1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Is there a way to remap buttons on the Super NT? I have never noticed it, so I assume no.

I don't really have the need there, but I'm asking since I do foresee it being useful in my instance on the Mega SG. I have an arcade stick that I'd like to use from time to time which isn't a native Sega accessory. It will have to be connected via a Wiimote and the upcoming 8BitDo Bluetooth Retro Receiver that I saw mentioned around here.

Since I suspect the chances of buttons being mapped how I like isn't good, I'm hoping there's a configuration menu I'm unaware of on the Super NT or that perhaps one might be planned for the feature-set of the Mega SG. My arcade stick has real arcade components, unlike my old ASCII FightStick for the Genesis, so I'd really like to be able to make best use of it here.

If not, does 8BitDo offer button customization options with their recent firmware? That would get the job done as well.

Edited by Atariboy

Is there a way to remap buttons on the Super NT? I have never noticed it, so I assume no.

I don't really have the need there, but I'm asking since I do foresee it being useful in my instance on the Mega SG. I have an arcade stick that I'd like to use from time to time which isn't a native Sega accessory. It will have to be connected via a Wiimote and the upcoming 8BitDo Bluetooth Retro Receiver that I saw mentioned around here.

Since I suspect the chances of buttons being mapped how I like isn't good, I'm hoping there's a configuration menu I'm unaware of on the Super NT or that perhaps one might be planned for the feature-set of the Mega SG. My arcade stick has real arcade components, unlike my old ASCII FightStick for the Genesis, so I'd really like to be able to make best use of it here.

If not, does 8BitDo offer button customization options with their recent firmware? That would get the job done as well.

Consider picking one of these Genesis arcade sticks with Sanwa components: https://twitter.com/benjedwards/status/1052222110385545217?s=21

If not, does 8BitDo offer button customisation options with their recent firmware? That would get the job done as well.

They use to have a little button customisation program for the original 8bitdo snes and nes controllers, but stopped it for some reason? It seemed to only work with curtain firmwares. I asked 8bitdo customer feedback forums last year (before they shut it down) if they would ever bring it back, but got no response. We need that button customisation back.

Edited by RetrogamerX

There's zero chance that they'll release the SNES core for the SG or vise versa because it wouldn't make any sense from a business perspective.

From a business perspective? They would certainly sell more units if they played other consoles from JB firmware, but they also don't want to officially support any ROM based paths. I do think it will be some time before "someone" releases it, but once their lines of gaming systems have all been exhausted (maybe NeoGeo next, perhaps PS1), then I feel a JB will leak for these other systems.

I could be wrong but once their sales have peaked for early enthusiasts, I bet they try to re-stimulate that via unofficial JB firmware that makes any of their consoles a full blown multi-console.

From a business perspective? They would certainly sell more units if they played other consoles from JB firmware, but they also don't want to officially support any ROM based paths. I do think it will be some time before "someone" releases it, but once their lines of gaming systems have all been exhausted (maybe NeoGeo next, perhaps PS1), then I feel a JB will leak for these other systems.

No they wouldnt. Theres an enormous overlap between people who buy the SNT and people who buy the Mega SG. Giving away one with other would result in significantly less revenue for Analogue overall.

For less popular consoles that cant justify a separate release you have a point though.

Edit: why do apostrophes always disappear when I submit text via mobile (safari on iOS)?

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 2

No they wouldnt. Theres an enormous overlap between people who buy the SNT and people who buy the Mega SG. Giving away one with other would result in significantly less revenue for Analogue overall.

pretty much this. i could see them adding an nes adapter to the super nt (controller ports are "backward compatible" with adapter) if they dont plan on remaking a cost reduced nt mini. retrousb pretty much cornered the nes fpga market atm. while i would like to see a turbografx or atari multiconsole, i'm not holding my breath. i dont see kevtris doing the zimba 3000 anytime soon as long as he is working for analogue... :P

• Like 2

One thing I'm excited about with the new 8bitdo receivers for Genesis is that the 9pin DSUB should also work on Atari hardware and other machines (with a single button).

I suppose it would be possible to wire an adpater to add a second button (for Amiga). And there are Genesis to Neogeo converters around, meaning they can be used on AES and Superguns as well.

One thing I'm excited about with the new 8bitdo receivers for Genesis is that the 9pin DSUB should also work on Atari hardware and other machines (with a single button).

We don't know this for sure. Atari VCC is pin 7 (Genesis Select). Genesis VCC is pin 5 (Atari paddle). The Genesis controller operates because the 5v logic chip contains reverse bias anti-esd diodes on the inputs which safely divert electrical static discharge to gnd or vcc when it exceeds .7v above or below the power plane. This diode conducts when no vcc source is supplied to the logic chip, pulling vcc power up to 4.3v, enough to allow the chip to function. This also pegs pin 5 to 4.3 volts, ensuring that one paddle input is always high. This allows C button to be detected on pin 9 (pressing button c pulls pin 9 low).

At this time we have no way of knowing whether the 8bitdo will sink enough current through Atari pin 7 to power the device. The 2.4ghz transmitter pulls more load than a standard controller, enough to reset an nes or snes when plugged in. If the transmitter and control logic run at 3v, a logic converter will need to be hooked up to vcc to step down from 5v to 3v. If the dc step down converter does not receive a reliable voltage source (4-5v), then the receiver will not function.

Fixing the receiver will be trivial. Add a reverse biased diode from sega vcc (pin 5) to atari vcc /sega select (pin 7). Plus side of the diode goes to pin 7. Minus side to pin 5. The diode will peg vcc to at least 4.3v whenever it is plugged to thd Atari, and will not conduct when plugged intk the sega.

Any guesses what their next console might be? Atari/Colecovision maybe would be my thought. I assume they are waiting to see how the Collectorvision kickstarter pans out,

Doesn'tlook like it's gonna make it sadly. Coleco just doesn't have enough love it seems. I would back a native Atari 2600/7800 console though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso

Doesn't look like it's gonna make it sadly. Coleco just doesn't have enough love it seems. I would back a native Atari 2600/7800 console though.

I don't think even a pre-NES multi-system (with Atari 2600, ColecoVision and Intellivision cart slots, plus cart adaptors for other cores) would make as big a splash as the NT Mini, Super NT or Mega SG. I believe most people (including a lot of YouTubers) would see such a system as a step back for Analogue, especially given all that's missing for the jail-broken NT Mini is the Intellivision core, an improved ColecoVision core with SGM + MegaCart support, and perhaps an Atari 5200 core.

From a pure marketing point of view, it makes more sense to do either Turbografx-16, Game Boy Advance or even Neo-Geo next.

I would by an FPGA based Game Gear system. Make the system smaller and have a better screen,

Actually, handheld FPGA system has a nice ring to it. Kevtris, ever thought about doing one?

It was people I met way back 2006-08, in a forum for a handheld fpga system (that never came out), which led me to come to AA in the first place. I remember it was a clamshell handheld and they had Ben Heckendorn design the case, which wasn't maybe as refined as it could have looked, but it was all very early development. Anybody else remember that thing or what is was going to be called?

I'm less of a handheld gamer than I used to be, but I'm down for a handheld. Especially if it takes disposable batteries--those let me choose/upgrade the battery technology inside, and if the battery isn't disposable, then the system kind of starts to feel a little disposable.

Edited by Reaperman

I've been following this thread for about a year, and have been following analogue since the Nt mini was announced. I'm a proud super Nt owner, and will certainly be getting a Mega Sg in the near future as well. This thread has been incredibly helpful with an abundance of information about jailbreaks and optimizing my super Nt setup, which I am very grateful to you all for.

I grew up playing games, started with NES, but my nostalgia is definitely highest for SNES, Genesis, and N64. I have owned nearly all of the major 1990's and 2000's consoles at some point, though have sold most of them over time. I am now in my early 30's, and have more disposable income but much less time to play games with work and family life. I am probably more on the casual side than most on this forum, but I'm happy to spend money on quality and convenience and still have a cart collection laying around. CRT's are long gone from my house, and I love what Analogue is doing with the features, quality and price point they are hitting with the super Nt and Mega Sg. I don't think I'm the only one in this boat, and it seems like from order numbers reported here, the super Nt and Mega Sg are selling much better than any of their previous products did.

Just wanted to offer my opinion on where Analogue should go next, as I've become a huge fan of this company and of Kevtris' work and dedication to perfection. I think most of the earlier consoles being discussed here such as TG16, colecovision, intellivision, PCE, Neo-geo, etc are all too niche to launch a dedicated product for, and would sell in far fewer numbers than the SNT or MSG. An Atari multiconsole may have potential but is really before my time for me to comment on.

To my knowledge, if Analogue wants to produce a system that will sell as much as their two most recent ones are, they have three logical options: N64, GBA, or PS1. I list those in order of preference. I think the market for PS1 may be less than some think because of the excellent backwards compatibility that both PS2 and PS3 provide, and as has been discussed here, the Bios issue may be technically difficult, as well as sourcing CD drives. The coming PS1 classic may also erode the market potential for a "Play Sn".

I have seen the Kevtris interview on MLIG when the SNT launched, and I remember him saying with current FPGA tech, N64 is likely not yet possible at a reasonable price point. I am hopeful this changes soon, as I am 100% sure this is the system with the fewest options out there, suboptimal current emulation, and would benefit the most from some Kevtris magic, especially if he can utilize the ultraHDMI tech which has been a game changer for N64 but has extremely limited availability and is cost prohibitive. If analogue could find a way to include goldeneye preloaded on a "64 Nt" like they did with super turrican, they will have a slam dunk hit that will sell more than anything else they've made to this point.

That leaves GBA, which Kevtris has said is technically feasible with current FPGA tech, and would be my pick for their next product. There's a ton of great GBA games, the game boy player for GC is difficult to come by, and Nintendo removed backwards compatibility for GBA from the DS a long time ago. I believe a "GB Nt" with support for GBA, GBC, and GB would sell just as much if not more than anything Analogue has made thus far. Playing GBA games on a modern TV could be a great experience and seems like an untapped market to me, as the only main option I'm aware of is GC + GB player + expensive GC component cables + component to HDMI converter. An FPGA portable GB unit would be a great option as well if they wanted to go that route.

Edited by StrikerTek
  • Like 2

GBA would be ideal. 160p / 240h scales nicely 3x integer to 480p / 720h as well, though higher definition ratios 720p / 1080p aren't divisible, and there's no safe area to crop, so 4x @720p or 6x @1080p would work well, even with overcanned tvs.

GBA bios is really only useful for download play without a cart. Otherwise it just passes control directly to the cartridge. This is why gba clones are available without violating copyright. And yeah, throw in a Game Boy core too. Selecting game type is a bit tricky however as Game Boy is 5v bus and GBA is 3.3v bus.