2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, jamon1567 said:

Buddy of mine got his already. Sent me a pic and it's more like gunmetal grey than black. I'll withhold judgement until I get mine, but I'm ready to be very disappointed.

Got mine just now!   Yeah, it's definitely more "gunmetal gray" than "black."   I'm not disappointed at all, it still looks amazing, but yep... gray.   Hope yours doesn't disappoint.

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Got mine just now!   Yeah, it's definitely more "gunmetal gray" than "black."   I'm not disappointed at all, it still looks amazing, but yep... gray.   Hope yours doesn't disappoint.

When I placed my pre-order, my understanding was that the “gunmetal finish” they advertised was going to be “gunmetal gray”. Was that not the understanding others had? Maybe “Noir” was a bad pick for naming?

2 hours ago, hyrulebr said:

Any idea how to use a genesis 3 or 6 buttons controller on nt mini noir? 

You can use an 8bitdo M30 2.4G controller with the Nt Mini or Nt Mini Noir.  You have to pair the controller to an N30 2.4g wireless adapter or (with a SNES to NES adapter) an SN30 2.4g wireless adapter.  The N30 2.4g wireless adapter only sends the output of 8 buttons to the system, so you are limited to Genesis 3 button controller functionality.  (The D-pad is 4 buttons) The SN30 2.4g wireless adapter sends the outputs of 12 buttons, so it covers Genesis 6 button functionality.  The button mapping may not be ideal.

Edited by Great Hierophant

You can use an 8bitdo M30 2.4G controller with the Nt Mini or Nt Mini Noir.  You have to pair the controller to an N30 2.4g wireless adapter or (with a SNES to NES adapter) an SN30 2.4g wireless adapter.  The N30 2.4g wireless adapter only sends the output of 8 buttons to the system, so you are limited to Genesis 3 button controller functionality.  (The D-pad is 4 buttons) The SN30 2.4g wireless adapter sends the outputs of 12 buttons, so it covers Genesis 6 button functionality.  The button mapping may not be ideal.
The 8BitDo RetroReceivers support the extra buttons when paired with their SNES Bluetooth controllers for use with stuff like Hyperkin RetroN5, since the NES controller ports are electrically wired to the SNES ports. Basically, the NES and SNES Retro Receivers run the same firmware after an update from a couple years ago.

Perhaps the BT version of the M30 will work for 6bt Genesis games.

4 hours ago, zwooky said:

On that site it is showing downloads for Noir jailbreak, as well as the Super NT, & Mega SG.

Since there isn't a link for non-Noir Mini, can we assume this new jailbreak works on the previous model?  Anyone care to test?

No. The OG Nt Mini JB was released through this thread. The new one is only compatible with the Noir.

3 hours ago, XtraSmiley said:

Can someone tell me if the prior NT mini had a problem plugging in the 3D glasses and if the Noir fixes the problem (if it existed).

I remember something having a power plug too close and I think it was the shutter glasses, but maybe it was the FDS system.

A Famicom controller extender (or easy to find neo geo) will solve the problem to both V1 and V2 Analogue NT mini.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaide said:

When I placed my pre-order, my understanding was that the “gunmetal finish” they advertised was going to be “gunmetal gray”. Was that not the understanding others had? Maybe “Noir” was a bad pick for naming?

I mean, definitely a bad pick for the name. 

Does anyone else feel a little bit miffed that NT Mini Noir users already got a massive jailbreak with a lot of extra/unrelated cores, including a Genesis core?  It doesn't really matter to me as I have a retroarch setup and a mister so I'm not short of options for playing most of these games, but the powers that be don't seem to think all of Analogue's customers are created equal.  I've never bothered jailbreaking my Super NT as I already have a flashcart.  I will give them a little credit with the Mega SG as the Colecovision core is a true bonus.

I know all of this stuff isn't official or supported or acknowledged by Analogue, but we're not stupid and anyone who only ever bought a Super NT might be justifiably frustrated.  

Edited by zetastrike

Does anyone else feel a little bit miffed that NT Mini Noir uses already got a massive jailbreak with a lot of extra/unrelated cores, including a Genesis core?  It doesn't really matter to me as I have a retroarch setup and a mister so I'm not short of options for playing most of these games, but the powers that be don't seem to think all of Analogue's customers are created equal.  I've never bothered jailbreaking my Super NT as I already have a flashcart.  I will give them a little credit with the Mega SG as the Colecovision core is a true bonus.

I know all of this stuff isn't official or supported or acknowledged by Analogue, but we're not stupid and anyone who only ever bought a Super NT might be justifiably frustrated.  
The Nt Mini jailbreak was official, from Kevtris, so it was the only one that ever promised multiple consoles until the Nt Mini Noir when Kevtris confirmed that it would work with the original jailbreak. At first we were told it would be the same except for an updated cartridge slot and color. Expectations were set.

It seems plans changed since they ended up completely redoing the Noir... no doubt, incorporating some of the work that is going into Analogue 8 along with a more powerful FPGA. That meant it was not going to work with the old jailbreak and that the FPGA could now do things like interpolation... and Genesis. I never expected Super Nt or Mega Sg to become multi-consoles beyond the obvious (Master System, Game Gear, and Colecovision make sense considering the base hardware of a Genesis).

Just seems weird to me for anyone to expect Super Nt, Mega Sg, etc to get all the other cores in a Jailbreak when we know that's the domain of the Nt Mini line. Analogue 8 sure sounds like it wants to be a multi-consoles for 8-bit systems but maybe they are planning for it to replicate microcomputers and have a built-in keyboard or something... who knows... but it sounds like a multi-consoles too with a vague name like that.

Is the Analogue 8 still a thing? After the Duo's announcement, I thought it was just a passing trademark that fell in the proverbial crack. Did Kevtris or someone else at Analogue confirm that the Analogue 8 and the Analogue Duo are not one and the same?

Also, I feel a bit cheated myself, having bought an "original" Nt Mini at full price and now the Noir in seeing cores that were not (and probably cannot) be released on the original. As far as actual gaming goes, I don't mind it too much, I'm okay with the jailbreak stuff I have now on my Nt Mini, but the value of the "old" Mini is obviously going to go down in value. If I ever decide to part with my Nt Mini, I'll be lucky if I sell it at half the price I payed for it.

14 minutes ago, CZroe said:

The Nt Mini jailbreak was official, from Kevtris, so it was the only one that ever promised multiple consoles until the Nt Mini Noir when Kevtris confirmed that it would work with the original jailbreak. At first we were told it would be the same except for an updated cartridge slot and color. Expectations were set.

It seems plans changed since they ended up completely redoing the Noir... no doubt, incorporating some of the work that is going into Analogue 8 along with a more powerful FPGA. That meant it was not going to work with the old jailbreak and that the FPGA could now do things like interpolation... and Genesis. I never expected Super Nt or Mega Sg to become multi-consoles beyond the obvious (Master System, Game Gear, and Colecovision make sense considering the base hardware of a Genesis).

Just seems weird to me for anyone to expect Super Nt, Mega Sg, etc to get all the other cores in a Jailbreak when we know that's the domain of the Nt Mini line. Analogue 8 sure sounds like it wants to be a multi-consoles for 8-bit systems but maybe they are planning for it to replicate microcomputers and have a built-in keyboard or something... who knows... but it sounds like a multi-consoles too with a vague name like that.

The NT Mini is a NES/Famicom system and marketed as such.  It makes no more sense for it to have Atari/Intellivision/Gameboy/Mega Duck/etc than it would for the Super NT or Mega SG.  I think it's a crappy way to keep people on the hook.  They're showing off what they're products can do, but keeping it gated behind a very expensive machine produced in small quantities.  I don't like Analogue or the Mister community for different reasons, but at least with Mister you know where it stands.

The NT Mini is a NES/Famicom system and marketed as such.  It makes no more sense for it to have Atari/Intellivision/Gameboy/Mega Duck/etc than it would for the Super NT or Mega SG.  I think it's a crappy way to keep people on the hook.  They're showing off what they're products can do, but keeping it gated behind a very expensive machine produced in small quantities.  I don't like Analogue or the Mister community for different reasons, but at least with Mister you know where it stands.

Right, except that a jailbreak with support for multiple other consoles was promised before it launched in no uncertain terms and then again when we were told that the Nt Mini Noir was the same and would also work with the jailbreak. That was never even hinted at for anything else. It had nothing to do with how relevant it was to the console name. My only point about Analogue 8 was that the name seems deliberately non-specific so it may be a multi-platform system too. Not saying that was the case for Nt Mini (Nt = Nintendo; Sg = Sega; 8 = ???).

Is the Analogue 8 still a thing? After the Duo's announcement, I thought it was just a passing trademark that fell in the proverbial crack. Did Kevtris or someone else at Analogue confirm that the Analogue 8 and the Analogue Duo are not one and the same?

Also, I feel a bit cheated myself, having bought an "original" Nt Mini at full price and now the Noir in seeing cores that were not (and probably cannot) be released on the original. As far as actual gaming goes, I don't mind it too much, I'm okay with the jailbreak stuff I have now on my Nt Mini, but the value of the "old" Mini is obviously going to go down in value. If I ever decide to part with my Nt Mini, I'll be lucky if I sell it at half the price I payed for it.

I assume so. Ditching the DAC and the aluminum unibody to serve a broader market still seems like a solid plan. They probably feel it's too soon to announce that before the Noir even shipped so I wasn't expecting anything until another product cycle or two.

They let the Analogue 8 trademark expire earlier this year. Since they never made a formal announcement it’s anyone’s guess.

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/analogue-8-88306846.html

But as others have said, I suspect we’ll see a stripped down NT at some point.

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, even looking at the render, it's clearly gun metal grey. Speaking of that, a lot of the renders on their website, not just for the Nt mini, have terrible lighting.

I wouldn't say it's clearly grey because you can look at other black renders on their site and they look very similar, prob due to the lighting as you say. I guess they get off on a technicality though because they did list it as such, even though probably nobody even noticed. I still haven't gotten mine yet (apparently FedEx came yesterday, even though I was here all day....and then of course they just decided to not even bother coming today), but the pics I've seen do look nice.

14 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

I wouldn't say it's clearly grey because you can look at other black renders on their site and they look very similar, prob due to the lighting as you say. I guess they get off on a technicality though because they did list it as such, even though probably nobody even noticed. I still haven't gotten mine yet (apparently FedEx came yesterday, even though I was here all day....and then of course they just decided to not even bother coming today), but the pics I've seen do look nice.

Yeah, their lighting is not so great. Still, this does look pretty grey to me...

825141080_ntmini.thumb.jpg.644d8b43c1f245783cdc43969bd38f9b.jpg

3 hours ago, CZroe said:

Right, except that a jailbreak with support for multiple other consoles was promised before it launched in no uncertain terms and then again when we were told that the Nt Mini Noir was the same and would also work with the jailbreak. That was never even hinted at for anything else. It had nothing to do with how relevant it was to the console name. My only point about Analogue 8 was that the name seems deliberately non-specific so it may be a multi-platform system too. Not saying that was the case for Nt Mini (Nt = Nintendo; Sg = Sega; 8 = ???).

I haven't been able to reliably play my FDS in YEARS because the Nt Mini can't properly (as shown in the deep recesses of this thread) read the RAM adapter. So, please, tell me more about how I shouldn't expect more updates to my console because there was a surprise re-engineering. And then tell me how the Intellivision WASN'T a long-promised core on the original Nt Mini.

24 minutes ago, GarrettCRW said:

I haven't been able to reliably play my FDS in YEARS because the Nt Mini can't properly (as shown in the deep recesses of this thread) read the RAM adapter.

I have never heard mention of this before, but I have now. Time to do some research, as this is concerning.