IGNORED

Any Good Reason To Own A Junior?

Airsoftman819

Okay, so I own a 4 switch Vader, A Light Sixer, and a Heavy Sixer. I mostly play my Vader due to it being a newer more reliable console. But also play my Heavy often, due to the better video quality. But my question is. Is it worth owning a Junior? They look cheap and ugly to me and it just seemed like Atari's last ditch effort to breath life into a dying console. Even though I do consider myself a collector of Atari 2600's. I still need a legitimate reason before I spend my money on a console. So is there a real reason to buy a Junior? Or am I good with what I already have?

I use the Junior in my entertainment center for the Big TV. It takes up a lot less space. Modded it for Composite output.

I've thought about having the composite mod done to my Vader. But I run my consoles through a VCR that has composite video out. So I get composite out of consoles. But I'm sure the straight AV mod would look a bit better because it negates the whole pass through thing.

Juniors are good due to being compact, but you don't get the best high quality out of it. But if you want to collect for the systems, sure pick one up. I personally don't like them myself. But I got it so I can have all the different variety of 2600 consoles. I prefer toggle switch systems personally; be a Heavy Sixer, Light Sixer, or 4 switch woody. I love the 70's look to it and that is what defines the Atari 2600.

I had all the other variants and picked one up because it was ten bucks. I did not regret it and spent a lot of the following months using it over my Light Sixer. Compact, fit nicely on the dresser in the bedroom, and the output looked good. If you can get one cheap, it's a great "beater" way to play 2600 games that takes up virtually no space. I'd almost always recommend another model over a Jr., but they're not without their merits, those dinky switches and little plastic clips be damned.

• Like 2

Juniors are good due to being compact, but you don't get the best high quality out of it. But if you want to collect for the systems, sure pick one up. I personally don't like them myself. But I got it so I can have all the different variety of 2600 consoles. I prefer toggle switch systems personally; be a Heavy Sixer, Light Sixer, or 4 switch woody. I love the 70's look to it and that is what defines the Atari 2600.

I have to agree. The Junior just doesn't have that 70's look that made the 2600 iconic. Not to mention the notably cheaper build quality. I might buy one just for the sake of collecting. Or maybe use it as a beater console. But as for collecting I'd rather have more rare consoles. Such as the Coleco Gemini. I'm just not sold on it. I'd have to run into one cheap.

• Like 1

Here is all of my systems. All cleaned inside and out and work perfect and flawless. I use the four switch woody system for my every use system. The only two remaining you need are the cheapest ones and easiest to get so you got the hard part done. It should be no more than 20 bucks for a bare Junior and 4 switch woody. You can even get them for 10 bucks at a flea market for both of these units. It pains me how high they sell these for on epay. They made two Junior models. The first one is the short rainbow whoch was from 1984-1986. These were supposed to come out with the 7800's original launch in 1984 but re-released in early 1986 during the major 7800 release. Then the long rainbow units were manufactured from 1986-1991. That is the one I don't have. Don't make a difference to me.

post-32978-0-28491700-1443140009_thumb.jpg post-32978-0-66555200-1443140024_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-64415100-1443140053_thumb.jpg post-32978-0-87335800-1443140079_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-11196300-1443140108_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

In all likelihood, something is out of spec in the shield/lid/motherboard assembly, or that assembly has been taken apart and reassembled not quite right. It can be fixed either way. See this post I just made.

My issue isn't the connector itself. But the bezel or the metal RF shielding. Because the actual plastic of the cart rubs and makes a tight fit. It actually leaves scuff marks on my games which is why I don't use the console. The molding of the metal shielding is very rough. I may just have a defective console. Because I've double checked it was assembled properly. And the motherboard has never been pulled out.

My issue isn't the connector itself. But the bezel or the metal RF shielding. Because the actual plastic of the cart rubs and makes a tight fit. It actually leaves scuff marks on my games which is why I don't use the console. The molding of the metal shielding is very rough. I may just have a defective console. Because I've double checked it was assembled properly. And the motherboard has never been pulled out.

Yes, the issue is always the opening in the shield, or rather, the opening's position relative to the plastic shroud around the card-edge connector. It can definitely be fixed. If all else fails, you can take a flat file to the inside walls of the cartridge opening in the cast aluminum shield. If the motherboard has never been pulled out, then it could have been assembled improperly at the factory. The two most important things to make sure of are that the motherboard is seated flush in the shield (there is something it can easily catch on, preventing it from seating flush; it isn't something you can tell at a glance; it is only about 1/16" difference between flush and not flush), and make sure that the motherboard isn't being flexed by the tightened two shield lid screws closest to the card-edge connector.

As I said in the post I linked to, you can also reposition the card-edge connector to a slightly more rearward position by removing the two screws which secure it to the motherboard, flexing it back a bit, and tightening the screws back down to hold it in that more rearward position. That worked for me until I got tired of doing it each time I disassembled it to that degree, and I finally enlarged the cartridge opening in the shield a bit with a flat file so that it all reassembles now with no fuss.

The only one of my consoles that has that issue is my Light Sixer. My Heavy Sixer and Vader fit all carts I've tried. I'm actually not the biggest fan of the Light Sixer. But it looks pretty lol.

I have the same issue with my light sixer as well no matter how many times I have tried to line up the cart slot. Some carts just refuse to go in smoothly.

I have a Jr. with an A/V mod and I am very happy with it. It's not as sturdy as the other Atari consoles but I think the quality is still good, certainly MUCH better than the NES with it's horrible cartridge connector and Bi-Polar 10-NES lockout chip. The only actual benefit I've found vs earlier VCS consoles is the small size which can be handy for certain applications, and it's 'cool' looking modern appearance that some folks might prefer. If you have a VCS already I think there is no reason to buy one, but also there is no reason to NOT buy one - it's really just an optional thing to collect.

Personally, I think you should consider getting a Sears Video Arcade II Atari clone with it's combination paddle / joystick controllers before getting the Jr. In my opinion it's much cooler than the Jr. and very unique.

Okay, so I own a 4 switch Vader, A Light Sixer, and a Heavy Sixer. I mostly play my Vader due to it being a newer more reliable console. But also play my Heavy often, due to the better video quality. But my question is. Is it worth owning a Junior? They look cheap and ugly to me and it just seemed like Atari's last ditch effort to breath life into a dying console. Even though I do consider myself a collector of Atari 2600's. I still need a legitimate reason before I spend my money on a console. So is there a real reason to buy a Junior? Or am I good with what I already have?

I have the same issue with my light sixer as well no matter how many times I have tried to line up the cart slot. Some carts just refuse to go in smoothly.

I find that the only games that have issues are later games made by Atari. The specs on the carts are just different enough to cause an issue. I believe it's due the the metal RF shielding being a bit out of spec. Might have to take a file to it to smooth it out as I was advised to do. Although I haven't done it yet.

I have a Jr. with an A/V mod and I am very happy with it. It's not as sturdy as the other Atari consoles but I think the quality is still good, certainly MUCH better than the NES with it's horrible cartridge connector and Bi-Polar 10-NES lockout chip. The only actual benefit I've found vs earlier VCS consoles is the small size which can be handy for certain applications, and it's 'cool' looking modern appearance that some folks might prefer. If you have a VCS already I think there is no reason to buy one, but also there is no reason to NOT buy one - it's really just an optional thing to collect.

Personally, I think you should consider getting a Sears Video Arcade II Atari clone with it's combination paddle / joystick controllers before getting the Jr. In my opinion it's much cooler than the Jr. and very unique.

Funny you should mention the Arcade II. I've been wanting to get a hold of one. Along with a Coleco Gemini. They would be much better additions to my collection anyway. Due to their rarity.