IGNORED

HSC12 Round 17: PAD & "Turn the Paddles" Tourney

PAD & Turn the Paddles

It's been a long time coming but next up we have a Paddles round :party: If you haven't got a set there is time to grab some as this is a 4 week round. Better still get 2 sets (=4 paddles) which opens up loads of fun games and makes for a nice evening. Many games also support joystick or keyboard.

This is a good time to join in or return to the High Score Club! Screenshots optional. Post if you need any help :)

Emulator paddle configurations (please let me know any others)

Altirra - input, port 1, mouse paddles A (port 1). Load game then press F12 to enable/disable the paddles you will see "mouse captured" on the top bar.

Atari 800 Win+4.0 - input mouse paddles. input, mouse device, paddles. Load game then press F12 to enable/disable them

emulator paddles use the left/right mouse button as fire, and left right mouse to move

PAD v1.83

pad.png

If you only want to play the main game then it's PAD v1.83, the newish breakout game from NRV. Superb work here. Play on Extra mode (the default). A nice feature is you can configure the paddles' sensitivity. Press C to select controller: you can use Paddle 1-4. Press fire to start (left mouse button is emulated paddle button) You can also play using ST or Amiga Mouses, yes mouses. Full HSC points. NTSC and PAL versions. Download from fandal or use the ATR attached below (disk 2). Info Table on Post #2

"Turn the Paddles" Tourney

I've put together two disks full of paddles games, most are quick to play, bluecat says they are all quick to play for her as she is usually out after about 1 minute! Probably too many but we'll see how it goes! Play and post scores and more importantly have fun. Checkout atarimania for details on the games. PLEASE PLAY ON PADDLES OR EMULATED PADDLES IF POSSIBLE. KEEP A LOOKOUT HERE FOR CHANGES TO THE SETTINGS as I will update things as we go. Scoring and Tables on post #3. No this won't necessarily be fair :-D

Round now finishes SATURDAY 31ST OCTOBER *6*pm UK TIME

Flop Super Ball - another bat n baller [PJK]

Separate download - Fandal (ATR) recently created some new levels so we'll give them a play :thumbsup:

Re-download as Fandal has updated this to zero the high score - as it doesn't show your score at the end of the go! Bonus point for highest level reached

flop_super_ball.png

Disk 1/2 (v.3) Turn the Paddles - Disk 1 of 2.ATR

aliens.pngbirdfood.pngcastle_crisis.pngchiseler.pngchicken.pnglivewire_2.pngspace_eggs.pngwild_west.gif

Aliens - shoot the blighters!

Birdfood v1.2 - bonus only: newish game from mr-atari, play multi player (can't seem to get a 1 player worm to move). info [PJ]

Castle Crisis - superb Warlords game - for all abilities - hold in fire to collect the fire pall but not too long as it burns your own castle! play on 1 player. Multiplayer Bonus: 1 point per additional person so fill your boots [P]

Chiseler - it's super breakout jim but not as we know it. info [P]

Chicken (synapse) - Catch the eggs, jump over the chicks, all in a day's work my friend. If you drop the first egg it's game over! Disk 1 updated with clucking version [P]

Live Wire 2 - shooter - Another Tom Hudson gem. Select [F3] for controls [PJ]

Space Eggs - shooter - Option [F4] then Select [F3] to configure controls [PJK]

Wild West - disk 1 updated, now works on altirra impressive Kaboom style game from Page 6 magazine (and ACE newsletter). Fairly easy, so if you score over 10,000 take your screenshot at the end of that wave; you will score 10,000 plus the number of hats (lives) you have at the bottom of the screen.

Disk 2/2 Turn the Paddles - Disk 2 of 2.ATR

pad.pngplattermania.pngsneakers.pngspys_demise.png

PAD v1.83 - NTSC & PAL versions - main HSC game

Plattermania - a bit too long to play so top players play starting on level 6. The game goes up and down levels depending on how you do [P]

bonus point for highest level reached

Sneakers - shooter - a new one to me and it looks good. Press Option [F4] to enable paddles: P shown on screen. [PJ] Doesn't show score for long at end of go!

Spy's Demise - crush your little spy guy with an assortment of lifts. Hard, but very playable indeed, and you *can* beat the first screen! "Just one more go" guaranteed :thumbsup: [PJK]

Special bonus

Bomber - a brand new Kaboom style game from Xuel and Jose.

>>>DOWNLOAD post abbuc version HERE<<<

Not released yet but available to abbuc members - around 30 euros for a year's membership - you can pay by paypal and download the 7 software contest games (thats about 4 quid a game folks), including one from your's truly, and get to vote in this year's contest. Email Wolfgang Burger, his email address is: wolfgang at abbuc dot de - or contact atariage members bunsen or skr directly :)

Have Fun ;)

Edited by therealbountybob
updates in italics - BOMBER NOW RELEASED

The tables will appear here (by the magic HSC fairies) :-o :D

PAD (default settings - paddles or mouse if possible)

standard HSC points

1st therealbountybob (p) 134,770 12pts#

2nd McKong (p) 130,710 11pts
3rd SHiNjide (p) 104,420 10pts
4th Bunsen (p) 73,520 9pts
5th D-LO (n) 58,520 8pts
6th jblenkle (n) 49,420 7pts
7th ballyalley (n) 49,400 7pts*
8th bluecat (p) 35,280 5pts
*bonus point for additional player (human!)

:)

updated

Turn the Paddles Tourney (paddles if possible)

Scoring for each game shown on tables below

Rules and Game Bonuses see first post

Tourney Bonuses (excludes bomber & birdfood)

1pt for highest total score

3pts for NTSC players playing all the games

5pts for playing ALL the games with paddles/emulated paddles (to compensate the difficulty)

Special Bonuses

1pt bonus for playing bomber (new abbuc game)

Birdfood multiplayer only - 1pt per extra player

Castle Crisis multiplayer - 1pt per extra player

Final Tables

1st McKong (718,274) 71 points 15 Points

2nd trbb (696,391) 69 points 12 Points

3rd Bunsen (371,452) 61 points 11 Points

4th SHiNjide (237,703) 44 points 9 Points

5th roadrunner (8,936) 17 points 4 Points

6th sleepy (18,632) 8 points 2 Points

7th bluecat (0) 1 point 1 Point

Games Tables as JPegs - open one and then press L/R cursor to view another one ;)

post-19705-0-93648800-1446314827_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-32731900-1446314831_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-31591800-1446314834_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-26667200-1446314837_thumb.jpg

Updated

"PAD" uses the Amiga mouse. Neat! I just borrowed one from a friend of mine so that I can try-out the in-progress Atari GUI (http://atari8.co.uk/gui/). Playing a game using the Amiga mouse sounds very cool, although I'm rather surprised that the Atari can do it; I've read that to read the Amiga mouse takes many clock cycles on the Atari 8-Bit systems.

I wrote a review in 1997 of one of my favorite Amiga games called "Megaball." It is also an Arkanoid-type game, which reminds me strongly of "PAD." Here is a link to my review of "Megaball" for any Amiga fans that might be interested in checking that game out.

http://file:///H:/adam_dir/ocgs%20website%20%28Current%29/articles/top_ten_part_2/top_ten_part_2.html#AmigaMegaball3

There are lots of great-sounding games this round!

• Like 1

OK, I give...how do you start PAD using Altirra? F2 supposed to be the start key, but I can't get anything to happen.

It's the fire button - after emulating paddles try the left mouse button which should be the paddles button. I'll update the instructions on the 1st post :)

I played PAD did a few screens 60,720. It's nice that you can choose your route L/R exits and looks like the game is easier than it was before re the gold bricks are not needed - on the default Extra mode at least :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-04324300-1444174415_thumb.jpg

Bird Food 817 WTF?!

Castle Crisis. Couldn't get this one working, or didn't know how to play it!

Configure the paddles then press left mouse button (paddle button) and 1 player game will start - then it's left/right to move to defend your castle - hold fire to catch dragon ball!

There are lots of great-sounding games this round!

Tried to pick some good ones and perhaps a few lesser knowns and also support some of the recent work from the Atari freaks (fandal, mr-Atari, nrv, xuel/jose) :thumbsup:

It seems that I first have to fix my paddles... :-D

Sleeπ

JITTERY PADDLES MIGHT IMPROVE AFTER A FEW PLAYS EACH SESSION. PAD is great as you can select Paddle 1 or 2 as usually the 2nd paddle works better from less use!

PLEASE TRY AND USE PADDLE EMULATION IF YOU CAN GUYS, or mouse then joystick/keyboard only if you can't play a game otherwise :thumbsup:

Nope...mouse still not working for me. I switched back to joystick and was able to fire the ball off, but I had no left-right movement. This may take some experimenting.

I think I've got paddles someplace...I'll have to try to run this on real equipment.

It's the fire button - after emulating paddles try the left mouse button which should be the paddles button. I'll update the instructions on the 1st post :)

I played PAD did a few screens 60,720. It's nice that you can choose your route L/R exits and looks like the game is easier than it was before re the gold bricks are not needed - on the default Extra mode at least :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifPAD.jpg

Nope...mouse still not working for me. I switched back to joystick and was able to fire the ball off, but I had no left-right movement. This may take some experimenting.

I think I've got paddles someplace...I'll have to try to run this on real equipment.

After pressing F12 check it shows "mouse captured" on the top of the altirra window.

on the game's title screen press C to change the controller to Paddle 1

Real kit and paddles will be more fun guaranteed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OK, finally got it working...thanks...for some reason on my computer it's the right mouse button that starts it, not the left.

After pressing F12 check it shows "mouse captured" on the top of the altirra window.

on the game's title screen press C to change the controller to Paddle 1

Real kit and paddles will be more fun guaranteed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I played one game of "PAD" so far. Even after just one game, I like this it a lot-- for more than I expected to care about what I thought was going to be a knock-off game. Does "PAD" stand for anything besides, I presume, paddle? It has great control and my paddles are in perfect shape. I cleaned them semi-recently and I can sure tell that I did a good job. I reached the third level and almost cleared it. I thought I was going to be stuck on the first level as I had just one brick left and it took me a really long time to clear it. Here's my score for PAD:

PAD (49,400)(Atari 130XE, NTSC)

post-4925-0-90674700-1444240647_thumb.jpg

PAD controls extremely well. I was able to play triple-ball for far longer than normal with these Breakout-type games because of the ease of handling the ball. PAD is certainly a keeper for me! Thanks for unearthing this game, TRBB, otherwise I never would have heard of it.

My favorite power-up in PAD, that I've seen so far, is the X pellet. It makes the ball go through the bricks; I love it. In some of these games you can get lasers. Does this game have allow the player to gain a power-up to shoot bricks? Are there docs for this game? Does anyone have any game-specific or generic ball-and-paddle-game tips?

Rules Questions for this round:

1. I expect that we start-off on the default level of all games, right?
  2. How does the scoring work for the non-main games (i.e. not PAD)? Are they worth one point each?

• Like 1

Thanks for reporting back everyone :thumbsup:

Couldn't get Wild Wilk West to work t all on keyboard or mouse in Altirra

WILDWEST OK on real hardware - probably the menu clashing - try one from atarionline.pl and report back - I'll see if I can get one to run on the menu and re-issue it at the weekend

... Does this game have allow the player to gain a power-up to shoot bricks? Are there docs for this game? Does anyone have any game-specific or generic ball-and-paddle-game tips?

Rules Questions for this round:

1. I expect that we start-off on the default level of all games, right?
  2. How does the scoring work for the non-main games (i.e. not PAD)? Are they worth one point each?

PAD Don;t think there is a shoot. I've added links to the PAD, Birdfood and other threads to the first post.

1. Default setttings for all games unless specified on the first post (in red text) - I will update this as I play the games so check for updates (in italics).

2. I'll see how I do compared to McKong and then sort out the scoring :-D :grin: probably some sort of tourney scoring with fixed points on each game - if everyone wants to play all the games we could have a handicapped PAD as part of the tourney too :)

I´ve a question about Flop Super Ball: At the start (after loading), the displayed highscore isn´t zero:

Is this correct? I must get more then 50.000 points to see my score displayed to take a pic?

Sleeπ

FLOP SUPER BALL Looks like it and worse still it doesn't show your score at the end of the go - but I've asked Fandal to zero the high score for us :thumbsup:

Flop Super Ball 40,000 (6)

Wild West huh it's too easy! So - if you score over 10,000 take your screenshot at the end of that wave the score will be 10,000 plus the number of hats (lives) you have at the bottom of the screen:

I had 9 so 10,009 :)