IGNORED

Ready for a homebrew Game Gear game?

atari2600land

And we have faux scrolling! The background scrolls as you move along. I also fixed and changed a few minor things. Was angry at first because the first attempt had a bug on a real Game Gear that made random 8x8 sprites appear (parts of Mr. Ultra body, like a second Mr. Ultra exploded.) But I fixed it and it works great on real hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I finally got the stupid code working for level 1. It wasn't working a lot, it kept showing me infinite carrots coming at me instead of the holes I had programmed in. Anyway, there shouldn't be three carrots in a row. If you see three carrots in a row, please tell me. After the 16th decision of whether to show a carrot or a hole (it will be the same layout each time), Mr. Ultra walks forwards and once he reaches the right side of the screen, the game resets. This would usually be the time when it would go to level 2, but I haven't programmed it in. And it will be a while, if this computer stubbornness keeps up. Next up I have to work on the life counter, but I don't know when I will tackle that. Link to ROM is in my signature.

A sneak peek at level 2: Candyville. It's not finished yet. I just started on this. But while doing so, I stumbled upon and learned a valuable lesson about color palettes, how to define them in Photoshop, and how they carry over into Game Gear programming.

post-9475-0-46716300-1463464083_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Level two should be finished now. I also made a change: When Mr. Ultra jumps and falls, he no longer waves his legs. I played this on a real Game Gear and it should be working good. After level 2, it just goes to the beginning of level 2 again. Game link is in my signature. I hope to work on this more often now that I have a computer that has a SD card slot in it (my old one does not!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The whale stage looks neat,It plays pretty good although I'm not crazy about the jump physics.If your using states for player,enemies you could have this in the Mr.Ultra Jumping State.Take a look at alex kidd in shinobi world,this code is the function it uses.

ld hl,(_MrUltraYVelocityPtr)
  ld de,68                       ;Gravity
  ld a,(_JoyPad)
  and Button1
  jr z,+
  bit 7,h
  jr z,+
  ld a,(_MrUltraJumpAccent)
  inc a
  cp 16
  jr z,+
  ld (_MrUltraJumpAccent),a
  ld de,20                       ;Gravity
+:
  add hl,de
  ld a,h
  cp 4
  jr c,+
  ld hl,$3ff
+:
  ld (_MrUltraYVelocityPtr),hl
  ret

• 3 weeks later...

The last few weeks I had tried to fix another problem it had about the enemies showing up. I'm not too keen on putting in code I don't understand in my game. I'd have to add, like the code suggests, new variables, and I don't know what they do. Here is the latest version of the game.

mrultratwo20160701v2.zip

• 1 month later...

I think everything is fixed. Now all I have to do is add some more levels, music and enemies. I want 7 levels but I think I might end up with only 6 seeing as how I've just begun work on level 4 and have only 26% free space left. I could make it 64 KB, but I don't want to mess up what I have now and also I don't want to think up of that many level ideas all at once. Level 4 is underwater. I need to compose music for it and design a new enemy for it.

post-9475-0-35327900-1470946629_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've decided that the game (Mr. Ultra 2) will only have 5 levels. I need room for an ending as well as a game over screen. And with only 12% free space left for 32k, I can't fit that plus 2 more levels in. I hope to have this finished and wrapped up next month some time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided that I'm going to shelve Mr. Ultra 2 for now. I may pick it up in the future. But I'm not entirely done with Game Gear programming, I am thinking that Mr. Ultra was too complex of a game, and it wasn't actually what I visualized. So instead I'm going to make more simpler games, games that only need 32k. Like this project I call Lemon Drop. I worked on it for an hour trying to perfect the title screen. I like how it looks (it looks better on a real Game Gear though.) Does anyone here make impressive sounding music for Game Gear? I would love some. I use VGMaker, the right hand side tracks (The PSG ones.)

post-9475-0-42661000-1475682170_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

I've restarted Mr. Ultra 2 since someone told me I could have a 48k game without bankswitching. So it looks like the game will have 7 levels after all. I don't think I've quite got the hang of 48k, because there were a few warning messages, but it works enough to give me a preview of level 6. It's a giant chalkboard.

post-9475-0-15427700-1481931745_thumb.png