Jump to content
kevtris

FPGA Based Videogame System

Interest in an FPGA Videogame System  

607 members have voted

  1. 1. I would pay....

  2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

  3. 3. Games Should Run From...

    • SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...



Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Molteno said:

Seems you are right. I just read the jailbreak documentation and Colecovision is the only system that requires a proper BIOS for the games to run.

Make sure you get the "No Delay Bios" for Colecovision.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did, the firmware documentation mentions though that some games may be incompatible with the no-delay bios. I played around 5 games and works fine so far.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to get the Mega Sg to read ColecoVision carts instead of roms if someone were make a 30 to 64 pin cartridge convertor?

Then the Mega Sg truly would be the Phoenix killer. 

 

 

On 7/18/2019 at 7:03 AM, SegaSnatcher said:


Analogue replied to someone via Twitter and no they aren't accepting pre-orders right now.  

Krikzz needs to upgrade that old GG Everdrive.  Its still flash based which = much slower loading times. 

Looks like that was back on June 5th, unless there was a newer reply that I missed. 

Flash is fine for the Everdrive GG. The average time to load a GG rom is about 7 seconds. They are tiny. 

 

Edited by spoonman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Would it be possible to get the Mega Sg to read ColecoVision carts instead of roms if someone were make a 30 to 64 pin cartridge convertor?
Then the Mega Sg truly would be the Phoenix killer. 
 
 
On 7/18/2019 at 7:03 AM, SegaSnatcher said:
Analogue replied to someone via Twitter and no they aren't accepting pre-orders right now.  

Krikzz needs to upgrade that old GG Everdrive.  Its still flash based which = much slower loading times. 

Looks like that was back on June 5th, unless there was a newer reply that I missed. 

Flash is fine for the Everdrive GG. The average time to load a GG rom is about 7 seconds. They are tiny. 

 
That would be really cool, can someone confirm if only a physical convertor is required for something like that to work?

Let's not forget that officially the Mega Sg does not support Colecovision though.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spoonman said:

Would it be possible to get the Mega Sg to read ColecoVision carts instead of roms if someone were make a 30 to 64 pin cartridge convertor?

Then the Mega Sg truly would be the Phoenix killer. 

It would work if Sirtvek has the pins enabled while you are in Coleco mode.   No way to tell unless someone releases a cart adapter.

The reason why Analogue could never officially support Coleco core with cart adapter is because Colecovision requires a Bios.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Molteno said:

Let's not forget that officially the Mega Sg does not support Colecovision though.

No one's forgetting that. At least I don't think so.

 

20 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

It would work if Sirtvek has the pins enabled while you are in Coleco mode.   No way to tell unless someone releases a cart adapter.

The reason why Analogue could never officially support Coleco core with cart adapter is because Colecovision requires a Bios.

I have a feeling the jailbreaker ;) knows if this is possible. 

 

I figured the fact that we got the CV core was likely due to that. Analogue can't sell it. And we likely aren't getting the 2600 core in the Mega Sg, because that can be sold.

 

If there was a way to play ColecoVision carts on the Megs Sg I'd likely use it more for that than for playing Genesis / Mega Drive games. 

The ColecoVision was the first console that I played where I really started appreciating video games. They had amazing arcade ports for their time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, spoonman said:

No one's forgetting that. At least I don't think so.

 

I have a feeling the jailbreaker ;) knows if this is possible. 

 

I figured the fact that we got the CV core was likely due to that. Analogue can't sell it. And we likely aren't getting the 2600 core in the Mega Sg, because that can be sold.

 

If there was a way to play ColecoVision carts on the Megs Sg I'd likely use it more for that than for playing Genesis / Mega Drive games. 

The ColecoVision was the first console that I played where I really started appreciating video games. They had amazing arcade ports for their time.

 

Yeah if you need cart and original controller support then the Phoenix is probably worth checking out, otherwise Mega SG does a great job with Coleco roms using a Genesis controller.  I personally use the M30 2.4Ghz.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 6:43 AM, Kosmic Stardust said:

Any word on the pin adapters? I want a game gear adapter for my mega sg.

Analogue is apparently still content to post useless GIFs on their social media accounts rather than provide product updates for their customers I guess.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

Analogue is apparently still content to post useless GIFs on their social media accounts rather than provide product updates for their customers I guess.

This is sadly true. I have both the Analogue consoles (SNT and MegaSG) and the MiSTer, and the opensource implementations of the MegaDrive/Master System and SNES are WAY better by now, in every aspect. Even basic Master System games fail to function properly on the MSG (I have to use the MiSTer to play Bubble Bobble!!), and there is zero feedback from Analogue regarding this.

In the opensource world, these issues reported would have been fixed in a matter of days or hours, and without a business behind it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is sadly true. I have both the Analogue consoles (SNT and MegaSG) and the MiSTer, and the opensource implementations of the MegaDrive/Master System and SNES are WAY better by now, in every aspect. Even basic Master System games fail to function properly on the MSG (I have to use the MiSTer to play Bubble Bobble!!), and there is zero feedback from Analogue regarding this.
In the opensource world, these issues reported would have been fixed in a matter of days or hours, and without a business behind it.
I have tried many SMS games and they worked like a charm on Mega Sg, using jailbreak 7.5. In which games did you encounter issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Molteno said:
32 minutes ago, vanfanel said:
This is sadly true. I have both the Analogue consoles (SNT and MegaSG) and the MiSTer, and the opensource implementations of the MegaDrive/Master System and SNES are WAY better by now, in every aspect. Even basic Master System games fail to function properly on the MSG (I have to use the MiSTer to play Bubble Bobble!!), and there is zero feedback from Analogue regarding this.
In the opensource world, these issues reported would have been fixed in a matter of days or hours, and without a business behind it.

I have tried many SMS games and they worked like a charm on Mega Sg, using jailbreak 7.5. In which games did you encounter issues?

As I mentioned, Bubble Bobble. And FM sound on Rastan stinks, too, while its perfect on the opensource Master System core. Both games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vanfanel said:

This is sadly true. I have both the Analogue consoles (SNT and MegaSG) and the MiSTer, and the opensource implementations of the MegaDrive/Master System and SNES are WAY better by now, in every aspect. Even basic Master System games fail to function properly on the MSG (I have to use the MiSTer to play Bubble Bobble!!), and there is zero feedback from Analogue regarding this.

In the opensource world, these issues reported would have been fixed in a matter of days or hours, and without a business behind it.

What makes MiSTer Genesis way better than Mega SG?   The MiSTer SNES is pretty darn good though, but the Genesis core still needs some work.  Audio isn't as good as Mega SG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanfanel said:

As I mentioned, Bubble Bobble. And FM sound on Rastan stinks, too, while its perfect on the opensource Master System core. Both games.

MiSTer's FM for SMS still has its inaccuracies too in general.  There is no highly accurate SMS FM core right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SegaSnatcher:

 

Current SNES and Genesis cores for MiSTer are far better than those in the MegaSG. Current as in "the versions available today", not some months ago.

-MiSTer SNES core has support for expansion chips (FX, SA-1, DSP, etc). PPU, CPU and SPU implementations are mostly flawless by now.

-MiSTer Genesis support sounds as good as the INCREDIBLY GOOD MegaSG implmentation nowadays. No difference, nothing. Sounds the same (with less options, thats true). It was not true months ago: now its just as perfect as the MegaSG implementation. And we have SVP support, too!

-Master System core for MiSTer has great FM audio. Again, current versions, not versions from months ago. It plays RASTAN fine with FM audio. And Bubble Bobble works perfectly on the MiSTer, too. No stalls/pauses/hangs. (Its not ordinay Master System game, its Bubble Bobble....)

Thing is, I had to pay A LOT for Analogue machines (customs, DHL or whatever they used for delivery...). I love their design. And I hope their firmware would be as good or better than the opensource implementations. But I can not deceive myself anymore: the opensource implementations are better as things are. Being an opensource lover, anyway, I am happy that things came to this, but... I wish Analogue could finish what they so nicely started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vanfanel said:

@SegaSnatcher:


-MiSTer Genesis support sounds as good as the INCREDIBLY GOOD MegaSG implmentation nowadays. No difference, nothing. Sounds the same (with less options, thats true). It was not true months ago: now its just as perfect as the MegaSG implementation. And we have SVP support, too!

-Master System core for MiSTer has great FM audio. Again, current versions, not versions from months ago. It plays RASTAN fine with FM audio. And Bubble Bobble works perfectly on the MiSTer, too. No stalls/pauses/hangs. (Its not ordinay Master System game, its Bubble Bobble....)

Thing is, I had to pay A LOT for Analogue machines (customs, DHL or whatever they used for delivery...). I love their design. And I hope their firmware would be as good or better than the opensource implementations. But I can not deceive myself anymore: the opensource implementations are better as things are. Being an opensource lover, anyway, I am happy that things came to this, but... I wish Analogue could finish what they so nicely started.

1, Obviously this will be subjective and without any good audio comparisons gonna be hard to prove one way or another.

2. Ace didn't seem all that impressed with either Mega SG or MiSTer's SMS FM implementations and he's the Sega audio expert. 

Mega SG still has some bugs no doubt, but its still highly compatible with vast majority of games and the JB really makes an already great product even better.  

I have general interest in the MiSTer but I think it still needs some work for the cores that I'm interested in.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in the MISTer project too, but there doesn't seem to be much information regarding the quality of the cores. I'm mostly just interested in the NES, SNES, and Genesis at this point in my life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ashenshards said:

I'm interested in the MISTer project too, but there doesn't seem to be much information regarding the quality of the cores. I'm mostly just interested in the NES, SNES, and Genesis at this point in my life. 

Yeah thats the problem I have with it too.  Nobody is really doing any detailed video comparisons of MiSTer vs original hardware or other clones.  

A couple people I trust tell me SNES core is really good as far as consoles are concerned, but I'm iffy about the state of NES and Genesis cores right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

1, Obviously this will be subjective and without any good audio comparisons gonna be hard to prove one way or another.

2. Ace didn't seem all that impressed with either Mega SG or MiSTer's SMS FM implementations and he's the Sega audio expert. 

Mega SG still has some bugs no doubt, but its still highly compatible with vast majority of games and the JB really makes an already great product even better.  

I have general interest in the MiSTer but I think it still needs some work for the cores that I'm interested in.


 

2. Ace has tested the FM core before the latest modifications. As its today, the FM core on the MiSTer is better than the MSG implementation. Test it and you will see. Months ago, things were different. Now I can play RASTAN with FM sound on the MiSTer, and Bubble Bobble. I can NOT play those properly on the MSG.

 

The NES core is just awesome. Perfect. Do yourself a favor and test it. But test CURRENT VERSION, not versions from months ago.

As for Genesis, its on the same level as the MSG one, just with added SVP support.

 

Dont be afraid of the MiSTer. Test it with current core versions. You will fall in love with it. And if you have Analogue products, you will get upset because so many things work on the (luckily) opensource cores and not on the Analogue consoles.

 

Edited by vanfanel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vanfanel said:

2. Ace has tested the FM core before the latest modifications. As its today, the FM core on the MiSTer is better than the MSG implementation. Test it and you will see. Months ago, things were different. Now I can play RASTAN with FM sound on the MiSTer, and Bubble Bobble. I can NOT play those properly on the MSG.

I'll definitely talk to Ace and see if he's changed his opinions about it.  Perhaps he's been busy with other things and hasn't tested latest releases yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TerraOnion says that MegaSD will support Virtua Racing's SVP chip soon.

 

Wish I could place an order on their site, but my bank doesn't want to send money to Europe over the internet. Had this problem when ordering a Mega Sg, too. :(

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you referring to the odd freezing bug in Bubble Bobble (which doesn't seem to happen with the actual EU cart) on the Mega SG? Bubble Bobble doesn't have FM sound. The implementation for FM on the Everdrive X7 seems to be more accurate than the Mega SG for a few games.

 

Edit: read a few previous posts. Definitely the freezing bug. I hope that Mark III/SG-1000 adapter gets released soon so I can test with the JP version of Bubble Bobble. I got the same odd freeze using the Mega Everdrive X7 too.

Edited by BrianC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 9:02 AM, mario64 said:

Well based on what we saw with Super NT Analogue will quickly move Kevtris on to their next product so don't expect much in terms of firmware updates past the 6 month mark

 

That's what I dislike about commercial products. Updates and new features often have a limited window of time they're active. Then that's it. No more.

 

OTH open-source projects or non-commercial products can have a really long lifespan. Updates and bug-fixes can continue happening years after the first release.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keatah said:

 

That's what I dislike about commercial products. Updates and new features often have a limited window of time they're active. Then that's it. No more.

 

OTH open-source projects or non-commercial products can have a really long lifespan. Updates and bug-fixes can continue happening years after the first release.

 

This is why I hope opensource alternatives will take over, and these commercial closed-source alternatives get what they deserve. I had high hopes for the Analogue products, but I am VERY disapointed with them leaving the products buggy and unfinished in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, vanfanel said:

This is why I hope opensource alternatives will take over, and these commercial closed-source alternatives get what they deserve. I had high hopes for the Analogue products, but I am VERY disapointed with them leaving the products buggy and unfinished in the end.

You do realize you are saying this in Kevtris's thread right?  So you want Kevtris to be out of a job because of something out of his control?  Look I'm with you that it'd be nice if they took a bit more time per console release to sort out bugs, but to say you wish Analogue "gets what they deserve" is absolutely ridiculous, especially knowing how that could effect Kevtris who is busting his ass working on these projects.  Anyways, last I heard he was working on Super NT firmware, so its not like they totally abandon older projects firmware.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...