IGNORED

No more ST ports for you....

CyranoJ

.. I have more movies that we were going to put out, but all of a sudden sales have slowed way down, and I am wondering if this is the reason.

Lance

www.atarisales.com

I'll be ordering the whole set as soon as I finish my current project. :cool:

Didn't know those movies existed on Cinepak and ironically, only found out via this thread :P

Hope ya'll make more too.

I'll be ordering the whole set as soon as I finish my current project. :cool:

Didn't know those movies existed on Cinepak and ironically, only found out via this thread :P

Hope ya'll make more too.

thank you for the kind words and support. after reading your post, i got together with my team, and we will be doing some more soon. they will be box sets of course. what project are you doing?

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 1

Great, glad to hear that :)

Modding & repairing my Jeeps, heavier on the repairing-but that's more of an inescapable lifelong process than a 'project.' I shoulda worded that different :ponder:

Just Empty Every Pocket <--whoever came up with this was spot on :thumbsup:

thank you for the kind words and support. after reading your post, i got together with my team, and we will be doing some more soon. they will be box sets of course. what project are you doing?

lance

www.atarisales.com

Now box sets sound a lot more reasonable if they are $25 still and not more, I will be waiting to look into that myself. I'd rather have your ready-made cinepaks with the cases and all, just not for $25 for one movie...did I miss something when I was looking at your site? It looked like all single movies except for the Green Hornet (or was it green lantern?) series. Do you already sell box sets for $25? maybe I'm just confused about it all.

Edited by Gunstar

Now box sets sound a lot more reasonable if they are $25 still and not more, I will be waiting to look into that myself. I'd rather have your ready-made cinepaks with the cases and all, just not for $25 for one movie...did I miss something when I was looking at your site? It looked like all single movies except for the Green Hornet (or was it green lantern?) series. Do you already sell box sets for $25? maybe I'm just confused about it all.

yes you missed something. all are box sets but one, the stooges one is a stand alone. the green hornet ones are long serials, except the t.v. version, which also are multiple episodes and a movie. so please click on the title, look at the artwork, it explains what is in each box set.

http://members.tcq.net/video61/bct.html

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the cost of toner and DVD cases. Apparently that makes it all AAAAAYYEEE-OOOO-KAY.

there's probably less than 250 genuine Jaguar fans left on the Earth... and probably another 250 'collectards' - small pond to piss in, really.

There's a ton more than that, at least if you lump in casual fans or enthusiasts curious about the system. If it wasn't for the fact only a couple hundred thousand units were originally built (~235k iirc), you'd have a TON more casual ... or less casual but still heavily budget constrained enthusiasts tinkering around with the hardware. Lack of good emulators makes this all the worse there. (32xs have gotten pretty pricy in the last 5 years or so too ... also in the <1 million built category I believe, and many likely trashed, and necessary components -cables- missing; but there's good emulation to work with there at least -also very useful on the homebrew programmer end to quickly test things and easily share demos and WIP samples) Not to even get into the tiny number of Jag CDs floating around ... or their prices.

All that is the only reason I don't own a Jaguar ... don't have the money to spend on it and I missed out on looking into it back before it became a collector's item. That sort of exclusivity ruins a lot of the fun of it ... even more so for those of us who get a lot of enjoyment out of the bargain hunting end of things too. (honestly that was at least half of my interest in getting into old Atari stuff And Sega stuff -tons of MD/Genesis stuff still pretty cheap to find ... unlike their Nintendo counterparts ... playing around with old PC games and hardware too for that matter -granted, I'm a little spoiled having Weirdstuff Warehouse around here ... not sure if there's many other cheap mass collections of old computer parts around)

Yeah that can't and won't happen.

But at the same time, this leeching off the devs can't be allowed to continue and we need to know who is involved.

It's not just us who put money into making the games that are getting screwed over, it's also the people like Console5, Good Deal Games, RGCD and Atari Age who put up big lumps of cash themselves to take stocks or produce these games that are being chucked out on crappy CD-R for a fraction of the cost it takes to do it properly and compensate everyone involved who put their own time/money/effort in.

I'd think countering misinformation would be more productive than outright STOPPING piracy or ... well, just false advertising really. There's so much time and energy wasted in the COMMERCIAL game industry on this crap that just makes people bitter and drives up the production cost in the end. Try to minimize the number of stupid, uninformed buyers out there getting unwittingly ripped off and/or unwittingly paying for something not contributing to the source creators. (totally informed and willful piracy is another matter, not to get into the ins and outs of that ... good ... bad, ambiguous or whatever)

Especially in a case where someone's misrepresenting free software as non-free (ie not clearly defining that they're selling a pre-packaged physical copy of a freely distributed piece of software available online, but claiming it HAS to be paid for in the licensing sense -not the 'convenience of having a ready-made case/disc/etc). Though, honestly, another solution there would be setting up informative sales of similar bundles, legitimately listed for what they are without stupidly jacked up prices. -- It's nearly identical to a piece of open-source software being treated the same way ... technically closer to closed-source shareware (with open source you've got some additional insulting misinformation there) but it's a similar problem. (And true open source comes to mind given that's the direction Chilly Willy took his 32x development toolchain and I think all his existing demos and sample code ... the only way you can really steal open-source is by misrepresenting it as something else)

As someone who has to work really hard not to get pissed off and react stupidly to things, I've given this kind of thing a lot of though and really ... it's not worth ruining things over. (if you can figure out a BETTER way to do things that minimizes stupidity, fine ... but if the only options are 'do it in spite of idiots' or 'don't do it at all' ... it seems a horrible waste to take the latter route) A lot of this stuff comes down to anger or personal offense/grievance rather than anything practical one way or the other ... I understand that some people just can't tolerate that sort of thing when it happens to them, but that just makes it all the worse. (knowing someone's been hurt AND knowing things are screwed up because of it ... nothing productive coming out of things being halted at all, no real reason for it other than the inability to cope with continuing -not saying that isn't a legitimate reason, but I don't see it helping anything)

And a side-note on organized commercial releases vs 'crappy CD-Rs' ... commercial pressed disc runs can be WORSE than cheap CD-R burns as Pier Solar's team discovered. (those silkscreened first edition CDs are nice collectors items but ... they're pretty much crap in practical use -far too sloppy to work on many Sega CD drives, with the main workaround being to copy and burn the image to a CD-R using a linear burn-rate)

Edit: I should add that I only read the first page of this thread (a bit unlike me), but the topic really struck a chord with me so I felt I had to say something ... maybe not as eloquently as I should have though. No disrespect to the community intended.

That and a of my points were just expanding on what sh3-rg already said here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243281-no-more-st-ports-for-you/?do=findComment&comment=3333994

Edited by kool kitty89

So, I will not name any names. If the people responsible want to come forward (unlikely) then that's up to them.

Today I received this PM:

I responded with a 'they are not for sale where did you buy them' and was told:

Along with this image (So it looks like they're ripping off covers posted here on AA as well)

$_57.JPG

I have a fairly good idea that the person involved is one of three obvious names to spring to mind.

In any case, that's it. No more binaries from me. Direct your hate to the people responsible.

There is always somebody that is going to screw it up...

Edited by CrazyChris
  • Like 1

Well,..... while we are all waiting for a certain someone to chime in here, I'll answer questions posed to me..

Here's the links to those videos i did:

I love cinepak too and have been meaning to learn to make them my self. Ovalbugman, is there some place to download what yoy have done already? I have a few things, don't know if you made them or not...but would like some old grainy movies without paying the extravigant prices video 61 charges...as much or more than bluerays?!? The guy is nuts!

For the record, I love the Cinepak you make. Only wish my darn adapter would've worked so I coulda helped make cool stuff.

Anyway, hope I get one of those PM's. It would be awesome to watch something new/old on my JagCD at Halloween this year. If not, I'll stick to the Night of the Living Dead. :cool:

Apologies for the added derailment :P ROMs only sounds like a great solution and I hope you, CJ (and everyone) employ the idea. Even though the cd is awesome to use, beggars can't be choosers and I'm just happy being able to play the games. :thumbsup:

Here's an updated list for the download URLs for the Jag mov cds I did, many of the ones from the previous post above had their urls busted when mega changed their url.

Atari Jaguar CD Player Cinepak Files:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
American Hero AVI files.rar
AmericanHero-MOV-A-CD1of2-Encrypted!.cdi
AmericanHero-MOV-A-CD2of2-Encrypted!.cdi
AmericanHero-MovieA-CD1of2-UNC.cdi
AmericanHero-MovieA-CD2of2-UNC.cdi
AmericanHero-MovieB-CD1of1-UNC.cdi
AmericanHero1of3.cdi
AmericanHero2of3.cdi
AmericanHero3of3.cdi
AtariJaguarTheCaveInfommercial.iso
Dead-CD1of3.cdi
Dead-CD2of3.cdi
Dead-CD3of3.cdi
ElectronicEntertainmentExpo1995CD1of3.cdi
ElectronicEntertainmentExpo1995CD2of3.cdi
ElectronicEntertainmentExpo1995CD3of3.cdi
PressConference1of2.cdi
PressConference2of2.cdi
Tron Clips Test Disc1.cdi
Tron Clips Test Disc2.cdi
-------------------------------------------------
20 files on MEGA, hopefully will post more there. :)

Updated MEGA Cinepak files.txt

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 1