IGNORED

Price of Rayman lately

AdeptRapier

What's up with Rayman for the Jaguar lately? I thought I way overpayed when I bought my copy but it seems now that game has just been shooting up and up in price. I cannot even find a copy for under $175 anywhere.

Wow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004S4XCS6/keywords=atari+jaguar+rayman

not exactly cheap at a minimum of 94 shipped, still your anywhere is a little off!

It's sad the retro game craze and price inflation has taken the fun out of collecting for me.. I used to love being able to pick up a Jag game that I couldn't afford when it was released. I'm 10 games away from a complete collection but the games I need are priced way beyond what I'm willing to pay. Props to those who can afford these prices but I've been taken out of the collecting game.

^ Really, you're not out anything, but you may have gained something… a more expedient lesson in growing up and forced maturity with emphasis on prioritization. Hopefully. You'll realize sooner than later there's no real need to "collect them all", unless… (I'm *almost* there getting it myself) :rolling:

• Like 6

I want Sylphia for the PC Engine Arcade CD and Zenki for the PC-FX. I was fortunate enough to get my copy of Rayman with a few other games and had my special high speed bidder (Buttons) snipe it ( my heart races too much to do bid sniping any more)! I have the PC version as well and I like the Jag one better for a number of reasons. No loading time is great, big sprites is very good, bonus stage only previously found on the PC version is also nice.

• Like 1

(my heart races too much to do bid sniping any more)

Sounds silly, doesn't it, but I also suffer from the same issue. In the final seconds, involuntarily, I have a near heart attack from the anxiety, having watched the item I dearly want for the last 9 days or so!

It really isn't at all good for my health, thus, I hate auctions as I really can't control that reaction! Unless it's BIN or has a Best Offer option, I really don't bother...

Some sealed copies of Rayman recently popped up on ebay after a very long hiatus, both of those sold for $200+. Some sellers are taking advantage of that and have upped their BIN's on used copies of Rayman.

Boxed copies of Rayman are pretty common, sealed copies are extremely rare.

Edited by SuperDork3000

Sounds silly, doesn't it, but I also suffer from the same issue. In the final seconds, involuntarily, I have a near heart attack from the anxiety, having watched the item I dearly want for the last 9 days or so!

It really isn't at all good for my health, thus, I hate auctions as I really can't control that reaction! Unless it's BIN or has a Best Offer option, I really don't bother...

I've started using an auction sniping program for that reason - the final few seconds can get crazy and it really sucks when you monitor something you really want for 7 days then reserve 15 minutes at inconvenient times to be at the computer when the auction ends. Then lose :P . Plus the programs are pretty precise so you don't have to worry about some turd being caught off guard by your bid then making a compulsive bid that's like 3x what he originally intended to pay and inflating the auction price.

Many of the sniping programs are free... wish I would've learned of them sooner myself.

I want Sylphia for the PC Engine Arcade CD and Zenki for the PC-FX.

Well the good news is Zenki for the PC-FX is pretty much the same price its always been. Even Chip Chan Kick and Zeroigar are pretty close to what they'd sell for 5-7 years ago. For understandable reasons there isn't that much demand for the console, so it helps offset the scarcity of the items (any other system and popular titles with those print sizes would be selling for 5X the prices). That's not to say there aren't any good games for it though as I have all 3 of the titles mentioned and really like them. Wish there were more translation projects for the system.

I think the Rayman bubble burst. Saw one CIB listed for $200 on eBay, didn't sell, got relisted at $150, not sure it will sell at that even. They're out there, and the supply is starting to outstrip the demand. I think they got a bit of a boost since a YouTube video outed it as the original game from which other versions were ported.

Nobody should pay over $100 for a CIB Rayman... The Jaguar version sold pretty well and there are plenty of copies out there. Loose don't pay over $60 for it. New Sealed, fine, that is rare and worth $150-$200.

Or, Skunkboard.

Or emulator.

Or PS1 version disc only for $5 or less. Even complete can probably get it under $6

I'd love a copy of Rayman for my Jaguar... There is one on Ebay asking for like $170US complete but I refuse to contribute to this insane practice of games going for ludicrous prices(ie Panzer Dragoon Saga going for minimum $400US complete...). So yeh, I'll be going without rare games :P

• 2 months later...

Price to get Rayman CIB is around 150USD today. (Haven't seen any Rayman NIB to this date.) At least it's possible to get Rayman at a high - not yet insane price. (I bought it this spring for 90USD CIB.)

Must say that all games has gone up "one step" the last six months; six month ago I got lots of games NIB for X cost, and today NIB is much more seldom "out there" and you have to pay around the same price for CIB in good shape, as NIB cost six months ago.

Pretty rapid price "progress". Dont' know if its part of some conspiracy ;) but, still impressing/depressing.

The way I see it:

Rayman seems to be the victim of price hikes due to youtube channels. "Oh, look: a game for the Jaguar that's actually worth playing! Harharhar". For example, Pete Dorr made a top 10 (or so) essential Jaguar games to have in your collection and he claimed Rayman could be bought on the cheap. This was only a few years ago.

The game also seems to surprise people by even existing: "Oh, they made Rayman for the Jaguar?"

The cheapest way to obtain a copy of Rayman is to piece it together; buy a cheap loose cart ($30-$55) and buy a box/manual (same price, sadly). Otherwise, you're at the mercy of sellers who command $145-$175, which is nonsense.

Inflated cart prices are what drove me out of collecting for the NES/SNES.

Edited by Merendino
  • Like 1

Yeah that must also be a depressing hobby... =) But i'm glad more and more people are interested in the Jag, ofc adding to the prices.

They used jags potential with ray color-wise imo, and it was not a commercial success until after release, but with all info at hand, it's sure is a nice thing the game is on the system giving it some more credibility.

Ugh, I'm about 100 games into my Turbografx 16/CD collection and about everything remaining is either $100+ or just impossible to find in almost any form (Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Legend of Hero Tonma). I still have plenty of cheap NES games I can grab here and there, but the library is about six times larger, so that's no surprise.