1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Kevtris has said a number of times in the Classic Gaming Discord that he'll be working on fixing up and tweaking the Mega SG before he works on the DAC. The next Mega SG is likely going to be a very HUGE patch (and from what it looks like, one of the final patches aside from minor stuff). One which will fix one of the glaring issues that people have had with both the Mega SG and Super NT (the missing line of scan data at the top of the screen). He mentioned (?) that the patch will likely be out this coming week as well.

Hopefully shortly after this patch we see some information on the DAC.

In case anyone missed it MiSTer added support for Genesis Virtua Racing (aka support for the SVP or enough of it for that game):

https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-genesis-core-gets-fpga-svp-chip-support-for-virtua-racing-support.html

[unrelated] wrt supporting SMS palette for Mode2 ... only F-16 is impacted:

http://www.smspower.org/Tags/LegacyVideo

(all the rest are ports from MSX, SG-1000 etc... which scream TMS9918 original palette, maybe an option/exception for F-16 fans but the SMS palette for 9918 modes is a thanks but no thanks)

• Like 1

Official firmware is out. Amusing how over the weekend a MiSTer dev accused Kevtris of stealing their code (in a since-deleted tweet, leaving my reply as an orphan) and on Monday Analogue drops a firmware with the similar (incorrect) behavior fixed.

(ignore the URL text, the page has been updated for 4.5)

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360024836892-Mega-Sg-Firmware-Update-v4-4

Kevtris, if you read this please know that 4.5 does NOT fix the red screen issue with Pier Solar reprint when connected to a model 1 SCD. Just tested. There are multiple revisions of Pier Solar. I wonder if perhaps you tested with the original release not the reprint?

Kevtris has said a number of times in the Classic Gaming Discord that he'll be working on fixing up and tweaking the Mega SG before he works on the DAC. The next Mega SG is likely going to be a very HUGE patch (and from what it looks like, one of the final patches aside from minor stuff). One which will fix one of the glaring issues that people have had with both the Mega SG and Super NT (the missing line of scan data at the top of the screen). He mentioned (?) that the patch will likely be out this coming week as well.

Hopefully shortly after this patch we see some information on the DAC.

I never noticed a missing line of pixels on my Super NT. Then again, I use an integer 5x scaling so the very top and bottom of the screen are chopped off. My 1990s CRT TV chops off far more of the screen due to overscan, and so the super crisp integer scale of 5x works very well for me. My OSSC has a similar 5x setting.

Is there a screenshot of the missing line on the Super NT?

Kevtris, if you read this please know that 4.5 does NOT fix the red screen issue with Pier Solar reprint when connected to a model 1 SCD. Just tested. There are multiple revisions of Pier Solar. I wonder if perhaps you tested with the original release not the reprint?

I tested the reprint. I tested it on all three major models of CD unit, too. a US model 1 and 2, and a japanese CD unit (which looks like a model 1). The cart I have is indeed the reprint, and I opened it up to confirm it's legit. It is, and has the schmoo covering the chips like other pictures I've seen.

I tested the reprint. I tested it on all three major models of CD unit, too. a US model 1 and 2, and a japanese CD unit (which looks like a model 1). The cart I have is indeed the reprint, and I opened it up to confirm it's legit. It is, and has the schmoo covering the chips like other pictures I've seen.

Thanks for the response. Is your cart rev 3 dated Jan 2012? I checked today and mine is. Maybe that's the difference. I would be happy to send you my cart for troubleshooting. Just let me know. The game works perfectly in my CDX but I'd prefer to use MSG+SCD.

Edited by mario64

. And being able to dump your own roms as well is always a nice thing to have for a variety of reasons.

Brian also mentioned that it was possible to have it play GB/GBC roms, but he didn't go into detail, and I honestly don't know where they would be sourced from since there is no SDCard. I guess it would have to be over a powered USB transfer, such as a PC, in conjunction with a rom sender (VGS), at which point it might not be worth the trouble.

Still bummed on missing out with the retrovision Super Gameboy NES thingy.

The GB firmware thing would be doable with a pin adapter, however it would probably require a reflash seeing the AVS is currently 95+% utilized. This was why additional firmware updates with extra menu features haven't come to fruition. The Mega SG and Super NT have Cyclone V FPGAs in them, forgot what the AVS used. I wanna say Brian was in bed with Xilinx for a while.

I like the versatility of the Scoreboard app but it gets underutilized. Mobile devices are ubiquitous now and not everyone wants to dongle a PC around. A mobile scoreboard app or Raspberry Pi image would have been nice. I don't even have a working laptop anymore, just a big ass desktop and a smart phone and android I do 99% of web browsing on now. So using scoreboard in the living room is currently not an option. I dump with CopyNES on my toaster but it's antiquated. Also incompatible with Krikzz everdrive and no workaround exists.

I never noticed a missing line of pixels on my Super NT. Then again, I use an integer 5x scaling so the very top and bottom of the screen are chopped off. My 1990s CRT TV chops off far more of the screen due to overscan, and so the super crisp integer scale of 5x works very well for me. My OSSC has a similar 5x setting.

Is there a screenshot of the missing line on the Super NT?

It was a firmware issue, so it is (previously) on every firmware before 4.5 on the Mega SG, and all firmware currently for the Super NT. Every console has this issue up until today.

It's something that once you see it, you can't exactly un-see it as well:

10180d685cadb4f0c283e9d65c4bc0bb_1280.pn

Just captured that image off of my Super NT for ya. You see how there is a very thin black line across the top? That shouldn't be there -- it should be a row of pixels there that fills out the rest of the image. Thankfully, Kevtris has fixed this issue and will be providing a firmware patch for the Super NT soon.

Edited by Sho

It was a firmware issue, so it is (previously) on every firmware before 4.5 on the Mega SG, and all firmware currently for the Super NT. Every console has this issue up until today.

It's something that once you see it, you can't exactly un-see it as well:

10180d685cadb4f0c283e9d65c4bc0bb_1280.pn

Just captured that image off of my Super NT for ya. You see how there is a very thin black line across the top? That shouldn't be there -- it should be a row of pixels there that fills out the rest of the image. Thankfully, Kevtris has fixed this issue and will be providing a firmware patch for the Super NT soon.

Thanks for posting the screenshot. I am glad that Kevtris is continuing to improve the Super NT. However, people that crop the top and bottom to simulate CRT TV overscan would not notice the missing line of pixels.

Installed a new Hi-Def NES for someone yesterday and played through Ninja Gaiden again to see if the cutscene at the end of the game is still glitched with the latest FW. It is. :(

This time I did it with the Everdrive so I could see if the issue exists with and without “New PPU Fixes” enabled. It shows the error on both. Yes, I saved and power-cycled.

Curious: does anyone know if it does this on an Nt Mini? I mean, same FPGA PPU core, right? It’s a notoriously difficult game so I don’t expect someone to play through just to check this, but perhaps there‘s a way to load my save state on a jail broken mini? If so, I’ll see if I can get it off the Famicom Everdrive N8 to share.

The Ninja Gaiden glitch is visible in this old video of mine:

https://youtu.be/xBF3kP2CL7Y

(distinct rectangular area around Ryu’s eyes when the screen flashes).

Are hybrid scanlines fixed for 1080p? Two other things when you have an integer scale: Scanlines should never bisect scales pixels and scanlines should not vary in thickness. UltraHDMI gets this right but Super Nt and Mega Sg were both broken for 1080p last I checked.

Edited by CZroe