2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, GarrettCRW said:

I haven't been able to reliably play my FDS in YEARS because the Nt Mini can't properly (as shown in the deep recesses of this thread) read the RAM adapter. So, please, tell me more about how I shouldn't expect more updates to my console because there was a surprise re-engineering. And then tell me how the Intellivision WASN'T a long-promised core on the original Nt Mini.

Interested in what board revision your RAM Adapter is.  If you can open it up!

Well, it seems that certain RAM adaptor revisions have problems on the old Nt mini. Hopefully this has been fixed on the new one. I was planning on getting the FDSStick and a real FDS just so I can experience actually using it for a few games, but if there's no guarantee that it will work properly, it seems that Everdrives are going on sale for 20% off tomorrow... I've never bought an Everdrive before, but I might now. Well, tomorrow, not now, but you know.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

So I did some more research and I found something interesting that I think I posted here before, but I'll post it again for various reasons. From the Nt mini Noir manual:

"Famicom Disk System Compatibility

The cycle-stealing nature of the Zero Delay mode will likely cause the Famicom Disk System not to work properly with Nt Mini Noir because the Famicom Disk System runs on its own clock and must synchronize it to the Famicom’s internal clock which the designers expected to be identical. The Full and Single Buffer modes present the original clock signal to the cartridge ports but Zero Delay cannot. The result is that some Famicom Disk Systems will not work reliably with the Zero Delay mode. Changing the buffer mode from Zero Delay to Full Buffer or Single Buffer should resolve this issue."

So how does this work with the FDSStick and/or the Everdrive running FDS games? I have no idea how the Everdrive or the FDSStick work, so I'm wondering what buffer mode I should be using in case I do get one of those. Obviously if I buy a real FDS, I should not use Zero Delay, but I'm not sure about the other 2 options.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to reliably play my FDS in YEARS because the Nt Mini can't properly (as shown in the deep recesses of this thread) read the RAM adapter. So, please, tell me more about how I shouldn't expect more updates to my console because there was a surprise re-engineering. And then tell me how the Intellivision WASN'T a long-promised core on the original Nt Mini.

What do either of those things have to do with what I said?

I specifically said Nt Mini users were the only ones who could justify such an expectation for additional cores. It was about why people getting the Nt Mini and Nt Mini Noir could expect more cores than people getting Super Nt and Mega Sg could justifiably expect. Super Nt and Mega Sg users were never promised Intellivision or anything else extra. The fact that you were promised Intellivision, whether you got it or not, serves my point, since they never even hinted at such a thing for Super Nt and Mega Sg. Only Nt Mini customers can justify that expectation.

I also have an NT Mini.  And I have a number of RAM Adapters that work just fine with it.  And now I have a Noir, and it also works just fine with the same RAM Adapters.  If that guy has the first revision of the RAM adapter (or one with an early BIOS) it would be interesting to see.

6 hours ago, CZroe said:

I specifically said Nt Mini users were the only ones who could justify such an expectation for additional cores. It was about why people getting the Nt Mini and Nt Mini Noir could expect more cores than people getting Super Nt and Mega Sg could justifiably expect. Super Nt and Mega Sg users were never promised Intellivision or anything else extra. The fact that you were promised Intellivision, whether you got it or not, serves my point, since they never even hinted at such a thing for Super Nt and Mega Sg. Only Nt Mini customers can justify that expectation.

I think the issue might be that the Sg and Super Nt are based around 16-bit consoles (vs the Nt being based around an 8-bit console), so many might believe they would be more powerful systems and hence be able to do more, which doesn't feel like an unreasonable general expectation. It certainly came as a surprise to me to find out that the Nt Mini is more capable than it's 16-bit bigger brothers.

Edited by blzmarcel
Gammar

15 hours ago, zetastrike said:

The NT Mini is a NES/Famicom system and marketed as such.  It makes no more sense for it to have Atari/Intellivision/Gameboy/Mega Duck/etc than it would for the Super NT or Mega SG.  I think it's a crappy way to keep people on the hook.  They're showing off what they're products can do, but keeping it gated behind a very expensive machine produced in small quantities.  

Maybe I'm mistaken but I still don't think Analogue fully/officially acknowledges any jailbreak for their consoles, even if it is Kevtris himself doing ones for the NT-Mini/Noire. 

I wonder why SmokeMonster decided to release the Genesis core rather than the Super Nintendo core?  It doesn't really matter to me very much since i like to use the proper system for the games I am playing but I think I would rather have the SNES core be included.  There are even controller adapters that would work in that case so it makes more sense.

Edited by Toth
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NE146 said:

Maybe I'm mistaken but I still don't think Analogue fully/officially acknowledges any jailbreak for their consoles, even if it is Kevtris himself doing ones for the NT-Mini/Noire. 

Your avatar always makes me laugh out loud.  But just now, I saw your signature while taking a drink of coffee and nearly choked.  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toth said:

I wonder why SmokeMonster decided to release the Genesis core rather than the Super Nintendo core?  It doesn't really matter to me very much since i like to use the proper system for the games I am playing but I think I would rather have the SNES core be included.  There are even controller adapters that would work in that case so it makes more sense.

I very much agree. It's weird to go Genesis and not SNES on a Nintendo based system...

2 hours ago, blzmarcel said:

I think the issue might be that the Sg and Super Nt are based around 16-bit consoles (vs the Nt being based around an 8-bit console), so many might believe they would be more powerful systems and hence be able to do more, which doesn't feel like an unreasonable general expectation. It certainly came as a surprise to me to find out that the Nt Mini is more capable than it's 16-bit bigger brothers.

It's not actually any more capable at all. They all run off the same hardware as I understand it. They just decided to give the Noir (and the Mini before it) much more. 

1 hour ago, Toth said:

Smokemonster didn't decide anything. He's the messenger.

...only the Noir and only after the surprise upgrade we weren't told about when it first went on sale. When it first went on sale we were told it was the same as the original Nt Mini except for the color and revised cartridge slot. I believe that was their intention until something changed. We already know that the original couldn't do interpolation like the Super Nt and Mega Sg, so it was definitely less-capable. Even so, I wasn't expecting them to cannibalize their previous products which had not been retired so I didn't expect it to play everything that came before it.

Anybody who already has their new NT:  Does the v2 jailbreak folder layout and bios names happen to exactly mirror the old jailbreak.

Meaning can I just use the old card, with a couple new folders on it?

I'm pretty jazzed and refreshing tracking multiple times a day.  I wonder if that new 8bitdo stick that came in last week works with the receiver.  If not, I have other options, but that would be handy.  Edit: reading back a page, that seems extremely likely.

Edited by Reaperman

Got my gun metal gray noir on Monday.

Enjoying it but found at least one game that gives it trouble. Anyone know if there are special settings I need to use for RetroZone SMB 2J to work right?

It plays almost fine but I get weird intermittent glitching while the screen is scrolling. Like clouds and blocks will repeat for just a frame or two then disappear (I can grab video).

5D428F8F-A17A-4F3A-BB2A-D119EDC8A55D.jpeg

Realistically speaking, where should Analogue go from here?   

What we currently know is that they are working on dual projects, the Pocket and Duo.  They also finally shipped their final run of NT Noirs.     

Kevtris has also stated publicly that Analogue has hired more engineers which in turn will take a huge weight off Kevtris and allow him to make even better use of his resources, we can already see the benefits that brings with the ability to develop many projects concurrently.  

However, we are getting closer and closer to hitting the limits of what they can implement given the FPGA chips they can realistically use.  It seems like PS1 is about the most powerful console they could realistically implement in terms of the overall man power required and the chips available at the budget they are willing to consider.  Besides PS1 what other FPGA consoles do you think they should/would consider developing?  Do you think they should start getting into Classic Computers and Arcades?   Do you think all hardware going forward should have third party support option like the Pocket?

On 11/24/2020 at 5:03 AM, CZroe said:

Perhaps it is splitting hairs perhaps deciding what is 'expected' vs. 'wishing', but were the Sega cores originally promised in the mix of alternate cores? I am happy for NT Mini owners now that they have them. However, if people knew this before, I bet it would have affected MegaSG sales a bit. In my case, nothing is expected of additional cores for the MegaSG, but it would be a nice gesture. If not, a reasonably AVAILABLE product that has us covered on the rarer cores would likely tone down some frustration.  

15 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Realistically speaking, where should Analogue go from here?   

What we currently know is that they are working on dual projects, the Pocket and Duo.  They also finally shipped their final run of NT Noirs.     

Kevtris has also stated publicly that Analogue has hired more engineers which in turn will take a huge weight off Kevtris and allow him to make even better use of his resources, we can already see the benefits that brings with the ability to develop many projects concurrently.  

However, we are getting closer and closer to hitting the limits of what they can implement given the FPGA chips they can realistically use.  It seems like PS1 is about the most powerful console they could realistically implement in terms of the overall man power required and the chips available at the budget they are willing to consider.  Besides PS1 what other FPGA consoles do you think they should/would consider developing?  Do you think they should start getting into Classic Computers and Arcades?   Do you think all hardware going forward should have third party support option like the Pocket?

I think they can back to the roots and make a Neo Geo FPGA (I think it's doable with current FPGA chip Analogue use or a double fpga setup as Pocket). This in 2022. Until there maybe the prices comes down and can be viable to use the same chip as Mister (115k LE if I'm not wrong) and enable Nintendo 64, PS1, etc.

At least an Arcade FPGA defeat their "legal" vision:

Analogue Duo does not play copyrighted ROM files, it plays legacy game cartridges and CDs.

They can put a floppy drive to make a classic computer fpga compatible with originals games but I don't think they will do it. 

But I hope that increasing the engineer dept no only allows they will able to run 2 projects at same time but could also update previous works. Also have stock of their products would be nice. I miss the time when we complaim about the higher shipping costs but there was something to ship to us...

About third party support nothing was said about Duo. My guess it's a Pocket only thing because the pocket is like the Zimba 3000 portable edition. I dont see an updated pocket until Nintendo DS or psp are doable in FPGA.