IGNORED

Fallout 4 thread

glazball

I love fallout 4 so far. Building settlements was a cool Idea, but I only really concentrate on the larger ones. The small ones I never set up to attract settlers, though I may set them up for a loot chest and a place to sleep. The only small ones I have are ones that already had people in them when I started, I just upgrade their preexisiting turrets (if they had any) and build walls and fences around the weak points.

It does get annoying when your balls deep in a building and one yells for help. AS near as I can tell, it won't start the battle till you get there though, or you get close enough for the settlement to load.

I do miss needing to upkeep your weapons. It makes the billions you collect mostly useless, I just build a store and sell the extras, they pay for their selves. What is it with modern adventure rpg types nixxing the upkeep on your stuff? Skyrim did that, and it's one of the few flaws of the game (outside of the game never being completed, but that's another rant)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just started playing Far Harbor in between Doom and other things.

My my is it a huge island with tons of fog and framerate issues.

Its pretty cool and could be great of they would patch it so it runs better. Harpoon guns are interesting weapons. :)

Anyone try this on console? Its kind of hard getting back into Fallout 4 but there is a chance of getting hooked again with this add on IMO. Just hit level 60 with about 4 hours into this.

Harpoon gun is fun but my favorite is still the two shot gauss rifle mine hits for over 600 damage I can literally one shot everything in the wasteland lol.

I received a hat from one of the far harbor quests which increased my movement speed by 10%, which actually made the WHOLE game run faster and smoother on my Ps4, amazed this wasn't the speed originally in the game, it plays as it should now, NEVER taking off this hat lol.

I'm at level 94 currently and still enjoying Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 :)

Edited by JaguarBrett
  • Like 1

Harpoon gun is fun but my favorite is still the two shot gauss rifle mine hits for over 600 damage I can literally one shot everything in the wasteland lol.

I received a hat from one of the far harbor quests which increased my movement speed by 10%, which actually made the WHOLE game run faster and smoother on my Ps4, amazed this wasn't the speed originally in the game, it plays as it should now, NEVER taking off this hat lol.

I'm at level 94 currently and still enjoying Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 :)

Nice. Is it the Captain's Hat? I have that but haven't put it on yet. Says 10% movement speed boost. I do around 600 or more with my pistol when sneaking and it gives me an insane amount of extra AP. (I dumped all my points into Gunslinger etc.)

By the way, without giving out spoilers there is a puzzle game (a really lengthy 16 bit type thing) that happens mid-way through the game. Doing most of it is good enough. The final part is optional and I ditched it. You'll know what puzzle I'm talking about, thought I'd mention it cause me and a friend of mine didn't care for it and neither it seems did other people after looking around to see if it was optional or not.

I binged last night on Far Harbor. The radiation is EVERYWHERE, and leaded armor won't do a darn thing.

However, I'm impressed by the amount of content is in the game. There's more people with original names at the beginning spot, more than you expect for NPCs in a typical town.

On average, I'm hitting 2-3 hours a night on it, and enjoying it.

I really enjoyed Far Habour. I played it for most of yesterday and finally finished it after about 25 hours. It's longer and more detailed then the last DLC (Automotion, I think was the name of it) and the Far Habour land mass is HUGE, with a lot of neat things to find and explore. I can offer some tips for anyone who is going to play it:

1) You can pick which of the three factions to side with -- the town of Far Harbor, Arcadia, or the Children of Atom as part of the main quest. In addition, if you're with either the BOS or the Institute you can also bring them in to resolve things.

2) High level characters are a must, as there are lots of combats and some nasty new foes.

3) Bring Nick with you as your companion. Without giving anything away, there are 'plot reasons' for that. :)

4) If you don't have it yet, the Aquaboy perk is GREAT to have here, at least the first level which gives you no radition damage in water and able to breathe underwater. You're going to spend a LOT of time in the water and some side quests ask you to dive down to get items from sunken ships.

5) With the Children of the Atom you're going to spend a lot of time in their base which is filled with radition, so bring either a anti-rad suit or a lot of Rad Away and Rad-X.

6) There's a vault here on the island, hidden inside the hotel. It's optional but worth finding cause in the vault you get to do a great murder mystery quest.

7) Toward the end of the main quest line you get to play five rounds of a virtual AI game that reminds me a lot of Portal with puzzle solving and you can't die. I happened to enjoy it, and while it's optional the bonuses you get for finishing them are very good.

8) For the best results in the main quest it's worth doing all the side quest stuff first.

9) Once you reach Far Harbor you can fast travel back and forth between it and the Commonwealh at will, so don't worry about that. The boat ride is just to get their the first time.

10) Yes, there are settlements up here also....at least four, that's as many as I found when I was doing things.

My character is up to level 67.

Here's hoping another DLC comes out at least, cause this one was very good. :)

BTW, I'm running the PC version and no problems with lag or bugs.

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 1

I have the season pass but have yet to play either of the new content choices.

The game as a whole left a sour taste in my mouth, not because of the gameplay or the current world both of which were GREAT, but forcing me to make an ultimate choice towards the end of the game which seemed to make everything that happened prior to that moment....completely unnecessary. It was shock that just made me want to focus on something else. To date I still have a lot more fun booting up the ol 360 than I do turning on the One. Go figure. I guess I should try out Far Harbor. Hopefully progression isn't near as structured as the main game.

Go figure. I guess I should try out Far Harbor. Hopefully progression isn't near as structured as the main game.

I hear ya. You kinda have to make some choices in this as well but its not nearly as a huge deal as the main game. The thing I didn't like about Fallout 4 is including settlement building (minecrafting) as part of the main game. It just doesn't fit in. It would be a cool add on, I would definitely like it as a seperate thing but throwing it into the main game just wasn't what I was looking for. For me it took away a lot of what time could be spent in the world. When you think about it Skyrim and Oblivion are insanely bigger than Fallout 4 in terms of storytelling lore etc. Not blaming it all on settlement building but I guess people are having fun with it. Not so much myself.

fallout-4-mario-billboard-1-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else go out of their way to outfit their settlers with really good armor & weapons?

Since I was collecting all this loot from dead gunners/raiders/etc, I might as well give it to good people.

Yes I put a lot of focus on building up my settlements. Clothing (Or unclothing) settlers and giving them weapons. Rigging up lights and weapons. Now if only there was a real reason to do it, beyond an occasional attack that really means nothing regardless if you show up or not. Another lost opportunity and something else to be disappointed about in my opinion.

I suspected more DLC was coming out for Fallout 4 and I was right -- three new ones announced.

The first one dropping next week and the second in July are just workshop expansions, but the third in August is called Nuka-Cola World, and is set in a amusement park with new quests, items, enemies, etc. Sounds like a good one. I thought Far Harbor was awesome.

I suspected more DLC was coming out for Fallout 4 and I was right -- three new ones announced.

The first one dropping next week and the second in July are just workshop expansions, but the third in August is called Nuka-Cola World, and is set in a amusement park with new quests, items, enemies, etc. Sounds like a good one. I thought Far Harbor was awesome.

Maybe they'll let the player build roller coasters.

The Nuka-Cola world is supposed to be the last one. As far as larger DLC, there was the mechanist, Far Harbor (didn't get to that yet), and Nuka-Cola. I supposed that last one will tell if the price increase for the season pass was worth it or not.

Anyone try any mods? I am still playing the main game, and once you add a mod, achievements are off.

• 7 months later...

I've been playing Fallout 4 whenever I can steal time here and there. Is all of the DLC worth getting or should some of it be avoided?

I'm only up to level 12, so I haven't done that much. Building stuff is more fun compared to what you could do in Skyrim with those prefabricated chunks of houses. Speaking of building stuff, I'd like to be able to plop down a workshop anywhere in the world and collect all of the scrap in the area. There are a lot of old cars and other stuff cluttering up the landscape that could be used to make what I need.

I've been playing Fallout 4 whenever I can steal time here and there. Is all of the DLC worth getting or should some of it be avoided?

I'm only up to level 12, so I haven't done that much. Building stuff is more fun compared to what you could do in Skyrim with those prefabricated chunks of houses. Speaking of building stuff, I'd like to be able to plop down a workshop anywhere in the world and collect all of the scrap in the area. There are a lot of old cars and other stuff cluttering up the landscape that could be used to make what I need.

With regard to purchasing all of the DLC, it depends. If you are really into building stuff, then you probably just want the Wasteland Workshop, Contraptions, and Vault-Tec Workshop.

If you are like me and enjoy more stories and side quests, then just get Automatron, Far Harbor, and Nuka World (HINT:If you play your character as an evil person, you will definitely want Nuka World!) If you like all of the above, then get them all! :)

There are mods available that supposedly allow you to drop a workshop anywhere in the world, however, I've had little success with them. There are also mods that allow you to scrap leaves, garbage, etc. at pre-existing workbench sites, which is pretty cool. If you have an Xbox One, then you have a lot of really cool mods you can do to the game! If you have a PS4 (like me) then you are screwed because Sony will only allow mods that use in game assets. So we lose out on a lot of cool mods that the Xbox community gets to enjoy. :sad:

• Like 1

I got the season pass. I played through once before any DLC came out, and then again after it all came out. Aside from how it starts and ends, it was almost like playing a New Vegas style sequel, there's so much content in all of the DLC, you can ignore almost all of the core game aside from what you need to do for the main story.

That said, Far Harbor was the best, Automatron was fun, Nuka World had an interesting concept, but a lot of the content boils down to fetch quests, which was a bit disappointing. The Workshop DLCs are really only useful if you want to play Minecraft in Fallout.

• Like 1

With regard to purchasing all of the DLC, it depends. If you are really into building stuff, then you probably just want the Wasteland Workshop, Contraptions, and Vault-Tec Workshop.

If you are like me and enjoy more stories and side quests, then just get Automatron, Far Harbor, and Nuka World (HINT:If you play your character as an evil person, you will definitely want Nuka World!) If you like all of the above, then get them all! :)

There are mods available that supposedly allow you to drop a workshop anywhere in the world, however, I've had little success with them. There are also mods that allow you to scrap leaves, garbage, etc. at pre-existing workbench sites, which is pretty cool. If you have an Xbox One, then you have a lot of really cool mods you can do to the game! If you have a PS4 (like me) then you are screwed because Sony will only allow mods that use in game assets. So we lose out on a lot of cool mods that the Xbox community gets to enjoy. :sad:

Thanks for the info. I have a PS4, but I see that you have to sign up with the company for mods, so they can suck it. I'm not going through another registration process just to download some crappy mods that may or may not work properly.

I got the season pass. I played through once before any DLC came out, and then again after it all came out. Aside from how it starts and ends, it was almost like playing a New Vegas style sequel, there's so much content in all of the DLC, you can ignore almost all of the core game aside from what you need to do for the main story.

That said, Far Harbor was the best, Automatron was fun, Nuka World had an interesting concept, but a lot of the content boils down to fetch quests, which was a bit disappointing. The Workshop DLCs are really only useful if you want to play Minecraft in Fallout.

Thanks for the additional info. I hate Minecraft, but only because it has that old 1990s Doom look (blocky and pixelated). It bothers my eyes. I like Sim City, Civilization, and other games that let players create and play. Since Fallout 4 graphics are smooth looking and easy on the eyes, I should like the Workshop stuff.

I started another play through recently, taking a different approach. Once I am done with any achievements I still want, I'll give mods a try.

I saw Nuka-Cola as interesting, but wasted opportunity to so something more. Far Harbor was pretty good. In my first play through, I'd liked making sentry robots to defend settlements. It seems like you can't put Strong and a robot in the same settlement. After playing awhile elsewhere, I came back to that settlement and heard "Strong smashed Robot!". The robot was no where to be found.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i started another playthrough of this game since i bought my wife the GOTY on Steam a week or two back when it was on sale. why oh why do i do this to myself? lol

i've beaten the game twice i think (Institute and Minutemen), but I'm doing Railroad this time through- i'm focusing a more stealth-based sniper-type build and so far it's a lot of fun.

is anyone else still going through the Boston wastes or are you jumping ship for West Virginia? (full disclosure, my son and wife are really excited about 76, me notsomuch)

• 4 weeks later...