IGNORED

Cheapest (and best) Rare Games

catbox_9

I was recently inventorying my video game collection and noticed that even though I have hundreds of games, none of them are rare. I'm not attempting to collect every game out there, but I'd like to get some rarer ones - nothing I have is rarer than an R5 at the moment (Beat 'em and Eat 'em, Crypts of Chaos, and Piece o' Cake).

So with that said, what is the cheapest R6, R7, R8, R9, and R10 game out there?

While I'm at it, what's the best R6, R7, R8, R9, and R10 game if they were all the same price?

For the sake of this discussion, I'm only intersted in Atari 2600 games.

Edited by catbox_9

For my money, Rescue Terra I, Quadrun, Q*bert's Qubes, Crazy Climber, Bumper Bash, Atari Video Cube and the Starpath games are all excellent.

Pengo, Frogger II, and Tapper are all R6s. You can probably find any of them for $15-20

Thanks!

So far it looks like we've got...

BEST:

R6:

R7: Atari Video Cube

R8: Crazy Climber

R9: Rescue Terra I, Quadrun, Q*berts Qubes, Bumper Bash

R10:

CHEAPEST:

R6: Pengo, Frogger II, Tapper

R7:

R8:

R9:

R10:

Anyone have some games to fill in the blanks?

For the best:

Cakewalk, Bumper Bash, Q*Bert's Qubes (R9)

Boing!, Crazy Climber (R8)

Demolition Herby, Up 'n' Down (R7)

The Official Frogger, Tapper, Road Runner (R6)

Most of the R10 games are label variations or non-games (like Birthday Mania and Magicard) or promotional hacks (Pepsi Invaders, Atlantis II) or just crap. Of the actual unique games, Music Machine is probably the best.

As for the cheapest, this year I picked up Pengo for $10 and Frogger II for $5, but those were both on the cheap side for those games.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

For the best:

Cakewalk, Bumper Bash, Q*Bert's Qubes (R9)

Boing!, Crazy Climber (R8)

Demolition Herby, Up 'n' Down (R7)

The Official Frogger, Tapper, Road Runner (R6)

Most of the R10 games are label variations or non-games (like Birthday Mania and Magicard) or promotional hacks (Pepsi Invaders, Atlantis II) or just crap. Of the actual unique games, Music Machine is probably the best.

As for the cheapest, this year I picked up Pengo for $10 and Frogger II for $5, but those were both on the cheap side for those games.

Awesome, thanks! I checked eBay and there's just BINs for all the cheap R6's mentioned and they're all in the $35 range so I'll probably hold off.

So obviously R7-10s will cost more, but what are some of the cheaper ones of those.

And now the updated list...

BEST:

R6: The Official Frogger, Tapper, Road Runner

R7: Atari Video Cube, Demolition Hurby, Up 'n' Down

R8: Crazy Climber, Boing!

R9: Rescue Terra I, Quadrun, Q*berts Qubes, Bumper Bash, Cakewalk

R10: Music Machine

CHEAPEST:

R7:

R8:

R9:

R10:

I would have to agree with Cakewalk, Qubes, Rescue Terra I, and Bumper Bash. I would add Mangia as the top R10 just because it is so awesomely weird. How can you beat a pixelated stomach explosion from eating too much? You can't.

Would also add Asterix to the R10 list for both decent games (even though it is just Taz with a different character) and affordability.

Awesome, thanks! Now I'm starting to have some games to look out for on eBay. Completed auctions show that the BIN prices are too high on most of them. There is a Frogger II with a starting bid of $10 (0 bids, 3 days left) but the label isn't too great.

BEST:

R7: Atari Video Cube, Demolition Hurby, Up 'n' Down

R8: Crazy Climber, Boing!

R10: Music Machine, Mangia, Asterix

CHEAPEST:

R7:

R8:

R9:

R10: Asterix

Watch out for PAL games, because you can still find true treasures for little money. ;)

but i am sure, you are only hunting for ntsc games.

my opinion for the cheapest (if you mean the AA rating scale)

R6: Ram It

R7: Demolition Herby

R8: Rubik's Cube

R9: Quadrun (supposed to be)

R10: Copy Cart (VidCo)

I think there's real merit to the Avalon Hill games Death Trap (R8) and Shuttle Orbiter (R7). No idea what they go for these days, but they're both interesting and ambitious games.

Watch out for PAL games, because you can still find true treasures for little money. ;)

but i am sure, you are only hunting for ntsc games.

my opinion for the cheapest (if you mean the AA rating scale)

R6: Ram It

R9: Quadrun (supposed to be)

R10: Copy Cart (VidCo)

Thanks for the input. And copy cart! Wow, I've never heard of that until just now. That's so cool. I can't believe something like that exists. And yes, I'll stick with NTSC games as there's already more of them than I can ever collect.

Updated list...

BEST:

R7: Atari Video Cube, Demolition Herby, Up 'n' Down, Shuttle Orbiter

R8: Crazy Climber, Boing!, Avalon Hill, Death Trap

R10: Music Machine, Mangia, Asterix

CHEAPEST:

R9: Quadrun

R10: Asterix*, Copy Cart

*I just noticed Asterix has a PAL version that's an R5. I'll leave it on the list since I'm looking at NTSC games. If any game has NTSC label variations of different rarities, I would only consider the least rare option for these lists. I'm not sure I'd pay a premium for the exact same game just because the label is different.

Edited by catbox_9

*I just noticed Asterix has a PAL version that's an R5. I'll leave it on the list since I'm looking at NTSC games.

Yeah, be careful there. Asterix isn't all that uncommon over here. R5 may well be an overstatement. You can get it off german ebay for 2-5 euro in good condition, and some of those may well trickle west over the pond. If you see Asterix pop up on US ebay, make sure it's an NTSC cart before you bid.

Yeah, be careful there. Asterix isn't all that uncommon over here. R5 may well be an overstatement. You can get it off german ebay for 2-5 euro in good condition, and some of those may well trickle west over the pond. If you see Asterix pop up on US ebay, make sure it's an NTSC cart before you bid.

It doesn't even look like there's pictures of the NTSC cart, box, or manual on this site so that makes it even dicier if you aren't careful.

I'd have to say Gauntlet by Answer would be of the most fun to play R10 games.

I'll add that to the list!

Updated list...

BEST:

R7: Atari Video Cube, Demolition Herby, Up 'n' Down, Shuttle Orbiter

R8: Crazy Climber, Boing!, Avalon Hill, Death Trap

R10: Music Machine, Mangia, Asterix, Gauntlet

CHEAPEST: