2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Enragedwhale said:

Thanks for that, good to know it’s not just me.

I never play Master System games, so I don't know exactly what's broken for that system. I do eventually plan to play Sonic and maybe suffer through Phantasy Star if I can put up with it, but right now there is little for the system that interests me. SG-1000 Choplifter is really fun, though that doesn't really count.

1 hour ago, Enragedwhale said:

Speaking of issues has anybody else experienced screen tearing in MS games with 4.7? Tends to be when the scrolling vertically. Not sure if it was there in older firmwares but definitely seen it deep duck trouble and Bart vs the space mutants.

Yes, I have very evident tearing in SMS games, too.

My guess is that everybody has it, its just that most people dont care/notice, but well, after a year I really doubt we ever get to see a fix.

Got my DAC in today, and no luck getting it to work so far.   If anyone could tell me what could be the issue (monitor not supported?) I'd sure be grateful.

The issue -- I'm not getting any video signal.  I do have audio, but nothing on the screen.  Trying only with the 15 pin monitor, as I don't have any of the adapter cables yet.

-- I'm trying with Super NT and Mega SG.  Have tried newest official as well as newest JB Firmware.  

-- Using as Samsung Syncmaster 997df CRT --  Link to Specs if it helps

Not sure what other details to provide.  Both consoles work fine on HDMI screens.  The monitor works fine with other devices.  All cables are connected properly.  The console is getting power, and yep, I'm using the cable included since the manual said it's needed due to extra voltage.  So I'm at a loss.   That's the only CRT with the 15 pin that I have, so I don't have a way to try other screens with the DAC to determine if it's working properly, and/or just isn't compatible with that monitor.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

2 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Got my DAC in today, and no luck getting it to work so far.   If anyone could tell me what could be the issue (monitor not supported?) I'd sure be grateful.

The issue -- I'm not getting any video signal.  I do have audio, but nothing on the screen.  Trying only with the 15 pin monitor, as I don't have any of the adapter cables yet.

-- I'm trying with Super NT and Mega SG.  Have tried newest official as well as newest JB Firmware.  

Not sure what other details to provide.  Both consoles work fine on HDMI screens.  The monitor works fine with other devices.  All cables are connected properly.  The console is getting power, and yep, I'm using the cable included since the manual said it's needed due to extra voltage.  So I'm at a loss.   That's the only CRT with the 15 pin that I have, so I don't have a way to try other screens with the DAC to determine if it's working properly, and/or just isn't compatible with that monitor.

Try DAC into OSSC/Framemeister (if you have one of those) into HDMI just to see what happens.

Very few VGA monitors can sync 15khz (240p).

On 5/17/2020 at 9:46 AM, Enragedwhale said:

Does it do it in earlier firmwares? 

I have always seen it on the MegaSG, I cant remember when I first noticed it on a game.

At first I didnt care much, because initial firmwares can have small bugs, omissions, etc... but I am worried it will be left like that forever, after a year of the reports in github.

Thing is, we are not talking about poor hardware here like an ATGames, the MegaSG is supposed to be a premium product, yet it has tearing on Master System games and broken pixel blending after all this time. Oh God...

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:09 AM, XtraSmiley said:

Thanks, I assume that's on the Discord. I'm glad to hear it! Maybe I should jump in there for fresh news, since this thread seems to be going the way of Myspace...

I disagree. Discord isn't a replacement for a message board. It's a live chat. It's much easier to be able to read and search a thread for information, to bookmark and always know where it is, than trying to scour an endless Discord backlog. Message boards still have a good place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Discord is awful. Hate it. IRC is better than that. Even mIRC is better than that. I slap Discord around with a (rotten) trout.

Anyway, got my DAC. As always with Analogue, beautiful package, very small device, seems sturdy and all, very good job

Now waiting for adapters to be back on sale...

Edited by Slipard

On 5/17/2020 at 12:16 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Try DAC into OSSC/Framemeister (if you have one of those) into HDMI just to see what happens.

I don't have one of those, I'm afraid.   I did order the cables needed to test on other devices, so hopefully it'll be all good about the middle of the week.  Thanks, though!

On 5/17/2020 at 12:32 AM, CZroe said:
On 5/17/2020 at 12:13 AM, Razzie.P said:

Very few VGA monitors can sync 15khz (240p).

Ah, yeah, probably just my ignorance.  I'll be able to test on other devices later this week, so hoping for the best.

Got my DAC in today and it works and looks great on my PVM. It’ll be nice to give my original systems a break and free up some room while I’m at it. Being able to sync the DAC LED to the one on your Super NT or Mega SG is a nice touch too.

• Like 1

Am I the only person who wants to do Mega Sg + 32X -> DAC -> OSSC -> HDMI? I know that is kind of weird, but that's what I want.
Well, the Mega Sg has already been through the DAC before it goes into the 32X and when it comes out it's already analog. ;)

17 hours ago, blzmarcel said:

I disagree. Discord isn't a replacement for a message board. It's a live chat. It's much easier to be able to read and search a thread for information, to bookmark and always know where it is, than trying to scour an endless Discord backlog. Message boards still have a good place.

You can disagree all you want, but it's clear Kevtris was on the Discord recently and here, we have... not much. (info)

I prefer this forum a lot over Discord, but that doesn't mean where the info is headed. At leasts it's better than Twitter.

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You know what I mean! I think...

I suppose I'm the only person around here who actually cares about the 32X, though.

You are not alone and I perfectly understand what you mean. I was interested in being able to have an analog output for my consoles, but wasn't sure to order a DAC or not. Being able to play the 32X games with it is what sold the DAC to me.

And then, yeah, due to the way the 32X works, your setup should be OK, after some working towards the settings, just like with every console connected to the OSSC.

24 minutes ago, Slipard said:

You are not alone and I perfectly understand what you mean. I was interested in being able to have an analog output for my consoles, but wasn't sure to order a DAC or not. Being able to play the 32X games with it is what sold the DAC to me.

And then, yeah, due to the way the 32X works, your setup should be OK, after some working towards the settings, just like with every console connected to the OSSC.

Yeah, I just want a way to use my 32X on the Mega Sg on my PC monitor, which only has VGA and HDMI inputs. Converting digital to analog to digital is annoying and people will probably think I'm insane (and I am), but I do want to do it since I've been having difficulty getting the OSSC to give me a good picture with the Mega Drive + Super 32X combination. Genesis and Mega Drive games are fine, but 32X games are usually not. I was thinking it's probably due to how the systems both render separate things, and since the Mega Sg's video is supposed to be perfect or something, maybe it would help me get a nice picture with 32X games. I don't know if that's true, but I want to try it.

I could get the RAD2X, though, and I've been curious about trying it anyway, so that's another good option, as well, since I could use it with the 32X and a bunch of other systems since I'm guessing it should work with the HD Retrovision converter cables.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

On 4/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, CZroe said:

So I think this is how most clones categorize:

FPGA hardware clone

Fixed hardware clone

Emulation software clone

...or even fewer if you just want to call them "hardware clones" and "software clones" but then you sell FPGA short. atariage_icon_wink.gif

FPGA hardware clone = reconfigurable hardware configured to execute software natively without translation

Fixed hardware clone = hardware executing software natively without translation

Emulation software clone = software interpreting and adapting other software for non-native hardware

"Hardware clone" without specifying which really should be able to apply to FPGAs running a clone core as much as it applies to a traditional ASIC produced in volume. FPGA is just a non-"Application-Specific" ASIC* since it can be reconfigured in place ("Field Programmable") for a new "Application." ...like when you load a different core on your Nt Mini.

*Application-Specific Integrated Circuit

How about "logic clone" for FPGA systems, such as Analogue's, that replicate the logic of the original systems at the electronic level, as that would accurately describe what an FPGA is doing and it also kinda sounds cool, imho :)

• Like 1

How about "logic clone" for FPGA systems, such as Analogue's, that replicate the logic of the original systems at the electronic level, as that would accurately describe what an FPGA is doing and it also kinda sounds cool, imho :)
Sure, but it could apply to fixed chip clones too so "FPGA logic clone" and "traditional logic clone" where we need to distinguish. :)