IGNORED

Opcode Games News - Q3 2015

opcode

Time for another Opcode Games news bulletin... :)

Super Game Module: we will finally start shipping the 2nd run of our SGM this quarter. As of this writing, less than 30 of the planned 200 modules are still available for pre-order, so hurry up as there is no guarantee there will be a 3rd run.

3rd party games: Plans are for have all 3rd party work concluded by later October. We are actually late here, but Gauntlet is giving us a hard time. It will be well worth the effort and wait though.

Lady Bug Arcade: We plan to spend most of this quarter working on the new Lady Bug port. Game is about 30% done. We hope to have a video as soon as we can get some preliminary sprite driver implemented. Still aiming for a Q1 2016 release.

2016: Next year will be all about the games. We plan to have 3 games out by the end of the year, and we are really committed to that. And with Grazy now as part of the Opcode Games team, things are looking brighter than ever.

Personal stuff: I am now officially an US citizen. Additional, me and Grazy got married last September and we are now in process of applying for her green card so she can immigrate to the US as well. Things are finally starting to look good, after two terrible years.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 15

Lady Bug Arcade: We plan to spend most of this quarter working on the new Lady Bug port. Game is about 30% done. We hope to have a video as soon as we can get some preliminary sprite driver implemented. Still aiming for a Q1 2016 release.

Congrats on the citizenship, I know how much of a drag it can be.

Will Lady Bug Arcade have the veggie hunt or the free game for spelling SPECIAL? I much prefer the CV version but I can understand if people want a "perfect" arcade port....just seems like a waste. It was always a goal for me to spell SPECIAL out on the CV to rack up a huge score. :)

• Like 1

Congrats on the citizenship, I know how much of a drag it can be.

Will Lady Bug Arcade have the veggie hunt or the free game for spelling SPECIAL? I much prefer the CV version but I can understand if people want a "perfect" arcade port....just seems like a waste. It was always a goal for me to spell SPECIAL out on the CV to rack up a huge score. :)

That is the beauty of including an option screen, we can have both. But I was thinking of perhaps a 3rd solution, like rewarding the player 3 extra lives.

• Like 2

oooo ... Wasn't this you... "The September 2015 Team Pixelboy ColecoVision homebrew games have been released, with more new games coming this Christmas!" Perhaps announcement should have said 'update'... Either way, it's exciting news ....

Oh, okay, that's what you meant. The fact that I'm releasing new games this Christmas is actually rather old news. :)

That doesn't make it any less exciting for me... We're getting new games for a system that's over 30 years old as well as news that the SGM 2nd run is finally shipping and that more arcade ports are on the horizon... Not to mention Ed just officially became a US national treasure ;) ... Switch to right brain and regress to 11 years old for just a moment... .This is flippen awesome news and I'm damn excited about it!

Oh, okay, that's what you meant. The fact that I'm releasing new games this Christmas is actually rather old news. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I and Grazy have been working hard to relaunch Opcode Games soon. In addition to games, we are restructuring Opcode to make it operate in a much more professional way. For example, for the past few years our customer service has been near nonexistent, and even before that it was already lacking. We are also working hard to have a much better presence online, a steadier release schedule and more.

Hopefully you will start seeing the results of our efforts soon, but for now we would like to share our tentative release schedule for the first half of 2016:

Winter 2015/2016 - Super Game Module, Penguin Adventure

Spring 2016 - Lady Bug

Summer 2016 - Gradius, Donkey Kong

• Like 6

I and Grazy have been working hard to relaunch Opcode Games soon. In addition to games, we are restructuring Opcode to make it operate in a much more professional way. For example, for the past few years our customer service has been near nonexistent, and even before that it was already lacking. We are also working hard to have a much better presence online, a steadier release schedule and more.

Hopefully you will start seeing the results of our efforts soon, but for now we would like to share our tentative release schedule for the first half of 2016:

Spring 2016 - Lady Bug

That all sounds good. Any news to report about the MSX port of Gauntlet, by the way? I'd like to release the game in the near future.

That all sounds good. Any news to report about the MSX port of Gauntlet, by the way? I'd like to release the game in the near future.

Sure, about 70% done. Some of the code is tricky, as they moved things around a lot, and the code is self modifying.

Spring 2016 - Lady Bug

Great news Eduardo, and congrats to you and Grazy on your nuptials by the way. ??

I'm going to need to see a video of this game in action before I commit to buying. The one released BITD is already so good that it's tough for me to justify buying another version of this game.

Have you tried the arcade version? Controls for once are smoother, not to mention a number of small details missing in the ColecoVision version. Gameplay wise, the new version will play 100% arcade perfect, with many graphic and sound improvements, like more colorful sprites and 6 chanels sound system, just like the arcade.

• Like 1

Have you tried the arcade version? Controls for once are smoother, not to mention a number of small details missing in the ColecoVision version. Gameplay wise, the new version will play 100% arcade perfect, with many graphic and sound improvements, like more colorful sprites and 6 chanels sound system, just like the arcade.

While I admit that Lady Bug probably wouldn't have been on my first choice list from you for the SGM, I have to say that I *LOVE* the arcade version of the game, and as good as the ColecoVision version was (it's also one of my favorite CV games) I do agree that the arcade version does have a lot of improvements and details over the CV version. I can tell this may be more of a passion project for you wanting to port one of your favorite games? Either way, I do look forward to playing an improved Lady Bug on the CV!

Being completely honest, the decision about porting Lady Bug now was influenced by a number of factors. It is indeed one of my all time favorite games, and while I agree it was one of the best ports the cv had, it was still lacking in a few key areas, and controls were a bit stiff.

The decision also had to do with findig a suitable release schedule for the first three years of our new Opcode, where we had 2 or 3 arcade ports a year, and Lady Bug was a suitable pairing for the much more complex (from a porting perspective) Donkey Kong. The 3rd arcade port planned for next year is also a "re-port", though in this case the original wasn't a Coleco release.

The unique thing about the CV is that it is imho the most capable system from the Atari era as far as arcade ports go. While some may argue the 7800 has better graphics, its native resolution (160 horizontal pixels) will get in the way of properly and accurately reproducing most arcade games, not to mention it used the less popular (in arcade terms) 6502 cpu. So re-porting some of these early titles is a good way to demonstrate how good the CV architecture is, assuming of course the original game is worth the effort.

Secondly, wasn't it Coleco's plans for the original SGM to produce better ports of existing games?

But don't worry, in 2017 and 2018 we will get to several arcade games that have never been ported before on the CV.

• Like 2

Absolutely! So... "Super Lady Bug" then? :)

Bah, if it was up to me, I would leave the "Super" aside (because it's been used to death) and call it "Lady Bug - The Arcade Experience". Then Opcode could make an entire series called "The Arcade Experience Series", which would include Lady Bug, Popeye, Pengo, Arkanoid, and all the other arcade ports he's got started, perhaps even DKA.

Just my two cents.

• Like 4