Jump to content
kevtris

FPGA Based Videogame System

Interest in an FPGA Videogame System  

665 members have voted

  1. 1. I would pay....

  2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

  3. 3. Games Should Run From...

    • SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...



Recommended Posts

The BT Retro Receiver is really worth picking up imo, even as a backup controller option.  You can pair it with a bunch of controllers (like @Atariboy mentioned just above)... but also the Wiimote, which means you can then connect a SNES classic controller (or, alternately, a Raphnet adapter and genuine first-party controller).

 

For SFC/SNES, my favorite controller now is "BT Retro Receiver + Wiimote + Club Nintendo SFC Wii controller"

 

For FC/NES, I switch between the N30 2.4g and the RetroUSB wireless controller.  Both have their pluses and minuses, but are both good options.  I've ordered a NIB NES Classic controller, so I might go with the BT Retro Receiver+Wiimote combo for this also.

 

For MD/Genesis, I switch between then M30 2.4g and Krikzz controller.  Both of these are FANTASTIC options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newtmonkey said:

I've ordered a NIB NES Classic controller, so I might go with the BT Retro Receiver+Wiimote combo for this also

I’ve found the better option with the NES classic controller was to use the 8bitdo DIY kit.

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-kit-for-nes-classic-controller

Then you don’t need to use the Wiimote.

 

They also make these kits for SNES classic controllers:

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-kit-for-snes-classic-controller

 

And original NES and SNES controllers among others.

Edited by SlCKB0Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ricdeau said:

I got the SF30 2.4Ghz controllers to replace the awful SF30 bluetooth controllers I got with my Super Nt. They have been extremely good so far.

I’ve found the SF30 2.4ghz controllers to be fine as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like how the 8bitdo controllers handle diagonals (even the latest controllers), so I think I'll stick with the Wiimote + classic controllers.

 

It's not as noticeable when playing platformers, but shooters like Life Force really show how inaccurate the dpads can be on the 8bitdo controllers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2021 at 10:30 PM, newtmonkey said:

I don't like how the 8bitdo controllers handle diagonals (even the latest controllers), so I think I'll stick with the Wiimote + classic controllers.

 

It's not as noticeable when playing platformers, but shooters like Life Force really show how inaccurate the dpads can be on the 8bitdo controllers.

it's not just the diagonals, but the whole way their dpads handle. I think direction reversals are just the worst on them. They seem to love d-pads that press flat in the center for whatever reason. I'm guessing the pocket's controls are being done by 8bitdo, but I'll still reserve some judgment for handling that thing.

 

I've been binging on usb controller purchases for a recent MiSTer purchase, and have bought 5 of 8bitdo's various current ones, since the current line seems to have lower latency than most controllers. Not one single winner in the bunch--m30 got about the closest, and their tg16 model actually hurts me. I'm not sure lower latency means much compared to a D-pad that feels better, so I'm going to start trying the generally-laggier retro-bit units in their place. There's no good way to measure the extra lag caused by a d-pad being incompatible with my thumb.

Edited by Reaperman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, SlCKB0Y said:

I’ve found the better option with the NES classic controller was to use the 8bitdo DIY kit.

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-kit-for-nes-classic-controller

Then you don’t need to use the Wiimote.

 

They also make these kits for SNES classic controllers:

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-kit-for-snes-classic-controller

 

And original NES and SNES controllers among others.

Any noticeable lag using those kits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gamemoose said:

Any noticeable lag using those kits?

from what I understand those kits come in worse than most controllers generally, and more specifically slower than most 8bitdo controllers (link)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, newtmonkey said:

I use an OLED for gaming.  My workload tends to fluctuate a lot, so I don't play games every day... but when I do have some free time I tend to get addicted and will play games on it for 2-3 or even 4 hours a night.  I usually play older games, so that means there are always UI elements on-screen as well as the black bars on the side due to the 4:3 aspect ratio.  I've had no burn-in whatsoever in 2.5 years, so no complaints there.

 

Games look absolutely stunning on an OLED, people I think tend to underestimate or maybe not realize how much an accurate black level contributes to overall image quality (also for movies).  Like @XtraSmiley said, the color, contrast, brightness, motion, it's all amazing.

 

I have a perfectly calibrated Sony PVM monitor/TV in my office I got specifically for playing old console games several years ago, but I haven't touched it since getting my OLED back in 2018.  The OLED TV is just that good.

As a follow up to this, I still haven't had any issues caused by gaming... BUT just a month ago I began noticing some very bad image retention on the upper left corner of the screen caused by logo graphics on a news station.  My wife watches the news in the morning while getting ready for work, so maybe an hour a day on weekdays.  I also have the video calibrated for reduced brightness, etc., so this should not happen in only three years of use.

DSC_0609.thumb.JPG.23d46c3484546b3e2a83eb0e3bafe0dc.JPG

 

I contacted support and they replied that the TV appears to be failing, and repairing it will cost "around 200,000 yen" (roughly $2,000)! They have got to be joking.  I can get a 2021 model Sony OLED TV of the same size for 150,000 yen brand new, or a 2020 model LG OLED TV 10" larger for the same price.  They also send their response from an "outgoing only" email address, so you cannot even reply to them.  Absolutely horrible service.

 

It's only noticeable on pure red screens, which hardly ever occur in movies or even games, so it's not completely ruined.  I understand they did "something" to prevent this from happening in their newer models, but who knows what will happen to those 3 years from now... but I will definitely not be buying anything from LG in the future.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

As a follow up to this, I still haven't had any issues caused by gaming... BUT just a month ago I began noticing some very bad image retention on the upper left corner of the screen caused by logo graphics on a news station.  My wife watches the news in the morning while getting ready for work, so maybe an hour a day on weekdays.  I also have the video calibrated for reduced brightness, etc., so this should not happen in only three years of use.

DSC_0609.thumb.JPG.23d46c3484546b3e2a83eb0e3bafe0dc.JPG

 

I contacted support and they replied that the TV appears to be failing, and repairing it will cost "around 200,000 yen" (roughly $2,000)! They have got to be joking.  I can get a 2021 model Sony OLED TV of the same size for 150,000 yen brand new, or a 2020 model LG OLED TV 10" larger for the same price.  They also send their response from an "outgoing only" email address, so you cannot even reply to them.  Absolutely horrible service.

 

It's only noticeable on pure red screens, which hardly ever occur in movies or even games, so it's not completely ruined.  I understand they did "something" to prevent this from happening in their newer models, but who knows what will happen to those 3 years from now... but I will definitely not be buying anything from LG in the future.

lol that's a ripoff; you can buy 2/3 of a Japanese Neo Geo AES copy of Andro Dunos with that money! Still need to find another 100000 yen for it somewhere, though...

 

Anyway, being serious, I have a similar issue with the color red on my Trinitron in the upper left corner myself, except mine is some sort of discoloration that causes it to appear yellowish instead of image retention. Interesting that both of us have a problem with the color red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

As a follow up to this, I still haven't had any issues caused by gaming... BUT just a month ago I began noticing some very bad image retention on the upper left corner of the screen caused by logo graphics on a news station.  My wife watches the news in the morning while getting ready for work, so maybe an hour a day on weekdays.  I also have the video calibrated for reduced brightness, etc., so this should not happen in only three years of use.

DSC_0609.thumb.JPG.23d46c3484546b3e2a83eb0e3bafe0dc.JPG

 

I contacted support and they replied that the TV appears to be failing, and repairing it will cost "around 200,000 yen" (roughly $2,000)! They have got to be joking.  I can get a 2021 model Sony OLED TV of the same size for 150,000 yen brand new, or a 2020 model LG OLED TV 10" larger for the same price.  They also send their response from an "outgoing only" email address, so you cannot even reply to them.  Absolutely horrible service.

 

It's only noticeable on pure red screens, which hardly ever occur in movies or even games, so it's not completely ruined.  I understand they did "something" to prevent this from happening in their newer models, but who knows what will happen to those 3 years from now... but I will definitely not be buying anything from LG in the future.

I have had several Android phones with amoled screens over the years that end up looking similar within 2 years of use.  Typically it is the status bar area like where the clock, wifi icon, notifications icons are located.  It can also be seen where the onscreen buttons (back, home, recent) are located.  It is usually really noticeable on gray backgrounds.  My personal phone experience is why I don't want an OLED tv.  I keep TVs for 10+ years and someone telling me it will be fine and that current OLED tech is less susceptible isn't enough to get me to buy one. 

Edited by Toth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Toth

It's definitely made me wary.  I do have an OLED phone and haven't had any trouble with it, but I don't really use it for much other than listening to music and checking email.

 

People claim that the latest models of OLED TVs don't have much of an issue, but who knows what will happen 2-3 years from now?  Every review I read of my TV back in 2018 claimed you wouldn't have to worry about burn-in unless you left the TV on the same screen for days straight.  The Amazon reviews were all 5 stars.  Three years later, 30% of the reviews are 1 star with people complaining about burn-in and LG support asking for $2000 to fix a $2000 TV lol, or telling the customer they shouldn't have watched TV on it (lol).  Better not watch TV on your TV!  It will be interesting to see how the reviews change for the 2020 and 2021 models in a couple of years.

 

OLED looks amazing, but I think unless you are able to control its use 100% (i.e. are single and only use it to play games and watch movies), it's simply not worth the risk imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, narshe said:

I have 2 65" LG C9 TVs that I got over 2 years ago and haven't had an issue. They have a pixel refresher that I manually run from time to time. Looks like it should be running on it's own also though. https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/oled-tvs/oled-reliability/main.jsp

From what I read you should NOT run the pixel refresher unless you have too as it actually lowers the life of the pixels to even the out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2021 at 12:27 AM, Gamemoose said:

Any noticeable lag using those kits?

No more or less than any other Bluetooth solution. It really depends on the game you are playing and your sensitivity to lag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2021 at 12:35 AM, Reaperman said:

from what I understand those kits come in worse than most controllers generally, and more specifically slower than most 8bitdo controllers (link)

Some of those results seem very, very strange and contradict results I’ve seen elsewhere significantly. In at least one case there you’ve got the 2.4g variant being significantly slower than the Bluetooth variant of the same controller. Plus, the baseline for most of those 2.4g controllers is 2-3 ms higher than tests I’ve seen conducted by reputable sources elsewhere so I think it’s possible Mister is playing a part in some of these results vs performance on native hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know this place is kind of dead now or whatever, but what has better FDS and cartridge audio between the Nt mini Noir and the Famicom Everdrive Pro and why? Never used a real NES or Famicom or FDS or anything, so I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

So I know this place is kind of dead now or whatever,

Last post was on the 7th of this month. Not what I'd call dead.

 

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

but what has better FDS and cartridge audio between the Nt mini Noir and the Famicom Everdrive Pro and why? Never used a real NES or Famicom or FDS or anything, so I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like.

From what I've been hearing, both the Noir and higher end Everdrives can handle that. For the former, there are some menu options to adjust when using running from an SD card for cartridge audio.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even think anyone talked about the recent delay with the Pocket. It's sure a far cry from a few years ago when such news would warrant a few new pages of posts.

 

Is Discord buzzing about Analogue these days? Wasn't my style so I didn't stay subscribed long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

I don't even think anyone talked about the recent delay with the Pocket. It's sure a far cry from a few years ago when such news would warrant a few new pages of posts.

 

Is Discord buzzing about Analogue these days? Wasn't my style so I didn't stay subscribed long. 

The Analogue channels on the Classic Gaming discord are still very active. Kevtris is very active as well though he seems to spend all of his time in #amico-discussion

Edited by cacophony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cacophony said:

The Analogue channels on the Classic Gaming discord are still very active. Kevtris is very active as well though he seems to spend all of his time in #amico-discussion

Getting off topic here, but I am very curious... Is Kevtris pro or anti Amico?  Don't want to open a whole discussion up, just curious to know for my own intrigue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, blzmarcel said:

Last post was on the 7th of this month. Not what I'd call dead.

Yeah, this place is pretty dead.

 

10 hours ago, blzmarcel said:

From what I've been hearing, both the Noir and higher end Everdrives can handle that. For the former, there are some menu options to adjust when using running from an SD card for cartridge audio.

Yeah, but that doesn't answer my question... which one has better audio?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything "OLED" including AmorphousOLED are still in the early stages relative to the progress that's been made.

Whereas LCD and QuantumDot have advanced more than expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Getting off topic here, but I am very curious... Is Kevtris pro or anti Amico?  Don't want to open a whole discussion up, just curious to know for my own intrigue.

From what I can tell, it's a place to hang out and poke fun at Amico related news or developments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I don't even think anyone talked about the recent delay with the Pocket. It's sure a far cry from a few years ago when such news would warrant a few new pages of posts.

I think everyone's just already used to it.. Maybe no one cares about Analogue's delays anymore since they already take forever by default. :lol: Everyone just files it back into their dormant memory until: 1. A solid release date and 2. Product in hands. THAT's when discussion will happen. 😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...