2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

To plug the Mega SG or Super NT into the CRT of your choice. It's not for me, but I get why someone might be into it.

Why buy a Super NT or Mega SG then?  Isn't it's purpose to let you SNES & Genesis on LCD's in HD?  Why no just use an original system for cheaper than $199 for the system & $79 for the DAC?

There must be some other purpose for the DAC, right?

4 minutes ago, zwooky said:

Why buy a Super NT or Mega SG then?  Isn't it's purpose to let you SNES & Genesis on LCD's in HD?  Why no just use an original system for cheaper than $199 for the system & $79 for the DAC?

There must be some other purpose for the DAC, right?

I think it's really intended for people who already own SNT/MSG for modern TVs but also have CRT they want to use it with.

With that in mind:

- Getting clean analog out of OG SNES hardware requires very specific revisions and/or mods, and that total cost might exceed DAC cost

- Only need to own one of each system

- You get built in advantages of Analogue consoles like rom loading via JB, etc

• Like 2

I do wish the output was broken out individually instead of through that VGA plug but oh well.  Monoprice sells pretty cheap cables if anyone is curious about what cables to buy.  Analogue lists them as an option for use with the DAC.  Retro access has a VGA to scart cable listed and would probably be able to make whatever you want (like VGA to component or whatever, really) but they are more in line with their other offerings as far as price and quality.  I assume ebay has chinesium stuff as well.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360033732531-Analog-Video-Cables-for-Analogue-DAC

I wish this cable below worked but it doesn't with the Nt Mini and probably won't with the DAC I am guessing.  When using many models of PVM with the recommended monoprice cables you have to leave one of the sync cable just dangling which I don't like but this 4 BNC connector cable doesn't work.  I assume it is the way the sync is wired.  One person says it is an RGBS cable which I thought the Nt Mini could support: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=10203&cs_id=3010604&p_id=568&seq=1&format=2#QuestionsandAnswers

Edited by Toth

Question for Kev. Has the DAC been tested on the Nt Mini? I know it seems kinda silly to ask since the Nt Mini already has analog, but if someone were already using an HDMI switch into the DAC for their SNt and MSg for instance, you could cut down on cabling by just plugging the Nt Mini in via HDMI to the switch, and then into the DAC as well.

I read the write up on retrorgb, and I have to agree with the comments. Pretty expensive when shipping and needed cables are factored in. Too expensive for me anyway (not that I have a choice... evil words will come from the spouse if I ever drag a CRT into the house).

On the other hand, there are not too many solutions if one wants to play Analogue's consoles on a CRT. True, you have to find the right SNES, the rgb video and sound qaulity from a stock Genesis bothers some people, etc, so to some, the expense might be worth it.

7 hours ago, Enragedwhale said:

No cables included?

No mention of 32X support? 

Think I’ll wait for them to be out in the wild and see if there is any quirks to the 32x comparability before I pick one up. Also as PedroTFP said hopefully the cart adaptors aren’t far off so I can combine postage.

Looks promising though!

Kevtris announced in My Life in Gaming’s DAC Stream that he has the 32X working with the Analogue Mega Sg. It will require the DAC and a custom mixing cable. 32X hardware support is extremely difficult because of the way its analog video is mixed back to the Genesis. Kev has confirmed that Doom and SmokeMonster Afterlife RPG are tested and working.

4 hours ago, Toth said:

I do wish the output was broken out individually instead of through that VGA plug but oh well.  Monoprice sells pretty cheap cables if anyone is curious about what cables to buy.  Analogue lists them as an option for use with the DAC.  Retro access has a VGA to scart cable listed and would probably be able to make whatever you want (like VGA to component or whatever, really) but they are more in line with their other offerings as far as price and quality.  I assume ebay has chinesium stuff as well.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360033732531-Analog-Video-Cables-for-Analogue-DAC

So will the video via Analogue DAC and cheap analog Monoprice component cables look better than a model 1 Genesis w/ high quality HD Retrovision component cable? That's what I'd like to know before buying a DAC + cables.

I was also quoted $25 shipping on the DAC, yet the Mega Sg only cost me $15 shipping. Isn't the DAC much lighter and smaller in comparison? Not a deal breaker, but kind of weird.

The Genesis is known for it's high quality RGB output, so if you have those nice Retrovison cables, I don't think there will be a huge visual difference. However, you'll have a lot of sound options, the ability to play Master System and Game Gear games, jailbreak, etc.

Like I said upthread, not for me, but may make a lot of sense in someone's setup. I think I'd be more interested in the DAC if I had the Super NT.

The Genesis is known for it's high quality RGB output, so if you have those nice Retrovison cables, I don't think there will be a huge visual difference. However, you'll have a lot of sound options, the ability to play Master System and Game Gear games, jailbreak, etc.

Like I said upthread, not for me, but may make a lot of sense in someone's setup. I think I'd be more interested in the DAC if I had the Super NT.
Huh?

The Genesis is known for being a minefield of different hardware revisions with some of the most desireable versions (like non-TMSS HD Graphics version) also being known for video jailbars that can't be rectified even with serious modding (only diminished).

The Genesis is a perfect example of why someone might want this. ;)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spoonman said:

Kevtris announced in My Life in Gaming’s DAC Stream that he has the 32X working with the Analogue Mega Sg. It will require the DAC and a custom mixing cable. 32X hardware support is extremely difficult because of the way its analog video is mixed back to the Genesis. Kev has confirmed that Doom and SmokeMonster Afterlife RPG are tested and working.

So will the video via Analogue DAC and cheap analog Monoprice component cables look better than a model 1 Genesis w/ high quality HD Retrovision component cable? That's what I'd like to know before buying a DAC + cables.

I was also quoted $25 shipping on the DAC, yet the Mega Sg only cost me $15 shipping. Isn't the DAC much lighter and smaller in comparison? Not a deal breaker, but kind of weird.

I don’t see any mention of 32x support on the DAC product page nor any mention of this custom mixing cable so I consider both to be vaporware at this point. However, if indeed 32x support materializes does this mean we have to purchase yet another item in addition to the DAC?

Edited by mario64

I don’t see any mention of 32x support on the DAC product page nor any mention of this custom mixing cable so I consider both to be vaporware at this point. However, if indeed 32x support materializes does this mean we have to purchase yet another item in addition to the DAC?
Pretty sure they expect you to DIY the 32X cables, hence "custom." With the pinout it shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure someone makes a female SCART to Gen2 cable, so just cut a VGA cable and wire it into a male SCART connector (assuming Monoprice doesn't already have a DSUB to SCART cable).

Actually, now that I think about it, the Gen2 didn't exactly output SCART spec so the 32X isn't expecting SCART spec. It might be more complicated than I thought. Hmm.

Is there any chance that the DAC will allow you to plug in other devices with non-raw data output (Raspberry Pi, NES Classic Edition, Genesis Mini, AVS, etc..) and output to 240p component? If so this would could give much more value to the general consumer. I'm on the fence with it now. I was planning on buying it to get the 32X working on the Mega Sg (even buying the 3D printed spacer, but I was also expecting there to be some pass through cables to get along with it. So if it were to work with other devices I may own I might still buy it. 

4 hours ago, spoonman said:

Oh I know it works in theory but I was expecting Analogue to promote the 32X support in the preorder. 2 confirmed working games is vague enough for me to hold fire until someone else (mlig) (DFretro) fully tests it.

Bob at RetroRGB says the RGB output is perfect (I was expecting as much) but I wonder if it still will be after the 32X spits it out?

Edited by Enragedwhale
To save on multiple posts

4 hours ago, CZroe said:

Pretty sure they expect you to DIY the 32X cables, hence "custom." With the pinout it shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure someone makes a female SCART to Gen2 cable, so just cut a VGA cable and wire it into a male SCART connector (assuming Monoprice doesn't already have a DSUB to SCART cable).

Actually, now that I think about it, the Gen2 didn't exactly output SCART spec so the 32X isn't expecting SCART spec. It might be more complicated than I thought. Hmm.

Yes. If indeed 32x support was intended for this product I would expect it to be at least mentioned if not promoted on the product page and user manual. I would also expect this custom cable to either be included or available for pre order as well. Neither of these has happened so, again, for me 32x support is just vaporware

21 minutes ago, mario64 said:

Yes. If indeed 32x support was intended for this product I would expect it to be at least mentioned if not promoted on the product page and user manual. I would also expect this custom cable to either be included or available for pre order as well. Neither of these has happened so, again, for me 32x support is just vaporware

If you splice the Genesis minidin cable with the Analogue DAC out, it should absolutely work. 32x already works with Mega SG; it just cannot output video.

10 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

Genesis is pretty decent stock, but them jailbars, or as Kevtris likes to call them "Failbars".   

Also, notice you have a MP-10 in your profile pic, you a member at TFW2005?  I just bought a TE-01. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

Yes. And they're not $25 to ship... ?

Considering what Bob said about the size and weight of the DAC I think we can safely assume they will be!

To be fair it DAC is showing $35 shipping to me in the UK which isn’t horrible but I fully understand why you stateside guys and girls are frustrated!

9 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

If you splice the Genesis minidin cable with the Analogue DAC out, it should absolutely work. 32x already works with Mega SG; it just cannot output video.

We’ll see. I for one don’t consider a requirement to splice cables as a viable commercial product. Most people won’t have a clue how to do that. If they intend on officially supporting 32x it should be publicly stated, included in the user manual and the necessary cable(s) should be available for purchase. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sbeehive said:

Hey guys,

Has anyone tested whether or not you can use an hdmi-splitter to have both the Super NT and Mega SG connected to the DAC at the same time?

Not as far as I know. I think it will depend on the hdmi splitter. The fancier it is, the less likely it is to work. The old mechanical style switchers from monoprice will probably work though.

edit: something like this: 360941.jpg

Edited by cacophony

22 minutes ago, cacophony said:

Not as far as I know. I think it will depend on the hdmi splitter. The fancier it is, the less likely it is to work. The old mechanical style switchers from monoprice will probably work though.

edit: something like this: 360941.jpg

I was thinking that too but we can't really be sure without someone having tested it. I'm surprised one of the talking heads on Youtube hasn't tested that yet.