IGNORED

Rotary Controller preference for T2K?

Noah98

I just got my back mounted rotary controller and it is pretty cool. I was wondering what style other Jaguar owners had and which they prefer. I didn't like the one mounted in place of the dpad because I needed a functional second controller too. The front mounted one by the keypad looked good too. I Read that the back mounted one felt the most natural, so that is the one I ordered. Anyone prefer the front mounted one?

Edited by Noah98

I just got my back mounted rotary controller and it is pretty cool. I was wondering what style other Jaguar owners had and which they prefer. I didn't like the one mounted in place of the dpad because I needed a functional second controller too. The front mounted one by the keypad looked good too. I Read that the back mounted one felt the most natural, so that is the one I ordered. Anyone prefer the front mounted one?

I have one where the D-pad is replaced. I just bought another controller so it was a non-issue for me. I can't remember where or who I bought mine from, but it was named after an animal or something.... like Python, or Raptor, or whatever... don't remember. But it's VERY professionally done.

I use it for Tempest 2000 and Impulse-X.

I have one where the D-pad is replaced. I just bought another controller so it was a non-issue for me. I can't remember where or who I bought mine from, but it was named after an animal or something.... like Python, or Raptor, or whatever... don't remember. But it's VERY professionally done.

I use it for Tempest 2000 and Impulse-X.

I saw one on eBay where the rotary control was below the D-pad. Wasn't sure if this was a good version or not.

I saw one on eBay where the rotary control was below the D-pad. Wasn't sure if this was a good version or not.

I have that one and I like it a lot. I also wanted the d-pad there still for going through menus, etc. not just for T2K but also for Kobayashi Maru and Impulse X and even the ST Arkanoid II CyranoJ ported. But I only use it for those games as I have two other Jag controllers and a pro.

But once upon a time I had a rotary that a guy named JediJeff used to sell that incorporated all Jag buttons and the keypad in it's own case and was large enough to fit on my lap and was far more comfortable and had a bigger nob I could spin like the original arcade Tempest game. It also had a switch to reverse rotation which really made the upside down webs much easier. I miss that one, it was far superior. I may make my own like that one day. The ones selling now are far more sensitive, which is not a good thing IMHO, half a rotation to go all the way around the web just is not the way it should be. Better than a d-pad still, though.

Edited by Gunstar

Might just pick one up then!

The rotary on this version is sort of in the way to use for non-rotary games but is fine for navigating menus. But for rotary games I find the positioning excellent(pun intended), very comfotable and the shape of the Jag controller makes it very easy to hold with the right hand, still easily press the c, b & a buttons with your right thumb and spin the rotary with your left hand. Edited by Gunstar

Finally bought a back mounted one (smooth rotary), this summer and very pleased with it. Definitely prefer that setup to the ones placed on the front because it's more traditional to how the original arcade was with using the right hand for the spinner and left for buttons. It is surprisingly comfortable and natural to hold backwards like this more than a thought it would be too...

my only complaint, which most likely isn't the fault of the hardware, but how extremely fast the blaster moves, and since the game doesn't have the fastest framerate, there isa lot of frame skipping if you move it too fast which makes things much less accurate.. compared to the smooth as silk original arcade controls.. but if you can get used to having to move it very precisely it's definitely a preferred method. I played a couple games the other night back to back, one with rotary, one with regular d-pad, and both received similar scores, around 650k, but the way I actually play and move between the two are vastly different..for instance with the d-pad, I have to constantly keep moving and rocking back and forth, for getting power ups, I normally "ram" into them instead of waiting for them to come to the particular part of the web they come in on, where as with the rotary it's too twitchy to do that, so I make sure to zoom over to the spot and sort of "lock" it in before it reaches the rim, otherwise you'll likely miss it if you keep moving... so yeah, things like that make it play much differently for me anyway.

It is kind of annoying having to switch over to player two controller to play the first and third sets of bonus rounds.. for some reason it doesn't allow you to play the green line bonus level with the 2nd controller though. I found it much easier to complete with the d-pad for that level. Don't even bother trying to play the bacon bonus levels with the rotary though.. it's impossible.

But yeah.. i can't believe I waited so long to get one of these, especially considering it's one of my favorite games of all time, and been playing since the 90's.

Finally bought a back mounted one (smooth rotary), this summer and very pleased with it. Definitely prefer that setup to the ones placed on the front because it's more traditional to how the original arcade was with using the right hand for the spinner and left for buttons. It is surprisingly comfortable and natural to hold backwards like this more than a thought it would be too...

my only complaint, which most likely isn't the fault of the hardware, but how extremely fast the blaster moves, and since the game doesn't have the fastest framerate, there isa lot of frame skipping if you move it too fast which makes things much less accurate.. compared to the smooth as silk original arcade controls.. but if you can get used to having to move it very precisely it's definitely a preferred method. I played a couple games the other night back to back, one with rotary, one with regular d-pad, and both received similar scores, around 650k, but the way I actually play and move between the two are vastly different..for instance with the d-pad, I have to constantly keep moving and rocking back and forth, for getting power ups, I normally "ram" into them instead of waiting for them to come to the particular part of the web they come in on, where as with the rotary it's too twitchy to do that, so I make sure to zoom over to the spot and sort of "lock" it in before it reaches the rim, otherwise you'll likely miss it if you keep moving... so yeah, things like that make it play much differently for me anyway.

It is kind of annoying having to switch over to player two controller to play the first and third sets of bonus rounds.. for some reason it doesn't allow you to play the green line bonus level with the 2nd controller though. I found it much easier to complete with the d-pad for that level. Don't even bother trying to play the bacon bonus levels with the rotary though.. it's impossible.

But yeah.. i can't believe I waited so long to get one of these, especially considering it's one of my favorite games of all time, and been playing since the 90's.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who opted for the back mounted one! I was starting to worry that the front mounted one would have been a better choice.

I'm glad someone asked this question, as i've been thinking of asking it myself for some time now.

At first I though the "replace the d-pad" placement would be best, and looked best, but the more I think of it the more I think i'll eventually go for the back mounted option. Curious to see what people think. It seems like the back mounted (even though you can't see it) might be the easiest to reach and least awkward to manipulate?

maybe back mounted is the best but I didn't like the thought of reaching under my controller or holding it upside down, so i got the under-the-pad version. I find it extremely comfortable and easy to use as i stated. but if you want to use it as a standard controller for other games then back mounted may be best for you. I had plenty of controllers already for that. I think the worst choice is the d-pad mounted one since it lacks d-pad altogether.

• Like 1

I thought holding it upside down would be awkward, but it's really not. I think it comes down to right vs. left hand play. The only way to play with your right hand is the back mounted one.

I thought holding it upside down would be awkward, but it's really not. I think it comes down to right vs. left hand play. The only way to play with your right hand is the back mounted one.

well it has been about 3 decades since I played tempest arcade and I didn't even remember if it was set for the right or left hand on the rotary and since I have been using d-pads with my left hand for just as long, suddenly using my right hand to control a game seems to me would be very awkward. And using it by reaching under the controller even more so and probably would feel backwards too, so I think I definitely made the right choice for myself.

well it has been about 3 decades since I played tempest arcade and I didn't even remember if it was set for the right or left hand on the rotary and since I have been using d-pads with my left hand for just as long, suddenly using my right hand to control a game seems to me would be very awkward. And using it by reaching under the controller even more so and probably would feel backwards too, so I think I definitely made the right choice for myself.

Do you use your left hand to control an Atari 2600 paddle controller? It's unnatural for a right handed person.

Do you use your left hand to control an Atari 2600 paddle controller? It's unnatural for a right handed person.

I dont use atari 2600 paddles, at least not since about 1981...and back then hardly ever as i only had breakout. so obviously due to the design of paddles i used my right hand but as i said i have been using my left hand to control games ever since the d-pad was invented. before that i used my right for joysticks but we are not talking about joysticks which is completely different. we are talking about controllers designed for the left side since the nes and master system days. left hand on my rotary feels as natural as left thumb on d-pad. Even for my vintage atari 8-bits i have been using a jagpad ever since i got an adapter for it from best electronics at least a decade ago. or dual thumbsticks in midern systems. but what ever...left handed control has become perfectly natural to me and that includes my jag rotary. its not that hard to use either hand for me anyway. its just no big deal at all.

I do still own a 2600 but haven't played it since i got a 7800 years ago and due to the uncomfortable 7800 controllers i have been using the european 7800 control pads since the 90's too, for 2600 and 7800 gaming and used them on my 1200xl too until i got the jagpad adapter that i use on all atari 8/16-bit systems now for years. i admit i hated pads when they first came out in the 80's but ever since the jag i got use to them and left handed control and right hand for buttons.

Edited by Gunstar

anyone who has been using dual analog thumbsticks for nearly 2 decades should be ambi-dexterous when it comes to controllers by now, like myself, and either way should feel comfotable. I happen to like using controllers face-up, if yoy got a problem with that, to bad. I don't care.

anyone who has been using dual analog thumbsticks for nearly 2 decades should be ambi-dexterous when it comes to controllers by now, like myself, and either way should feel comfotable. I happen to like using controllers face-up, if yoy got a problem with that, to bad. I don't care.

No one has a problem.. that's why the guy makes variants of the controller. For me, I play a lot of the original Tempest arcade, so it makes sense for me to play T2k with a similar control setup.

No one has a problem.. that's why the guy makes variants of the controller. For me, I play a lot of the original Tempest arcade, so it makes sense for me to play T2k with a similar control setup.

Yes, that was pretty insightful of the guy. It would be pretty damn cool if console manufacturers came up with some sort of controllers that could come apart and be reconfigured to one's personal desire...don't like were the thumb pad and buttons are? then swap them! Or change placement entirely! Maybe thats the next step in the evolution of the controller, if they don't get rid of them completely in favor of the body movement detection craze. Which is ok for some things some times, but most of the time I prefer sitting down and controlling with my finger tips...maybe I am just a crazy old dinosaur though... Edited by Gunstar

I don't there is a wrong answer here. These controllers are just really nice either way. It's actually one of the reasons I decided to finally buy a Jag. What other system has a controller like this? I love my 2600 paddles and driving controllers, and I'd like to eventually get an nes Arkanoid controller.

I wish modern systems had stuff like trakballs and paddles!

The ones I built I opted for the rotary to be on the front below the dpad, then use a switch to choose rotary mode or dpad mode. however, now I like playing T2k on my Jag with my Sega Genesis Rotary Controller :) works really well and is comfortable to hold. one of the easiest mods to do, parts are really cheap.