IGNORED

Fallout 4 thread

glazball

I've now made up my own quests:

1. Collect all the holotapes pertaining to a certain criminal

2. Collecting & organizing various power armors. I think I'm up to 8 power armors now. Not all are complete, but I have a nice metal mini airplaine hangar to hoard them in. They were taking up too much room in the nearby house.

170 hours and level 95 and I've finished everything, I think that's pretty nice. I think I'll be putting it away until dlc comes out.

Wow, I wish I had that time! So far I've put in about 30 game hours and I'm level 25. But I'm spending a good deal of time doing side quests for the BoS and working on the settlements.

170 hours and level 95 and I've finished everything, I think that's pretty nice. I think I'll be putting it away until dlc comes out.

Wow, good job! You must be in school or took some time off of work right? I'm not sure how many hours I've put in so far, but I'm closing in on level 40 and still have just a ton of shit to do and many places to explore. I haven't even begun to explore the south and northeast areas of the map. I also haven't begun messing with building settlements and workshop stuff.

I haven't had much trouble with surviving since the beginning of the game. All my points initially went to Rifleman, Action Boy, Scrounger, lockpicking and hacking and now I'm always fully stocked. I think I have 180+ stimpaks, tons of food and 200+ bobby pins! I really get a kick out of the Idiot Savant perk too. Every time it procs, the sound effect makes me chuckle :P

Wow, good job! You must be in school or took some time off of work right? I'm not sure how many hours I've put in so far, but I'm closing in on level 40 and still have just a ton of shit to do and many places to explore. I haven't even begun to explore the south and northeast areas of the map. I also haven't begun messing with building settlements and workshop stuff.

I haven't had much trouble with surviving since the beginning of the game. All my points initially went to Rifleman, Action Boy, Scrounger, lockpicking and hacking and now I'm always fully stocked. I think I have 180+ stimpaks, tons of food and 200+ bobby pins! I really get a kick out of the Idiot Savant perk too. Every time it procs, the sound effect makes me chuckle :P

nope, during the late fall and winter rain and snow makes exercising outdoors unappealing so when I get home from work I always exercise for 3-4 hours on an exercise bike,

also if you want to speed up levels get the idiot savant up to level 3, when the skill goes off in heavy combat amount of experience is crazy

I've now made up my own quests:

1. Collect all the holotapes pertaining to a certain criminal

2. Collecting & organizing various power armors. I think I'm up to 8 power armors now. Not all are complete, but I have a nice metal mini airplaine hangar to hoard them in. They were taking up too much room in the nearby house.

for number 2, watch out, your settlers will steal your power armor if the settlement is attacked

Not sure of the actual hours I've put in. My saves are saying 7days+ but I suspect they are bloated because sometimes I step away for a bit and leave the character in game.

I'm at level 75 and have also finished the main quest, which was disappointing to me. In fact I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of any type of real branching storyline. I read the blog of a person that played through the game twice using two exact opposite builds, and made the complete opposite choices in the way he responded in conversations, and it confirmed what i suspected. He said basically 95% of game played out the same, and with the single instance towards the end (which forces you make some pretty lame decisions) having any actual major effect on the storyline of the game. You would think with a game this big, on the current gen systems, you could play a open twice and have some big choices that would majorly change aspects of the game, and make it fun to actually play through again. Too much to ask I guess.

There were some other things about the game I wasn't crazy about. I liked the crafting and building of settlements, and it was fun at first, but over time seemed completely unnecessary. I never felt like anything was really gained by taking the time to set up and defend a settlement. Maybe I missed something. Sometimes you would be asked to help defend them, which would be really cool, in a kind of Strategy Defense type situation. I love those types of games and it's important to build in a certain way to ensure survival. But more often than not, I wouldn't even see that my help was needed, and I would just get a message that said I failed. Not that it mattered, you don't think you get experience for helping, and even if you failed the settlement would eventually be back up and running. Usually I could just show up to the settlement and stand around until it said I completed helping. You pretty much can just willy nilly throw up some prefab building, lots of beds, some food and water resources, and defenses. Then walk away and not look back. There could have been a REAL cool aspect of the game there, but it seems like they chose not to take advantage of it.

I do like the game, I've played it nonstop since it came. It just didn't wow me. Not the way say Oblivion did, or heck even Fallout 3. Was expecting more I guess, but not sorry I played through it.

Not sure of the actual hours I've put in. My saves are saying 7days+ but I suspect they are bloated because sometimes I step away for a bit and leave the character in game.

I'm at level 75 and have also finished the main quest, which was disappointing to me. In fact I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of any type of real branching storyline. I read the blog of a person that played through the game twice using two exact opposite builds, and made the complete opposite choices in the way he responded in conversations, and it confirmed what i suspected. He said basically 95% of game played out the same, and with the single instance towards the end (which forces you make some pretty lame decisions) having any actual major effect on the storyline of the game. You would think with a game this big, on the current gen systems, you could play a open twice and have some big choices that would majorly change aspects of the game, and make it fun to actually play through again. Too much to ask I guess.

There were some other things about the game I wasn't crazy about. I liked the crafting and building of settlements, and it was fun at first, but over time seemed completely unnecessary. I never felt like anything was really gained by taking the time to set up and defend a settlement. Maybe I missed something. Sometimes you would be asked to help defend them, which would be really cool, in a kind of Strategy Defense type situation. I love those types of games and it's important to build in a certain way to ensure survival. But more often than not, I wouldn't even see that my help was needed, and I would just get a message that said I failed. Not that it mattered, you don't think you get experience for helping, and even if you failed the settlement would eventually be back up and running. Usually I could just show up to the settlement and stand around until it said I completed helping. You pretty much can just willy nilly throw up some prefab building, lots of beds, some food and water resources, and defenses. Then walk away and not look back. There could have been a REAL cool aspect of the game there, but it seems like they chose not to take advantage of it.

I do like the game, I've played it nonstop since it came. It just didn't wow me. Not the way say Oblivion did, or heck even Fallout 3. Was expecting more I guess, but not sorry I played through it.

I think the settlements are there to guarantee post game activities and to tap into that mine craft build stuff appeal, though that defense stuff seems random as all possible, some people seem to rarely get attacked at all or only face weak threats, meanwhile my Abernathy farm and slog are routinely attacked by incredibly power armies of gunners and super mutants (like attacks of over a dozen enemies and at least 4 or 5 of the highest ranked type) meanwhile my brother has never been attacked by anything but weak raider parties,

I'm really curious as to how they programmed that aspect because it seems completely bonkers,

I'm really curious as to how they programmed that aspect because it seems completely bonkers,

The sad thing is it could have been an awesome feature. I would love for some boy to come running up and tell me some HUGE attack was about to take place at a certain settlement in the next 24 hours, and actually want to drop what I was doing to say beef up defenses and protect my assets at the settlement, with a big experience bonus and chances at legendary items. As it is, I pretty much don't care if a settlement gets attacked. I do understand the craft build appeal, and do think it was a great idea, just wish they made it matter more.

I have experienced some pretty intense attacks, and they were fun, but most are nothing. You show up kill a guy or two, move on. Hell sometime I show up and nothings going on. I wait around. Nothing. Talk to people. Nothing. Wait a few hours. Nothing. Sleep 12 hours. Nothing. Leave and come back. Nothing. Talk to people. Nothing. Then finally give up and move on into the wasteland. Two minutes later FAILED TO DEFEND SETTLEMENT. Ummmm ok whatever. LOL

The sad thing is it could have been an awesome feature. I would love for some boy to come running up and tell me some HUGE attack was about to take place at a certain settlement in the next 24 hours, and actually want to drop what I was doing to say beef up defenses and protect my assets at the settlement, with a big experience bonus and chances at legendary items. As it is, I pretty much don't care if a settlement gets attacked. I do understand the craft build appeal, and do think it was a great idea, just wish they made it matter more.

I have experienced some pretty intense attacks, and they were fun, but most are nothing. You show up kill a guy or two, move on. Hell sometime I show up and nothings going on. I wait around. Nothing. Talk to people. Nothing. Wait a few hours. Nothing. Sleep 12 hours. Nothing. Leave and come back. Nothing. Talk to people. Nothing. Then finally give up and move on into the wasteland. Two minutes later FAILED TO DEFEND SETTLEMENT. Ummmm ok whatever. LOL

those one's with nothing are one or more of your settlers are a synth,

it would be nice if they had more fanfare to them and , and made any sense, like I said, for me Abernathy and slog get attacked and both have great defenses, but several others have terrible defense and huge productions and have never been attacked.

unfortunately I think they tried the balancing act, keep their importance down so the people that don't want to build them don't have to

I like the game, but not like I liked F3 and New Vegas. They lost nearly all of the RPG aspect, and gained extended crafting and building, which are my two least favorite activities in game. The dialog choices don't really matter, there's no faction system that I can see and that makes any kind of real difference, there's no overall karma, and the game is way too easy. I rarely even put on my power armor.You don't gain skills from, say lockpicking, you just get a bit of exp. Then select the next level of the perk and bang your'e now an expert. I'm no longer in the position of having to practice lock-pick, I can ignore that completely and just select the perk and I'll be an expert.

I think it's pretty,and big, and I like the gunplay improvements, but overall they lost some key aspects that make it just not the same kind of thing to me.

Maybe they had too many focus groups that were full of non-players, dumbasses, and smartphone users.

"When I rub my finger on the screen, nothing happens! I want pieces of candy to drop down so I can match three or more!"

"I like zombies. Give me more zombies!"

"Choices scare me. I don't like interaction. Can you just have the game play by itself?"

"If I wanted to pick locks, I'd work for the government. Just let me open stuff."

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finished it at level 54, it was good and I enjoyed it but two things are a bust for me and need to improve in the future:

#1 Remove the insane amount of crafting and settlement building.

Keep crafting and junk collecting to a minimum and make settlement building a downloadable add-on or even a separate game. If they would have put more into the story/characters/choices/endings (Role Playing) instead of the crafting/building I think it would have been a better experience overall. As such, the settlements when all is said and done, are generic places that dont really matter. I got tired of it after a while, at one point I only built what I minimally needed for a settlement, added defense and left. After getting all the settlements I farmed XP and "like's" just by repeatedly visiting Preston Garvey. Kill the Ghouls, Kill the raiders, kill the super mutants. Repeat.

#2 Enough with the fast travel. Not every damn crypt, lemonade stand and market needs to be a fast travel spot!!!

I really appreciated fast travel in this game and it saved me loads of time but when I think about it...there was absolutely ZERO immersion because of it. Only in the beginning hours of the game did I feel it a little bit. The shear amount of fast travel spots combined with settlement building (minecraft) completely spoiled the immersion for me. Towards the end of the game it would literally take me 2-5 minutes to finish a "Kill the raider\mutant\ghoul\courser mission", most of that time was spent on the loading screens:

Fast Travel (load screen), Enter a door (load screen), pop the monster, Exit door (load screen), Fast Travel back (load screen).

Unlike Skyrim and Oblivion I really have no interest in playing it again (because of the settlement building mainly). A shame since its such a huge world. Again, I did like it (except for the above two gripes), story was good, could have been better if more focus was on that. I'd give it a solid 8.

Finished it at level 54, it was good and I enjoyed it but two things are a bust for me and need to improve in the future:

#1 Remove the insane amount of crafting and settlement building.

That isn't the first time I've seen that complaint. One reviewer said he was overwhelmed by junk. I don't like that aspect of RPS so I'm getting worried that I won't enjoy the game. I bought it before Xmas as part of a B2G1 sale, and I'm starting to have buyer's remorse before I've even started the game.

That isn't the first time I've seen that complaint. One reviewer said he was overwhelmed by junk. I don't like that aspect of RPS so I'm getting worried that I won't enjoy the game. I bought it before Xmas as part of a B2G1 sale, and I'm starting to have buyer's remorse before I've even started the game.

I think you'll enjoy it if you know a few important things before you start.

If your like me, I would play the game, get to the point where you unlock two settlements. Sanctuary Hills and Red Rocket. Establish one of them as your home base (to store all your junk) and stop talking to the Minutemen (Preston Garvey) after that.

In other words, I suggest building one or two settlements then skipping the entire Minutemen quests (which basically only involve building/recruiting settlements). Build the first two settlements and never report back to the head guy called Preston Garvey. He will continue to give you settlement stuff forever if your report back to him (Infinitely).

There's nothing more annoying than being in the middle of a major mission and getting a message: "Your X settlement is being attacked!".

This is a post I agree with for the most part,

Six things I wish I'd known before starting Fallout 4:

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-guide/

Settlement building can be a lot of fun but it can cause burn out and its a timesink. Also each faction I think has a side quest that's pretty repititive. Go somewhere, kill something, get loot. Repeat. Some of them "end" and some don't. Its a way to farm XP etc. So if you see a mission repeat itself you know you can always quit those and do them later.

I just think the settlement part of the game should have been an add-on and not part of the main game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I snagged the remaining few achievements I needed for this game today. I think I'm done with it till there is some DLC.

I'll say I got my money's worth for sure. The game should have been a lot more than what it turned out being in my opinion. Hopefully they release some DLC that makes all those settlements I've set up actually matter.

I have yet to finish this game as i am playing it in small amounts, but as others i am not too keen on the settlement aspect. In my opinion it turns one aspect of the game to just "The Sims: Fallout" with first person view and crazed lunatic murderers attacking the settlement from time to time.

I have played every single Fallout game to date and i dont know if i like or dislike that armor and weapons take damage. Sure, the current system eliminates some strategy from the game but on the other hand it also makes you not carry around 4 sets of each gun you have just in case one breaks and you need spare parts. The F3 and FNV system of condition was too stupid for me to take to heart. "Oh your gun broke. Good thing you have 5 more to smash together into 1 gun to fix it and the rest of the guns disappear into the void".

I love the surroundings, the huge map and the attention to detail the devs put into the world. Absolutely amazing, and rivals that they made for Skyrim. I constantly find myself staring at functionally useless things just because i think it looks great.

I absolutely DETEST the decision to omit the "Hardcore" mode from New Vegas from the game. The mode where you couldn't save whenever you wanted and had to sleep, eat and drink as well as ammunition having weight added to it so you couldnt just run around with thousands of rounds for every concievable gun wherever you go. In my mind that decision alone makes it impossible for me to rank it as high as i want to. I believe it is absolutely ridiculous to interact in a world where people around you complain about lack of food, water, medicine and safe housing when the player him/herself can just go by without ever eating, drinking or sleeping in the whole game.

For me, this is the most critical strategic aspect of this game. Do you bring 2 guns and ample of ammo, or do you bring a wider selection of 4 or 5 guns for many situations but with a smaller amount of ammo for them? Do you bring ample food and water supplies but risk not having room for loot in the inventory or do you hope your destination got plenty of food & water and carry just what is needed for the trip and svae space for stuff to take back?

Enough ranting. Game is good. In fact, i got a bit hyped just writing this so i'm off to continue the main quest.

Edited by Raticon

I finished the game this weekend and just have one more trophy to wrap up - Benevolent Leader (get 100% happiness in a settlement). I've been reading it's a frustrating trophy to earn but I'll stick it out to earn the platinum.

Like a few of you have said - the game is great but the settlement building is really a tacked-on waste of time. I never bothered with it, nor felt the need to defend any settlement being attacked (the one time I tried, there were no attackers). Also, certain RPG elements were lacking. It rarely mattered what speech choice you pick and the ending barely changes on what faction you side with. I play RPGs very frugally, scrimping and saving every last rupee/gold piece/bottlecap. I have about 68,000 caps and have NEVER had to spend any until post game while working on the Benevolent Leader trophy. I feel like I wasted countless hours hoarding items and saving, for no reason.

All in all, I did highly enjoy my stay in the Commonwealth but I'm ready to move on to something a bit more light-hearted now. Shovel Knight, I'm looking in your direction...

Did anyone find a flying saucer crash site?

Just occured to me I read you can stumble across a downed flying saucer and obtain a ray gun, but I never saw anything like that.

Any ideas?

Oh it's there, just like Fallout 3 and New Vegas has saucers.

I found it. but it isn't there in the beginning, it crashes somewhere mid-game.

I was walking along with a certain companion and it screamed past overhead in an east-to-west direction, blazing with flames and smoke like something was wrong. The crash resonates like a small nuclear blast and it's impossible to miss. I immediately headed that way and after some searching i found the saucer smashed into the ground, with small fires around it and wrecked trees. No alien or ray-gun though until i saw a puddle of green goo on the ground near the UFO and decided to track it...

It was one of the most exciting moments in this game.