IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic April 9th and 10th 2016

Dan Iacovelli

I have nothing against big shows like CGE,MGC,Etc.. I would love have VGS grow as big those,but it cost major bucks to grow that big and that also means booths would also be higher

because the vendor fees is what actually covers the cost of the show.

the odeum is costing me 1500 comapred to at the heron where it only 1/2 that in order have real big I see it costing way over 2000. the tent mgc uses cost as much as new car.

• Like 1

I'd like to attend the MGC when Al decides and others from AA attend there too.

There are plenty of AAers that go every year, it's AA itself that's the holdout. I'd love for Albert to come back, but I understand it's difficult with the other shows he does, and I know he has his reasons.

Just out of curiosity, were there any incidents like that drunk whom spilled beer on the Primal Rage II machine last year?

None that I recall. I think the beer was restricted to at least one area, and that's the Games, Guys and Beer room.

Just out of curiosity, were there any incidents like that drunk whom spilled beer on the Primal Rage II machine last year?

No, but there was a drunk who was making color copies of the wristbands for the afterparty and selling/distributing them in the parking lot and was arrested. Same guy who was trying to armwrestle Ben Heckendorn (I think it was) last year, I heard.

To my surprise, Primal Rage II returned this year. If I were the owner, there's no way I'd be bringing it back after what happened last year, even with the new--and I must say well-enforced-- policy on open beverages.

It's because of that incident that Scott at Underground Retrocade *always* reminds me, when I buy a drink there, to keep it up front away from the machines. He knows I'm careful, but at the same time the most careful person in the world could have one eff-up. (Case in point: spilling a bottle of Cherry Coke on my brand-new MacBook Pro last month.) Whenever I'm at the Retrocade or the Ghost, I absolutely refuse to go anywhere near a machine with a drink. What kills me, though, is that at Silverball in Asbury Park, NJ, they actually have *drink holders* on their antique pinball machines....

• Like 1

It's because of that incident that Scott at Underground Retrocade *always* reminds me, when I buy a drink there, to keep it up front away from the machines. He knows I'm careful, but at the same time the most careful person in the world could have one eff-up. (Case in point: spilling a bottle of Cherry Coke on my brand-new MacBook Pro last month.) Whenever I'm at the Retrocade or the Ghost, I absolutely refuse to go anywhere near a machine with a drink. What kills me, though, is that at Silverball in Asbury Park, NJ, they actually have *drink holders* on their antique pinball machines....

Galloping Ghost does allow drinks near the machines, but they must be on a table or on the floor. Nowhere near a cab.

No, but there was a drunk who was making color copies of the wristbands for the afterparty and selling/distributing them in the parking lot and was arrested. Same guy who was trying to armwrestle Ben Heckendorn (I think it was) last year, I heard.

To my surprise, Primal Rage II returned this year. If I were the owner, there's no way I'd be bringing it back after what happened last year, even with the new--and I must say well-enforced-- policy on open beverages.

Was it a long-haired dude named Miles? Heard he got arrested Saturday night.

• Like 1

Probably the same guy. The guys from Nintendo Age mentioned how he was trouble last year as well, they didn't say what exactly he did though.

Passed out drunk in the stairwell on both nights. Or so I heard. That in addition to trying to arm wrestle Ben.

• Like 1

Probably the same guy. The guys from Nintendo Age mentioned how he was trouble last year as well, they didn't say what exactly he did though.

Well, there was only one arrest, so yeah. :P

He has a history of getting extremely drunk at the show. Passing out in stairwells and trying to arm wrestle Ben Heck, and I heard he vomited on/in some of the pinball peoples' property. I imagine that's not the end of the list, either. He might have been the guy that dumped a beer on Primal Rage II last year, for all I know (not saying he is, because I don't know, but it jives).

I'm sure his photo is being kept on file with explicit instructions for security to deny admission next year.

• Like 1

Me and a friend did the drive from vegas to help a buddy run a booth for 2015. We stayed at his house and had more fun there than the show lol (he had an nice arcade room, collection of everything everywhere, even the entire garage was wall to wall of more games etc too) and was really awesome. At the show we had over 12 tables and think were the biggest booth but overall the show was kinda lame. By day 2, we had nothing to do and bored. If your into test carts & protos, we had a huge amount of them we let the museum area use for people to check out.

I doubt i'd go back again though, drive is just too long and not enough going on. I'm looking forward to the upcoming show in portland, which is about 8x bigger with over 150 vendors, auctions and alot more going on.

Note: Man the quality of the 8bit repo guys booth there was terrible. Looked like little kids printed labels and cut them out and glue sticked them on dirty carts. We bought a handful of games but was really disappointed later and wondering what the hell were we thinking lol.

At the show we had over 12 tables and think were the biggest booth but overall the show was kinda lame. By day 2, we had nothing to do and bored. If your into test carts & protos, we had a huge amount of them we let the museum area use for people to check out.

If you have to be tethered to a booth most of the weekend, you're gonna get bored. ;) I get what you're saying, though. As a museum exhibitor I have to admit there's only so much walking around I can do before I just need a break from it all. Part of it is we tend to have specific and focused interests, and these shows can't be all about one thing (pre-NES consoles and computers, in my case). If you don't care about, say, pinball, for some silly reason, that's a big chunk of MGC that's lost on you. That's actually why I'm looking forward to Vintage Computer Fest in Illinois in September--it's all about a particular thing that's particularly interesting to me. :-D And it's a pretty small show (more like a swap-meet, really), which I actually appreciate. It's more relaxed, like just hanging out with friends and like-minded individuals. :)

I wish I could get out to Portland one of these years, it's supposed to be an amazing show. And I see Metal Jesus is one of the panelists this year, it would be cool to see him speak/present. 8x bigger than MGC sounds like a pretty bold claim, though. That would be like three convention centers, at least. I can buy 2x or 3x though. :)

I would think mgc had to have had at least 100 vendors this year.

I don't see how Portland would be 8 times bigger with 150 vendors???

Well it had about 20-30 at most last year. I highly doubt 100 vendors this year. So 8 times that seems very accurate.

Edit**

Holy shit...im am retarded. I have been like wtf is everyone talking about and just realized the convention i was at was super bitcon.....lmao apologies don't know how i mixed those 2 up!

Edited by cjameslv
  • Like 1

If you have to be tethered to a booth most of the weekend, you're gonna get bored. ;) I get what you're saying, though. As a museum exhibitor I have to admit there's only so much walking around I can do before I just need a break from it all. Part of it is we tend to have specific and focused interests, and these shows can't be all about one thing (pre-NES consoles and computers, in my case). If you don't care about, say, pinball, for some silly reason, that's a big chunk of MGC that's lost on you. That's actually why I'm looking forward to Vintage Computer Fest in Illinois in September--it's all about a particular thing that's particularly interesting to me. :-D And it's a pretty small show (more like a swap-meet, really), which I actually appreciate. It's more relaxed, like just hanging out with friends and like-minded individuals. :)

I wish I could get out to Portland one of these years, it's supposed to be an amazing show. And I see Metal Jesus is one of the panelists this year, it would be cool to see him speak/present. 8x bigger than MGC sounds like a pretty bold claim, though. That would be like three convention centers, at least. I can buy 2x or 3x though. :)

I gotta ask, what was your exhibit in the museum?