1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Question for Kevtris concerning the new Super Nt 4.4 firmware: I noticed on the new firmware the ability to set dimensions like "4x" for vertical for example. However, even when setting these, if you go into advance mode's width/height, it won't be updated to the other settings. So for example you can set the system to 4x vertical, but in width/height, the vertical will still be at default 1080 when it should be updated to 960. Is it possible to interlink these settings, or does turning on advance mode simply override the previous settings? Just curious about this. Cheers and thanks so much for your continued work on this awesome system.

it's pretty messy when you change, so it will force some settings. not much else I can do with a lot of changes and making assumptions on what people think it will do.

• Like 1

My New Starfox 2 uses an original Super FX2 PCB with OEM 5v parts. It doesn't even look like a repro board at all but a genuine game PCB. I can barely even tell the solder work where they added in the new ROM chip. You pay for quality though. It's the Aliexpress junk you have to worry about.

Sounds interesting. Just out of curiosity, would you mind taking a photo of that pcb?

I compared a Stunt Race FX and my Star Fox 2 repro. The PCBs are identical except for the Amtel EPROM. I looked up the data sheet for the Amtel and it is 5V. I'm assuming the repro was either a DOOM or a Stunt Race FX cart originally.

post-33189-0-26217800-1520223298_thumb.jpg

post-33189-0-33058400-1520223321_thumb.jpg

There is also a fine wire running underneath the Amtel chip. It is easy to miss.

Be advised that the Super FX and SA-1 repros all require either an original PCB or a new PCB with the enhancement chip pulled from an original pcb. It is not possible to build FX or SA-1 repros without a donor cart. Also note that they cut the expansion pins off in order to fit it in a repro shell. The extra pins are not utilized in FX games despite their presence on the pcb.

I compared a Stunt Race FX and my Star Fox 2 repro. The PCBs are identical except for the Amtel EPROM. I looked up the data sheet for the Amtel and it is 5V. I'm assuming the repro was either a DOOM or Stunt Race FX cart originally.

Star Fox 2 Repro.JPG

AMTEL27C080-15RI.JPG

There is also a fine wire running underneath the Amtel chip. It is easy to miss.

Be advised that the Super FX and SA-1 repros all require either an original PCB or a new PCB with the enhancement chip pulled from an original pcb. It is not possible to build FX or SA-1 repros without a donor cart. Also note that they cut the expansion pins off in order to fit it in a repro shell. The extra pins are not utilized in FX games despite their presence on the pcb.

That's the best looking repro I've ever seen, where did you get it?

• Like 1

LOL, like I said, its just very contradictive to see someone so knowledgable on the subject not willing to spend $300 on a TV that would be a night and day improvement over what he currently owns, yet is willing to pay $200+ for an HDMI Snes Clone.

I just find it curious. Usually the ones with the most knowledge have at least semi decent equipment as their main displays. I mean, I guess you at least have a relatively decent 1080p PC monitor.

You owe it to yourself to experience the Super NT in the best possible way and it won't cost you all that much. Its not like I'm telling you that you need to spend $1500 on an OLED display or something lol.

No excuses to be Mr. Cheapo. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-roku-tv/5878701.p?skuId=5878701

BTW, don't take my comments so personally, I'm just messing with you a bit. If you want to rock on a 10 yr old 26" Sanyo, have at it lol. At least you are playing on a Super NT and not one of those garbage clones from other companies.

Dangit, now just look at what you gone and made me do! :grin:

post-33189-0-93883200-1520227464_thumb.jpg

Check your PMs; I'm sending you the bill, j/k... :evil:

Input menu has hidden Easter Egg; AV presets include options for Atari and PONG.

post-33189-0-67091700-1520227560_thumb.jpg

Ironic that it also includes a "Wii" option with no component input (composite/rf only for analog consoles). No love for Sega fans either? :P

And the Atari/PONG logo is not false advertising. Here's my factory stock 4-switch woodgrain over NTSC channel 2:

post-33189-0-97728500-1520227681_thumb.jpg

Imagine that, a 1977 console still playing on a 2017 TV despite 40 years of innovation. Not as pretty as CRT but even rf connection is very quick and responsive. I could not detect any input lag on Draconian.

Detailed review here:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

• Like 2

So the SuperNt fw 4.4 was released yesterday and the JB 6.5 today that claims all the 4.4 fixes, for the sticklers just about 12h apart?

The firmware fairy was very busy!! I am not complaining.

EDIT: 10mins after I typed -> .... AND I just preordered a black one .... fuxx me!!!! .... my wife is gonna be sooooo maaaaaddddd .... wrt to the choice of color it was the only one left and to be fair the one I liked the most anyhow go figure, I like retro-consoles but I tend to hate their designs/choice-of-colors/weird-fashion-statements so tuxedo-black fits my taste this time.

EDIT2: ... finally the chance to contribute for real to kevtris' work, this time I put my money were my mouth is .... and I expect to be doing the same a few more times in the coming years as I doubt that kevtris is done with his FPGA retro-console development ... less than 1Y to have a fully working outstanding HDMI SNES core starting from scratch .... awesomesauce (yes, I know a lot of discovery was done in the last 2/2.5 decades by the various waves of emu-authors but kevtris is his own level of excellency)

• Like 1

$75 shipped for a repro cart, too rich for my blood!

You get what you pay for. How many other guys out there selling quality repros with expansion chips in them? ;-)

So the SuperNt fw 4.4 was released yesterday and the JB 6.5 today (for the sticklers around 12h apart)?

The firmware fairy was very busy

Yes indeed! Adds credence to my "evil twin" hypothesis... :evil:

You get what you pay for. How many other guys out there selling quality repros with expansion chips in them? icon_winking.gif

Yes indeed! Adds credence to my "evil twin" hypothesis... icon_evil.gif

Do we know if the jb firmware v6.5 has all the features of the current fw, like the built in game genie? Could be an older one that was just brought up to date.

Also once the firmware is hacked updating it to work with the newest version could simply be as easy as copying and pasting the jb code and a few changed lines to add the features.

I only say this because the jb firmware is constantly getting new features and bug fixes as is the main firmware so it seems pretty damn hard for one person to be doing both at the same time.

You get what you pay for. How many other guys out there selling quality repros with expansion chips in them? ;-)

I appreciate the quality, but it's still just a $10 Stunt Race cart with a new EPROM in it and a label. At that price I'd rather just wait for someone to build an SD2SNES with FX chip support, or look into building one myself.

• Like 1

Do we know if the jb firmware v6.5 has all the features of the current fw, like the built in game genie? Could be an older one that was just brought up to date.

Also once the firmware is hacked updating it to work with the newest version could simply be as easy as copying and pasting the jb code and a few changed lines to add the features.

I only say this because the jb firmware is constantly getting new features and bug fixes as is the main firmware so it seems pretty damn hard for one person to be doing both at the same time.

I don't know if FW4.4 and JB6.5 have full feature parity, the page only says all fixes:

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak#changelog

I am patiently awaiting now for the CoreStore as that would really make me start "cleaning the bins". Maybe we need a CoreStore fairy for this to happen or maybe the same JB FW author can try to cut'n'paste the NtMini CoreStore over to the SuperNt to see if that works and release it that way ... I'll believe him®

For in as long as we get the goodies "evil twin", "mini me", krikzz-redux, "Buddha Jumps Over the Wall", "the three amigos" ... I don't care.

• Like 1

The latest JB is based on the official 4.4 firmware that was released yesterday. Anytime a JB is released it will almost certainly be based on the latest official firmware at the time.

The latest JB is based on the official 4.4 firmware that was released yesterday. Anytime a JB is released it will almost certainly be based on the latest official firmware at the time.

Did you validate that it has feature parity?

The aforementioned cheat codes support is not mentioned in the JB, as I don't have my SuperNt to try I don't know if the feature is present.

Did you validate that it has feature parity?

The aforementioned cheat codes support is not mentioned in the JB, as I don't have my SuperNt to try I don't know if the feature is present.

Yes, I've been playing with it all day (also the release notes say "synced to fw 4.4")

The JB release notes are generally only going to mention the changes related to the JB.

Edited by cacophony

Dangit, now just look at what you gone and made me do! :grin:

attachicon.gifNew_4k_TVJPG.jpg

Check your PMs; I'm sending you the bill, j/k... :evil:

Input menu has hidden Easter Egg; AV presets include options for Atari and PONG.

attachicon.gifPONG_ATARI.JPG

Ironic that it also includes a "Wii" option with no component input (composite/rf only for analog consoles). No love for Sega fans either? :P

And the Atari/PONG logo is not false advertising. Here's my factory stock 4-switch woodgrain over NTSC channel 2:

attachicon.gifAtari_RF.JPG

Imagine that, a 1977 console still playing on a 2017 TV despite 40 years of innovation. Not as pretty as CRT but even rf connection is very quick and responsive. I could not detect any input lag on Draconian.

Detailed review here:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

That's freaking awesome man!!! Congrats.

If you need some video settings advice check out this link.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405/settings

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 1

I have a problem with the Super NT and firmware version 4.4

If I use the 8Bitdo controller, everything works just fine, but if I use a regular and official PAL Snes controller I can't control the Super NT menu. If I plug the wired controller in port 2 I can play the game just fine with it, but using wired controller on port 1 doesn't work with the Super NT menu.

Is this a bug or a problem with my Super NT?

I have a problem with the Super NT and firmware version 4.4

If I use the 8Bitdo controller, everything works just fine, but if I use a regular and official PAL Snes controller I can't control the Super NT menu. If I plug the wired controller in port 2 I can play the game just fine with it, but using wired controller on port 1 doesn't work with the Super NT menu.

Is this a bug or a problem with my Super NT?

First I've heard of this issue. Have you tried reverting to an earlier firmware to see if the problem goes away? That's the first thing I'd try.

It could be a firmware bug that was introduced in 4.4 for the type of controllers that you have. You sure you didn't accidentally enable the new NTT Data compatibility mode?

First I've heard of this issue. Have you tried reverting to an earlier firmware to see if the problem goes away? That's the first thing I'd try.

It could be a firmware bug that was introduced in 4.4 for the type of controllers that you have. You sure you didn't accidentally enable the new NTT Data compatibility mode?

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

I compared a Stunt Race FX and my Star Fox 2 repro. The PCBs are identical except for the Amtel EPROM. I looked up the data sheet for the Amtel and it is 5V. I'm assuming the repro was either a DOOM or a Stunt Race FX cart originally.

attachicon.gifStar Fox 2 Repro.JPG

attachicon.gifAMTEL27C080-15RI.JPG

Oh, well, I was under the impression that all their PCBs were custom made. So they just cut off the expansion pins to make it look more like one of their own PCBs. I guess I'll get a 27C080 and slap it onto one of my spare Stunt Race carts then. $75 is a bit much for a cheap old PCB and an OTP EPROM. The only problem might be getting the 080 as a SOP package to make it look clean.

Edited by kwnage

I was testing my new tv for pal 50hz settings. Booted Super Mario World European in pal hardware mode, zero delay, 50hz 720p/1080p output. Getting stutters and graphical artifacts that I can't really explain, especially when hitting a hint box. I am using jb6.5 firmware if that's any consolation. Where do I go to locate the "cheats" menu? Assuming it is on parity with official fw4.4, this feature should be included, correct?

For in as long as we get the goodies "evil twin", "mini me", krikzz-redux, "Buddha Jumps Over the Wall", "the three amigos" ... I don't care.

It is obvious. Thing 1 compiled the official firmware, sent it to Analogue. Thing 2 toggled the SD loader, recompiled, and sent it to Smokemonster. Whether Thing 1 and Thing 2 are working in tandem together, I have no idea, but it's a distint possibility.

Between Thing 1 and Thing 2 uploading different versions of the same firmware, took less than 12 hours. Thing 2 is either an incredibly talented hacker, or has access to the same resources as Thing 1. Thing 1 has a known identity. Thing 2 is anonomous. Two sides of the same coin? It's a distinct possibility. 8)