IGNORED

No more ST ports for you....

CyranoJ

It's a crappy thing that is happening whatever the stuff is. Given freely or sold... whoever is doing this is really low.

And whilst a few probably did overstate things, this is the kind of crap at least some others expected.

I always expected it. It was always a matter of when rather than if.

Like I said, a far, far gap between some numpty in his bedroom with a CD burner and a laser printer and the imagined factory line of workers churning out BSG carts, LOL.

• Like 6

I always expected it. It was always a matter of when rather than if.

Like I said, a far, far gap between some numpty in his bedroom with a CD burner and a laser printer and the imagined factory line of workers churning out BSG carts, LOL.

I always expected it too.

Thats not the way everyone characterised things. But then thats the Jag 'Community' for you. LOL

• Like 1

A lot of merriment was made in the past at the expense of people who bemoaned the likelihood or actuality of 'Piracy' perhaps that was an inapporiate word, or perhaps it was sometimes expressed inexpertly.

THIS kind of sh*t however is exactly the kind of thing that was in mind, of at least some, as likely to happen.

So it is in no way a surprise to see it... even on this scale, more surprised as with others that it has taken as long as it has.

It hasn't taken this long - it's not the first time. Hawken was one of those who did the most to further that kind of FUD and ensure the drama surrounding it had every last ounce squeezed from it, yet it was he who ended up being the one to originally have exactly this kind of list and his own little production facility running stuff off via that retro forum, selling discs by the 50 and 100. So meh.

We all know stuff is floating around online, that can never be helped and nobody really gets hurt bar a few poor CD-Rs - that's why we put our stuff up so people can do exactly that for themselves. Doesn't make it public domain and a free-for-all though.

That someone is going to the effort of cataloguing and listing titles and selling them in bulk is entirely another. That's just scumcuntery.

• Like 4

That's just scumcuntery.

That's the second new swearword I'll add to my vocab this week. The other was in the RVGS thread :P

The 'honest guy who supports the authors' (Really? Again, anyone get anything recently from someone telling them they copied their game and felt guilty?) who PM'd me still hasn't come forward, or pointed the finger at the real scumbag here yet.

Tick, Tock.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 1

It hasn't taken this long - it's not the first time. Hawken was one of those who did the most to further that kind of FUD and ensure the drama surrounding it had every last ounce squeezed from it, yet it was he who ended up being the one to originally have exactly this kind of list and his own little production facility running stuff off via that retro forum, selling discs by the 50 and 100. So meh.

We all know stuff is floating around online, that can never be helped and nobody really gets hurt bar a few poor CD-Rs - that's why we put our stuff up so people can do exactly that for themselves. Doesn't make it public domain and a free-for-all though.

That someone is going to the effort of cataloguing and listing titles and selling them in bulk is entirely another. That's just scumcuntery.

Wouldn't know, i don't pay enough attention to notice. I was basing my comment on Saturn's though i suspect that might have just related to the conversions.

I think really we're in agreement that whoever is doing this is a lowlife.

I just don't pick and choose who to feel has been mistreated in this matter.

CJ I wouldn't take it personally, and there is no need to take your bat and ball and go home, punishing all of us who love your work and enjoy it responsibly. There was inevitably going to be one individual out there who would do the wrong thing, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that someone would try to make a buck (if they even did, given costs.) There was nothing any of us could have done to influence this individual, and since the ST ports were expressly made public by you I wouldn't hold bother holding a grudge anyway.

What I am more upset to see it the availability of pirated copies of games that are still commercially available, which is sad to see. I think 99.99% of Jaguar gamers and collectors would rather pay $30-$100 bucks for an original copy of something for Jaguar than get pirated copy any day of the week, and for that I am greatful because hopefully it means that people will keep creating and publishing games for our beloved platform.

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

travis...

I don't hold a grudge. It won't stop me porting games, it just means I'll consider what happens with them after that part is done. It'd be 'nice' to see someone accept responsibility for this though.

Its the 2nd part of your post that is truly sad. We (and others) have stock with several online stores who paid up front. Stuff like this takes cash directly out of their pockets.

If you want to burn a freely available download then go for it, that's why they are there. If you want a box on a shelf to look at then buy one from one of the online stores, it's not like this stuff is hard to find.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 7

That blows ropey goat chunks now doesn't it!

Will the current list of games ported (sheesh, I had no idea it was that many!) still be available for download? I've been too busy to keep track of all of this so I was a little shocked when I saw the sheer number of games you had worked out. There must be some way to find out who it was.

This all still requires a JagCD to be able to play the games, right? It would be cool to try and work out a way to replace the missing R-Type music with a track on the CD. Maybe have a soundtrack load after the game. Is a bypass cart required?

I've been learning Raptor on and off as I program more, although it's fruitless until I can play my own stuff on the system. I'll have to get the CD player and whatnot for that so it's still just a dream for me. I would love to program something that really makes the system shine and people will want. Maybe an RPG like Phantasy Star but with suped up graphics.

Jag cd or skunkboard. Actually the skunkboard is better in this case as the st ports have full sound that the cd versions don't. I haven't been able to try the skunk versions yet due to my pc being in storage atm(I'm using my phone atm to be on AA).

This really does suck though...but I also must say thanks to CyranoJ for all he has done.

Edited by Gunstar

I used to consider myself a video game collector until I found out that term meant leaving stuff sealed and untouched. I am a player and open and use everything. It's good enough for me to have my collection used, but keep the stuff in mint condition. Though I have had to sell off stuff once in a while to pay the bills...but I always eventually buy duplicates of what I sell back when and if I can.

Are there games available to buy generic, that never came released originally on the Jaguar? Or people that make ROM's available? If it is from the person who distributes the code, I have no issue with paying money. I don't think that people should ruin it for the Jaguar community... I'm pretty new to the scene so I don't really know the full ins and outs, but... As a genuine Jaguar player (I hesitate to use the word 'collector' as I buy to play, even if it means unsealing a sealed game) I just want to have good games that are in a condition that Jaguar games would have come in originally, but in a manner that is reasonable and faithful to the effort put in from the person who makes/distributes the code... If that makes sense...

I used to consider myself a video game collector until I found out that term meant leaving stuff sealed and untouched. I am a player and open and use everything. It's good enough for me to have my collection used, but keep the stuff in mint condition. Though I have had to sell off stuff once in a while to pay the bills...but I always eventually buy duplicates of what I sell back when and if I can. For example I recently bought Towers Ii and Skyhammer from Songbird for, I think, the third time! LOL. Edited by Gunstar

I used to consider myself a video game collector until I found out that term meant leaving stuff sealed and untouched. I am a player and open and use everything. It's good enough for me to have my collection used, but keep the stuff in mint condition. Though I have had to sell off stuff once in a while to pay the bills...but I always eventually buy duplicates of what I sell back when and if I can. For example I recently bought Towers Ii and Skyhammer from Songbird for, I think, the third time! LOL.

Ahahahahaha well I'm only 18 so I'm not sure if I would count anyway 'D I just love the idea of being able to get quality homebrew games that are akin to how Jaguar games would have been 'back in the day'... Is there space for a publisher? I wouldn't mind producing games for other fans, not interested in profit...

Ahahahahaha well I'm only 18 so I'm not sure if I would count anyway 'D I just love the idea of being able to get quality homebrew games that are akin to how Jaguar games would have been 'back in the day'... Is there space for a publisher? I wouldn't mind producing games for other fans, not interested in profit...

It's good to see at least some young people enjoying classic systems from before their time. After all, us old fogies still enjoy the latest systems as well as the classics. We didn't just stand still in 80's and 90's time warps, we just go back and forth. Just last night I played Skyrim rpg on my 360, then played Towers II rpg on the Jag right after and tonight I will play more Skyrim then go way back to 1985 and play some Alternate Reality rpg on my 33-year-old Atari 1200XL! Of course even Skyrim is a few years old now, I haven't gotten an Xbox One yet, but maybe for Christmas.

I say go for it with Jaguar development! Hopefully I will be around to play your game(s). I have often thought about game programming myself, for many years, especially for the Jag or older Atari 8-bits, but I think I have AADD and don't think I have the patience or focus to get anywhere...especially since I only did some BASIC programming for a short time about 30 years ago...so I will probably just be a gamer for as long as I can still hold a controller.

Sorry for hijacking the thread guys...I'm done now...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Hello!

Any other guys on that list get any money? Groovey? Gorf? (LOL as if i care about that one) Songbird?

Reboot didn't.

Nor did i.

I did never gave any permission to copy my work (*) for commercial purposes.

Matthias

* = stuff like Double Feature #1, Impulse X, Jagmania, Jagmarble, or even the JeffMinter demos that i recompiled.