IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Super Game Differences

Tempest

I thought I read somewhere that Nintendo wouldn't allow Coleco to make the Donkey Kong Super Game accurate to the arcade version. Is that a fact?

There are two situations that arose when Coleco announced plans for releasing the DK Super Game for the ADAM (computer format, not videogame console):

1) Atari had a shit fit and I assume threatened to sue Coleco (Atari loved to sue) seeing as they owned the rights to DK for the computer market and Coleco only owned the rights for the videogame market.

2) Nintendo did not have a problem with the DKSG being arcade accurate, what they had a problem with was Coleco wanting to take some creative liberties and add further to the game which would have included an entirely new 5th level. Nintendo won out on this front and the only thing that is known to exist of this proposed 5th level is a drawing by an artist or programmer.

These little hick-ups is why DKJR-SG ended up being completed first and I think also released first even though Nintendo shot down a 5th level for that game as well... but the unreleased version with 5th screen did find it's way out of Coleco and into everyone's hands.

• Like 1

2) Nintendo did not have a problem with the DKSG being arcade accurate, what they had a problem with was Coleco wanting to take some creative liberties and add further to the game which would have included an entirely new 5th level. Nintendo won out on this front and the only thing that is known to exist of this proposed 5th level is a drawing by an artist or programmer.

I'd love to see the mock up or at least get a description of what that level would be.

Didn't even know it existed but just looked it up on youtube ... :_( Does the collision detection not work on the plunger thingies... ?

It does, it's just that it's very off. The whole screen is a bit unpolished which seems to indicate (to me anyway) that it was scrapped before it was completely finished.

• Like 1

I'd love to see the mock up or at least get a description of what that level would be.

You always keep saying that and I always keep replying, "I would love to see it as well". :D

I think I passed along this bit of info to you before, but here it is again and hopefully I got this right seeing as I can't find the file where I have the info stored: Paul Jaquays (I think I spelled that right) was the lead programmer of DKSG and still is in possession of the hand drawn 5th level. I think Howard E. (former Coleco employee) might still be able to contact him (actually it's "her" now), but haven't seen Howard around the usual places anymore.

Unfortunately, it seems like those who worked at Coleco, especially on the CV & ADAM, just aren't as interested in these things unlike what you see with other retro systems.

• Like 1

"but the unreleased version with 5th screen did find it's way out of Coleco and into everyone's hands."

Didn't even know it existed but just looked it up on youtube ... :_( Does the collision detection not work on the plunger thingies... ?

The plunger colision detection is slightly off as far as I always thought, but the level is complete and is indeed polished. You really need to get to this screen while playing at skill level 3 or 4. On the higher skill levels, Mario does a number dropping pies at you, there are multiple dough monsters chasing you and once you get to a certain point, Mario scampers down to the bottom of the screen to shoot toast out of the toaster at you.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

You always keep saying that and I always keep replying, "I would love to see it as well". :D

I think I passed along this bit of info to you before, but here it is again and hopefully I got this right seeing as I can't find the file where I have the info stored: Paul Jaquays (I think I spelled that right) was the lead programmer of DKSG and still is in possession of the hand drawn 5th level. I think Howard E. (former Coleco employee) might still be able to contact him (actually it's "her" now), but haven't seen Howard around the usual places anymore.

Unfortunately, it seems like those who worked at Coleco, especially on the CV & ADAM, just aren't as interested in these things unlike what you see with other retro systems.

I have seen Janelle Jaquays at the past two CGE events in Las Vegas. About this time last year, she stopped by my booth where we were a big Coleco representative. I showed her a lot of respect and engaged her in conversation about working at Coleco. The truth is, she had an all-too-familiar story to tell about what it was like working there... One that most of us have thought about our own jobs most likely! She iterated that working there really wasn't all that great, they asked a lot of their employees, and I believe that she also inferred that they didn't pay too well. That's really all she had to say about working for Coleco. No real tales of excitement or wonder as we might imagine.

They are forbidden to tell the true story about the fully operational subterranean Coleco factory ... Only a certain phrase will invoke the joyous and magical truth ...

Wow, what's in this coffee ...whew ...

I have seen Janelle Jaquays at the past two CGE events in Las Vegas. About this time last year, she stopped by my booth where we were a big Coleco representative. I showed her a lot of respect and engaged her in conversation about working at Coleco. The truth is, she had an all-too-familiar story to tell about what it was like working there... One that most of us have thought about our own jobs most likely! She iterated that working there really wasn't all that great, they asked a lot of their employees, and I believe that she also inferred that they didn't pay too well. That's really all she had to say about working for Coleco. No real tales of excitement or wonder as we might imagine.

I have seen Janelle Jaquays at the past two CGE events in Las Vegas...

I've heard the same said by other former Coleco employees (just the grind and constant pressure to produce), but what I really meant with my post above is some of these people have saved things from those days, but for the most part, none of them really seem to care about it enough to share with a ravenous community that would be so grateful to hear from them and welcome them in here on AtariAge. I'm not saying they should give stuff away freely that they might still be in possession of, but how hard is it to share a picture or a description, or anything at all before the inevitability of things being lost forever due to many different reasons. Heck, Janelle showed up at the past two CGE events and who knows how many others, so she must have a little bit of interest in things that are going on in the retro community.

I guess "too each their own" as I understand fully that life can be busy and stressfull. Heck, I work a full-time construction job, been coaching baseball and basketball teams, etc., etc.,, but still find the time to check in here and stay in touch as well as help out as much as possible... if I didn't, all those years I spent with these wonderful systems would really be a waste in my mind.

Coleco adam dam busters with ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC9i1drUg8c

The ending is very nicely done.

Thanks for posting the link seeing as that was the first time I have even seen the final dam run, bomb drop and damaged dam cut screens... seeing as I never had the patience to play this game. I assume there might be different dam screens for the other two dams and IIRC, the ColecoVision cartridge version just displayed a congratulatory text screen, but it's been since the 80's since I played thru that one.

Yeah, that was the first time I have seen any of that, let alone the Dam Busters ending. I always thought the game consisted of flying for a minute or two and then crashing.

Thanks for posting the link seeing as that was the first time I have even seen the final dam run, bomb drop and damaged dam cut screens... seeing as I never had the patience to play this game. I assume there might be different dam screens for the other two dams and IIRC, the ColecoVision cartridge version just displayed a congratulatory text screen, but it's been since the 80's since I played thru that one.

• Like 1

If you have the data pack super game version of Dam Busters do the following...

1. Load the game

2. start the game. option 1 flight lieutenant, game will load

3 once loaded, take the tape out of the drive

4. press the * key on the keypad

5. enjoy the ending!

The graphics will be a bit off during the barrel rolling. Watch till the very end after the dam busts.

• Like 1

The plunger colision detection is slightly off as far as I always thought, but the level is complete and is indeed polished. You really need to get to this screen while playing at skill level 3 or 4. On the higher skill levels, Mario does a number dropping pies at you, there are multiple dough monsters chasing you and once you get to a certain point, Mario scampers down to the bottom of the screen to shoot toast out of the toaster at you.

So, the actual Super Game Pack as released does not have this level, correct?

BurgerTime

• Unknown

Front Line

• Looks like a completely different game from the demo

Gorf

• Unknown

These need to be made. I'm down to help 100%. I don't program anymore haven't in years...but I've produced and designed MANY titles in the last 17 years...i'd love to get these out...even if it was just for fun.

It's very possible that the 5th screen game code is actually in the commercially released game code, but Coleco programmers bypass access to it... would need someone with the skill set to do some detective work.

There were multiple versions of the 5 screen version and the earlier ones required a code to be entered in order for the 5th level to play and then eventually a version was made available that did not require a code and all the levels played seemlessly.