IGNORED

Introducing "Shadow Gangs" an 80's arcade inspired ninja action game

Hi AtariAge community;
I am Jack, programmer of the upcoming Shadow Gangs game and I am happy to introduce the upcoming 2D platform beat' em up "Shadow Gangs"!.
I've been working for some time now as part of a team on a 2D HD action game that aims to capture and improve on some of the best of what the 80's arcade games gave us.
Games like Shinobi, Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja, Shadow Warriors and other ninja arcade games are it's main inspiration.
The project was in stealth mode, but now we feel it is in a state where we can made it's existence public.
It is still WIP but we plan to have a working demo soon.
Here is some in game pictures and characters:
Demo level (WIP):
2840356_orig.png
Main Character "Dan":
6001699_orig.png
Ninja enemy "James":
9624507_orig.png
Hope you like it and I'll be happy to know what you think of it either here or on the game website
Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'll give an update here at AtariAge as it marks an important milestone.

All the demo characters are mostly finished, and the work now is on making the game play good, fixing bugs and making the graphics/animations look better and fixing them.

We'll also be starting now on the sound effects and music.

Bellow are some in-game snaps. More new images on the gallery.

(images are jpeg for size, quality is not the best).

3834406_orig.jpg

16842_orig.jpg

9666716_orig.jpg

Hope you like it!

• 5 weeks later...
I just received the first music track for Shadow Gangs, and I would like to share with you here.

I personally like it a lot, there another one in the works so I am not sure which of two will end up being in the demo.

I would like also to say that I started on the level design for the demo level.

As a demo level it will be a bit more complex than a simple level 1 and this is in order to give a little idea on what the game has to offer.

My next update will surely be about a video of the game, but meanwhile if you are interested I am posting updates on the website frequently.

Hope you like the music :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I thought I give a new Shadow Gangs update.

Product is near finished, a new great soundtrack is in the works, the musician sent me a new extract of it and it sounds fabulous. I'll put it for download as soon as I get it.

I know I always say a video is coming soon, or the demo soon...but this game is hard work and especially I want it to be the great product I am hoping it will be.

In any case, the demo should be out before the end of March.

Here is some pictures of the game running the latest build.

5498099_orig.jpg

775587_orig.jpg

9647327_orig.jpg

8516064_orig.jpg

901653_orig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone;

I would like to share with you some good news, this month's last weekend I will meet the game background artist Toni Galvez, and we'll be making videos of the game.

So an actual game video will be available before the end of this month.

Another great news, I received Shadow Gangs's second and final music track for the demo.

Please find it here, it manages to be even better than the first track, I kept listening to it the whole day and still do now.

It is an exciting prospect to imagine the whole game having music of this quality from start to finish, which was my objective but I feel lucky to work with such a talented artist.

For you guys that wanted a ninja instead of Dan, Dan will transform to a ninja (you'll still play Dan for those that like him the way he is now, but he will transform to a ninja mid level (so he can use the sword and other ninja powers)).

Here an image showing Dan in ninja suit, as well as the first mission boss:

4172907_orig.jpg

More detail on the news section of game website.

Hope you like it!

• 1 month later...
I thought I'll give a new Shadow Gangs update.

The game is being updated every day, the new backgrounds are under way and they will look nothing like the originals. They will be very detailed and will have an extra parallax layer that will add a lot of atmosphere to the game.

is now my inspiration in relation to the backgrounds variations and amount of static object, so expect a completely different and better looking backgrounds.

Other fixes are related to engine fixes, 3 checkpoints instead of 1, new knifeman with a new flying attack type, better AI, fixed camera, some prone guys will now stand up when Dan is near (not all will stand up!) and many fixes and new features have gone in.

I leave you with Dan in ninja form, hope you like it:

19330_orig.png

and the end boss of one of the games mission (yes, Freddy!):

9003964_orig.png

Development is still going on, stay tuned!

Edited by ShadowGangs

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone;

Finally I am proud to present the new Shadow Gangs, with new backgrounds (pictures bellow), and many more fixes and enhancements that pictures can't convey.

I am also excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo, and the new and final pre Kickstarter video will be both available at the same time at the end of next week, Saturday or Sunday, most probably Sunday 22nd of May.

Aside from preparing the demo, I will now prepare for the kickstarter campaign. To this end, I am going to dress up in big detail what

Shadow Gangs is about, what enemies are there, what levels, what new weapons can Dan and his ninja form use, how they can use it, and what

the ninja form add to Dan capability wise.

Rendez-vous at the end of next week, the demo will be available then for download (pc version), and a new video and final video will be uploaded, and I will also announce the kickstarter date!

8086438_orig.jpg

3486393_orig.jpg

571246_orig.jpg

7448356_orig.jpg

5526136_orig.jpg

1835501_orig.jpg

2185186_orig.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads section here.
It's the PC version, it should run fine on a 1ghz PC with Intel graphics, but let me know if you have any issues running it.
You may need to install Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable here if the Demo won't start, I didn't need to but just in case.
A new video has been uploaded:
A new great music track is also available, here or in the downloads section. It's included in the demo and can be heard if you finish the demo.
The kickstarter date is now set, it's the 25th of June 2016. If you liked the demo and want this game to materialise, please contribute to the crowdfunding.
These kind of games like Shadow Gangs won't be brought back by big game companies, or the likes of Sega, Capcom etc...., they all seem to have moved to 3D and other new fancy gameplay styles etc..., so don't wait for them to release something like Shadow Gangs.
Also feedback on the game all over the internet, here in Mameworld and friends has been very important, and this new demo is showing that.
Apart from the new backgrounds, many enhancements and fixes have gone in.
I really hope you enjoy it!
937277_orig.gif

Just to say that I received enough feedback about the difficulty being too hard even in Easy mode, so I added 3 more checkpoints on all difficulty modes, and lessened the number of dangerous situations in Easy mode.

It should be an easy ride now icon_smile.gif.

(In easy, other modes are still challenging).

New demo version available at the same place here.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone;

I uploaded a new video of me playing in hard mode with melee only (mostly, one miss near the end), and no deaths.

The game also had a speed increase for Dan (and some enemies to keep the balance), as well as sharper melee attacks.

I think it plays much better than before.

Many other fixes has gone in.

In relation to the kickstarter, Dan in ninja form will have an assault rifle as projectile weapon, I think it's much better this way than having some kind of fire shuriken or super shuriken or the like.

Here is the video that I wanted to do before the kickstarter to show the game potential more:

In relation to the kickstarter, Dan in ninja form will have an assault rifle as projectile weapon, I think it's much better this way than having some kind of fire shuriken or super shuriken or the like.

Just a suggestion, a MAC 10 would scream 1980's and look sweet in a ninja's hand. Sorry, just had to throw that out there.

Just a suggestion, a MAC 10 would scream 1980's and look sweet in a ninja's hand. Sorry, just had to throw that out there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

But, the game setting is now, not the 80's. I mean it is inspired by the 80's games but the story if the game is set now.

I have chosen to give Dan an M16 A4 assault rifle.

• 3 months later...
evilfreddy-intro3_orig.png

Hi everyone;

I didn't post any update from the time of the Kickstarter end, but I would to let you know that Shadow Gangs development is ongoing.

The scope of the game, and the quality is also getting a big lift, with many improvements and enhancements.

Also, now it will be more an action/adventure, with many secrets to find/items to use, than a pure action game.

Above is the mission 4 boss (actual in-game sprite), more info and updates on the website.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to share a WIP of Shadow Gangs, showing here boss Freddy.

Still not polished, very buggy, no proper sounds or effects, and many sprites of Dan here will be changed (walk animation and anything which doesn't look good).

Also Video quality is not great, I made it with an underpowered laptop.

But I wanted to share with you this to show this game is progressing.

Hope you like it!.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...