IGNORED

New MESS GUI Launcher

Shift838

I am looking forward to it, as I have been training on some VB and .NET as well as C# and MS SQL server. Being a Dev now I want to learn.

VB .NET is probably one of the easiest to learn. C# has a few things you need to get used to like the { and } brackets. you always must have a matching set. If you are familiar with powershell then you should be good there.

SQL server is a good piece of knowledge to have. Most corporations will use SQL over Oracle.

I just develop on the side as I don't think I would be happy to code on a full time basis. You can get stuck on a piece of code and loose sleep over it. I have found myself dreaming about it once in a while figure it out in my dream and it just clicks. Of course I can't go back to sleep until I fix it and verify it works.

With my job I can develop on the side with no deadlines. just things I want to do in order to improve something I am using.

so as far as I am concerned it's a WIN WIN for me.

I am thinking of creating some 'Favorite' buttons to load and execute your favorite configuration utilizing the Function Keys.

How many different favorite configs does anyone think should be configured. I have 4 on there now, but easily can put more.

of course going to be able to either press the function keys or click the buttons.

You will also still have the ability to save and load up different config files.

Edited by Cschneider

Is it the number of configurations (which should be unlimited) or the number of favorites within those configurations?

Each function key mapped will store a favorite configuration like:

TI-99/4a wth SAMS, RS232, Serial Bridge, 4 disk drives, HFDC, etc..

So by pressing a Function key or clicking the button will automatically run the config you have saved. without have to load it wth the 'Load configuration' button. Of course you will be able to save as many as you want but only specific ones will be mapped with the FAV#.XML files I am creating.

• Like 1

Updated images in first post.

Left to do:

Code:

Load Configuration Button

Save Configuration Button

Launch Button

and of course documentation!

Will need some testers! PM me if you are interested.

I will compile for use on 32 and 64 bit windows systems.

1. There is a ".dtk" extension which indicated a track dump format. The ".dsk" suffix is used for both sector dumps and track dumps.

2. If possible, please add the cartridge softlist, because this is the official MAME/MESS cartridge support. To select a cartridge, you specify the name of the cartridge (which is also the file name of the ZIP file without the ".zip" extension).

mess ti99_4a -cart exbasic

You can get the softlist by

mess ti99_4a -listsoftware

or by reading the file hash/ti99_cart.xml

• Like 1

I have upgraded to the new MAME 0.166b and needless to say there are some differences between MESS and the new MAME.

For those of you who don't know, all MESS functionality has been incorporated into MAME!

Well some of the switches have changed so I am working to re-code a couple of sections for it to work.

Thanks to Michael Zapf for explaining a few things to me, i am now making sure it works with the latest release of Mame.

Edited by Cschneider

Dang, Chris... That really looks great.

Makes me want to use MESS. ;)

MESS or (the NEW MAME) as all MESS functionality has been included in MAME and more! Has alot of features. You have quite a few configurations at your disposal and cards that are otherwise hard to find for the real TI like the HSGPL and HFDC!

I still like real hardware, but when working on things I tend to pound it out on an emulator like MAME or CLASSIC99, just depends on what I'm doing.

I like MAME (still have to get used to calling it MAME!) as I can work on Geneve stuff as well. Lots of other old systems it can emulate too!

I encourage everyone to check it out.

I'm about ready for some testers now.

I got the error logging working and I just need to put in a couple of If File Exist statements and it will be ready for some testing. I am sure there will be other areas I need to add or suggestions.

If you want to be a tester shoot me a PM.

I have the code almost finished. Verified that I had to recode some changes in order to make sure you can run multiple processes at a time when executing MESS/MAME. Of course with Windows file protection class then a user will not be able to mound one floppy disk image on one system that is running and try to mount it on the second system running. That will error out since the file is already being used.

Includes Hard disk drive images as well. Does not seem to matter with cartridge files.

Well anyway. I have created a SourceForge project for a ticket logging system when I release the beta code.

I am thinking of wrapping up the files into an install wrapper. What is everyone thoughts on this.

Sourceforge located here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ooey-gui-mess-launcher/

Edited by Cschneider

I wrote one years ago called TI-MESS, also in VB. No idea where it is... Couldn't find it on 99er.net... Thought I put it there.

I would have liked to see it. Like many of us I am sure, code something and loose the source. I have done that a few times.

All,

I believe the first BETA code is ready for some testing. I think I have all the logic in that is needed with error checking.

I have verified the code works on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.x and Windows 10!

Compiled to run on both 32bit and 64bit versions with .NET framework 4.0 or higher.

JAVA is required if using TIIMAGETOOL

So I need some testers!

PM me for the code.

• Like 1

JAVA is required if using TIIMAGETOOL

Just a tip if you are concerned about security and possible risks involving Java:

After you install Java, you should launch your browser and check whether the Java installer automatically put a Java support into the browser plugins. If yes, you should deactivate it. The plugin list should be somewhere in your settings. Anyway, it's never a bad idea to check the plugins of your browser regularly. :)

Java usage outside of browsers is not critical, at least not more than with any other application.

All,

I have updated the OOEYGUI to now Version 1.1 RC1.

schmitzi had a request to be able to change the colors for the forms. I have now added that functionality and it stores them in the main XML configuration file.

I have uploaded the latest version on my SourceForge site below:

HERE

• Like 1