2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Just now, simonbelmont78 said:

Ok. I'll try again but their representative told me to contact Sega.

The customer support staff at Sega probably doesn't even know what a Genesis is. Anyway, I'm not sure if you noticed my edit, so be sure to update your firmware to the latest version if you didn't already. Also open it and clean it. The controller, not the system.

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The customer support staff at Sega probably doesn't even know what a Genesis is. Anyway, I'm not sure if you noticed my edit, so be sure to update your firmware to the latest version if you didn't already. Also open it and clean it. The controller, not the system.

Yes exactly. I feel this bug should be reported as it's stated All genesis controllers work. it's updated to the most recent version. It's been checked on my model 1 v7 board. It works fine on there.

7 minutes ago, simonbelmont78 said:

Yes exactly. I feel this bug should be reported as it's stated All genesis controllers work. it's updated to the most recent version. It's been checked on my model 1 v7 board. It works fine on there.

If it works on real hardware it should work on the Mega Sg. Make a video, send it to them, and maybe also report it here

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/issues

Actually, about that "all controllers work" thing... has anyone here tried the Sega Action Chair with the Mega Sg?

Edited by Steven Pendleton

21 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

I'm in Pittsburgh....where is the fulfillment center?

It's in Nevada near Las Vegas IIRC. People on the West Coast are all paying ~$20. edit: It looks like my Mega Sg shipping was $17 but the Super Nt was $23. The Nt Mini (bigger and heavier) was $23 (v1) and $26 (v2).

Edited by cacophony

13 minutes ago, cacophony said:

It's in Nevada near Las Vegas IIRC. People on the West Coast are all paying ~$20. edit: It looks like my Mega Sg shipping was $17 but the Super Nt was $23. The Nt Mini (bigger and heavier) was $23 (v1) and $26 (v2).

Well for what it's worth I've sorta come to peace with the BS shipping costs, but since I've acquired a MiSTer recently (and am very happy with it), I'll be giving any future purchases from Analogue a bit more thought. I'll still be looking to get a Pocket, but we'll see where they go from there. I've not been thrilled with their support either for what it's worth....

Edited by jamon1567

12 minutes ago, Slipard said:

I don't like portable video game systems, but I must say the Pocket is something I wanna buy, especially with the dock feature.
It seems really cool, IMHO.

That's where I'm at too. I plan on using my MiSTer in my game room with my CRT's and still have all the Analogue stuff in my living room with my flatscreen, so even though the GBA core on MiSTer is pretty nice, I still have a use for the Pocket. Hoping some other stuff get's ported over to it too, but past the Pocket I'm not sure where they go or if it's something I'll be interested in. Time will tell.

PS1 is still too fresh for not having problems with Sony.

N64's internal were leaked; as such, it is also too fresh for not arise suspicions, although some hints point at the fact that very well could be the next thing.

PC Engine would be nice to have and I believe it will eventually be done. It is very easy to do and given the price of original hardware and games and the quality of these, I believe Analogue has enough momentum to pick customers interest.

Edited by Slipard
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

If it works on real hardware it should work on the Mega Sg. Make a video, send it to them, and maybe also report it here

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/issues

Actually, about that "all controllers work" thing... has anyone here tried the Sega Action Chair with the Mega Sg?

He's on v4.7 of the official Analogue firmware and it tested OK on an original model 1 Genesis. 

Has anyone actually tested a Model 3 Genesis controller on the Mega Sg? I have a model 3, but it's currently in storage so I can't test it. Analogue seems pretty sure of themselves that the Mega Sg "Works will all 1st and 3rd party games and accessories", so it would be interesting if this didn't work with it. And perhaps, if true, it could be fixed if bugs are still being addressed. 

For reference, this is the controller in question.

genesis3padfront.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Slipard said:

I ask them PC Engine.

Then N64.

Then Neo-Geo.

Then, I am full.

A consumer priced FPGA capable of running N64 games is likely several years away. Maybe by then It'll actually be worth it. N64 systems are still cheap to buy.

It's also one of the few consoles which benefits more from increased texture resolution via software emulation. Even an UltraHMDI modded N64 can't come close to looking as good as one with HD upscaled textures. 

As a side note I don't think any emulator or hardware creator would even consider touching the leaked N64 Verilog source. It would be an instant lawsuit from Nintendo with very pricey consequences. 

9 hours ago, Slipard said:

PS1 is still too fresh for not having problems with Sony.

N64's internal were leaked; as such, it is also too fresh for not arise suspicions, although some hints point at the fact that very well could be the next thing.

All PS1 and N64 patents are expired. The physical hardware of these two platforms is in the public domain.

And any company making a system that plays these libraries was always going to have to make their own bios file, carefully avoiding infringing on the originals. The copyrights won't run out for many decades and there's no such thing as waiting until they think it's safe to just steal the copyrighted originals for any company being ran by intelligent leadership.

And some supposedly knowledgeable individuals are saying this Nintendo leak has been blown way out of proportion and has information of only limited usefulness. While I haven't seen what was leaked and I'm not in a position to judge it even if I had, here's on such article I've seen along those lines in recent days. 

Edited by Atariboy

5 hours ago, spoonman said:

He's on v4.7 of the official Analogue firmware and it tested OK on an original model 1 Genesis. 

Has anyone actually tested a Model 3 Genesis controller on the Mega Sg? I have a model 3, but it's currently in storage so I can't test it. Analogue seems pretty sure of themselves that the Mega Sg "Works will all 1st and 3rd party games and accessories", so it would be interesting if this didn't work with it. And perhaps, if true, it could be fixed if bugs are still being addressed. 

genesis3padfront.jpg

Thanks.  After I did some more checking into I was finally able to use the controller test.  the A button is constantly on. I wonder if its a side effect of the built in turbo feature?

Edited by simonbelmont78

59 minutes ago, simonbelmont78 said:

Thanks.  After I did some more checking into I was finally able to use the controller test.  the A button is constantly on. I wonder if its a side effect of the built in turbo feature?

It probably will make no difference, but try the force 3 button mode option if you haven't already.

14 hours ago, spoonman said:

It's also one of the few consoles which benefits more from increased texture resolution via software emulation. Even an UltraHMDI modded N64 can't come close to looking as good as one with HD upscaled textures.

That's a good point, but the N64 is kinda unique in that it's like the ultimate party system. Four player Mario Kart, GoldenEye, Mario Party etc etc. Perfect for any living room, and not something that is necessarily just relegated to your game room.

14 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'd rather have Saturn than anything else. SuperGrafx with a built-in disc drive is a close second place.

I would like a Saturn too, but it has less mass market appeal (along with PCE for that matter) than PS1 or N64, so I don't think it's as likely. I would also add that if they do a PCE, it would be assumed that it would have SuperGrafx support, and it would also have to have CD support since that is where most of the more coveted titles reside. If they released that at $189.99, I would buy it, but I don't see that being the direction they go. And Kev has already said before that he was turned off to PCE because the collectors in that crowd gave him a bunch of shit. In fact, if that hadn't happened, we may have already had a PCE core for the Mini years ago :(

Edit: I should have added that it's unlikely that we get a PCE from Analogue that has any CD support outside of just allowing you to attach the actual peripheral just like the Mega Sg. I think Kev would find a way to fit SuperGrafx into the system, but without built in CD functionality, it's a no go for me, and prob a lot of others. Too many good games, too few CD units and too expensive for what is out there.

Edited by jamon1567

10 hours ago, Atariboy said:

All PS1 and N64 patents are expired. The physical hardware of these two platforms is in the public domain.

And any company making a system that plays these libraries was always going to have to make their own bios file, carefully avoiding infringing on the originals. The copyrights won't run out for many decades and there's no such thing as waiting until they think it's safe to just steal the copyrighted originals for any company being ran by intelligent leadership.

And some supposedly knowledgeable individuals are saying this Nintendo leak has been blown way out of proportion and has information of only limited usefulness. While I haven't seen what was leaked and I'm not in a position to judge it even if I had, here's on such article I've seen along those lines in recent days. 

So that article seemed to be talking (at least mainly) about the Wii. Is it possible that the contents of the N64 dump have more?

genesis3padfront.jpg

I don't know where mine is but I'll gladly check if I can find it.

I would like a Saturn too, but it has less mass market appeal (along with PCE for that matter) than PS1 or N64, so I don't think it's as likely. I would also add that if they do a PCE, it would be assumed that it would have SuperGrafx support, and it would also have to have CD support since that is where most of the more coveted titles reside. If they released that at $189.99, I would buy it, but I don't see that being the direction they go. And Kev has already said before that he was turned off to PCE because the collectors in that crowd gave him a bunch of shit. In fact, if that hadn't happened, we may have already had a PCE core for the Mini years ago [emoji20]

Edit: I should have added that it's unlikely that we get a PCE from Analogue that has any CD support outside of just allowing you to attach the actual peripheral just like the Mega Sg. I think Kev would find a way to fit SuperGrafx into the system, but without built in CD functionality, it's a no go for me, and prob a lot of others. Too many good games, too few CD units and too expensive for what is out there.

What matters more than demand is feasibility, and PCE/TG is MUCH more feasible. PSX and N64 aren't just more complex, the FPGA required may not be feasible to include in a commercial product (almost definitely the case for N64 at this point in time).

Also, I would not write off actual CD support for an Analogue FPGA PC Engine. It may require and external CD-ROM, like a USB drive, but the CD-ROM for PCE/TG hardware is the most basic there is and literally the easiest to replicate. It's just a 1x CD-ROM and some RAM. Unlike Sega CD there is no special hardware to reverse engineer. It wouldn't even require a reverse-engineered BIOS since you can legit buy it on a card for $15-$25 and the thing would already have a card slot.

Analogue Super HETurbo System. :)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CZroe said:

Also, I would not write off actual CD support for an Analogue FPGA PC Engine. It may require and external CD-ROM, like a USB drive, but the CD-ROM for PCE/TG hardware is the most basic there is and literally the easiest to replicate. It's just a 1x CD-ROM and some RAM. Unlike Sega CD there is no special hardware to reverse engineer. It wouldn't even require a reverse-engineered BIOS since you can legit buy it on a card for $15-$25 and the thing would already have a card slot.

Analogue Super HETurbo System. :)

Couple things. With the Pocket having no release date in site, I'm not sure we're on the yearly release schedule anymore, so that gives them some time to work on a PS1 or N64. Also, if they make a PCE with CD support, it damn well better have the CD drive built in. One of the reasons I buy their products (and especially now with the MiSTer maturing) is that they're plug n play and aesthetically pleasing. I don't want some mess with an external CD-ROM in my living room. And while the Mega Sg could get away with not having CD support based upon the strength of the standard Genesis lineup and the not as strong CD library, PCE cannot IMO.

That said, I don't have any CD titles anyway, so what I would really be buying it for is CD functionality built in so that I can just load everything via SD from a future jailbreak. And even if I did have a CD collection, having the drive built in is a must.

Edited by jamon1567

Couple things. With the Pocket having no release date in site, I'm not sure we're on the yearly release schedule anymore, so that gives them some time to work on a PS1 or N64. Also, if they make a PCE with CD support, it damn well better have the CD drive built in. One of the reasons I buy their products (and especially now with the MiSTer maturing) is that they're plug n play and aesthetically pleasing. I don't want some mess with an external CD-ROM in my living room. And while the Mega Sg could get away with not having CD support based upon the strength of the standard Genesis lineup and the not as strong CD library, PCE cannot IMO.

That said, I don't have any CD titles anyway, so what I would really be buying it for is CD functionality built in so that I can just load everything via SD from a future jailbreak. And even if I did have a CD collection, having the drive built in is a must.

Since we were talking about Saturn, PSX, and N64 as a new Analogue console, I didn't think we were talking about the Pocket ...even though I still think it would make more sense to do on the Pocket.

Along the lines of an external CD being very un-Analogue, well, they merely need to make a HuCard adapter and let the CD game support come from the "unofficial" jailbreak. Because the handheld isn't centered on the PC Engine it would not matter that the majority of the library can only be played unofficially. Because the CD side was always relatively simple and not at all like Sega CD (which was essentially a whole other console), it wouldn't be a ton of engineering work for a feature they can't officially market. Another option that avoids the uncharacteristic-for-Analogue external drive is having the ability to "install" games like the Polymega. For example, you pop the disc into your PC and transfer it to your Pocket using software. Granted, that may add some *software* engineering complexity. ;)

Also, for a dedicated PCE/TG consoles from Analogue (one can dream) an external drive doesn't have to be some random enclosure connected via USB. Enclosure-less disc drives have standard form factors and Analogue could just as easily accept one of those... perhaps even more easily than interfacing through USB. If they were making a dedicated disc console they could deliver on the Polymega's tease of a disc-based multi-platform FPGA clone console. I could imagine a brushed aluminum base with a sleek slot-load drive and modules for PCE, Saturn, PSX, Neo Geo CD (+AES/MVS with JB), etc. People might call it a rip-off but I would buy it over Polymega in a heartbeat.