1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I love what you've done there spoonman. I would be interested in doing the same, although I think I'd like to use "Nintendo Advanced Video System" as a sort of call back to an alternate reality where Nintendo actually re-released the system with HDMI.

How did u get that on there? Curious. Think I might actually do this.

As for the design of the system, the second I saw it I thought it was a blast from the 80s. It really looks like something Nintendo might have made. I think it's based on their original design. Anyways, I don't think it looks "stupid" but I'd say it looks a beautiful-in-its-own-way ugly sort of charming. To say I love the design is an understatement. It's perfect.

Edited by brentonius
  • Like 3

Let's not forget what these are. In their purest form, they are made to replicate toys from our youth.

I like the look and style of the AVS, simply because it reminds me of the front loader NES, which I have owned since October 1985.

Is it cheap?.. you bet! $179.99 for beautiful quality HD NES and Famicom.

Will it last forever? Probably not, but neither will I. [emoji14]

Here it is without the logo label. Still not bad IMO.

RetroUSB_AVS-08-vgo.jpg

And a $4 logo label improves upon it..

RetroUSB-AVS_NES30_Pads-05-vgo.jpg

I also like how the AVS' large cartridge bay keeps the cart protected and free of dust.

RetroUSB_AVS-TengenTetris-01-vgo.jpg

So does this look stupid? In my opinion no. It looks fine to me.

Just wanted to comment on how that's my favorite version of Tetris of all time! Good on you :)

EDIT: Oh and I like the sticker placement. :)

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Lost Gaijin
  • Like 2

Let's not forget what these are. In their purest form, they are made to replicate toys from our youth.

I like the look and style of the AVS, simply because it reminds me of the front loader NES, which I have owned since October 1985.

Is it cheap?.. you bet! $179.99 for beautiful quality HD NES and Famicom.

Will it last forever? Probably not, but neither will I. :P

Here it is without the logo label. Still not bad IMO.

RetroUSB_AVS-08-vgo.jpg

And a $4 logo label improves upon it..

RetroUSB-AVS_NES30_Pads-05-vgo.jpg

I also like how the AVS' large cartridge bay keeps the cart protected and free of dust.

RetroUSB_AVS-TengenTetris-01-vgo.jpg

So does this look stupid? In my opinion no. It looks fine to me.

The AVS looks awesome. Where did you get that Nintendo entertainment sticker from?

• Like 1

I love what you've done there spoonman. I would be interested in doing the same, although I think I'd like to use "Nintendo Advanced Video System" as a sort of call back to an alternate reality where Nintendo actually re-released the system with HDMI.

How did u get that on there? Curious. Think I might actually do this.

As for the design of the system, the second I saw it I thought it was a blast from the 80s. It really looks like something Nintendo might have made. I think it's based on their original design. Anyways, I don't think it looks "stupid" but I'd say it looks a beautiful-in-its-own-way ugly sort of charming. To say I love the design is an understatement. It's perfect.

Thanks. I had someone on eBay (sorry, i forget who the seller was, but he was based in the UK) send me a few of the logos. They have adhesive on the back and stick rather well. I think they are meant to be sprayed over with some type if clear coat, but they seem fine as is. I am just careful not to accidentally scrape it off when using the AVS.

One of stickers was actually supposed to say "Nintendo Advanced Video System", but instead it ended up saying "Advanced Entertainment System"... AES!? ;) He must have had the NeoGeo AES on his mind haha. Oh well. I think I prefer the original NES deck logo TBH, so it's all good.

And just for reference, if anyone isn't familiar with Nintendo's original AVS console. It looks like this.

nintendoAVS-Flyer.jpeg

NintendoAVSSystem.jpg

I feel like the RetroUSB AVS is a nice combination between the Nintendo AVS and NES.

Just wanted to comment on how that's my favorite version of Tetris of all time! Good on you :)

EDIT: Oh and I like the sticker placement. :)

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Glad you like it.

That FDS Diskun sticker felt like he was meant to go there. :)

It reminds me that I still need to buy an FDS memory module for it too!

It came with the awesome NES Compendium book from Bitmap Books.

book-NESFamicomAVisualCompendium-vgo-16.

And yes, Tengen Tetris rocks. I love all of the play modes, and the original Tetris music, as it should have been with Nintendo's own NES Tetris.

I also LOVE Tetris DS.

DS-TetrisDS-vgo.jpg

There is some excellent remixed classic tunes and great 8-bit sprite rips in it. I wish they would make a new version for the Switch.

The AVS looks awesome. Where did you get that Nintendo entertainment sticker from?

Thanks. I don't recall the original seller since it was a couple of years ago, but this looks almost identical.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-Logo-Sticker-Vinyl-Decal-NES-Front-Door-Video-Game/182961824848?hash=item2a995fe450:m:mrYeWFGYigvP6LrglS_BPXg

Edited by spoonman
  • Like 1

I recall Kevin saying that he's going to do an overhaul on the scanlines for the Super Nt.

I don't think they look bad as is, when the video is set to display them evenly if course, but would it be possible to use the same scanline filters used with something like Retroarch or MAME?

This is not my pic. It was posted as an example of a good scanline filter used with Retroarch.

I think it looks good, but I'd like a version of it without the blurring added.

xhzvdtT.png

And a couple of Super Nt comparison shots with scanlines on.

AnalogueSuperNt-vgo-20.jpg

SuperNt-SF2-vgo-01.jpg

SuperNt-SF2-vgo-02.jpg

Edited by spoonman

Scanlines will never look good at non-integer ratios.

960p pads a little bit. 1200 crops a little bit for 1080p output.

If you want integer scaling without cropping or letterbox, use 720p x 1024 (4x width 3x heigth.

Well, that sucks. I tried the 720p settings and I just don't like the downgrade from the crispness at 1080p. There's still a little bit of black bars even at that height. I want it to fill the full height of the screen :(

I do got another question if you or anybody else can tell me. I just ordered a couple of PAL European exclusive games last night and know I must change the setting from NTSC to PAL on the Super NT to run PAL games. But must I also change the resolution output to 1080p@50hz? Or can I just leave it on 1080p@60hz and it will run fine? My TV seems to support 50hz (at least according Super NT) if need be.

After messing around for weeks, I've settled on these:

1080p (just like the sharpness over 720p)

6x width 5x height. (I like to fill as much of the screen as possible without cutting anything off & want integer scaling)

Hybrid scanlines +55 (Never liked scanlines before but I am warming up to them. Slowly increasing the depth as well)

Scale3x (Just like how the images are less "pixelated" and seem more smooth. Also color seems better to me)

Limit RGB - off (when i turn it on, everything seems to get grayed out, just don't like the image)

Buffer (zero delay)

Also, light having the LED set to center pixel. Not sure why but I think this is so cool!

what are everyones preferred video settings?

Well, that sucks. I tried the 720p settings and I just don't like the downgrade from the crispness at 1080p. There's still a little bit of black bars even at that height. I want it to fill the full height of the screen :(

I do got another question if you or anybody else can tell me. I just ordered a couple of PAL European exclusive games last night and know I must change the setting from NTSC to PAL on the Super NT to run PAL games. But must I also change the resolution output to 1080p@50hz? Or can I just leave it on 1080p@60hz and it will run fine? My TV seems to support 50hz (at least according Super NT) if need be.

From my understanding, if you use the PAL setting with 1080p60 you'll force the SuperNt into buffered mode as it'll have to convert the output framerate from 50Hz to 60Hz. This will result in slight stutter or frame tearing. Other than that, it'll run fine.

So, I just got this in today...

IMG_4720.jpg

I tried to dump it via copysnes and when I run it from the copysnes folder, I only get a black screen. :( It runs fine from the cart.

Could do some kinda weird banking setup, the Joe & Mac caveman collection only dumps the rom selection menu, not the games themselves

• Like 1

what are everyones preferred video settings?

720p resolution.

Height 3x with 4:3 aspect ratio.

No scaler. Disable H interpolation.

Hybrid scanlines with Scanline Depth set to +255.

Red Gamma +1.35, Green Gamma + 1.45, Blue Gamma +1.35

Buffer mode Zero Delay.

From my understanding, if you use the PAL setting with 1080p60 you'll force the SuperNt into buffered mode as it'll have to convert the output framerate from 50Hz to 60Hz. This will result in slight stutter or frame tearing. Other than that, it'll run fine.

Ah, okay. So if I set it to its native 50hz it should eliminate that? It'll just be slower and that's it? These games were PAL exclusives anyways so running it at 50hz will be kind of true to the original :)

I did change my settings a little while ago to 1080p@50hz on my Super Nt to make sure it works on my TV and it does seem to work (using NTSC cart). It didn't seem to be as smooth and I assume if it didn't work I'd get a black screen or something?

Edited by cowabunga

Slightly OT, but maybe someone here can help me out, my copy of Metal Warriors fails to boot and Copy SNES seems to suggest it has some sort of issue with the cart, the contacts have been cleaned multiple times but I've yet to get it to properly come up, is it possible the mask rom is corrupt or is it more likely that one of the pins has a connection issue?

metalwarriors.jpg

It's definitely an original cart but I'm at a loss currently, I multimetered for shorts and didn't find any, if anyone has a suggestion as to which pin may be directly at fault I'd appreciate any insight

720p resolution.

Height 3x with 4:3 aspect ratio.

No scaler. Disable H interpolation.

Hybrid scanlines with Scanline Depth set to +255.

Red Gamma +1.35, Green Gamma + 1.45, Blue Gamma +1.35

Buffer mode Zero Delay.

You disabled H interpolation despite having a non integer horizontal scale. Is there a specific reason for this? It should look quite bad.

• Like 1

Ah, okay. So if I set it to its native 50hz it should eliminate that? It'll just be slower and that's it? These games were PAL exclusives anyways so running it at 50hz will be kind of true to the original :)

I did change my settings a little while ago to 1080p@50hz on my Super Nt to make sure it works on my TV and it does seem to work (using NTSC cart). It didn't seem to be as smooth and I assume if it didn't work I'd get a black screen or something?

It won't be slower than if you set it so 1080p60, as the SuperNt will set the speed according to your region setting. But it'll get rid of any stuttering or frame drops in Zero Lag mode.

If the games are PAL exclusives, they should be run at PAL speed anyways.

If you change your settings to 1080p50 while running in NTSC mode it'll become choppy, same or even worse than 1080p60 in PAL mode.

Most TVs nowadays should accept 50 and 60Hz, as yours seems to do. So that's fine.

Edited by kwnage

I have an odd problem with my jail broken NT Mini. I used Smokemonsters rom pack which includes every rom for every system core. I used a properly formatted SD card and loaded everything onto the card without an issue. However, the NES/Famicom directory appears empty on the NT Minis file browser. I double checked the card on my PC and every rom in the NES folder is present. Anyone have this issue?

I have an odd problem with my jail broken NT Mini. I used Smokemonsters rom pack which includes every rom for every system core. I used a properly formatted SD card and loaded everything onto the card without an issue. However, the NES/Famicom directory appears empty on the NT Minis file browser. I double checked the card on my PC and every rom in the NES folder is present. Anyone have this issue?

Can you post a screen shot of the folder tree (structure)?

It should be drive letter > system folder > roms

Here is mine:

ntministuct.png

Edited by F34R

It won't be slower than if you set it so 1080p60, as the SuperNt will set the speed according to your region setting. But it'll get rid of any stuttering or frame drops in Zero Lag mode.

If the games are PAL exclusives, they should be run at PAL speed anyways.

If you change your settings to 1080p50 while running in NTSC mode it'll become choppy, same or even worse than 1080p60 in PAL mode.

Most TVs nowadays should accept 50 and 60Hz, as yours seems to do. So that's fine.

Got it! I'll be sure to set it to 50hz then.

And that's definitely the best way to describe it using an NTSC cart. It was choppy.

Thanks for the help.

With no NT Mini coming they need to add nes core on the next jailbreak update? At least do this Analogue if your not doing another round of the nt mini. So many of us don't have a nt mini and have loads of nes carts. I don't understand Analogue's logic in not bring it back to market?

Analogue hasn't ever developed or supported the jailbreak firmware on the NT Mini, or the Super NT.