IGNORED

Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega

save2600

Maybe. It says it supports "all models of the Spectrum" which in theory should cover +3 as well, which I believe is the only disk based machine where .DSK image files may relate. However it doesn't explicitely list that format in the list of supported formats: .TAP, .Z80, .SZX (I believe that is a typo and should read .TZX?).

What about Interface 2 cartridges??

As far as I understand, only 10 different IF2 cartridge games were released, although there were more under development and perhaps some obscure homebrews. I don't know if either of those games are different from their tape counterparts, or to which extent the Vega+ will have instant loading of TAP/TZX files - many emulators load those at warp speed so often you don't get to see loading screens unless you disable the fast loading.

• 6 months later...

i would doubt it's going to come out any time soon. i've followed the project and those behind it for some time and have made a number of videos about the situation on my channel. also, their latest "showing" of the final (?) board is basically a dev board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFwGWPXwRGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIUTSme76sQ

there are other videos on my channel about it, too. Murky waters, folks. Very murky.

i would doubt it's going to come out any time soon. i've followed the project and those behind it for some time and have made a number of videos about the situation on my channel. also, their latest "showing" of the final (?) board is basically a dev board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFwGWPXwRGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIUTSme76sQ

there are other videos on my channel about it, too. Murky waters, folks. Very murky.

Says you. Time will tell.

well, the "social networking mouthpiece" told me a couple of weeks back that everything was on track and guaranteed to be out before the end of september. then they produced some images of what can only be described as an alpha board. no i/o connectors or proper switching etc etc, definitely not a production model. also, it wouldn't fit inside the shell that they've touted, either. then, despite promising everything was 100% ready to go (which they also said way back in May, if you didn't know), they've now said they will be trying their best to meet a deadline of christmas. in the meantime the money keeps going into their coffers. they also accused the former directors (who left in disgust at how the project was being run) of stealing/misappropriating a certain amount of the funding. this statement has been legally proven to be false and has been redacted and apologised for by those who reported on it (at the suggestion of RCL, who seemed keen to paint the two former directors as scapegoats). However, the money is still somewhat up in the air so if it's not with the ex employees then, um, where is it ? i did make the point in a video above that another of their companies is in dire financial straits, so, well, you draw your own conclusion.

So far, everything i've said in my videos has been true and/or has come to pass. So far, everything that RCL have said has turned out to be a lie. I'll leave it up to the viewer to choose who to believe as things go forward (or not, as the case seems to be at the moment)

"they produced some images of what can only be described as an alpha board. no i/o connectors or proper switching etc etc, definitely not a production model"

note: this was after I'd been told that the final design was in production and had been for some time. They even said they'd visited the factory to see them being made but all of them forgot their cameras, no evidence at all is available and the supposed production partners have denied that they're producing the device.

what I think has happened is that they've scrambled to get an alpha board produced in china and have no real clue what they're doing. Even the "new" tech spec information they released last week was simply the original VEGA tech information, written by the people who left, that they've very slightly (and I mean VERY slightly) reworded in some places, mostly just changing "VEGA" to "VEGA+".

If there was ever a textbook example of how not to run both an indiegogo campaign and a piece of equipment production, well, this seems to be it.

If there was ever a textbook example of how not to run both an indiegogo campaign and a piece of equipment production, well, this seems to be it.

... mmhhhh ....

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-1

410 pages, and this was the second thread about it.

For now the CC wins the "by the book" sarcasm context, but I can see this Vega+ making headway to the top, they did get the money, the CC was stopped (twice) before reaching that point for real.

• Like 1

in a way you are correct, mate, BUT i would say that while the CC was an absolute disaster of biblical proportions, the vega+ is a far, far more toxic product, whether or not it actually gets released. Their "social networking" mouthpiece is one of the most disliked people in retro gaming and the people now left at the company have a history of massive legal/financial problems in everything they've been involved with (i've touched on this a little in my videos but it's really a very deep pit to get into). The fact that they employed someone to represent them who is known to be one of the most toxic members of the community and is a bully, a known liar and a twit shows how little they know about the scene and how little regard they have for anyone in it. Basically these people are not deluded like the creator of the CC was, these people are deliberately lying to members of the community to continue to get money from them despite no product showing up. In all honesty, what they've done so far could have been done in one week by anyone who knows what they're doing. They have provided next to ZERO updates throughout the campaign, presumably they're au fait with the CC campaign and didn't want to play their deck of lies too soon. I was told, categorically, that everything was on track, the device would be out (by now) and the detractors would be left with egg on their faces. It seems that the only people with egg on their faces here are the creators themselves. Furthermore, they've not paid either the original production factory OR the concept artist, now saying their design will be "true to the design featured during the fundraiser" (basically a not so smart way of saying "it's not the actual design, though, because he is thoroughly pissed off with us").

The people behind the campaign have also been in touch with 3 different police forces in the UK to report anyone saying negative things about the campaign. I was, again, told about this by THE MOUTHPIECE at the company who said "it's a jailable offence" (lol). There are many people on twitter railing against the campaign, myself included, and telling the actual truth about what's going on. This has led to a number of people requesting refunds which has in turn made RCL furious and they're looking to lash out at anyone saying anything detrimental (true) about the debacle that they're behind.

This is a far, far nastier happening than the CC, which was basically laughable. These people have almost 1/2 a million of other peoples money, some of which seems to have flat out disappeared, and have done a weeks work in almost a year, constantly lying all the time as they've done so. There was meant to be a video of the "final device" working uploaded a week or more ago. No video has been shown. Their "updates" (scant as they are) involve saying they're going to do something "in a few days" then, well, not doing it. They seem to presume that people are so stupid as to not actually bother requesting further information (that they've been promised) and that yet another smokescreen will be completely appropriate.

The sad thing is, they have the money.

These people are really dragging the name of the ZX Spectrum through the muck. Certain people are only involved because their reputation is so tarnished in the spectrum community that this is almost some kind of dig/strike against their detractors "look at me, i'm involved in this ! i AM important ! you MUST listen to my bullshit (again)" and the rest of the folks behind it have been involved in far more nefarious things in the past, collapsing several businesses due to massive financial skulduggery.

The CC was one mans idiotic dream that went wrong and fell apart due to hilarious lies.

The VEGA+ is a wilfully toxic project that is mocking the community and the backers. Even if the device DOES get made, it's going to be garbage. Funding these people is a bad thing to do, regardless of the product.

Also, they are hiding behind the name of Clive Sinclair, who is merely a small shareholder in the company and has NOTHING to do with the product. They keep billing it like he has but Clive had a bad fall at the start of this year and has been convalescing since then, far from the world of technology with his wife (who also drew her shares/investment out of a sister company owned by one of the RCL bosses in the first quarter of this year which is also covered in one of my videos)

• Like 1

also, there is much less focus on this project from the international gaming community as not many people outside of Europe are familiar with the ZX Spectrum and there have been so few details that, without digging, there's not much for the average onlooker to mock.

The Coleco Chameleon was an open wound for some time that everyone/anyone could poke at :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently October 20 came and went with no Vega+. New ETA date is tomorrow, Saturday November 5. In the mean time, RCL donated £20.000 to a childrens hospital, so at least something is happening...

http://retrocomputerslimited.com/2016/11/04/sinclair-backed-zx-vega-goes-live-for-the-first-time-at-wired2016-and-wired-next-generation-2016/

According to a FB update yesterday, this device will be released Real Soon Now . They just need to ensure it is of the highest possible quality, a week after they displayed it at WIRED 2016. Backers are asking if they'll receive it for Christmas, but there is no definitive answer to that question yet.

Yes, they sound more and more fishy to me... Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but even the WIRED 2016 footage looked like it could have been made up. There's just a WIRED brochure next to the Vega+ and we can hear the sound of a showfloor crowd, but that's it. The handheld looks to work fine though, which makes it all the more frustrating... :_(

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, they sound more and more fishy to me... Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but even the WIRED 2016 footage looked like it could have been made up. There's just a WIRED brochure next to the Vega+ and we can hear the sound of a showfloor crowd, but that's it. The handheld looks to work fine though, which makes it all the more frustrating... :_(

This video?

Someone replied:

The background noise is overlaid onto the video. The video was done in a quiet room. It was not done at WIRED. I'm a forensic sound engineer. Why all this pretence?

Were these pics also faked, or at least showing a dummy device in the hands of happy people? Perhaps a bit of Google image search may be useful, trying to identify the individuals.

https://twitter.com/sinclairzxvega/status/795241243609616384

It is true that if they really attended the exhibition, at least someone else should've taken pics or perhaps a video of the booth.

Edited by carlsson

Were these pics also faked, or at least showing a dummy device in the hands of happy people? Perhaps a bit of Google image search may be useful, trying to identify the individuals.

https://twitter.com/sinclairzxvega/status/795241243609616384

It is true that if they really attended the exhibition, at least someone else should've taken pics or perhaps a video of the booth.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen these pictures that really seem to match the video.

I can't find any evidence outside of their own reporting that they had a booth, a table, any presence at all. The official WIRED2016 website doesn't list them as delegates, I get zero search results except their own on Google, image search, Twitter, Flickr etc sites where someone who went to the event may have seen something. Then again, I get very few hits in general so perhaps anyone who went there had to sign a NDA and hand in their cellphones in the entrance to prevent pictures leaking.