IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Super Game Differences

Tempest

Some differences for the Subroc Super Game

- Animated title screen with classical music "Hebrides Overture" by Felix Mendelssohn

- each round ends with Mecha Octopus boss battle

- additional enemies: fireballs, missiles launched from water surface, green fighter planes

https://youtu.be/b0uJ1GIHwjA

The screen design/control panel from inside the SubRoc has been completely overhauled and enhanced in the Super Game version compared to the cartridge version.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Did they ship you an authentic Coleco Data Pack with original cassette and paper insert? These rarely come up on eBay, so I was wondering about what ANN carries in stock.

All original Donkey Kong case, paper and ddp. Last one I had I think, but as things are in limbo as I move this year, who knows. I don't collect any ADAM stuff strictly as originals, so was willing to part with it when asked. I DO like my ADAM's and all the stuff that goes with it and have some original things I won't part with at all, but some things can be sold along the way to other collectors. CHEERS

Just stumbled on this thread in killing some time this morning. A couple quick questions/thoughts...

Am I correct in understanding there are *3* distinct versions of DK from Coleco? The original pack-incartridge (plus a few revisions), the Adam Supergame, *AND* a Super Donkey Kong cartridge?

Also, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but didn't one of the supergames have an easter egg if you entered a certain name in the Hall of Fame? I seem to recall that from back in the day, along with the ability to clear the hall of fame by punching in a code, too.

That's all I've got. :) Happy Mother's Day, all!

Yes, Murph, there are 3 different versions of DK for "the Adam"...

1) the original pack-in cartridge with the CV. Original version was 24K that had some bugs and then a fixed/compressed version that is 16K in size was used starting in early 1983. For use on a CV or Adam in cartridge form.

2) the enhanced "super game" prototype version that was started when the ill-fated Coleco SGM was being developed. This version included a number of changes and enhancements such as the 4th screen - Mario's Pie Factory that had no sprite collision detection. For use on the CV and Adam in cartridge format.

3) the completed Super Game version that included all the bells and whistles of the arcade game (intro screen, intermissions, 4 levels, HoF, etc.). This version was released specifically for the Adam Computer on digital data pack, so no luck for CV only owner, but if you ask around........

To clear the Hall of Fame from any Adam Super Game, press 9 then 8 then 9 again on the Hand Controller when the HoF screen is displayed.

I did indeed purchase one from the good people at ann.hollowdreams.com - very fun! It's interesting that they kept the basic look the same while at the same time re-programming the entire game.

Having played with this version now a little, I am really enjoying it, but I notice that the sprite collision in this version seems... imprecise. The entire game, as compared to the "regular" pack-in cartridge version for the ColecoVision, is much more detailed, but choppier in its rendering and because of the imprecise sprite collision, less polished-seeming.

On the copy I received I have yet to successfully load the hi scores screen. I am OK with that so long as the game works - this is a 33 year old thing we're talking about - but a couple of times it also locked between screens. My fear is this is my fault, and not just natural wear-and-tear, because the first time I loaded the tape I put it in the tape loader and THEN turned the machine on. Stupid.

• 1 year later...

I do not think the Donkey Kong Super Game (nor JR) was rewritten from the ground up. It quite possibly was, but I have often wondered if the ColecoVision cart was actually a stripped down version of the "Super game". While there are many differences, there are many similarities. I understand the ColecoVision box has artist renditions of the game screens. I have always wondered if they had programmed more detail into the game upfront, but cut it back, due to memory or system limitations. This would make even more sense if they programmed it prior to deciding on it being the pack-in cart.

I was always disappointed that Donkey Kong didn't really "flex" and pound his chest, as the box had promised. Also gone was the fireball. Strangely, the top broken ladder was omitted. Has anybody ever noticed that the girders are kind of messed up on the top level? Is that from when they decided to remove the ladder, for whatever reason? Maybe they cleaned it up better on the Adam release. Even though the "black hole" (falling through the floor) Easter Egg is gone from the Adam, did anybody ever notice that it still has the weird ladder behavior? If you try to climb the ladder, it takes forever. If you stop and start again, Mario FLIES up the ladder. That is the same in the CV and Adam versions.

I also noticed that the ColecoVision box shows the barrels as "wobbly", when they go down the ladders. I thought that was an interesting animation, however, it's not present in the actual CV game. The Adam version has the wobbly barrels from the original ColecoVision box. Of course, it's possible somebody wanted to make the Adam version better match the original Coleco Box drawing, but it is also possible that the original version had wobbly barrels. That requires extra sprite frames and logic. Seems like a possible cut, to reduce cart space.

There's no way of knowing if it's chicken, egg, or somewhere in-between. Maybe Adam allowed original plans to be implemented. Maybe the many ColecoVision version glitches came from scaling the original down, in order to meet the ColecoVision limitations.

Thoughts?

post-50438-0-93566000-1489371194.jpg

• Like 1

Great thread! That reminds me...I've got a couple unopened copies of Zaxxon Supergame Pack in original packing (the cardboard arcade box) that I should probably put up on eBay.

EDIT: The game I would have loved to have seen made into a Supergame is Fortune Builder, though Spy Hunter would have been awesome, too.

Edited by MiniRPG

Was there any confirmation on War Games being any different than the CV cartridge version? One of my favorite all time games and would love to find the Adam version if it was different and what the differences are.

There's an ADAM version of War Games?

Interesting about an Adam version of War Games. Obviously there were ports to Commodore 64/Atari 8-bit by Coleco (both versions in the same box), but those were carbon copies (within each platform's technical variations) of the ColecoVision cartridge. I wonder if the Super Game would have done something like borrowed elements from War Room or simply added more flourishes? Guess we'll probably never know.