Jump to content
kevtris

FPGA Based Videogame System

Interest in an FPGA Videogame System  

605 members have voted

  1. 1. I would pay....

  2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

  3. 3. Games Should Run From...

    • SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...



Recommended Posts

On 7/16/2019 at 8:32 AM, SegaSnatcher said:

They said they were being manufactured like 2 weeks ago.  I'm actually more interested in a possible Copy Gen/SMS so I can rip some of my saves.

Where was that announced? Did they say when they will be accepting pre-orders?

 

Super Magic Drives are still handy for dumping roms and SRAM data.

SuperMagicDrive_Floppy-vgo-01.jpg

 

 

On 7/16/2019 at 1:03 PM, Toth said:

I am not really sure, lol.  I bought it during the Mega SG pre-order and wasn't really thinking about a jail break at the time.  I didn't jailbreak the Super Nt and didn't jailbreak the Mega SG so I just hadn't considered it.

GG EverDrives are still very sought after by Game Gear system owners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spoonman said:

Where was that announced? Did they say when they will be accepting pre-orders?


GG EverDrives are still very sought after by Game Gear system owners. 


Analogue replied to someone via Twitter and no they aren't accepting pre-orders right now.  

Krikzz needs to upgrade that old GG Everdrive.  Its still flash based which = much slower loading times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Enragedwhale said:

I’m in the UK and with the Mega SG I had to pay import fees. The shipping company analogue used declared the correct value (as they should).

 

But with the Super NT before it they declared it’s value as £0 and I didn’t get stung for anything.  

Thanks for the info, did you pay the import fees to Fedex upon delivery?

8 hours ago, Austin said:

How to remedy this in three quick steps:

 

1. Open your web browser and navigate to ebay.com.

2. In the eBay search bar, simply type, "Sega 32X system". Click "Search".

3. Bask in the glory that is all of the 32X add-ons that you have easily found!

I know I can do that but my point was that due to the small number of units released, the 32X price is way too inflated today and very high for what if offers (a very limited library).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Molteno said:

I know I can do that but my point was that due to the small number of units released, the 32X price is way too inflated today and very high for what if offers (a very limited library).

Subjective. I honestly don't think 32X prices are too bad, at least for folks with flash carts (which I'd assume would be a lot of us here). It's got enough solid titles on it to warrant the entry price of the add-on itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What really worries me is that there are MANY bugs reported by now in JB firmware issue list,

but it does not seem to be any public progress for fixing them.

These issues are common with original firmware, too.

Do you guys know if there are plans for fixing those?

 

Its been several months since the MegaSG was released, yet its still showing bugs in not-so-rare games.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vanfanel said:

What really worries me is that there are MANY bugs reported by now in JB firmware issue list,

but it does not seem to be any public progress for fixing them.

These issues are common with original firmware, too.

Do you guys know if there are plans for fixing those?

 

Its been several months since the MegaSG was released, yet its still showing bugs in not-so-rare games.

Well based on what we saw with Super NT Analogue will quickly move Kevtris on to their next product so don't expect much in terms of firmware updates past the 6 month mark

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, vanfanel said:

What really worries me is that there are MANY bugs reported by now in JB firmware issue list,

but it does not seem to be any public progress for fixing them.

These issues are common with original firmware, too.

Do you guys know if there are plans for fixing those?

 

Its been several months since the MegaSG was released, yet its still showing bugs in not-so-rare games.

Well Kevtris said he was working on Official Super NT Firmware like 2 weeks ago, so I think that will be next release.  I'm sure we'll get at least one more Mega SG firmware sometime soon too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with original consoles there's differences among the hardware revisions. You're never going to be 100% "bug free" anywhere.

 

And as far as the many bugs on that site, the amazing thing to me is that's all there is! 18 obscure issues for the most part that you'd be hard pressed to find on your own. i.e. 99.99% of the Genesis / Sega CD library runs fine! :lol:  Kev did an amazing job of squashing bugs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



My understanding is the flash cart plays genesis and 32x roms plugged into a 32x, and it plays sms, genesis, and cd games when plugged directly into a genesis. And some frankenstein adapter that let you plug the 32x into the expansion port and the flash cart into the genesis to enable 32x cd games.
 
Be that as it may, the 32x is useless currently with the mega sg. Perhaps you could stack the crt and the hdtv by plugging the mega sg to the hdtv and the 32x to the crt.
 
However the background graphics generated by the genesis and foreground 32x objects will be on different displays potentially making the games an unplayable mess. 


With the adapter the 32X would still go in the top of the system. The MegaSD goes into the expansion port adapter. When you want to play CD titles and into the 32X or system normally when you want to play most anything else (expansion port has a lower address limit than the cart slot so only small ROMs would work there).

I don't know if the 32X will generate anything if it doesn't get sync from the Genesis. Pretty sure they are locked in order to do the overlay stuff so it makes sense that the 32X sync is built from the Genesis' sync and it all falls apart without that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Molteno said:

Thanks for the info, did you pay the import fees to Fedex upon delivery?

If I remember right they billed me afterwards. I know some people were upset (with good reason) for the use of FedEx but it’s actually a better experience than Royal Mail in the uk who don’t even deliver your imported item. I’ve always had to go collect it from local sorting office after waiting days for the fees notification through the post and then they charge you an even bigger “handling charge” than FedEx for the privilege! Soon it’ll probably be like this for European deliveries too 🙁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CZroe said:

I don't know if the 32X will generate anything if it doesn't get sync from the Genesis. Pretty sure they are locked in order to do the overlay stuff so it makes sense that the 32X sync is built from the Genesis' sync and it all falls apart without that.

 

Interesting! Might explain why my PAL 32x has no trouble running at the slightly different refresh rate my modded JP console puts out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Enragedwhale said:

If I remember right they billed me afterwards. I know some people were upset (with good reason) for the use of FedEx but it’s actually a better experience than Royal Mail in the uk who don’t even deliver your imported item. I’ve always had to go collect it from local sorting office after waiting days for the fees notification through the post and then they charge you an even bigger “handling charge” than FedEx for the privilege! Soon it’ll probably be like this for European deliveries too 🙁 

Many thanks, appreciate it. Yeap, unfortunately many people don't understand what frictionless trade really means: import fees to everything, from everywhere, coming soon... It is taken for granted everyday but in reality it's an EU priviledge. Politics mess up everything 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NE146 said:

Even with original consoles there's differences among the hardware revisions. You're never going to be 100% "bug free" anywhere.

 

And as far as the many bugs on that site, the amazing thing to me is that's all there is! 18 obscure issues for the most part that you'd be hard pressed to find on your own. i.e. 99.99% of the Genesis / Sega CD library runs fine! :lol:  Kev did an amazing job of squashing bugs. 

Well, ehmm... O dont think that Bubble Bobble and Rastan are, by any means, obscure games. And they show bugs.

Same goes with Turbo Outrun on the Genesis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vanfanel said:

Well, ehmm... O dont think that Bubble Bobble and Rastan are, by any means, obscure games. And they show bugs.

Same goes with Turbo Outrun on the Genesis.

Analogue's official position is that the Mega SG supports Genesis games and that's it. That is what it's sold as.

 

Bubble Bobble & Rastan are SMS games.. i.e. which along with Colecovision support are free awesome bonus functionality from a jailbreak that Analogue & Kevtris do not support and *ahem* have nothing to do with. I personally don't see much to complain about really.

 

Sure the clouds in Turbo Outrun could be fixed, but again it's really up to you if that's a deal breaker. For myself and most others it's minor considering the undeniable majority of Genesis games (and yes, SMS & Colecovision) work great.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Analogue's official position is that the Mega SG supports Genesis games and that's it. That is what it's sold as.

 

Bubble Bobble & Rastan are SMS games.. i.e. which along with Colecovision support are free awesome bonus functionality from a jailbreak that Analogue & Kevtris do not support and *ahem* have nothing to do with. I personally don't see much to complain about really.

 

Sure the clouds in Turbo Outrun could be fixed, but again it's really up to you if that's a deal breaker. For myself and most others it's minor considering the undeniable majority of Genesis games (and yes, SMS & Colecovision) work great.

 

I kinda agree with you on the Colecovision. But the SMS cartridge adapter comes in the Mega SG box, supposedly supported. And since they’ve been saying they will also sell cart adapters for SG-1000/3000, MyCard and Game Gear (all very similar to the SMS core)… I don’t think they can really avoid providing support on the SMS side as well unless they want the cart adapters to land like a wet thud and just not sell because the SMS core wasn’t up to the same quality as the Genesis core. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol you're right. I totally forgot about the SMS adapter. I had the Super NT in mind so that's what I get for typing out of my ass. :lol:     That said, it's a thing whether the bugs appear on the original cart vs. ROMS loaded via the Jailbreak... e.g. like the Hardball 95 bug which apparently works fine when an original cart is used.  So we'll see. Kev has fixed a bunch of bugs to date, but there's always stragglers. Bottom line is it's up to you whether it makes a difference or not. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanfanel said:

Well, ehmm... O dont think that Bubble Bobble and Rastan are, by any means, obscure games. And they show bugs.

Same goes with Turbo Outrun on the Genesis.

Rastan's issue is only with FM audio.  If you use original PSG audio it sounds fine.  Its been known that the FM implemenation needs work in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My point was precissely that: SMS is supported, as the SMS adapter was included with my MegaSG (and I think every MegaSG since).

So I would prefer proper SMS support (Bubble Bobble at least. Its really a basic SMS classic! For Rastan FM audio, well... I *hope* it can be fixed too)

Thing is, the MiSTer SMS implementation sounds good on Rastan nowadays, and Bubble Bobble does not hang. So I hope MegaSG is no less! (I love them both anyway, and treasure both)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I ask what video settings do you people use on Mega Sg (HDTV) for Mega Drive, SMS and GG games? Resolutions used per platform as well as scalers. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tip.

One more thing: I have installed the latest jailbreak firmware on Mega Sg and everything works like a charm except Colecovision. Whenever I try to load a Coleco ROM (after having chosen the Coleco core), I get the message "Cannot load BIOS". Any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Molteno said:

Thanks for the tip.

One more thing: I have installed the latest jailbreak firmware on Mega Sg and everything works like a charm except Colecovision. Whenever I try to load a Coleco ROM (after having chosen the Coleco core), I get the message "Cannot load BIOS". Any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
 

Do you have the BIOS files, and have them where they are needed to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the BIOS only for the Mega CD, but every other system works perfectly without any extra BIOS (GG, SMS, GEN). Can someone advice if Coleco needs an additional bios file?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, F34R said:

Do you have the BIOS files, and have them where they are needed to be?

Seems you are right. I just read the jailbreak documentation and Colecovision is the only system that requires a proper BIOS for the games to run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Molteno said:

I have the BIOS only for the Mega CD, but every other system works perfectly without any extra BIOS (GG, SMS, GEN). Can someone advice if Coleco needs an additional bios file?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
 

I'd have to even open mine up to test it lol, but I'm just assuming it's needed if it's telling you that it can't load it, and you don't have it.

 

edit:  we posted I guess at the same time lol.  

Edited by F34R
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...