1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Ah, yeah. That’s foam padding, not a sponge. :)

On one hand, foam padding like that shouldn’t be conductive. However, I’ve never seen it used on top of components and contacts like this before, and would even say it generally shouldn’t be used in this manner. Last thing you want is something getting trapped by the foam and creating a conductive path for a short.

EDIT: I should have read more first. FirebrandX does point out that the foam in the repair is conductive, to ground the board to the chassis. That part would make sense (if not an ideal way to do it). So why was the original site over an IC that likely took Vcc and Ground? Or is it that there was no grounding at all before?

Edited by Kaide

I saw this discussion on discord a couple of days ago, but I had a little trouble following if pad versus no pad was a problem. That second picture hadn't been posted yet though.

So I take it this sponge is to the left of the power button (when facing the top of the console). Someone said they could see this pad just looking through the bottom. I can't tell on mine as the view is pretty obscured there.

Edited by cybercylon
changed sponge to pad

I can see it now if I hold mine at just the right angle.

I hope we can get more light shed on this. Analogue is not the best at communication to put it nicely, so it would be good to know if people can stop being worried or if there are measures that one can easily take if there is a problem. 

Yeah, I'd be fine with them telling me what the "fix" or preventative measure is to avoid the "rare" situation that would lead to apparently something shorting out.  I know they might fix it under warranty but once the warranty has run out it would be nice to just modify it yourself to avoid a potential short.

Edited by Toth

People are having electrical issues with their Noir's? I wonder if this sort of thing could affect cartridges, I posted earlier my issue where Castlevania overheated and melted while I was playing after years of working fine, and still working ever since without issue. I also just had my Startropics 2 saves wiped despite swapping out the batteries for all my NES games a few months ago. And I know I did it right with Startropics 2 because I was fast enough to still preserve the saves with its residual charge. Could this be related?

Edited by Chindabin

Yeah, thanks for all the replies on this.  So, I have the first Noir that was sold, and the second I bought for my son who lives on his own.  We just aren't going to use them until I know what the best option is to do at this point.  

16 hours ago, F34R said:

Yeah, thanks for all the replies on this.  So, I have the first Noir that was sold, and the second I bought for my son who lives on his own.  We just aren't going to use them until I know what the best option is to do at this point.  

I saw some early speculation on Reddit that the included power supply or HDMI cable was possibly the culprit. That was from a guy that had his replaced under warranty twice for the issue. I bought higher quality replacements as a precaution.

15 hours ago, Enragedwhale said:

I saw some early speculation on Reddit that the included power supply or HDMI cable was possibly the culprit. That was from a guy that had his replaced under warranty twice for the issue. I bought higher quality replacements as a precaution.

It's frustrating that I can't find anything official from Analogue on this.

Same thing can happen on real hardware for battery backup games. I learned that way back 25 years ago.

Bumping the cartridge or system when it's running or discovering the cartridge contacts weren't making a satisfactory connection with the pins of the cartridge slot when initially powering the system up, has always posed a risk to game saves.

44 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Same thing can happen on real hardware for battery backup games. I learned that way back 25 years ago.

Bumping the cartridge or system when it's running or discovering the cartridge contacts weren't making a satisfactory connection with the pins of the cartridge slot when initially powering the system up, has always posed a risk to game saves.

Yep.  I think that root issue might be heightened with these systems though, because of the floppy cartridge slot.

9 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Yep.  I think that root issue might be heightened with these systems though, because of the floppy cartridge slot.

It's strange that they updated the connector on the Noir, but wouldn't make the slot smaller to stop the looseness of the cartridge.

They realized the issue, but half-assed the fix.

I saw those posts about the foam versus no foam on discord when that news broke. It was unclear whether it was intentionally left out or if it was left out by accident from the repair. In the absence of any official word, there is a lot of speculation. Some are afraid to play their consoles and other have used them hard without problems.

For any of the games with batteries, the reliability can be suspect at this point if it still has the original battery. I certainly would not wiggle one in an original top loader any more than I would in the NT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 8:04 AM, RetrogamerX said:

Glad I had to wait a couple weeks on initial release, so mine doesn't have the foam :)

I have one of the most recent ones and it has the foam. Are you sure it doesn’t, can be quite hard to spot without taking it apart. 

Also I’m not sure if anybody really knows if the foam is a good idea or not or if it’s related to the shorting issues. FBX has gone back and forth on it.

No shock of mine as yet, I’m using different power supply and HDMI cable but who really knows if that makes a difference. 

On 5/28/2021 at 2:34 PM, Enragedwhale said:

I have one of the most recent ones and it has the foam. Are you sure it doesn’t, can be quite hard to spot without taking it apart. 

Also I’m not sure if anybody really knows if the foam is a good idea or not or if it’s related to the shorting issues. FBX has gone back and forth on it.

No shock of mine as yet, I’m using different power supply and HDMI cable but who really knows if that makes a difference. 

I checked again and I do have it.  I messaged FireBrandX and he said I shouldn't worry.  I think it has something  to do with some old famicom carts with battery's.  I could be wrong, but it's possible.  Mine hasn't shocked me. 

Edited by RetrogamerX
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This thread seems to have calmed down quite a bit--can't say I mind too much.

For the controller issue, back when I got my first-round NT Mini, I noticed it liked to reset itself a lot when I plugged/unplugged controllers while on.  Especially with controllers that needed a bit extra force to press home (like the generic controller I padhacked into a neo geo adapter).  Sensing this wasn't the healthiest for the NT Mini, I got into the habit of inserting controllers before power-on.  I wonder if that's related to the noir quirk. Since I developed that habit, I haven't noticed if the noir does it.  

Anyway, so far my biggest "problem" with the Noir is that the 'Mega Duck' core, isn't called the 'Cougar Boy' core.  Because 'Cougar Boy' is a million times cooler. Amirite?  More seriously, that core is a pretty big win with me, I've always wanted to try one of those, thanks. Intellivision seems a fine addition, but for whatever reason that system isn't 'my jam'--at least not nearly as much as the Cougar Boy is.

Spicy.

WFP5jm1m.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

Has anyone tried dumping Fire Emblem Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken on the Nt mini Noir? I didn't see the game's mapper in the system's list of mappers when I tried to dump the cart. Maybe it's there and I'm just stupid and didn't see it, but I might as well ask. Don't ask me what the mapper is since I have not tried dumping it since last year and I've forgotten what the mapper is since then!