaml Man reproductions so it does seem that they might be receptive if Analogue comes knocking. I already have two copies of SuperGrafx Diamakaimura (long story) but an expensive SuperGrafx game like 1941 Counter Attack would totally sell it!

lol that would be... yeah. I would feel... not entirely ripped off at that point, but...

I don't know how many people know that 1941 Counter Attack exists or how awesome or expensive it is, but I imagine a built-in Dracula X or US version of Magical Chase might be good. How many consoles are there that come with built-in games that are worth $10,000+? They do have this image

card-cd.9805e13cb3b64dcbe5edb2a8124a7f78

on the website, though, so I imagine no built-in Dracula X, but there's nothing preventing you from playing Ultracore on the Mega Sg or the Turrican games on the Super Nt from their regular carts. 1941 Counter Attack is something that I think might be a bit obscure, but it is a chance to fix the fact that it wasn't included on the PC Engine mini even though there are other Capcom games on there. Why they had crap like The Kung Fu when they could have had 1941 Counter Attack is beyond my comprehension unless Konami couldn't afford to pay Capcom for it.

At what point between announcement of the existences of the Mega Sg and Super Nt did they announce the inclusion of the Turrican games and Ultracore? I never got the box for Turrican, now that I think about it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
grammar and stuff

Hopefully after they ship the NOIR they will re-open preorders for the Pocket and Duo. I got my MODE this year and it is fantastic. Analogue products are becoming so anticipated , they are near mythical, like Seinfeld's joke about doctors. I'm paraphrasing but basically "my doctor is so good, you can't even make an appointment to see him".  No slant at Analogue. I tease as they do /...with their products.

Edited by seastalker
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, seastalker said:

Hopefully after they ship the NOIR they will re-open preorders for the Pocket and Duo. I got my MODE this year and it is fantastic. Analogue products are becoming so anticipated , they are near mythical, like Seinfeld's joke about doctors. I'm paraphrasing but basically "my doctor is so good, you can't even make an appointment to see him".  No slant at Analogue. I tease as they do /...with their products.

Odd to throw that in as it's made by a rival company...

On 11/7/2020 at 8:28 AM, XtraSmiley said:

Respectfully, how are they 'rival' companies? Terraonion makes a NEC device and Sega CD Genesis/32x device that only works with original hardware (examples only- not limiting their product selection). Are they not co-existing companies selling slightly more than tenuously related products?  My only reference was that Terraonion likely isn't that much larger if indeed at all than Analogue yet they got the goods made and sent. Analogue's product availability seems to be in much more red tape- I don't claim inside information and am just wondering why some products are able to complete a project to fruition while others are in overseas production hell for a while. Analogue is trying to make a Noir, a Pocket and also say there is a NEC clone coming. I'm not slamming analogue- just wondering how some companies get products made and others get delayed.

3 hours ago, seastalker said:

Respectfully, how are they 'rival' companies? Terraonion makes a NEC device and Sega CD Genesis/32x device that only works with original hardware (examples only- not limiting their product selection). Are they not co-existing companies selling slightly more than tenuously related products?  My only reference was that Terraonion likely isn't that much larger if indeed at all than Analogue yet they got the goods made and sent. Analogue's product availability seems to be in much more red tape- I don't claim inside information and am just wondering why some products are able to complete a project to fruition while others are in overseas production hell for a while. Analogue is trying to make a Noir, a Pocket and also say there is a NEC clone coming. I'm not slamming analogue- just wondering how some companies get products made and others get delayed.

I meant your post sounded like all good points about Analogue, but you put TO MODE in the second line.

I think I see you meant that TO is able to get products out, so why can't Analogue. I think I misread your intent.

They are rival companies because I believe on Twitter they have attacked each other. I agree with you though, they are both good at what they make, but terrible at social media. Or maybe I'm looking at it all wrong, and they are great at both!

On 11/9/2020 at 9:34 AM, Kaide said:

And looks like it’s gone already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, please disregard my previous post, as it seems I was confused. They have that preorder button on the system's page that you can click on, but I forgot that it takes you to the separate store page, which is the place where it actually lets you buy stuff... or doesnt allow you to buy stuff, in this case.

12 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yes, please disregard my previous post, as it seems I was confused. They have that preorder button on the system's page that you can click on, but I forgot that it takes you to the separate store page, which is the place where it actually lets you buy stuff... or doesnt allow you to buy stuff, in this case.

haha I saw that too lol.  It's just a order page.  tough luck for those that got excited ?

lol that would be... yeah. I would feel... not entirely ripped off at that point, but...

I don't know how many people know that 1941 Counter Attack exists or how awesome or expensive it is, but I imagine a built-in Dracula X or US version of Magical Chase might be good. How many consoles are there that come with built-in games that are worth $10,000+? They do have this image

card-cd.9805e13cb3b64dcbe5edb2a8124a7f78.png?auto=format&w=2000&s=b4e62f8948340528e353b2b7822e63ec

on the website, though, so I imagine no built-in Dracula X, but there's nothing preventing you from playing Ultracore on the Mega Sg or the Turrican games on the Super Nt from their regular carts. 1941 Counter Attack is something that I think might be a bit obscure, but it is a chance to fix the fact that it wasn't included on the PC Engine mini even though there are other Capcom games on there. Why they had crap like The Kung Fu when they could have had 1941 Counter Attack is beyond my comprehension unless Konami couldn't afford to pay Capcom for it.

At what point between announcement of the existences of the Mega Sg and Super Nt did they announce the inclusion of the Turrican games and Ultracore? I never got the box for Turrican, now that I think about it.

Yeah, that would suck since you just bought it. Personally, I would much rather they re-released it in HuCard format and bundle that, since it would give me a chance to more-affordably buy it for my original SGX, but even that might depress your investment. Since Capcom has definitely shown interest in re-releasing games in their original format, like Mega Man 2 and Street Fighter II from Iam8bit, it could conceivably go either way... either spiking the value or depressing it. Of course, we have no indication that Analogue is talking to Capcom at all, so it's just a thought experiment and chances are that the game is going to skyrocket. :)

If Analogue doesn't do it, maybe Iam8bit will eventually re-release it. I guess that could have a similar effect on prices like the RetroBit re-release of Irem's Metal Storm (I had just bought mine when they announced that).

Analogue doesn't make ODEs, flash carts, or clone Sega CD/Mega CD so I'm not sure how they rival each other. They are both FPGA developers, but I don't think either is stepping on the other's toes... yet.

8 hours ago, CZroe said:
On 11/7/2020 at 7:28 AM, XtraSmiley said:

Analogue doesn't make ODEs, flash carts, or clone Sega CD/Mega CD so I'm not sure how they rival each other. They are both FPGA developers, but I don't think either is stepping on the other's toes... yet.

They had a public spat on Twitter, rival as in throwing shade at one another. Although it's been a year or two and as such I'm forgetting the details, it could have been one way...

Edited by XtraSmiley
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, CZroe said:

Capcom doesn't own any PC Engine games. Hudson published 1941 CA and NEC published Daimakaimura (even though Hudson made it).

Konami isn't likely to license out their Hudson games, so Analogue's best bet would probably be talking to Vic Ireland to get a Telenet family title from Sunsoft.

Capcom doesn't own any PC Engine games. Hudson published 1941 CA and NEC published Daimakaimura (even though Hudson made it).

Konami isn't likely to license out their Hudson games, so Analogue's best bet would probably be talking to Vic Ireland to get a Telenet family title from Sunsoft.

I see. Capcom may own the games but NEC/Hudson/Konami own the PC Engine versions. Wonder if Capcom ever considered purchasing 1941 Counter Attack back for another IAm8Bit re-release, since it could be a lot more profitable than their Mega Man 2 and Street Fighter II re-releases.

Interesting. No email yet for me. I still don't have any games yet except Fire Emblem. Maybe I should go buy something. Super Mario Bros. or Akumajou Densetsu or the FDS and Metroid or whatever. I'm still not entirely sure what I should get since I've never played the FC/NES before aside from various emulated versions of Super Mario Bros. and Metroid and stuff, but I'll figure something out. Apparently people like the FC/NES for some reason, so it will be interesting to find out why.