2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, schnuth said:

I’d just get an Everdrive or wait for the inevitable jailbreak.

There are several games that I need to have real copies of. Akumajou Dracula, Dracula 2, Akumajou Densetsu, Metroid, Megami Tensei II, both Fire Emblem games... and that's about it that I can think of. Half of those are FDS games, though, and there's no way in hell I can justify paying 40000 yen for a CIB copy of the cart version of Akumajou Dracula, especially when the FDS version is like 3000 yen or so plus another ~4000 yen for the FDS. Even cart-only, the game costs like 10000 yen or more. Other than that, I am planning on just running stuff from the SD if possible or maybe from the FDSStick, but I have not decided how to do FDS yet. There are plenty of cheap Famicom games, though, and they are pretty much everywhere, even if it's only the cart. Super Mario Bros., etc. can be had for literal pocket change, depending on the store and stuff.

In any case, no shipping notification still. I waited for about 8~12 hours or something like that before I bought it, so maybe they are shipping them in the order purchased and there were a lot of people that ordered before I did or something.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Interesting. No email yet for me. I still don't have any games yet except Fire Emblem. Maybe I should go buy something. Super Mario Bros. or Akumajou Densetsu or the FDS and Metroid or whatever. I'm still not entirely sure what I should get since I've never played the FC/NES before aside from various emulated versions of Super Mario Bros. and Metroid and stuff, but I'll figure something out. Apparently people like the FC/NES for some reason, so it will be interesting to find out why.

I enjoy the NES for nostalgia reasons.  I was gifted a NES as a child for a Xmas present, still have it to this day, including R.O.B etc..,. I have a handful of games which I replay once every so often.  I enjoy it, but for me it's because it brings back fond memories.  Kind of wish I pulled the trigger on the Noir, just couldn't spend out that much at the time, kicking myself now, I hope they release a scaled back version, as per the SG and Super NT.

46 minutes ago, Bod2019 said:

I enjoy the NES for nostalgia reasons.  I was gifted a NES as a child for a Xmas present, still have it to this day, including R.O.B etc..,. I have a handful of games which I replay once every so often.  I enjoy it, but for me it's because it brings back fond memories.  Kind of wish I pulled the trigger on the Noir, just couldn't spend out that much at the time, kicking myself now, I hope they release a scaled back version, as per the SG and Super NT.

Interesting...

I actually passed on a CIB Famicom Robot at the beginning of this year for like 8000 yen or something like that. This was before this new Nt mini was announced. Box was kind of beat up, but it would have been nice. Should have bought that... I have seen a few other Robots, though, including recently, and I am pretty sure that the Robot is way cheaper than R.O.B. is and I know that the Nt mini is compatible with it and I do have a CRT, so I might grab one. I think finding the blocks and stuff might be difficult and I've heard that both of the Robot/R.O.B. games are not the best, but I'd like to try them at least once.

I'll have to look around and see what games I can find, though. The FC and NES are slightly before my time and I've never really been super into Nintendo's IPs except for Metroid, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, so it will be an interesting experience. I'll probably be going to Akiba on the 25th anyway since I want to buy an XE-1AP, so I might give myself a budget of about 10000 yen for Famicom games on top of the cost of the XE-1AP and just buy a bunch of cheap games... or Akumajou Densetsu. The only CIB copy I have found in the past 6 months or so is kind of nasty looking, but it's better than nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Analogue decides to make a cheaper version of the Nt mini, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Interesting...

I actually passed on a CIB Famicom Robot at the beginning of this year for like 8000 yen or something like that. This was before this new Nt mini was announced. Box was kind of beat up, but it would have been nice. Should have bought that... I have seen a few other Robots, though, including recently, and I am pretty sure that the Robot is way cheaper than R.O.B. is and I know that the Nt mini is compatible with it and I do have a CRT, so I might grab one. I think finding the blocks and stuff might be difficult and I've heard that both of the Robot/R.O.B. games are not the best, but I'd like to try them at least once.

I'll have to look around and see what games I can find, though. The FC and NES are slightly before my time and I've never really been super into Nintendo's IPs except for Metroid, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, so it will be an interesting experience. I'll probably be going to Akiba on the 25th anyway since I want to buy an XE-1AP, so I might give myself a budget of about 10000 yen for Famicom games on top of the cost of the XE-1AP and just buy a bunch of cheap games... or Akumajou Densetsu. The only CIB copy I have found in the past 6 months or so is kind of nasty looking, but it's better than nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Analogue decides to make a cheaper version of the Nt mini, though.

I'm very jealous of your location, must be pretty cool to just pop along to local stores and browse, I miss those days.  It's my 40th next year, I'm trying to convince my wife we should visit Japan, if it weren't for Covid there might have been a slim chance.

My R.O.B setup only has gyromite, still have the gyros and spinner, just lost one of R.O.Bs hands at some point.  Never tried Stack Up, I would like to, and might try and pick this up now I have a CRT again along with some light gun games.  Gyromite is a simple Puzzle game, pretty slow going when using R.O.B, it is entirely novelty factor and when you read the history behind the business case for producing R.O.B it all makes perfect sense.

I'm very jealous of your location, must be pretty cool to just pop along to local stores and browse, I miss those days.  It's my 40th next year, I'm trying to convince my wife we should visit Japan, if it weren't for Covid there might have been a slim chance.

My R.O.B setup only has gyromite, still have the gyros and spinner, just lost one of R.O.Bs hands at some point.  Never tried Stack Up, I would like to, and might try and pick this up now I have a CRT again along with some light gun games.  Gyromite is a simple Puzzle game, pretty slow going when using R.O.B, it is entirely novelty factor and when you read the history behind the business case for producing R.O.B it all makes perfect sense.
Love the music in Gyromite!

I had a loose ROB with no hands and was going to 3D print all the parts I needed when I ended up finding a NES Deluxe Set and literally traded up. Mybold ROB came from a thrift store and I bought it almost like a trophy but the vendor who sold me the Deluxe Set found another buyer who wanted said trophy the same day. :)

I got Stack Up in a trade deal but it's literally the Japanese board inside with a 60-72 pin adapter... every copy of Stack-Up is like that so it's the only NES game I'm aware of that is guaranteed to have the adapter inside. As a result, you can get any old game that has the adapter and get the Japanese version of Stack-Up if you want to make your own that's every bit as legit except for the label. Mine is a legit cart/label but I do have a replica box since the original box never would have fit in my shelf anyway and probably would've cost twice as much as the game!

IIRC, Steel Collectables in Kennesaw, Georgia has two boxed copies on display but won't sell either one (DRAT!). Some kind of inside joke between the proprietor and a friend/acquaintance. :)

Check out Gimmick! if you can find a copy for a good price. It goes for around $400 in the US. Duck Tales and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers are great games that you probably wouldn't guess so.

The same trade that netted me Stack-Up also netted me a Timewalk Mr. Gimmick. Can't recall if mine has the enhanced audio or not. :(

2 hours ago, CZroe said:

The same trade that netted me Stack-Up also netted me a Timewalk Mr. Gimmick. Can't recall if mine has the enhanced audio or not. :(

Looks like it does based on an unboxing youtube video. Your NES has to be modified for it to work though. I would guess a NT would work out of the box. 

image.thumb.png.b66a9b2491696591fb3809bb8af26673.png

There is also a repro of an unreleased NTSC version of the game that has full sound without needing a mod. https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=105

I have the JP cart that I bought a while back so it wasn't as expensive.

• Like 1

Looks like it does based on an unboxing youtube video. Your NES has to be modified for it to work though. I would guess a NT would work out of the box. 

image.thumb.png.b66a9b2491696591fb3809bb8af26673.png

There is also a repro of an unreleased NTSC version of the game that has full sound without needing a mod. https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=105

I have the JP cart that I bought a while back so it wasn't as expensive.

Thanks, but I mean that there are two different Timewalk editions, IIRC, and I can't recall which edition mine is since I usually just play off the Everdrive N8 anyway. :)

Yes, the Nt and Nt Mini as well as the Hi-Def NES can all do it without modification since they replicate the special sound chips in FPGA for digital audio. Also, Nt and Nt Mini have an ADC for digitizing real cartridge audio if you have some weird cartridge that it doesn't replicate... like those Famicom albums where the creator/artist could essentially put MP3 players in the cartridge if they wanted to.

My understanding about the different versions of Gimmick!/Mr. Gimmick is that we started out with both Japanese expansion sound audio and PAL audio that Sunsoft recomposed without expansion audio... just like Konami recomposed Castlevania III for the US release (doesn't use expansion audio at all outside Japan). Some NTSC-U fan translations use recomposed audio based on the PAL version but others substitute the Japanese expansion audio. Not sure of there are other versions, like PAL audio adjusted for 60hz for improved pitch.

12 hours ago, Bod2019 said:

For the most part the prices are slightly inflated in Tokyo because of all of the foreign tourists who want games. Even then, a lot of the common games are still reasonably cheap, and if you get lucky you can end up like that dude who bought Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire in Book-Off about a year ago for 500 yen.

11 hours ago, narshe said:

Check out Gimmick! if you can find a copy for a good price. It goes for around $400 in the US. Duck Tales and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers are great games that you probably wouldn't guess so.

There are a few copies of Gimmick! around town. I forget the prices. I think one of them might be cart-only, but I typically pass over the entire Famicom sections in stores without paying much attention since I don't have any hardware to play Famicom games.

I still did not get a shipping notification. I think they are shipping these out in some sort of order or something. Maybe. Or not. Maybe they are shipping international orders later. Only the people who work at Analogue know~

19 hours ago, jamon1567 said:

Buddy of mine got his already. Sent me a pic and it's more like gunmetal grey than black. I'll withhold judgement until I get mine, but I'm ready to be very disappointed.

I thought it was known it would be more like that than the original black?  It says anodized with a gunmetal finish on the website.  Either way, I'm jealous. I don't even have a shipping notice yet. 

Edited by Toth

4 hours ago, Toth said:

I thought it was known it would be more like that than the original black?  It says anodized with a gunmetal finish on the website.  Either way, I'm jealous. I don't even have a shipping notice yet. 

I have a black one and it looks blacker than the pics I've seen. That is what I would have expected, but we'll see when it gets here I guess.

20 hours ago, RetrogamerX said:

I'm in the UK and have no email yet?

Makes me wonder if they are actually shipping USA orders first and then international orders. Is there anyone here who is outside the USA and has a shipping notice/the system or knows someone who lives outside the USA and has a shipping notice/the system?

Got this message from analogue this morning

We have started shipping the orders for Nt Mini Noir. Please note that orders are shipped in batches. Once your order is shipped, you will receive a notification email with tracking details. 

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360051285492-Nt-mini-Noir-shipping-mid-end-of-November-2020-10-29-20

Thank you and Be Safe!

Best Regards,
Analogue Support
www.analogue.co

Some have it some like me haven't even received a email yet?

4 hours ago, RetrogamerX said:

Got this message from analogue this morning

Some have it some like me haven't even received a email yet?

Yeah, I haven't received the email you are showing nor have I received a shipping email.  If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know they've started shipping.

3 hours ago, RetrogamerX said:

Awesome.  Genesis core ?

On that site it is showing downloads for Noir jailbreak, as well as the Super NT, & Mega SG.

Since there isn't a link for non-Noir Mini, can we assume this new jailbreak works on the previous model?  Anyone care to test?

Wow, I'm bummed I had to be financially responsible during the world nonsense - I cancelled my pre-order but now am ok to buy one, but they aren't available anymore. The jailbreak github features seem to include SMS, SG-1000, and Gamegear cores so with the already expected included Coleco core, the NT mini noir is now also a MegaSG clone, but not as easy to use genesis controllers without some adapter. Plus you get a built in DAC. They may as well throw in the SNES core since they aren't selling it anymore. This is getting very close to the Zimba 3000 original vision. 

I really hope the Mega-SG gets some of the obscure cores, especially having DB9 ports. I would buy a $200-ish version of an NT-mini-noir, especially if it included additional DB9 ports or custom adapters to the NES ports.