1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I guess that would depend on how they go about it. For an example, if someone isn't interested in the Super NES and just wants it as an NES. It might not be very appealing to have cartridge adapters, NES controller ports, and everything else it would need to make them equivalent permanently plugged into something that looks like a Super NES that is never used as a Super NES. It would be kind of like buying an Atari 5200 just for playing Atari 2600 games.

Anyway, I think it may be a good idea to release a Super Nt like version of the Nt Mini where instead of an aluminum shell it looks like an NES.

They won't do it because other than the controller and cartridge ports the super nt is the exact same product but with a better fpga in it. So investing the money to make a shell for obsolete hardware would be a major loss for them. At best we will see a universal version of the console with the ability to plug controller and cartridge adapters in it and have it look natural but they've given no hints they plan on doing it.

My best guess would be that the nt mini is probably out of production. That bodes well for super nt getting a jailbreak though.

Analogue has always been a company that was focused on creating the ultimate, no compromise product. I would be very surprised if they decided to discontinue their near flawless NES offering in favor of introducing clunky adapters for a different, significantly cheaper product.

It is considerably less clunky than the nt mini as the controller ports should be if anything capable of receiving more data than the nes ones or at the very least certainly not less data. And the fact that it is considerably more powerful yet costs less does not make it "cheap" in any negative meaning and is something to be exalted.

I don't believe even variable-framerate monitors will be able to skew by the those tiny amounts..

Not sure I entirely get what you mean but I know a rgb modded nes into a ossc worked on my current display so I don't see why a native clock speed nes core over native hdmi wouldn't.

• Like 1

It is considerably less clunky than the nt mini as the controller ports should be if anything capable of receiving more data than the nes ones or at the very least certainly not less data. And the fact that it is considerably more powerful yet costs less does not make it "cheap" in any negative meaning and is something to be exalted.

No, having adapters of any kind plugged in would be considered clunky, regardless of what new functionality it would bring.

There's nothing bad about something being inexpensive. But in this case the cheaper version has a lot of compromises. But it's still an elegant, self contained unit that's very attractive. Requiring cart adapters as the official solution going forward is the opposite of that and does not seem likely.

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 1

No, having adapters of any kind plugged in would be considered clunky, regardless of what new functionality it would bring.

There's nothing bad about something being inexpensive. But in this case the cheaper version has a lot of compromises. But it's still an elegant, self contained unit that's very attractive. Requiring cart adapters as the official solution going forward does not seem likely.

The nt mini needs adapters as well to fully make use of any of its supported cores other than the nes core, the only difference is the super nt can have better adapters.

The nt mini needs adapters as well to fully make use of any of its supported cores other than the nes core, the only difference is the super nt can have better adapters.

Wait, you mean the Nt Mini adapters that kevtris designed as a side project because Analogue had no interest in building? The ones that are essentially finished but no one has bothered manufacturing?

Oh yeah, certainly sounds like something Analogue is going to completely change their existing product lines and company philosophy for!

edit: As Schizophretard points out, the cores other than NES were never official. As far as Analogue is concerned the Nt Mini is solely a NES.

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 2

But the NES core is the only official core.

"Official"

air-quotes.gif

Wait, you mean the Nt Mini adapters that kevtris designed as a side project because Analogue had no interest in building? The ones that are essentially finished but no one has bothered manufacturing?

Oh yeah, certainly sounds like something Analogue is going to completely change their existing product lines and company philosophy for!

Implying that Kevtris making adapters was previously against the Analogue product lines and company philosophy based on... what evidence exactly? Afaik he simply got busy with paid work aka the snes core. When they are finished Analogue might even stock them, if not why would it matter where you buy them from as long as they work?

"Official"

air-quotes.gif

Implying that Kevtris making adapters was previously against the Analogue product lines and company philosophy based on... what evidence exactly? Afaik he simply got busy with paid work aka the snes core. When they are finished Analogue might even stock them, if not why would it matter where you buy them from as long as they work?

How about the existing/past Analogue product line and all the interviews with Chris Taber where he talks about the goals of Analogue?

Or the fact that Analogue calls the other cores unofficial?

Or the fact that if Analogue were actually interested in building adapters they would have more tightly controlled the marketing and reveal? (as opposed to having kevtris, who wasn't even a employee at the time, show off homemade prototypes on his youtube channel)

Edited by cacophony

It is official in the sense that it is sold as an NES clone.

That doesn't change anything about what it can do or why people bought it. I seriously doubt more than 5 people bought it just to be a $500 nes clone. I'm equally sure Analogue is aware of this and to not embrace it would be suicidal for their company.

How about the existing/past Analogue product line and all the interviews with Chris Taber where he talks about the goals of Analogue?

Or the fact that Analogue calls the other cores unofficial?

Or the fact that if Analogue were actually interested in building adapters they would have more tightly controlled the marketing and reveal?

What about the interview where when asked about the sd card slot Analogue says they want users to be able to do whatever they want with the console?

Or the fact that Analogue made no move to prevent the cores even though they could have locked the firmware?

And I have no idea what your third point is supposed to mean. Like they loosely controlled the marketing and reveal because they are not interested in building adapters? What does that mean and what is the supposed correlation between those two things? If anything they tightly controlled the reveal because we still don't have a jb confirmed, but I fail to see your correlation between tightly controlled marketing and reveals and adapter releases.

That doesn't change anything about what it can do or why people bought it. I seriously doubt more than 5 people bought it just to be a $500 nes clone.

I did. And they sold hundreds of the Nt Minis before the jailbreak was announced based on the order numbers. This makes sense given that the OG Analogue Nt was selling for upwards of $2000 on eBay at the time. It immediately dropped to the current level pricing after the Nt Mini was announced. There was a lot of pent-up demand.

What about the interview where when asked about the sd card slot Analogue says they want users to be able to do whatever they want with the console?

Or the fact that Analogue made no move to prevent the cores even though they could have locked the firmware?

Sure, part of the company philosophy is to let you do what you want with the product. But that doesn't contradict or invalidate any of my other points.

And I have no idea what your third point is supposed to mean. Like they loosely controlled the marketing and reveal because they are not interested in building adapters? What does that mean and what is the supposed correlation between those two things? If anything they tightly controlled the reveal because we still don't have a jb confirmed, but I fail to see your correlation between tightly controlled marketing and reveals and adapter releases.

Companies that plan to officially build/support a certain product don't typically have their engineer talk about it before an official announcement.

Edited by cacophony

Sure, part of the company philosophy is to let you do what you want with the product. But that doesn't contradict or invalidate any of my other points.

Companies that plan to officially build/support a certain product don't typically have their engineer talk about it before an official announcement.

You only had one other point! And that other point was "they didn't talk about it" because evidently you've never heard of a "leak" which has become weaponized publicity in recent years, or just being transparent which is a strategy a lot of companies use.

You only had one other point! And that other point was "they didn't talk about it" because evidently you've never heard of a "leak" which has become weaponized publicity in recent years, or just being transparent which is a strategy a lot of companies use.

A leak would be an interesting strategy, but Kevtris showing it off on his youtube channel is not a leak. Nor is it the company being transparent.

A leak would be an interesting strategy, but Kevtris showing it off on his youtube channel is not a leak. Nor is it the company being transparent.

You mean like how Kevtris talked about basically everything single other core while he was working on it? Guess none of those will be released either because they "aren't supported by Analogue"... oh wait

You mean like how Kevtris talked about basically everything single other core while he was working on it? Guess none of those will be released either because they "aren't supported by Analogue"... oh wait

They're unofficial (Kevtris released them, not Analogue). Not sure you understand what that means...

Edited by cacophony

They were released. Not sure you understand what that means...

We're arguing about whether something was an unofficial release or an official release and your point is that it was released?

edit: I guess your point is that a release is a release regardless of whether it's official or unofficial. I disagree. There were reasons they did it unofficially, and that provides evidence for their likely products/strategies going forward.

Edited by cacophony

lol, really?

We're arguing about whether something was an unofficial release or an official release and your point is that it was released?

lol, really?

We were never arguing about if they were an official release, we were arguing that you said Analogue would have to "completely change their existing product lines and company philosophy for!" to support adapters that... plug directly into their existing product line with 0 modification and that the same philosophy that allowed the jb cores was somehow deadset against adapters to support controllers for those very same cores! You seem to have somehow managed to confuse Analogue officially releasing something or not with it violating everything about who they are as a company and requiring them to change anything.

Assuming that I am correct about the Nt Mini being obsolete and out of production now that also provides a clear reason why Kevtris didn't bother to release the adapters and decided instead to wait for the Super Nt.

Edited by Wolf_

lol, really?

We were never arguing about if they were an official release, we were arguing that you said Analogue would have to "completely change their existing product lines and company philosophy for!

" to support adapters that... plug directly into their existing product line with 0 modification and that the same philosophy that allowed the jb cores was somehow deadset against adapters to support controllers for those very same cores! You seem to have somehow managed to confuse Analogue officially releasing something or not with it violating everything about who they are as a company and requiring them to change anything.

Assuming that I am correct about the Nt Mini being obsolete and out of production now that also provides a clear reason why Kevtris didn't bother to release the adapters and decided instead to wait for the Super Nt.

I think there was a reason they made the JB firmware unofficial, and that reason can be used to speculate more accurately about company strategy going forward. I also think that the adapters, regardless of whether they eventually get released unofficially or officially, are in some violation of the company philosophy, at least as it has existed up till this point. Edited by cacophony

I think there was a reason they made the JB firmware unofficial, and that reason can be used to speculate more accurately about company strategy going forward. I also think that the adapters, regardless of whether they eventually get released unofficially or officially, are in some violation of the company philosophy, at least as it has existed up till this point.

You can think that all you want but you have absolutely no proof or logical train of thought to back that up, at least not that you've expressed so far. And you certainly can't say that it completely violates their company policy or that they would have to change their product line in any way for it.

You can think that all you want but you have absolutely no proof or logical train of thought to back that up, at least not that you've expressed so far. And you certainly can't say that it completely violates their company policy or that they would have to change their product line in any way for it.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've explained my reasoning and I'm not going to bother repeating myself.