Jump to content
kevtris

FPGA Based Videogame System

Interest in an FPGA Videogame System  

668 members have voted

  1. 1. I would pay....

  2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

  3. 3. Games Should Run From...

    • SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...



Recommended Posts

What you are going to read is probably going to scandalize 99% of the people here and I promise this is not a provocation from my side, but I do NOT care about jailbreak. So, if it doesn't have jailbreak, I won't be unhappy about it.

 

Of course, it is a bonus which I would rather have as an option, but the lack of jailbreak is not a dealbreaker for me.

 

I care about having the best NES FPGA money can buy (and, fact is I trust Kevtris more than anybody else for FPGA console emulation) and I am so PUMPED to have placed my order the second I saw the mail coming to my mailbox. This made my day. Really. I read and reread the order confirmation mail so many times before coming back here for the latest gossips.

 

Now, I only miss the adapters for the Mega Sg and I will be full. My DAC is also preordered (still available for interested people) with two B&O CRTs ready for it and now, I am saving money for the Pocket, but I hope they will give us some time, because this last Nt Mini batch is quite heavy on the price.

Also, I would rather had a plastic and cheaper version, like the Super Nt and Mega Sg, or even having them offering a Famicom colored edition like they did for the Analogue Nt (which I sadly missed), but well, as long as I have the FPGA working, it's fine for me. Finally, this closes the regrets I had selling my second batch gold Analogue Nt, but because of space, money and future proofing concerns, I decided to concentrate on FPGA stuff for consoles, so, yeah, happy day!

Oh, and, while I am not the last to point out Analogue shortcomings – and various are they –, this time, I am really grateful to Analogue to have made the effort of producing another batch of their most sought after console. THANK YOU ANALOGUE AND KEVTRIS.

Edited by Slipard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RetrogamerX said:

This is the last Nt mini,  The last model where going for 2k   These will go for 4k-5k once sold out. 

Why would you say that? They may very well sell more during this pre-order than at any previous point. So whatever demand is, supply will be up to satisfy it. Now....perhaps after the Pocket hits there will be another group of people that find out about this and NEED to have it, but I wouldn't plan on prices staying at their current levels or getting back to that point for quite a while. That said I already own a Mini and ordered this one anyway just in case there is some feature (like with the software maybe) that hasn't been announced yet that I'll want. If prices get crazy again I'll prob sell one, so I certainly won't mind if they do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, atmn said:

AND updated UI. Something with the software has been changed.

 

Remembered that Kevtris said once that he ran out of gates or something on the NtM and he had choosen another FPGA if he could pick again.

I can very well be wrong.

 

Its a big question tho, will V1 and V2 have compatible firmwares..

I know on the Hidef nes he had to remove interpolation to fix some stuff because of needing more gates.  Maybe it was the same with the nt mini?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toth said:

Looks like an improved cart slot and different UI.  The question is whether or not the firmware is the same or if the components are different and require a different firmware.  If it requires a different firmware it is possible this could get updates/fixes or features that wouldn't be ported to the original.  It is also possible this could get jailbroken but no extra cores.  Only one or two people know right now and they ain't tellin'.

If it does have a different firmware that isn't backwards compatible due to hardware, I doubt the jailbreak would have all the old cores. However, if those changes allow for interpolation and we still get rom loading, then I would consider this a win. I'd prob just move my old Mini to my CRT setup and use this new one on my flat screen. I am also hoping that whatever work Kev has done on the Pocket and all the GB cores will be implemented in the Nt Mini jailbreak as there were several problems with games on GB and GBC. Here's to hoping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why would you say that? They may very well sell more during this pre-order than at any previous point. So whatever demand is, supply will be up to satisfy it. Now....perhaps after the Pocket hits there will be another group of people that find out about this and NEED to have it, but I wouldn't plan on prices staying at their current levels or getting back to that point for quite a while. That said I already own a Mini and ordered this one anyway just in case there is some feature (like with the software maybe) that hasn't been announced yet that I'll want. If prices get crazy again I'll prob sell one, so I certainly won't mind if they do!
Analogue says it. "One final run." Also says it's "limited quantities."

I consider this confirmation that Analogue 8 will have an NES cartridge slot. They didn't redesign it for a "limited" MFG run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CZroe said:

Analogue says it. "One final run." Also says it's "limited quantities."

I consider this confirmation that Analogue 8 will have an NES cartridge slot. They didn't redesign it for a "limited" MFG run.

That's an interesting thought....not sure that's true, but it doesn't hurt to hope I guess. Seems to me that with all that is involved with another Nt Mini run that they'd just as soon skip it if our hoped for Analogue 8 is imminent, especially now that the DAC is out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Analogue says it. "One final run." Also says it's "limited quantities."

I consider this confirmation that Analogue 8 will have an NES cartridge slot. They didn't redesign it for a "limited" MFG run.

 

Might depend on "redesign". If redesign is "we found a more appropriate edge connector and used it", then maybe not as much of a guarantee. But if it's an Analogue special like the GG connector, then I'd agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Enragedwhale said:

Right decided to do the sensible thing and not preorder a mini. Being the weirdo cartridge fetishist I am, I believe I’d only be gaining 1080p but losing interpolation when compared to my AVS. If I ever go back to a CRT I’d just dig out my RGB modded NES.

 

Presumably those 8 bitdo controllers will be for sale separately?

 

I hope there is enough that everybody who missed out can get one this time 👍

They can be purchased (pre-order at the moment) on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08536LMXN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, atmn said:

AND updated UI. Something with the software has been changed.

 

Remembered that Kevtris said once that he ran out of gates or something on the NtM and he had choosen another FPGA if he could pick again.

I can very well be wrong.

 

Its a big question tho, will V1 and V2 have compatible firmwares..

"Nt mini v2 features a new and perfected NES cartridge slot, updated UI, branding, packaging, and includes a new 8BitDo 2.4g controller for NES in the box. Otherwise it's the same Nt mini you know and love. Available one last time. Better than ever."

 

Reading this I came in conclusion that what's is inside is the same fpga, same design, etc. Maybe the new UI will be compatible with v1 and v2 machines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I preordered a V2 Mini.
 

Kevtris spent the most time on his FPGA recreation of the Famicom/NES.  It is the most accurate recreation of the Famicom/NES and it supports every both analog and HDMI.

 

Apparently Kevtris spent considerable effort to ensure the composite output is a completely faithful reproduction of the composite video output by an OEM NES.  I actually plan on playing this using composite on a big 32-inch chonker CRT.

 

I’ll also play it over HDMI on my 65-inch LG E9 OLED. It has only around 5ms more lag than a CRT.  I am torn between the classic composite CRT look and the crisp look of HDMI OLED.

 

Edited by Jagasian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jagasian said:

I’ll also play it over HDMI on my 65-inch LG E9 OLED. It has only around 5ms more lag than a CRT.  I am torn between the classic composite CRT look and the crisp look of HDMI OLED.

The E9 has roughly 15ms of display latency, so it'll be about a frame behind a CRT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RetrogamerX said:

I hope they ship early July or sooner?  I'll be away for a few weeks end of july?  

Not that it means much but the DAC shipped around Feb 4th and the adapters shipped around the 12th but can't remember exactly what the site said for estimated ship date.  It's possible the DAC said January?  I doubt they know at this point.

Edited by Toth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to place an order but it says the items added can't be shipped to your address. Remove the items to complete your order. I use Microsoft Edge on a laptop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, colecocara said:

I tried to place an order but it says the items added can't be shipped to your address. Remove the items to complete your order. I use Microsoft Edge on a laptop?

 

Others had this issue.  Try chrome or use your phone to place order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hyrulebr said:

"Nt mini v2 features a new and perfected NES cartridge slot, updated UI, branding, packaging, and includes a new 8BitDo 2.4g controller for NES in the box. Otherwise it's the same Nt mini you know and love. Available one last time. Better than ever."

 

Reading this I came in conclusion that what's is inside is the same fpga, same design, etc. Maybe the new UI will be compatible with v1 and v2 machines.

 

This is the most likely scenario IMO, but you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on Reddit is claiming that Kevtris answered some question in Discord. The only takeaway so far is that the current version of the Jailbreak can be installed on the V2, which kind of confirms that no new hardware is present in the machine. If interpolation wasn't possible on the V1, we're probably not getting it here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 5:52 AM, spoonman said:

My main gripe with the Analogue Nt Mini, aside from them being out of stock for years now, was how unstable the NES carts were.

This has been addressed with improved NES cart connector and now in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cosmic Owl said:

I believe I’d only be gaining 1080p but losing interpolation when compared to my AVS.

 

I just bit the bullet and ordered one (please see the classifieds 'For Sale or Trade'  where my left kidney is listed), so is there a refresher course on "interpolation" and what it does, why it is not on the thing I spent half a grand on, and why that matters?  I am not concerned, nor upset in any way- just curious.  I consider my purchase a scientific donation to the future of FPGA, and to especially support Kevtris and his work. I think I paid less shipping for this than the DAC.

 

I am overjoyed that Drunk_Caterpillar confirmed jailbreak compatibility by Kevtris just a moment ago!  I may be the only one that just bought the world's most expensive Atari 7800 that also plays the historic oddball cores and of course the NES. What an expensive way to play Duck Hunt finally.

Edited by seastalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, seastalker said:

 

I just bit the bullet and ordered one (please see the classifieds 'For Sale or Trade'  where my left kidney is listed), so is there a refresher course on "interpolation" and what it does, why it is not on the thing I spent half a grand on, and why that matters?  I am not concerned, nor upset in any way- just curious.  I consider my purchase a scientific donation to the future of FPGA, and to especially support Kevtris and his work. I think I paid less shipping for this than the DAC.

 

I am overjoyed that Drunk_Caterpillar confirmed jailbreak compatibility by Kevtris just a moment ago!  I may be the only one that just bought the world's most expensive Atari 7800 that also plays the historic oddball cores and of course the NES. What an expensive way to play Duck Hunt finally.

Interpolation is only needed if you are playing on a flat panel and not using an integer scale. Due to the pixel width not being an exact match for the pixel widths of your TV the pixels are unevenly sized and it causing a distracting flickering effect when the screen scrolls. 
 

Using an exact integer scale solves this but then you get square pixels which results in an incorrect aspect ratio as on a real NES played on a 4:3 CRT the pixels are wider than they are tall.

 

Interpolation subtly blurs the pixel edges and this reduces the flicker effect a great deal at the expense of a little softness to the image.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...