IGNORED

Deep Zone

artrag

they are (almost, space invaders has sprites 14x8, I had to cut and resize to make them fit in 8x8), but actually I'm trying to add on fly definition of gram so to have more enemies and animations

If I succeed, I could also move gram update at wave changes, wip

Edited by artrag

they are (almost, space invaders has sprites 14x8, I had to cut and resize to make them fit in 8x8), but actually I'm trying to add on fly definition of gram so to have more enemies and animations

If I succeed, I could also move gram update at wave changes, wip

What do you mean by "on fly definition of GRAM"? Do you mean GRAM cycling, or do you mean procedural generation of graphics?

Updating the enemies in gram while they move. I have to see what is better, if updating at each frame change or at each swarm change.

If you have the GRAM available, it is always better to pre-load once and just switch cards during game play, for it is much faster. If you are trying to conserve GRAM for other purposes, then cycling GRAM is the way to go, for you will only need one or two cards per MOB (depending on the vertical resolution).

Btw cycling isn't the best word as definitions will change according to distance.

Sorry for the confusion. Typically in Intellivision programming we call it "GRAM cycling" when you are updating GRAM cards to animate or otherwise update the graphics of objects during actual game play.

This is in contrast to loading GRAM during initialization and just switching card indices.

I will be honest, they looked better the way you had them originally, before the new graphics.

By the way, I meant the non-Space Invaders version. Personally, I think the Space Invaders look does not really fit the enemies in this type of game.

Features:

- Rudimental support for score and lives

- Gyrus controls on 16 directions

- Rudimental support for game over

- Early attempt of variable speeds for warp, enemies and main ship

- Level increases after you pass the 5th enemy type (shown in the top right corner, in yellow)

- You pass to a new swarm after that 10 enemies of a given type has been killed

- New animation for the space warp

All files are in the first post.

dzgorf.rom

Features:
- Rudimental support for score and lives
- Gyrus controls on 16 directions
- Rudimental support for game over
- Early attempt of variable speeds for warp, enemies and main ship
- Level increases after you pass the 5th enemy type (shown in the top right corner, in yellow)
- You pass to a new swarm after that 10 enemies of a given type has been killed
- New animation for the space warp
All files are in the first post.

• I like the "game over" screen, but it comes up when the first life is lost.
  • I don't see the yellow number increasing, regardless of how many enemies I kill.
  • I liked the previous warp effect (dots) better. The rays are fine, but a bit distracting. In either case, it should be faster.
  • The enemies seem a bit slow, but that's fine if it's only during the first wave.

The problem with dots us that I should use gram tiles to displace the stars in the tiles.

Using one fixed tile gives a poor result.

So, are you still preloading all enemy animation cards into GRAM? Perhaps its time to consider dynamic cycling of GRAM.

Using 6 static frames (or better 2 tiles defined dynamically) one could get the sequences in attach (I showed a slow and a faster version).

Is it worth ?

The sprites in 60 tiles would become like in picture

(find the 3 differences ;-)

post-22013-0-00343600-1444858271.png

post-22013-0-78855100-1444858279.png

post-22013-0-03414900-1444858287.png

post-22013-0-19830800-1444858292.png

post-22013-0-72128100-1444858301.gif

post-22013-0-26663300-1444858428.gif

post-22013-0-89841700-1444859865_thumb.png

post-22013-0-03413900-1444859918_thumb.png

Edited by artrag

Using 6 static frames (or better 2 tiles defined dynamically) one could get the sequences in attach (I showed a slow and a faster version).

Is it worth ?

The sprites in 60 tiles would become like in picture

(find the 3 differences ;-)

I think the animated one looks perfectly fine. I like it a lot. The slow is "meh," but adequate. The fast one is really cool. :thumbsup: