IGNORED

HDX time...

Opry99er

It fits on sssd so sending that :)

I'll mail you a disk.. what controller do you have? #1 thing to be sure is that your comm to the pc is correct. If your pc is not using a hardware card (usb maybe?) then 99% of the time the issue is that rs232 port. If it's a hardware rs232 port then I'd lean towards the cable being the issue. If you can get rs322/1 with a straight through cable working with the cfhdxs1 program (included on xb2.8 option U) THEN it should work on rs322/2(hdx) with the dsr too..

Greg

Okay, here's something crazy....

When the TI is not on, I get this:

noconnect_zpsku4sgqie.png

When I turn the TI on, I get this:

connected_zpsioyaxiha.png

BUT...... With the PEB on, my video is all screwed up... It will not show the title screen. BEEP, no title screen.... and also, the TI99HDX software (while it does show some input) does not recognize a TI (as shown by the bottom left of the main window)....

When I unplug the rs232 cable from the card, the title screen comes up and video is fine... just when the cable is plugged in, the PEB on, the video is bad, no title screen.

Something is really wonky here.

Ideas??

Edited by Opry99er

I have a new flex cable coming in the mail soon (thank you, sir!)... I am thinking my problems with disk drives, rs232, etc are not individual isolated problems, but symptoms of a greater sickness. I am also buying some 74LS244s and 74LS245s to replace ICs. I have to get this under control....

For tonight, I have one more test to perform... It will eliminate the serial port on my PC as a problem. I have a db9 to USB adapter I am going to try out instead of running directly into my serial port.

Here are some pix of the board

20151122_215022_zpsa44ott4d.jpg

20151122_214910_zpsadrctihd.jpg

20151122_214834_zpslp7pgubp.jpg

20151122_214813_zpswpv4aw3j.jpg

20151122_215004_zpslegfqws3.jpg

So, I swapped PEBs... I swapped consoles... I swapped 32k cards (3 different cards). I pulled the Disk controller. I have done everything I can think to do and different symptoms keep popping up. As of right now, no matter which slot I put my rs232 in, the system hangs on boot with no title screen. When I pull the card, it boots as normal and the 32k tests out just fine.

I cannot even start the computer with the rs232 card in a PEB slot. With or without a cable attached, it hangs up and won't let the system boot.

Now.... This may very well be a flex card/firehose issue or it may be a rs232 issue. One way or another, something is very bad in Who-ville.

All solder joints on the rs232 card look to be in good shape, the daughterboard is seated down nicely. I haven't hooked my disk system back up yet so, right now, the only cards in my PBox are the 32k and flex interface.

Based on all the swapping I have done and whatnot, one or more of the following is true (although I wouldn't be surprised if they are ALL true)

1) My disk system has a short in the line somewhere

2) My rs232 HDX DSR is corrupt and the battery is bad

3) My flex cable has a short or a crimp in it somewhere AND/OR the 245 buffer in the connecting box is bad.

4) The 245 buffers in both of my operational consoles are bad

That is a WHOLE LOT to try and diagnose and debug, but with a flaky disk system and a non-functioning rs232 that hangs my console on boot, I don't know where else to go with it.

I am open to any and all suggestions. :)

Hmmmmm.... that sounds familiar Owen! << CLICK HERE >>

** EDIT **

Removing the battery will clear the corrupt memory and the system will boot again... normally you would just reload the DSR, but it appears you need a physical diskette to restore it. Oh yeah, once the memory screws up... forget the battery, buy a new one.

Edited by --- Ω ---

Hooked up the computers again with XB2.7, this time running CFHDXS1 on the 2.7 cart. It DID light up the rs232 card when I selected the program, but I was greeted with a freeze and some maxed out volume channels doing all kinds of crazy things. It was quite unpleasant.

Repeated the test 3 times and each time got the same results.

On the plus side, the HDX program on the PC side did register a CTS. So, that was a welcome plus. :)

Unfortunately, even bootstrapping is impossible, because XB does not recognize the rs232 card anymore.

Fortunately, there is a DSR on it's way to my house. :) (thanks Greg!)

Hooked up the computers again with XB2.7, this time running CFHDXS1 on the 2.7 cart. It DID light up the rs232 card when I selected the program, but I was greeted with a freeze and some maxed out volume channels doing all kinds of crazy things. It was quite unpleasant.

Repeated the test 3 times and each time got the same results.

On the plus side, the HDX program on the PC side did register a CTS. So, that was a welcome plus. :)

Unfortunately, even bootstrapping is impossible, because XB does not recognize the rs232 card anymore.

Fortunately, there is a DSR on it's way to my house. :) (thanks Greg!)

did you say you had another rs232 card? Try the software solution with that :) You should have the disks by Friday latest

Greg

I do not have a spare rs232. I DID, but had to sell it when getting the down payment for the house. I USED to have 3 of them, but I do not even remember what happened to the third card.

And yea, with my disk system recently renewed and running beautifully, I will be fully operational in no time. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New DSR loaded successfully. Still no ability to transfer. I'm out of ideas. CFHDX1 locks up and sends terrible sounds out of the speakers, the HDX program on the PC will not register the connection properly... I hate HATE rs232 cards...

I have nobody in town that has replacement adapters or cables to debug my connection... I am out of options. Only thing I can think to do now is try hooking up an audio cable from my PC to my cassette deck and try recording the audio that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... Two smallish updates:

A new flex cable card has solved my disk/32k garbage woes... :)

A straight through serial interface to the PC, however, has not solved my rs232 transfer woes... Cannot get TI99HDX or Web99 to recognize my TI as anything other than a CTS and DSR.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I get no recognition from the PC software when I fire up the TI or when I try to run CFHDX from my XB2.7 suite.

When running CFHDX, identifying HDX1 as the source only gives error 6 and does not light up my card.

Going to try a few more things before bed. Wish me luck!!!

• Like 1