IGNORED

Atari XEGS composite Video Mod ?

Grevle

I seen the S-Video mods for the Atari XEGS, And those are nice but require som work and a Screen that support S-video. The S-video standard seems to have very little support for Pal screens, as Scart RGB is superiour her in PAL land, There where some support for S-Video on screens but mostly in screens from 90's and early 2000's.

Well if one really want a screen with S-video im sure its possible to get one, But it seems S-Video are not very common for Pal screens as Scart RGB is the standard in Most Pal Screens. But composite video is very common since its suppoted trough the Scart interface or the screens have a seperate composite video input.

Atari XEGS have composite video and its not the worse, But i have the feeling i could be improved without going to a full S-Video conversion.

Does this exist ? A composite video mod for the XEGS, A mod that give some improvment to the Composite video output, And also it shuld be pretty easy to do the Mod. :?:

This would be ment for my NTSC XEGS , i have the 130XE For PAL Computing.

Edited by BioFreeze

http://mixinc.net/atari/books/Super_Video_S_video_for_the_XEGM.pdf

This is Mark's take on the mod for the xls with an s-video mod as well. The mod improves both the s-video and composite video. You retain both, and I use both due to the games that use artifacting, which come out monochrome thru the s-video. Also, mark, or Puppetmark on here, is a super nice guy that is more than willing to help and answer any questions you may have. I had a problem, and he not only helped, but mailed me a resistor i was lacking out of kindness. Hope this helps,

Jeff

Thanks. was this mod intended for a Ntsc machine ?, since there are some differences in the Pal and Ntsc machines. I see my previous post may be confusing, hehe so what i meant was. in Pal land the screens rarely supports s-video. But composite is common, and 60hz is common. some screen support the Ntsc Composite 60hz, (i have some of those screens),therefore composite 60hz Ntsc is usable but S-video is more rare....

Edited by BioFreeze

Thanks. was this mod intended for a Ntsc machine ?, since there are some differences in the Pal and Ntsc machines. I see my previous post may be confusing, hehe so what i meant was. in Pal land the screens rarely supports s-video. But composite is common, and 60hz is common. some screen support the Ntsc Composite 60hz, (i have some of those screens),therefore composite 60hz Ntsc is usable but S-video is more rare....

Yes I believe so. I have a U.S. release XEGS with the mod so I hope!

I did kjmann's s-video mod on my NTSC XEGS a couple years ago with good results. It was pretty straightforward.

Didn't go for composite, but that's easily achieved just by tying the luma and chroma for together.

Can't find the guide online after a quick search, so hopefully it won't be minded if I attach it here.

XEGS.zip

Edited by eeun

Thank you. Il take a look at

I did kjmann's s-video mod on my NTSC XEGS a couple years ago with good results. It was pretty straightforward.

Didn't go for composite, but that's easily achieved just by tying the luma and chroma for together.

Can't find the guide online after a quick search, so hopefully it won't be minded if I attach it here.

Thank You. Trying to learn all this stuff. hehe

yea, Let me know if you need help or have any questions if you use my mod. It should work on PAL video, the impedances are pretty close, but you might need to experiment with R55. maybe 10K? None of the values are critical, and as long as they are close, you should be fine. The performance of most video mods varies depending on the end device. I tested this mod on about 10 different monitors / TVs, including LCD and LED, and the values seem to be a pretty good compromise.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

Sorry to bring up another old topic, I am a bit confused on a couple things regarding hooking up the XEGS..

First, does anyone offer the XEGS S-Video mod as a service? In the past, I sent out my 2600 and 7800 for S-Video mods (with excellent results), but I haven't seen anyone offering to do an XEGS S-Video mod. Just wondering... I would love to send out my XEGS to be modded.

Also, how do you use the monitor output on the XEGS? Is there a dedicated monitor cable? I see there are some S-Video adapter cables out there for Atari/Commodore computers that are for monitors. I am assuming they wouldn't work on the XEGS, but I thought I'd ask. I'd like to try and bypass the VCR method when hooking the XEGS up to an upscaler.

Thanks!

First, does anyone offer the XEGS S-Video mod as a service? In the past, I sent out my 2600 and 7800 for S-Video mods (with excellent results), but I haven't seen anyone offering to do an XEGS S-Video mod. Just wondering... I would love to send out my XEGS to be modded.

Don't think so, I used to offer it back when I was doing mods, but even then I think I was the only person offering it. Someone here should take you up on that though.

Also, how do you use the monitor output on the XEGS?

The XEGS doesn't have one like the rest of the A8 lineup, you only have RF and composite video through a standard RCA jack. You can hook it up directly to your Framemeister, no VCR required. However now that you mention the Framemeister, it's probably worth waiting for Simius's RGB board.

Thanks ApolloBoy!

So you can use the monitor jack with a standard composite (yellow) cable? The audio would go through the audio jack I assume, but be mono?

If I got that right, then that's the answer I was looking for. :)

The video cable doesn't have to be yellow, you could just use a normal RCA stereo audio cable for the composite/audio signals.

If you want a better shielded cable you could use an RG59 coax cable with RCA connectors/adapters for the video signal.

The video cable doesn't have to be yellow, you could just use a normal RCA stereo audio cable for the composite/audio signals.

If you want a better shielded cable you could use an RG59 coax cable with RCA connectors/adapters for the video signal.

Hey Bill... quick question if you don't mind. I hooked up the XEGS via a standard composite cable through a Framemeister and I'm getting vertical lines... kinda like double lines almost. Would the shielded RG59 coax cable help remove these? I get the same vertical lines when I hook up my 130XE computer via the same composite cables, but they go away when I switch to S-Video.

Hey Bill... quick question if you don't mind. I hooked up the XEGS via a standard composite cable through a Framemeister and I'm getting vertical lines... kinda like double lines almost. Would the shielded RG59 coax cable help remove these? I get the same vertical lines when I hook up my 130XE computer via the same composite cables, but they go away when I switch to S-Video.

I doubt the shielded cable would help for that problem, I believe the color signal is affecting the LUM signal when the 2 are combined to create composite, the problem mainly affects LCD displays. There are some mods which are supposed to reduce this reduce this problem.

The low_budget 5200/8-bit upgrade(both use the GTIA) uses an FMS6400 IC to combine the Y/C signals to create the composite signal.

The other is a new upgrade still under development by Bryan, he has sold some test versions already, and when completed it's supposed to be available from the Atariage store.

I doubt the shielded cable would help for that problem, I believe the color signal is affecting the LUM signal when the 2 are combined to create composite, the problem mainly affects LCD displays. There are some mods which are supposed to reduce this reduce this problem.

The low_budget 5200/8-bit upgrade(both use the GTIA) uses an FMS6400 IC to combine the Y/C signals to create the composite signal.

The other is a new upgrade still under development by Bryan, he has sold some test versions already, and when completed it's supposed to be available from the Atariage store.

Awesome! I'll be on the lookout for the new mod! Thanks!