Came across this quote, regarding the hidden version of Tempest 2000 in Tempest X for the PlayStation 1:

"I guess I feel safe sharing this 21 years after release:

The hidden 2000 mode wasn't supposed to be there.

Several of the higher ups involved mandated a lot of changes in the "X" mode that I didn't agree with. I didn't think they understood the beauty of Theurer's or Minter's versions of the game. I thought they were ruining it by putting their thumbprints on it with the bitmap monsters, Helvetica font, etc.

I nearly lost my job over hiding the 2000 and Plus modes in there. Many key people didn't know about it until after the game had already hit the presses. But I'm glad I did.

It's fun to see people still play the game. It was a lot of fun working with N on this. We also did Saturn and Mac Classic versions that were straight up Tempest 2000 ports. We also prototyped an M2 version just for fun. That never shipped."

"Several of the higher ups involved mandated a lot of changes in the "X" mode that I didn't agree with. I didn't think they understood the beauty of Theurer's or Minter's versions of the game. I thought they were ruining it by putting their thumbprints on it with the bitmap monsters, Helvetica font, etc."

He was right.

X3 was "ok", but lacked the personality, charisma and charm of the originals, especially 2000.

Sony went gone dun f*cked up...

Anyone played Tempest 2xK on the Vita? Quite enjoyed it myself. Shame what passes off as Atari these days got heavy on Minter and prevented other versions being released. 2000 is still my favourite Tempest though.

Bought my Vita just for that game. Still haven't finished it yet.

How do i access Tempest 2000 mode?

Play the game until you earn the top spot at the High Score Table; you must earn over 500 000 points to get there. Once you've done this, the game will ask you a five character name in addition to the usual three-letters initials.

Then enter H_V_S as your name. ''_'' These indicate the spaces in the second and the fourth position.Then you'll find two new gme modes at your main menu. 'Tempest Plus' and 'Tempest 200'

• Like 1

Play the game until you earn the top spot at the High Score Table; you must earn over 500 000 points to get there. Once you've done this, the game will ask you a five character name in addition to the usual three-letters initials.

Then enter H_V_S as your name. ''_'' These indicate the spaces in the second and the fourth position.Then you'll find two new gme modes at your main menu. 'Tempest Plus' and 'Tempest 200'

Ah, thanks. I need practice... :P

Came across this quote, regarding the hidden version of Tempest 2000 in Tempest X for the PlayStation 1:

"I guess I feel safe sharing this 21 years after release:

The hidden 2000 mode wasn't supposed to be there.

Several of the higher ups involved mandated a lot of changes in the "X" mode that I didn't agree with. I didn't think they understood the beauty of Theurer's or Minter's versions of the game. I thought they were ruining it by putting their thumbprints on it with the bitmap monsters, Helvetica font, etc.

I nearly lost my job over hiding the 2000 and Plus modes in there. Many key people didn't know about it until after the game had already hit the presses. But I'm glad I did.

It's fun to see people still play the game. It was a lot of fun working with N on this. We also did Saturn and Mac Classic versions that were straight up Tempest 2000 ports. We also prototyped an M2 version just for fun. That never shipped."

Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool story.

Anyone played Tempest 2xK on the Vita? Quite enjoyed it myself. Shame what passes off as Atari these days got heavy on Minter and prevented other versions being released. 2000 is still my favourite Tempest though.

Wasn't even aware it was available! I'll have to check that out!

...I'll also have to find my Vita...mumblemumble...

Wasn't even aware it was available! I'll have to check that out!

...I'll also have to find my Vita...mumblemumble...

I bought a Vita TV/Playstation TV, just so I could play this at home, on the big screen.

Was WELL worth the £45 entry fee.

Would have preferred a dedicated PS3 PSN release, obviously, but err... "Atari"

• Like 4

Did you search for Tempest? Just type txk in the store search box, it should show up. I just tried it in the US store and it was there for $9.99. I made a mistake calling it Tempest TxK in an earlier post. It's just called TxK.

Doesn't appear to be on PSN any more here. Well crud.

Edited by Lord Innit